Can game balance be used as a means of catching scum?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
shelper
shelper
Moxious
shelper
Moxious
Moxious

Can game balance be used as a means of catching scum?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:54 pm

Post by shelper »

Myself and a couple of other players had an interesting AIM game yesterday night. There were 2 night kills night 1 one of the victims being scum, two docs outed themselves that day and protected eachother the next night, and no kills happened night 2.
I was one of the docs, and figured that a scum could claim doc, and choose not to kill to appear as a doctor, but that would make the setup 2 scum, 1 SK, 1 doc and three townies.
The other doc believed my claim saying "you have to be who you say you are, otherwise the game isn't balanced".

Personally, i don't think you can rely on game balance that heavily. Now that i look back on it, he was probably right in this case, but in larger games, or playing with mods that have a tendency to think of insane setups, i don't think it can be relied upon like that.

Your thoughts?
Flying Dutchman
Flying Dutchman
I never think
Flying Dutchman
I never think
I never think

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:01 am

Post by Flying Dutchman »

Well, the probability is high that the game is well balanced, but as the saying goes:

Never underestimate the unpredictability of probability!

In mafia games this is especially true, trying to outguess the mod often won't do any good, and balance can be achieved on many ways, so you never should feel too certain about what you're up against.
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:01 am

Post by Internet Stranger »

That is te de-facto tactic of determining if a role claim is valid.
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
shadyforce
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:32 am

Post by shadyforce »

It can be used of course. Just always remember, it's not absolute. You might increase the cnahces of a role being valid (or false) but it's not 100% certain because all mods are human. And you have to take into account that there might be other hidden things that would balance a game instead.
[size=75][color=darkblue]I'm never wrong... well I was wrong once but that was when I thought I'd made a mistake but hadn't.[/color][/size]
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:34 am

Post by Norinel »

There's a discussion of something like this on the Wiki under PseudoMetaGaming, although not from a balance perspective.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”