Mini 495 - Mafia on a Plane! GAME OVER! =)

vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #825 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:36 am

Post by vollkan »

Gem wrote: I assume that this is a typo, and that you are referring to my earlier listing of dybeck as 50% scum/town?
Yeah, sorry about that.
Gem wrote: Completely understandable; I realize that my earlier support for him has formed a tenuous link between us.
However, it's worth pointing out that dybeck has been silent as far as my posts are concerned.
So: on the off-chance that I am removed from the game before he is, please don't take my confirmed alignment as any indication of his. I am pro-town; he may still be scum.
If anything, I would consider him ignoring your posts a scum-buddy tell.
Gemelli
Gemelli
Goon
Gemelli
Goon
Goon

Post Post #826 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:38 am

Post by Gemelli »

vollkan wrote:If anything, I would consider him ignoring your posts a scum-buddy tell.
Agreed. However, it occurred to me that if he IS scum, he could potentially use my death to bolster a claim of his own pro-town alignment. I just wanted to raise a flag now in the event that this situation comes up down the road.
"Specialization is for insects." --Heinlein

[i]Limited Access most weekends[/i]
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #827 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:55 am

Post by vollkan »

Gem wrote: Agreed. However, it occurred to me that if he IS scum, he could potentially use my death to bolster a claim of his own pro-town alignment. I just wanted to raise a flag now in the event that this situation comes up down the road
No he couldn't. If you died and came up town it would certainly not bolster him saying he is pro-town.

This really smacks of you just trying to assert that you are pro-town. Maybe you are pre-empting a mafDybeck lynch and are trying to distance yourself. The point is, I don't like it.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #828 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:11 am

Post by shaft.ed »

dybeck wrote:
Oman wrote:I don't think for a SECOND she was the likely choice for vig
Well... if you believe orig's claim, this is exactly what you do have to think.

And carrotcake was about as protown as it gets. Your scumdar must just be off. :P
Evidence please. You know like those things Carrotcake did that were "as pro-town as it gets."
Gemelli
Gemelli
Goon
Gemelli
Goon
Goon

Post Post #829 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:28 am

Post by Gemelli »

vollkan wrote:
Gem wrote: Agreed. However, it occurred to me that if he IS scum, he could potentially use my death to bolster a claim of his own pro-town alignment. I just wanted to raise a flag now in the event that this situation comes up down the road
No he couldn't. If you died and came up town it would certainly not bolster him saying he is pro-town.
Maybe this is just a case of me being new. But I could forsee an argument -- not a strong one, mind you -- being made that "here's a confirmed pro-town player that supported me, so shouldn't you think twice about suspecting me?" I wanted to preemptively arm the town with my own thoughts on this in advance. Why do you find that scenario unlikely?

Frankly, I'm puzzled as to why Dybeck has been ignoring me (as in, barely acknowledging my presence) since I replaced into the game, especially when he had been suspecting Dr. BlackStrike pretty heavily on Day 1. It's not like I haven't been providing fodder for discussion or comment ...
vollkan wrote:This really smacks of you just trying to assert that you are pro-town. Maybe you are pre-empting a mafDybeck lynch and are trying to distance yourself. The point is, I don't like it.
I realized as I was posting 823 that there is really no way to say that last sentence without it sounding fishy. I originally posted it as a conditional ("If I am confirmed town ...") but went with the declarative because it reflects my perspective. In any case, I would like to think that my collected posts in this game demonstrate what my alignment is, and that all of our players will form their own opinions accordingly.

Given your strong stance against Dybeck, I expect that there is very little I can post about him at this point -- good OR bad -- without raising your suspicions to some extent. That being said, I believe that it's in the town's best interests for me to continue to speak my mind as ideas and opinions arise, regardless of how popular or unpopular I think my input may be. I don't care nearly as much about the prospect of being lynched or NK'd as I do about trying to give the town the information we need to make the best decisions possible.

shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #830 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:40 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Gemelli, I get your point, and vollkan does to. He's just pointing out that what you've said has very little bearing on our opinions for the reasons he stated. He will go back and forth with you on this for eternity if you are up for it. That's just the way he is about the details. But please continue to speak your mind.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #831 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:41 am

Post by shaft.ed »

OK Elias, you haven't postd for 8 days, and you haven't posted content for
. I'm tired of it. Either get on the ball or ask for a replacement please. It's for the good of the game.
dybeck
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
Ooh ooh ooh

Post Post #832 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:30 am

Post by dybeck »

Gemelli wrote:Frankly, I'm puzzled as to why Dybeck has been ignoring me (as in, barely acknowledging my presence) since I replaced into the game, especially when he had been suspecting Dr. BlackStrike pretty heavily on Day 1. It's not like I haven't been providing fodder for discussion or comment ...
What did you want me to say? I don't have any really strong opinions about you. You could be scum for all I know, but I think there are better lynch targets out there.
Eeny. Meeny. Miney. Vote.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #833 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:50 am

Post by shaft.ed »

dybeck, what do you think about Oman?

Actually could you just give a rundown of the whole town as most everyone else has been pretty forthcoming about?
Gemelli
Gemelli
Goon
Gemelli
Goon
Goon

Post Post #834 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:52 am

Post by Gemelli »

OK, here's a consolidated list of everyone's top-4 to date. Please let me know if I've got anything incorrect, or if you'd like to change your list.

Originality:
1. Dybeck :: 2. Lucienne :: 3. Elias :: 4. Oman

Dybeck:
1. NK :: 2. shaft.ed :: 3. vollkan :: 4. Oman

Vollkan:
1. NK :: 2. Dybeck :: 3. Oman :: 4. Elias

Oman:
1. NK :: 2. Dybeck :: 3. Elias :: 4. Lucienne

AlyG:
1. NK :: 2. Dybeck :: 3. Oman :: 4. Elias

Gemelli:
1. NK :: 2. Oman :: 3. Dybeck :: 4. Elias

shaft.ed:
1. NK :: 2. Oman :: 3. Elias :: 4. Dybeck

Lucienne:
1. NK :: 2. Oman :: 3. Dybeck :: 4. Elias

Weighted Town Consensus to Date for Originality's Night Action:

(Position 1 = 4 points, position 2 = 3 points, etc.)

No Kill: 28 points
Dybeck: 18 points
Oman: 15 points
Elias: 10 points
Lucienne: 4 points
Shaft.ed: 3 points
Vollkan: 2 points

I've been giving more thought to Vollkan's advocacy of the "give Originality free rein with our guidance" position. The more I think about it, the less I see how that strategy benefits the town.

As I see it, we have two goals for directing originality this evening:

(1) Improve the town's odds at hitting scum tonight
(2) Vet or refute originality's vig claim

As far as (1) goes, please remember that we are dealing with a player whose views are sharply in contrast with the rest of the town. This is the only player who does NOT include "No kill" in his top 4 list. This is a player whose #2 choice of targets is one of only two votes among the entire town for that player. And of course, this is a player whose judgement resulted in a town kill on night one.

Giving the mafia uncertainty as to what originality might do is a good thing. But the ONLY scenario in which a blanket "use your judgement" approach is superior than a "select from the top 4 choices on this list" approach is if the town fails to include a single mafioso in the consensus list. I find that scenario deeply implausible, assuming that we have 3 mafia in this game at the moment -- it's not like we are assembling these lists at random.

For (2), if originality has a free rein to pick whichever target he thinks best, the town loses its primary tool in being able to deduce originality's alignment. Our goal here is simply to validate whether originality is willing to comply with the town's direction. If we give him the option to pick anyone he likes, even assuming the onus of explanation after the fact, we are implicitly telling him that he can ignore the town's input.

Vollkan: you've mentioned that you want to leave the door open for originality to find a scumtell that everyone else has missed. For the record,
I do not trust his ability to perform detective work on behalf of the town
, and I'm suspicious as to why you are willing to extend this level of trust to him. As such, if he selects a target outside the town's top 4 list, I will be voting for him on the morning of Day 3, regardless of what his explanation might be.

vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #835 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:13 pm

Post by vollkan »

Gem wrote: Maybe this is just a case of me being new. But I could forsee an argument -- not a strong one, mind you -- being made that "here's a confirmed pro-town player that supported me, so shouldn't you think twice about suspecting me?" I wanted to preemptively arm the town with my own thoughts on this in advance. Why do you find that scenario unlikely?
Because the very fact that someone is pro-town means their opinion is founded on lack of knowledge. It proves they were sincere in support, but nothing else. In contrast, a supporting scum player has no basis for subtle support (ie. simply ignoring) other than helping a player, though I concede that scum commonly buddy up to a townie. Nonetheless, you can usually separate buddying behaviour from actual scum relationship behaviour.
shaft.ed wrote: Gemelli, I get your point, and vollkan does to. He's just pointing out that what you've said has very little bearing on our opinions for the reasons he stated. He will go back and forth with you on this for eternity if you are up for it. That's just the way he is about the details. But please continue to speak your mind.
This is true. I know exactly what you are saying Gem, the point is that I think you are wrong.
dybeck wrote: What did you want me to say? I don't have any really strong opinions about you. You could be scum for all I know, but I think there are better lynch targets out there.
More wishy-washy behaviour from dybeck. Perhaps dybeck could do a bit of a reread of Gem and give us a comment?
Gem wrote: I've been giving more thought to Vollkan's advocacy of the "give Originality free rein with our guidance" position. The more I think about it, the less I see how that strategy benefits the town.

As I see it, we have two goals for directing originality this evening:

(1) Improve the town's odds at hitting scum tonight
(2) Vet or refute originality's vig claim

As far as (1) goes, please remember that we are dealing with a player whose views are sharply in contrast with the rest of the town. This is the only player who does NOT include "No kill" in his top 4 list. This is a player whose #2 choice of targets is one of only two votes among the entire town for that player. And of course, this is a player whose judgement resulted in a town kill on night one.

Giving the mafia uncertainty as to what originality might do is a good thing. But the ONLY scenario in which a blanket "use your judgement" approach is superior than a "select from the top 4 choices on this list" approach is if the town fails to include a single mafioso in the consensus list. I find that scenario deeply implausible, assuming that we have 3 mafia in this game at the moment -- it's not like we are assembling these lists at random.

For (2), if originality has a free rein to pick whichever target he thinks best, the town loses its primary tool in being able to deduce originality's alignment. Our goal here is simply to validate whether originality is willing to comply with the town's direction. If we give him the option to pick anyone he likes, even assuming the onus of explanation after the fact, we are implicitly telling him that he can ignore the town's input.

Vollkan: you've mentioned that you want to leave the door open for originality to find a scumtell that everyone else has missed. For the record, I do not trust his ability to perform detective work on behalf of the town, and I'm suspicious as to why you are willing to extend this level of trust to him. As such, if he selects a target outside the town's top 4 list, I will be voting for him on the morning of Day 3, regardless of what his explanation might be.
1) The list probably improves our odds of hitting scum, except for No Kill obviously.
2) This is the one advantage of giving Orig a demand to NK. However, it does not prove his alignment and the opportunity cost is the uncertainty factor.

We need Orig to present the threat that he could kill any mafia tonight, that a mafia could be lynched tomorrow and that orig could NK a mafia on N3 in order to hold this against the mafia. Imagine if, for instance, the mafia are Lucienne, Gemelli and shaft.ed. In that case, there is no threat posed by Orig even if he is limited to No Kill, Dybeck, Oman and Elias.

If Orig is mafia, we have a SK who can only hope to win by getting rid of Orig and his buddies. Thus, I think an Orig NK will be a certainty even if he is demanded not to NK, because the SK needs to off the mafia. The worst thing for the SK would be for the mafia not to NK, thereby clearing Orig.

If Orig is SK, he cannot afford to risk himself being lynched (ie. straying from consensus) but, equally, he needs to get rid of mafia. As such, I would think that SKOrig is much more likely to NK than vigOrig, but is very likely to stick to consensus. If Orig is SK, he needs to get rid of mafia tonight to have a hope of winning. As in, if he does not NK, even if mafia is lynched tomorrow, Orig's NK on N3 is a certainty.

Thus, what we see here is that mafOrig will end up dead, vigOrig may or may not NK and SKOrig has to NK. If Orig survives and does not NK, he is most probably a vig.

My point is that SKOrig can very easily take out one of the top 4 and then get away with it. If we were to blanket ban Orig from NKing, we would therefore be able to know for certain that he is a vig tomorrow. That's one advantage of a blanket ban; I don't know how it measures up though and I will think about it some more.

Also, I need to clarify the "free rein" thing. All I want is for their to be the prospect that Orig could NK anyone and live. That is all we need. To deal with that, all we need to do is say that we will not autolynch Orig. Whilst his lynching may well be the outcome, that uncertainty is crucial. I do not want Orig to have free rein, but I do want him to present a threat to the mafia regardless of who they are.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #836 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:19 pm

Post by Oman »

As with vollkan I think the blanket is the best way to prove a vig over SK. And No Kill wins the poll rather convincingly too (being almost double the second). I agree with everything vollkan said re-SKOrig and how to determine which he is.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Gemelli
Gemelli
Goon
Gemelli
Goon
Goon

Post Post #837 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:23 pm

Post by Gemelli »

vollkan wrote:I know exactly what you are saying Gem, the point is that I think you are wrong.
That's fine. I wasn't out to prove anything with my comment; I wanted to close the door on a potential scum argument. Having made my observation, and been assured that this argument would not work, I am satisfied with letting the matter drop.
vollkan wrote:2) This is the one advantage of giving Orig a demand to NK. However, it does not prove his alignment and the opportunity cost is the uncertainty factor.
I don't think there is ANY way to "prove" originality's alignment until he is removed from the game, and I certainly wasn't suggesting that the top-4 list strategy does that. It DOES provide a stronger basis for assessing alignment than the free-rein approach.
vollkan wrote:We need Orig to present the threat
that he could kill any mafia tonight,
that a mafia could be lynched tomorrow and that orig could NK a mafia on N3 in order to hold this against the mafia.
I've bolded this part of the quote because it's something you've said before, and I still don't agree with it. From a game mechanics point of view, it doesn't matter whether one, two, or all of the mafia are at risk. What matters is that the odds of removing a mafia member are significant.

Assuming that 3/8 of the current field are mafia, a purely random shot from originality gives a 37.5% chance of taking one of them out. If we only manage to get one mafia member into the consensus top 4 list, there is still a 25% chance if he takes a totally random shot -- something the Mafia can't ignore. If we get two mafia into the list, the chance is 50%. And as I've said, in this approach, in addition to providing solid odds of hurting the Mafia, the town gets the extra benefit of determining how closely originality is willing to adhere to the town's wishes.
vollkan wrote:Imagine if, for instance, the mafia are Lucienne, Gemelli and shaft.ed. In that case, there is no threat posed by Orig even if he is limited to No Kill, Dybeck, Oman and Elias.
Granted, but I still think this situation is highly unlikely. If the mafia have been playing so well that their members have avoided suspicion from the
entire town
to date, we're hosed in any event.
vollkan wrote:
(1) If Orig is mafia, we have a SK who can only hope to win by getting rid of Orig and his buddies. Thus, I think an Orig NK will be a certainty
even if he is demanded not to NK, because the SK needs to off the mafia. The worst thing for the SK would be for the mafia not to NK, thereby clearing Orig.

If Orig is SK, he cannot afford to risk himself being lynched (ie. straying from consensus) but, equally, he needs to get rid of mafia. As such, I would think that
(2) SKOrig is much more likely to NK than vigOrig, but is very likely to stick to consensus.
If Orig is SK, he needs to get rid of mafia tonight to have a hope of winning. As in, if he does not NK, even if mafia is lynched tomorrow, Orig's NK on N3 is a certainty.

Thus, what we see here is that mafOrig will end up dead, vigOrig may or may not NK and SKOrig has to NK.
(3) If Orig survives and does not NK, he is most probably a vig.
(1) Wouldn't the SK be just as interested in taking out a claimed tracker at this stage in the game? I don't think we can presume to know for sure that a non-orig SK would necessarily target him first.

(2) Agree to a certain extent, though I would expect him to bend the limits of the town's parameters in order to take out the player he deemed to be the greatest threat. Again, I find it least likely that orig is an SK out of all the possibilities.

(3) I think we have to be very, very cautious about relying on this line of thinking. If the SK may indeed take out the tracker tonight, a mafiaOrig might decide with his buddies that a no-kill night is worth establishing orig as a "confirmed" pro-town role. And if the town isn't interested in protecting orig tonight, and he really *is* a vig, I'd assume that he would become the #1 target for both the SK and mafia alike. Why on earth would either of those groups want to leave a direct threat to their win conditions alive?
vollkan wrote:If we were to blanket ban Orig from NKing, we would therefore be able to know for certain that he is a vig tomorrow.
"Certain?" Absolutely not. We would have more data to make a decision with, but see the scenario above. And it makes me very nervous when someone who is obviously a sound logical thinker uses terms like "certain" when certainty does not in fact exist.
vollkan wrote:Also, I need to clarify the "free rein" thing. All I want is for their to be the prospect that Orig could NK anyone and live. That is all we need.
Again, I strongly dispute the "anyone" element of this argument. We need to have good odds that Orig could NK mafia tonight. It is not necessary for ALL of the mafia to be targettable.
vollkan wrote:To deal with that, all we need to do is say that we will not autolynch Orig. Whilst his lynching may well be the outcome, that uncertainty is crucial. I do not want Orig to have free rein, but I do want him to present a threat to the mafia regardless of who they are.
I guess the distinction is between "autolynch" and "make a decision on orig's alignment based on how well his actions seem to jibe with the town's stated preferences." Regardless of what parameters we set up for originality tonight, I would like to think that the town will react in the latter manner.

vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #838 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:20 pm

Post by vollkan »

Gem wrote: I've bolded this part of the quote because it's something you've said before, and I still don't agree with it. From a game mechanics point of view, it doesn't matter whether one, two, or all of the mafia are at risk. What matters is that the odds of removing a mafia member are significant.

Assuming that 3/8 of the current field are mafia, a purely random shot from originality gives a 37.5% chance of taking one of them out. If we only manage to get one mafia member into the consensus top 4 list, there is still a 25% chance if he takes a totally random shot -- something the Mafia can't ignore. If we get two mafia into the list, the chance is 50%. And as I've said, in this approach, in addition to providing solid odds of hurting the Mafia, the town gets the extra benefit of determining how closely originality is willing to adhere to the town's wishes.
Good point. However, this is assuming that the probability of him not killing is also 25%.
Gem wrote: (1) Wouldn't the SK be just as interested in taking out a claimed tracker at this stage in the game? I don't think we can presume to know for sure that a non-orig SK would necessarily target him first.
Not true. The way things are going, it won't be long before a 3 person mafia is large enough to prevent a lynch. That all but guarantees a loss for the SK. AlyG is a threat, but the mafia threat is larger.
Gem wrote: (3) I think we have to be very, very cautious about relying on this line of thinking. If the SK may indeed take out the tracker tonight, a mafiaOrig might decide with his buddies that a no-kill night is worth establishing orig as a "confirmed" pro-town role. And if the town isn't interested in protecting orig tonight, and he really *is* a vig, I'd assume that he would become the #1 target for both the SK and mafia alike. Why on earth would either of those groups want to leave a direct threat to their win conditions alive?
You just made me realise something VERY IMPORTANT:
SK Orig has effectively already lost. He is guaranteed to be NKed over the next 2 nights unless the three mafia are eliminated today, tonight and tomorrow. In which case he loses anyway because we have majority. If he fails to have mafia killed at any of these, he will die and lose.

This is important because it basically means that SKOrig has no incentive to stick to consensus at all. If we mislynch today, he can just kill at random to mess things up since he can be sure of his death. If we lynch mafia today, he will need to kill mafia to have a hope. In other words, we really bear no control over SkOrig

If Orig is mafia, then he faces the imminent prospect of being SKed. Thus, he will likely kill AlyG.

If we mislynch today and Orig is vig, a misvig can lose us the game. Thus, I think the best course of action in that event is a No Vig.
If we lynch mafia today, then Orig has license to act with due regard to our preferences. His lynch will be likely if breaches this, though not guaranteed.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #839 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:22 pm

Post by vollkan »

Edit:-
Vollkan wrote: This is important because it basically means that SKOrig has no incentive to stick to consensus at all. If we mislynch today, he can just kill at random to mess things up since he can be sure of his death. If we lynch mafia today, he will need to kill mafia to have a hope. In other words, we really bear no control over SkOrig
To maximise his own survival, if SKOrig is going to NK anyone he will choose a likely mafia within consensus. However, if he is convinced the mafia are outside of consensus, he will have to breach it. Since I think the mafia are in consensus, this means that it will be very difficult to separate a vigOrig from a SKOrig if they lynch a person in consensus.
dybeck
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
Ooh ooh ooh

Post Post #840 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:04 pm

Post by dybeck »

vollkan... how can you be SO convinced originality is town that you're willing to fight the whole town just so that he gets his kill tonight?

And how can you advocate not lynching originality if he does another carrotcake? It's crazy!
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #841 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by vollkan »

dybeck wrote: vollkan... how can you be SO convinced originality is town that you're willing to fight the whole town just so that he gets his kill tonight?

And how can you advocate not lynching originality if he does another carrotcake? It's crazy!
Dybeck; you aren't listening to a word of what I say.

I am not "convinced" Orig is pro-town, though I consider it the most likely scenario. It is perfectly possible he is a SK (who has now well and truly lost the game), or he could be a mafia who claimed vig in the hopes of outing a real vig. Certainly, Carrot would not be my first choice for a vigging, but it is not ridiculously outlandish that a pro-town vig might target Carrot.

Furthermore, I do NOT want Orig to kill; if you bothered reading what I have been saying that should have sunk in by now. In fact, why don't I quote my most recent post:
Vollkan wrote: If we mislynch today and Orig is vig, a misvig can lose us the game.
Thus, I think the best course of action in that event is a No Vig.

If we lynch mafia today, then Orig
has license to act with due regard to our preferences. His lynch will be likely if breaches this, though not guaranteed.
What you are saying regarding my position on this matter is complete garbage. Not once have I said that Orig should kill; I have simply been saying that we should not blanket ban outright. There is a tremendous difference which you are completely glossing over.

Finally, "how I can advocate not lynching Orig if he does another carrotcake?" I never said I would not advocate lynching him. I said I do not support a policy of autolynching.

I want to know something dybeck:
Do you think Orig is mafia or SK? In both scenarios, who would you peg as the scum?
Lucienne
Lucienne
Townie
Lucienne
Townie
Townie

Post Post #842 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:32 pm

Post by Lucienne »

Oman wrote:You're estimating my motives, and you're....WRONG!
I'm not seeing any real argument here except "Vollkan is bad!" Maybe you could try again?

Also, I think this is to shaf.ted, but this could be wrong: whoever decided to do the "Top 4" list to kill, why did you choose four, and not, for example, three or five? This wasn't ever really addressed.

I'd further emphasise this because some people (myself included) have put Elias on their list at #4, but I have no real want for him to be killed at all.

originality, I'm lost about post #738. You say the choice between Elias and Gemelli for third place is a "process of elimination". Why then is Oman fourth and not Gemelli, therefore?

Problem with the four point scale - after/if we lynch someone, the effect of their alignment is paramount. A good example of this is Gemelli - if dybeck came up scum if lynched I would suspect him a lot more. Obviously, however, this cannot be placed into the top four just yet though.
originality wrote:My weighing scale isn't secret, its pretty much dybeck=not worth anything and shaft.ed=worth double. (I exaggerate of course, but its something like that. I wouldn't count someone who is scum, would I? And I don't think dybeck is missing from the top 3 of anyone's lists. ) Also whoever we happen to lynch, if the person is scum he gets nothing counted for him, and there's that.
I am curious to note this. Who else's opinions do you consider more worthy than others?
shaft.ed wrote:I think giving orig too much freedom actually plays into scum hands. Given his presumably poor decision in killing Carrotcake, the scum may run a "leave him alive" gambit in which they can bet on originality screwing it up for himself and using poor discretion possibly killing a townie. If orig is in fact pro-town, which I am leaning towards, and he gets us into such a situation it's undoubtedly a town loss. Therefore, if orig kills anyone not in the top 3 and they come up town, I'm autovoting. I obviously can't control the rest of the towns votes, but this is my position on the matter.
This is, of course, an excellent point, and definitely what we want to be thinking. It is completely clear that dybeck's idea of "giving originality free reign" is completely flawed.
dybeck wrote:However, if we let him live, we should tell him EXACTLY what to do.
I hope you realise how misleading and scummy this is. Completely controlling originality is really bad - not least because there is still a chance he could be another killing role (SK), for example. Limiting him so severely loses us the chance to catch him using crap logic to kill a townie, or other things like that.

At the same time, some limits are quite obviously essential, especially after last night's Carrotcake debacle.
Vollkan wrote:If anything, I would consider him ignoring your posts a scum-buddy tell.
I heartedly agree.

Interesting that everybody with the exception of originality put no kill as their top choice. orig, is this going to largely affect your choice, or not?

Finished PBPA.

Tomorrow: full suspicions.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #843 (ISO) » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:08 am

Post by shaft.ed »

shaft.ed wrote:dybeck, what do you think about Oman?

Actually could you just give a rundown of the whole town as most everyone else has been pretty forthcoming about?
Dybeck please address the above. We have a very limited window through which to view your opinions of the game. It would be very helpful to the town's decisions to know where you stand on everyone and not just originality.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #844 (ISO) » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:09 am

Post by shaft.ed »

mod, if more people agree, would it be possible to get a replacement for Elias in the works?

Thanks
dybeck
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
Ooh ooh ooh

Post Post #845 (ISO) » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:28 am

Post by dybeck »

vollkan wrote:
I want to know something dybeck:
Do you think Orig is mafia or SK? In both scenarios, who would you peg as the scum?
As I've said, I think orig is probably mafia. Too many people are defending him for at least one or two of them not to be informed.

SK a little bit less easy. Oman's "lynch anyone but me" attitude throughout the course of this game pins him as a good candidate.

If I had strong opinions about anyone else, rest assured that I'd have told you all about it by now.

But I'd hate for you to forget the core message that is "originality is obvious scum and we need to lynch him before he kills again".
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #846 (ISO) » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:41 am

Post by shaft.ed »

dybeck wrote: If I had strong opinions about anyone else, rest assured that I'd have told you all about it by now.

But I'd hate for you to forget the core message that is "originality is obvious scum and we need to lynch him before he kills again".
I take that to mean you're refusing to give a rundown of the town. To much work to make up stuff on your partners?
dybeck
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
Ooh ooh ooh

Post Post #847 (ISO) » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:56 am

Post by dybeck »

It does sound like a lot of effort to express opinions that I'm not sure about to a player who's already made up his mind, yeah.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #848 (ISO) » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:21 am

Post by shaft.ed »

dybeck wrote:It does sound like a lot of effort to express opinions that I'm not sure about to a player who's already made up his mind, yeah.
I'm far from making up my mind on today's lynch. I'm actively considering 2 top teir candidates (you and Oman) and 3 second teir candidates (Elias, Lucienne and Gemelli). I am currently not considering lynching AlyG (almost impossible to be faking his claim) originality (partially believe his claim and am 85% sure he will die tonight anyway) vollkan (too pro-town for me to lynch today, will consider tommorow based on the outcome of the days activities) and myself. I ask for your input because while I do find you more scummy than the average player, I have enjoyed some of your insights thus far so they may aid my decision. And I'm not the only person that would benefit from said information, sharing ideas and insights is generally helpful to the town unless you are mafia and know them to be false. One of the main reasons I ask, is because it is protown to share information and you have been quite deficient in doing such. Your failure to do so has been glaring to me for quite some time and has been a reason that I continue to view you as scummy and not just a stubborn townie. The fact that you are doing so willfully does disturb me.
dybeck
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
Ooh ooh ooh

Post Post #849 (ISO) » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:28 am

Post by dybeck »

Yeah I know it bugs you. And I should probably be buttering you up. It seems that when I respect you, you go off the idea of lynching me, and when I shine you on, you tirelessly campaign for my lynch.

But giving you information is counter-productive, since you've apparently determined to believe the exact opposite of what I think. So I'm afraid I'm going to have to continue to shine you on and risk the fact that my bandwagon will grow.

When I think you're really listening, and not just seeking words of mine to twist in order to get me lynched, I'll engage with you.

It's mindboggling that you think originality, who we know for a fact strangled a townie last night, is less scummy than me, Oman, Elias, Lucienne and Gemelli.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”