Mini 934 - Troubles at Smiths&Catharts (Game Over!)

Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #825 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:29 pm

Post by Fate »

Copper wrote: This isn't even a point. Pointing out the possibility of a slot being a PR is vastly different then setting up a slot to be a PR. I especially don't understand "so that's he lurked terribly", as though being a PR explains lurking. To the best of my knowledge, neither I nor anyone else have offered the idea that being a PR both causes and is a explanation for lurking. You're making up senseless points and then calling us scummy for saying them.
I thought it was common knowledge. I've seen time and again a strategy for doctors to be ride low under the radar and lurk in hopes to avoid a NK by scum. My points aren't senseless, you just want to make them seem that way to invalidate them. I reckon I've hit something here based on your reactions so far.
Lynches are the responsibility of the players, not the mod. We already had one extension day one, it was incredibly unlikely we would have gotten another. This petulant clinging to a favorite lynch when the target doesn't currently exist and deadline is approaching is terrible play, though I'll concede it's not necessarily scummy.
It is terrible play to push for a lynch that you think will hit scum? Oh, ok. I suppose it is far better to just ride on to a random mislynch near the end of day instead (Pom). Sure, Pom lynch > No lynch, but you're trying to paint it in such a light that speedlynching Pom at the end of the day was
good
play, when it was most definitely scum fueled (both the last minute push and the general inactivity that led to a need for a last minute target).

I can see Sotty as the one setting up the lynch, milling around until near the deadline, and then the rest of town+scum pile on in an act of "pro-town lynchinz."

This is exactly the sort of thing that makes it very hard to see your 'case' as an honest attempt at scumhunting. Let's remember what that was a reply to:
So it went something like this:

Fate: Copper quickly changed his mind from thinking TCC was scum to disinterested. That's scummy.

Copper: The reason for this change was well documented. We did think TCC's actions were scummy until multiple events made it seem far more probably she was a disinterested townie.

Fate: Copper is trying to distance himself from thinking TCC is a disinterested townie by claiming he suspected her at one point. That's scummy.
Terrible depiction of the exchange. Both my first and second responses are along the same thought line. I read your interactions with TCC as distancing/bussing until you changed your read in an effort to stave off TCC's lynch (scum very hardly want to be lynched D1, since lynching a townie is just sooooooo easy.) This is all ONE LINE of thinking. Not, "oh now I'll say this in light of your recent posts." No I'm just responding to your responses, my view of the situation has not changed.
Don't you see the problem here? You are claiming that you read through the game and were struck by how scummy the change of thought was, and then later, you were struck by how scummy it was that we had claimed we thought differently earlier. You are not trying to build a coherent narrative, you're simply quoting our most recent post and then trying to paint it as scummy. At one point, Socrates was your top scum suspect and I was your second. Now, I'm your top and it's unlikely that I would have defended TCC if she also was scum. I find it hard to think you're a townie so willing to tilt at windmills when it comes to Sotty and I and yet perfectly content to throw out things like "hard to read, will care some other time" for the likes of Zorblag and Thor.
Read above the quote. While I may not be the most adept at building cases and laying them out to town, I can say that I think my stances are clear on issues. Socrates is still my top scum read, but you are on that list as well. And who has more votes? You. And I'll be damned if I don't throw a vote on you to save myself when I think you're scum anyway. I think it is clear what is happening here. You and your many intelligent heads have a greater grasp of the English language than myself, so if it comes down to "Copper/Fate" you can just twist my words into your own scummy narrative, which looks better to other players because you can post your thoughts clearer.

That doesn't change the facts though, and I can only hope that town can see the motivations behind my posts, votes, and reads.

And also, I don't believe I ever said Thor was hard to read. I don't have much of a problem with any of Thor's posts.
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #826 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:45 pm

Post by Fate »

Sotty7 wrote: Okay Fate's points on me are bullshit. Yeah I asked questions but I have also provided plenty of analysis too. Yeah I thought Pom was scum, so what?
Fate Post 814 wrote:
Unvote, Vote: Pom 

I really think she is very likely scum because I don't see any attempt at scum hunting outside her push on Ray. Oh and look a post promising content from Pom. I won't hold my breath.
After not having said a word on her before. Why was Pom scum and not other lurkers/inactives that didn't scumhunt? If lack of scumhunting is a scumtell, then why did Sotty think TCC was town? Just because the speed of the wagon?
This is a lie. I spent several posts questioning Pom so I had mentioned her before. If you had actually
read
my ISO you would have seen that. You would have also seen how I differentiated between Pom and TCC.
You're right here.
Your several posts:
1. Pom give me a scum list
2. I don't like how Pom hasn't given me one
3. TCC comes off as newbish to me.

Those are the posts I apparently didn't read carefully enough. My apologies.
Fate Post 814 wrote:
With that said I went back and saw that CSL replaced someone I found very scummy SFG/Sajin.
How did you find SFG/Sajin scummy? SFG didn't post outside of RVS (iirc) and Sajin didn't post ONCE. This seems like a blatant, "oh well I found CSL's slot scummy before..." excuse to vote him later, oh yeah that's me and she's voting me today.
Again if you had read my ISO you would have seen me pushing SFG right at the start of the game and why I found her scummy. Seriously.
Like I said, you're really that confident in a read at the start of the game? I did read it, I didn't think you were going to be serious about using it (but I guess you have to pull all the stops to push my mislynch through).
Fate you also ignored my question to you about charter. If you really read my ISO you would have seen that too.
Now you're wrong. Re-read my post and I addressed Charter. He did apparently read D1, and he got the same read of Copper as I do now. I have no problem with Charter at the moment.

I am not liking how both charter and now Fate have clearly missrepped me. Thor also did this, but I'm feeling more a genuine mistake. I really want a Fate lynch at this point. charter is a likely buddy.
Setting up future mislynches? And now what if I flip town? Have you even considered that and what it will tell you? Or are you in scumvision right now? (I.e. unreasonable)
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Col.Cathart
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #827 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:44 am

Post by Col.Cathart »

Cyberbob takes back his old spot from Zorblag. Thanks, Bob!
[b]Mini 934[/b] is [b]over![/b] Thanks to everyone participating.

[i]What the hell? That Colonel guy was awesome.[/i] - Fate
Col.Cathart
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #828 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:45 am

Post by Col.Cathart »

Votecount 2.3

With 10 players alive, it takes 6 to lynch

If you'll encounter any kind of mistake in the votecount, please point it out.

Fate (3):
Socrates, Copper, Sotty7
Copper (3):
Pie_is_good, charter, Fate
Socrates (1): Cyberbob

not voting (3): Saint Kerrigan, Thor665, MichelSableheart

The current deadline is on
Monday, April 19th 2010 at 6:30 PM GMT +1
Modified Countdown
Last edited by Col.Cathart on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Mini 934[/b] is [b]over![/b] Thanks to everyone participating.

[i]What the hell? That Colonel guy was awesome.[/i] - Fate
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #829 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:03 am

Post by Cyberbob »

Welp, looks like I have a bit of reading to do.
tread softly because you tread on my dreams
daddy's little girl ain't a girl no more
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #830 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:37 am

Post by Socrates »

Blah.

The back and forth from Fate/Charter and Sotty/Copper do nothing for me. That whole thing is on full power rhetoric mode and I don't see anything useful coming out of that.

I dislike Mitchel's obsession with activity, especially in this game. Unless he thinks there are 9 scum in this game, he isn't going to be going anywhere productive with it.

I would be content with a Kthxbye vote. His player slot was on every wagon of note yesterday including a quick L-1 vote without noting that he was doing so, and his copper vote today is badbadbad. Who has this player slot now? Pie?

(I would ask where saint went but I would feel vaguely hypocritical doing so.)
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #831 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:08 am

Post by Thor665 »

@ Socrates

Pie=Kthxbye and as I've noted is certainly a slot of interest for me.

Do you have no opinion whatsoever on the Fate/Charter Sotty/Copper exchanges other then saying it doesn't seem useful? Your name and slot (via TCC) is pretty well enmeshed in that discussion and I'm surprised you don't have an opinion about it especially considering you're currently voting Fate.
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #832 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:30 am

Post by Sotty7 »

Okay enough of this. I'm a gunsmith and I looked at Copper last night. He doesn't have a gun.

It was a toss up between Copper and Troll with who I wanted to investigate because of how both of them reacted to the Pom lynch, talking about her being likely to flip town and yet still joining the wagon. Pinged my gut

I didn't look at Ray because I felt he would have been easier to lynch, however with Fate's entrance into the game and admonishment of my Ray vote I feel his slot is unlikely to be scum if Fate flips which I really think he is going to at this point

I'm getting really annoyed with replacements coming and and doing nothing only getting replaced themselves. If this keeps going on this game may as well be player abandoned because it is getting impossible to get any kind of read when multiple slots are filled by two or three players.

So this is a frustrated claim that I'm hoping will actually give people SOMETHING to talk about instead of sitting on the sidelines with their hands in their pockets shrugging their shoulders and being generally unhelpful.
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #833 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:38 am

Post by Socrates »

Nope.

I have already laid out why I think Fate is scum, and I think Sotty and Copper are town. Charter's alignment depends on how much faith I put in the Chainsaw scumtell, but the jury is still out on that.

Their stances are largely the same as they were when the arguments first started and they have done nothing but become more entrenched in said stances, which I believe is a natural result of prolonged debate. Beyond that, this is all rhetoric, which depends upon a players vocabulary and debate skill much more than their alignment. Whichever one comes out of the argument "looking better" is a largely immaterial question. It's why I don't really bother with prolonged arguments anymore.

Anyway, how would you feel about a pie wagon, Thor?

Preview Edit: Huh. Good to know.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #834 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:57 am

Post by MichelSableheart »

Today has been a very busy day, and tomorrow looks busy too. I'll probably only be able to post something relevant wednesday. Apologies for that.

I am aware that I have not produced much relevant content. I beg you to be patient a while longer.
There is no 'a' in Michel.
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

Post Post #835 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 am

Post by Pie_is_good »

Didn't realize I was voting Copper.
Unvote: Copper

Sotty: Good move with the claim. All Copper voters should get movin'. This also makes me think Sotty's town - it would be a hell of a gambit to make something like that up this early on in the game.

Anyways - and I promise I'll get off of abstract theory in a sec - a claimed Gunsmith is a tricky role to handle. It's probably best to claim results each night; the risk of revealing a cop or vig is outweighed by the benefit of nailing a scum or confirming a townie. This in turn allows us to get tricky - Sotty can say "X, Y, and Z, do you have a gun?" having only investigated one of them, and Scum have to decide whether or not to bluff while townies tell the truth.

Back to the game.

Thor is likely town. Fate I'm having trouble getting a read on, but I don't buy the case that's been thusfar presented (it seems fueled more by Fate getting miffed easily than by Fate acting scummy). A Socrates lynch wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I acknowledge people have talked about wagoning my player slot, but there's not a goddamn thing I can do about it. I wouldn't presume to know the motivation behind my predecessor's actions any more than you would.

And to reiterate: reread progress is going to be very slow until the weekend. I'll keep up normal levels of activity in the present timeline but may not catch up much on the past.
I am a stand-up dude of genuine flyness.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #836 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:05 am

Post by Fate »

Vote: Socrates

So barring gambits, there go two of my suspects. I can see Socrates scum buddying up to Sotty and Copper now though, feeding off the fact that they think he's obvtown (and using that fact in their arguments), NOT GONNA SLIP BY ME SOC.

We're still missing a large chunk of information (3/4 replacements that have yet to post meaningful posts?), so I'm sure there's scum in that lot.

I could work with a Pie vote. MD chat in a game thread never sits well with me.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #837 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Socrates wrote:Anyway, how would you feel about a pie wagon, Thor?
Moderately okay?

I feel more scummish towards Fate and Ray/Kerrigan. Probably you and Pie are about equal in my book and occupy the 3rd and 4th slots give or take. I felt TCC was pretty scummy but Copper did sell me pretty well with that 'speed of the wagon' concept and it's had me unsure of my read on the slot since then. Pie is pretty much, as I've said, doing a lot of theory discussion in a slot that I thought was really newbie before. I never really bought into the Kthx as scum concept and a lot of my grinding on Hathaway on Day 1 was over how bad I thought that case was. I do think Kthx's support of the Copper wagon was pretty weak, but that's about my worst read on him and that paints Fate just as badly in my book since I think he was selling that wagon on weak merits.
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

Post Post #838 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Post by Pie_is_good »

You guys seem pretty shocked that I spent some time trying to convince everyone to massclaim.
I am a stand-up dude of genuine flyness.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #839 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Pie_is_good wrote:You guys seem pretty shocked that I spent some time trying to convince everyone to massclaim.
If you're referring to me - I am not shocked as this appears to be part of what you're known for. However I am not sold on your theory discussion as a town tell either and wish to keep noting that all you've done thus far really is just that theory discussion and will continue to do so till other conversation is made.

I'm not impressed by Fate's soft sell of it as scummy (not sitting well), if it makes you feel any better. :wink:
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #840 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Haven't had time to do any catching up, except on Charter, and my conclusion on the analysis of Charter's slot is that Inquisitor JL didn't do anything to set off my scumdar, and Charter has done some things I agree with, some things I disagree with, and nothing that overall makes me feel particularly inclined to lynch him.

Sotty claiming as and when she did makes me feel a little easier about her slot. As I believe someone before me has already stated, making a claim like that would be foolhardy for scum to do at this stage.

I totally do not like Fate's most recent post.
Fate wrote:

Vote: Socrates

So barring gambits, there go two of my suspects. I can see Socrates scum buddying up to Sotty and Copper now though, feeding off the fact that they think he's obvtown (and using that fact in their arguments), NOT GONNA SLIP BY ME SOC.
This is hardly valid reasoning for voting anyone, whether it be by itself or supporting something else.
Fate wrote:We're still missing a large chunk of information (3/4 replacements that have yet to post meaningful posts?), so I'm sure there's scum in that lot.
That's real informative, uselessly speculative, and hardly compelling new information. It looks like fluff disguised as "good posting" to me.
Fate wrote:I could work with a Pie vote. MD chat in a game thread never sits well with me.
That's gross misrepresentation of Pie's argument for massclaiming. He was trying to do it with the idea that it would help the town. Although most everyone disagreed with him, that doesn't mean he wasn't trying. Failpoints for Fate.

I'll continue to withhold voting until I have a firmer stance on the game.

As for Sotty's question: I have read through the game as a whole, but have not gone through anyone in ISO. I still don't feel like I have a good handle on the game.
ALMOST ALWAYS BUSY 9-6 CST WEEKDAYS
Copper
Copper
Goon
Copper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #841 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Post by Copper »

Sotty is telling the truth insomuch as our role does not have a gun.

I've also felt fairly comfortable with Sotty for most of the game, so I feel like it's genuine in that sense.

I can say, in all honesty, that I completely sympathize with Sotty's frustrations about the replacements in this game as well. If not for my appreciation of our Mod, in both the way he's diligently handled this game and in the seriousness he's taken games where we've played together, I can't say that I would've been as willing as I have been to give this game as much effort as I have.

That all being said, where I now differ from Sotty, is in the fact that I think we've reached a point where there just isn't as much passion behind this wagon as their once was. Not only is Fate's post 836 acceptable, I'd go so far as to say it sounds like a townie who is trying to make sense of a wrecking ball of information slamming straight into his read of the game so far. While I won't go so far as to say Fate is a bad lynch, I think at this point we can do better.

Unvote

Vote: SaintKerrigan

SK wrote:Haven't had time to do any catching up, except on Charter, and my conclusion on the analysis of Charter's slot is that Inquisitor JL didn't do anything to set off my scumdar, and Charter has done some things I agree with, some things I disagree with, and nothing that overall makes me feel particularly inclined to lynch him.

[...]

I'll continue to withhold voting until I have a firmer stance on the game.

[...]

I still don't feel like I have a good handle on the game.
Noncommittal.

There's no substance to this, aside from picking on Fate a little. As a matter of fact, I'd go so far as to say almost every one of your posts has had little in the way of substance. You say Fate and Socrates worry you, but nothing that's "enough to lynch over". You said that Sotty gave you a bad vibe earlier, but this stance has taken a 180 (although, granted, I would say that's reasonable).

I can't blame you for not jumping into this game with both feet (these replacements have given scum an excuse, I think, to hide behind the unfortunate circumstances surrounding this game), but on the same token, I can't completely excuse you of not having done so by this point. If you were at least voting someone, maybe, but I've seen too many excuses come from you, frankly, and too much vaugeness. I was never thrilled with the player you replaced either, and thought that he never adequately answered for himself yesterday or today. You and Michel both have curiously not been willing use the vote, but at least Michel, I think, has given us some direction as to his mindset. I would argue that you, SK, have not. The little offense you have shown has been marginalized before you even let it out into the public sphere.
This account is a hydra. It is listed as male for ease of pronoun use; this has no bearing on the genders of the hydra's heads.
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #842 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 pm

Post by Cyberbob »

Just chiming in to say that I am in fact working my way through, it's slow going on account of my internet being shaped to dialup speeds (Australian internet :() until midnight tonight but I've made it up to the end of Day 1.

Some points:

- The discussion about Ythan's posting habits near the start is pretty dumb.
- Scrambles' vote for Ythan based on the above argument is pretty terrible. If I was around I probably would have voted him for this.
- Thor backs up his Scrambles vote well, I particularly like that he knows the difference between an ad hom and a personal attack (this is unrelated to mafia, I just hate it when people confuse the two).
- I sure do wish people would stop talking about age.
- First impression of CheshireCat: useless.
- Copper knows what's up in Post 142. I still don't think his vote for Ythan is warranted though.
- Agree with Inquisitor's criticism of Scrambles. Also glad to see that Copper's Ythan vote was not actually a "serious" one.
- Disagree entirely with Ythan's attack on Inquisitor.
- RayFrost is being incredibly obtuse in Post 187.
- Scrambles is also being rather (read: very) useless.
- Thor and Copper are definitely the two players contributing the most, kind of getting vibes of a connection there though?
- CheshireCat makes a big comeback from her rather long hiatus!!!.... and offers absolutely nothing beyond a bit of metachat.
- Agreeing with most of the criticism directed at Ray, it's always scummy not to contribute no matter what your meta is (and if your new town meta is to not contribute then you should find something else).
- Nobody Special is another hit-and-runner.
- I agree with Thor about Ythan to an extent but the Thor/Copper connection is so obvious it hurts at this point. I understand that sometimes the objectively good thing to do is agree with someone but there is agreement... and then there's agreement.
- Kind of agree with Sotty re: Cheshire's smileys, I don't think she's intentionally trying to pull any manipulation with them but they are very annoying.
- Scrambles on Page 11 is pretty lol. I'd probably be voting him at this point, with suspicion also pointed at Cheshire and Ray. Also Nothing Special, but I think the previous three I named are better lynch candidates at this point.
- Nothing Special's Post 316 is hilariously over the top.
- And there he goes in 328.
- I do like my predecessor's big comeback post (354), he and I seem to mostly be aligned in terms of suspects. I also like the minor Thor callout, it's
never
good for anyone to go totally unchallenged in a game of mafia.
- RayFrost claimed Jester? Going to guess that this was a joke.
- I'm actually not feeling all the Ythan hate that's been thrown around; I think he's been pretty townish.
- Inquisitor keeps promising content posts but continuously fails to deliver.
- I did say Ythan was coming off townish before but the discussion on Page 18 is seriously awful. It spills over into 19 a bit but things pick up fairly quickly with the new page. I like Post 469 a lot, that sort of thing is depressingly common I've found.
- Page 20 is pretty crazy, Ythan's posting frenzy is getting a bit much and Ray comes up with a fairly spirited defence against Pomegranate's vote. I sort of buy his side but I really fucking hate meta talk (
especially
when it's someone talking about their own meta).
- Welp at Post 517. Locke's first post is pretty good though.
- Copper is unnerved by the "speed" with which the Cheshire wagon grew... at the top of Page 22.
- Ew, RayFrost's Post 357. "Trust me, I have the town's best interests at heart."
- Copper and Thor both criticising the TCC wagon now... hm. Something to remember for later.
- Kthxbye starts catching votes for the manner in which he put Cheshire at L-1... not sure if I agree. The comment about flipping is iffy but I don't think it's out of character for most newbies.
- More defence of Cheshire from Copper in Post 572.
- Thor changing his mind about Cheshire in 575?
- And now we have a bit of sparring between Copper and Thor near the top of Page 24. Not sure what to make of this, I can't quite tell whether it's authentic or not.

-----------------------------------------------------

Stopped reading at Post 590 (my eyes are starting to glaze over from all the reading I've done and I don't want to miss anything); I will finish my perusal either later tonight or tomorrow. I will leave my vote where it is for the time being.
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #843 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:03 pm

Post by Cyberbob »

Whoops:
Ew, RayFrost's Post 357.
This should be 537.
tread softly because you tread on my dreams
daddy's little girl ain't a girl no more
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #844 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Cyberbob wrote: - Thor changing his mind about Cheshire in 575?
Eh? At the very least if I "changed my mind" about her I probably did so in Post 477 when I voted for her. Though frankly I think I'd been expressing doubt about the slot throughout Day 1.

Other then that bit of minutiae I am still where I was at my last update except I'm even more content with my read on the Copper/Fate question. My scumlist(blob) remains the same.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #845 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:50 pm

Post by charter »

Sorry guys, just not having any time for mafia these days, I'm going to read up and post tomorrow, I hope.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #846 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:55 pm

Thor wrote:@Michel - you (rightly) dinged Ray on his relative participation. But then claimed Saint Starcraft Lady as having no problems yet off of something like two semi-relevant posts posted over the course of not even a week. Yeah...within that timeframe it's a solid number of posts but it seems like the sample size is too small to be making any claims on her participation quality at this point - thoughts?
In the case of SK, he posted a reasonable amount of content for the amount of time he has been in the game. I admit that the sample size is small, which makes the conclusion weaker. But based on the information available to me, I believe SK isn't active lurking.
Socrates wrote:I dislike Mitchel's obsession with activity, especially in this game. Unless he thinks there are 9 scum in this game, he isn't going to be going anywhere productive with it.
Huh? If you read my post on activity, you'll notice that I concluded that only 3 playerslots could have been active lurking in an attempt to avoid suspicion. Your statement feels like a blatant disregard of my actual post.

I thought we weren't doing a massclaim? And that replacements were still catching up? I'm very annoyed with seeing Sotty claim, though I do find it believable.

With Sotty having claimed, (and Ktx having claimed before) massclaim suddenly became much better IMO. Keeping powerroles hidden isn't really a concern with an info role out in the open. Unless there are serious objections, I'm going to claim next.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #847 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:55 am

Post by Thor665 »

MichelSableheart wrote:With Sotty having claimed, (and Ktx having claimed before) massclaim suddenly became much better IMO. Keeping powerroles hidden isn't really a concern with an info role out in the open. Unless there are serious objections, I'm going to claim next.
Five bucks says Pie is with you.

If we're going to massclaim then let's do it popcorn style with Sotty counting as the player who went first, otherwise it seems too haphazard to just have people randomly trickle in and bleat out their role.

What do you see as the worse case scenario that scum will do if we don't claim?
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #848 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:05 am

As I promised, bandwagon analysis is next. The bandwagons as I see them were:
  • Early in the day, Ythan was pressured on his meta of posting much.
  • There was a small wagon against Scrambles around post #100.
  • There was a significant wagon against RayFrost.
  • A bandwagon against NS/Kthx developed, which got to 3 votes.
  • Around the original deadline, there was a bandwagon against TCC.
  • Again a bandwagon against Kthx.
  • Pomegranate became the deadline lynch.
  • Day 2 saw a bandwagon against Fate
  • and a bandwagon against Copper.
I will only mention very important players on the bandwagon, and things that feel off.

The early bandwagon against Ythan

The early pressure on Ythan seems to have been used to get the game going. The main topic of discussion was how often Ythan posts. There are several players involved.

Copper starts the discussion, by arguing that Ythan's behaviour is anti-town, because it prevents less active players from keeping up. Considering Ythan's meta, this is arguing against deaf ears, but it does feel honest.

TCC takes a very interesting position. He mentions that Ythan's behaviour will mainly cause other players to get annoyed and focus on Ythan instead of finding scum. Before saying that, he is stimulating that reaction with comments such as "you talk a lot irl, don't you?" and "lol, this is going to be a long game". This is by far the most scummy reaction on the wagon.

Nobody Special is simply complaining about Ythan's behaviour, and waits for the discussion to reach another, more useful subject. He takes a very reactionary stance here. I'm not really liking it.

SFG argues against the Ythan wagon, claiming that there's likely scum pushing for the easy mislynch. None of the attacks feel like pushing a mislynch to me, but considering the overall feel of the discussion, I like the sentiment.

Then Scrambles actually voted Ythan "for being annoying", which caused the second bandwagon of the game.

Wagon against Scrambles

This wagon started of when Scrambles voted Ythan for reasons unrelated to Ythan being scum. Scrambles being questioned on that vote is a logical reaction there.

The only thing that feels unnatural in the following bandwagon is Ray. He argues that Scrambles vote isn't very scummy, then later summarizes Scrambles as "pushing for an Ythan lynch for reasons unrelated to Ythan being scum" (my wording). He never explains why town is likely to do this. Thor questions him on this, but he doesn't answer, mainly due to the "funny posts" going on at the time.

Wagon against RayFrost

There seem to be two main reasons behind the wagon against RayFrost. The first is that he doesn't match his town meta / matches his scum meta. The second reason is that when the wagon happened, he wasn't contributing (which I agree with, as I mentioned in my activity analysis). One of the comments that really struck me in this regard is post #206 by Ray. There, he basically states "true, I'm not contributing, but at least I'm posting". Posting without contributing is the definition of active lurking.

Ythan starts commenting on Ray as early as post #148, mentioning that Ray seems out of character. He repeats this in #199, claiming that Ray is playing different from his usual town meta. These comments eventually lead to a vote of Ray in #227 because Ythan doesn't really have anything else. As soon as something more suspicious comes along (NS vote for Ray), the vote is withdrawn again. He is following the crowd a bit, but his vote matches his earlier comments.

Copper is the one who really starts this wagon. He votes Ray for not commenting in post #178, and backs that up with an actual attack in post #190. Solid reasoning, good suspicions.

Pomegranate also joins in early (#198), claiming to match Ray's behaviour to his scum meta she experienced in earlier games, plus the fact that he simply doesn't contribute. Combined with Ythan's statement that Ray isn't playing to his town meta, this is an excellent reason to be suspicious. This vote is further backed up in post #226.

TCC shows verbal support for the Ray wagon. His reasoning doesn't really hold against questioning by Thor, though. Post #216 strikes me as mainly unhelpful, post #277 shows that TCC didn't actually believe Ray to be scum, but mainly considers Ray to be antitown. Weak reasoning to support a popular wagon is mild reason to be suspicious of TCC.

NS votes Ray for non contribution after having been absent himself for quite a while. This vote feels like he's joining the easy bandwagon, and is therefore very suspicious.

Sotty joins the Ray bandwagon very late (she votes in #338), when discussion has been focussing on others for quite a while. Her reasoning is that Ray is still not providing content. This vote doesn't strike me as very helpful.

Bandwagon against NS/Kthx

The bandwagon against Nobody Special begins when NS votes Ray for lack of participation in post #234, when he was extremely guilty of that himself. Several players mention this. Ythan attacks him over lurking, stating how in a different game they're playing together, NS is posting. NS flips out completely over this, deciding to replace out. Nothing and noone on this bandwagon feels of to me.

Bandwagon against TCC

As I stated in my activity analysis, TCC was providing horribly little relevant content. Especially his announcements of V/LA for short periods of time when not posting content in between them were horribly scummy.

Troll is the first to mention this, voting TCC as early as post #354. Note that this is the second vote on TCC, next to Inquisitor's random vote on post #9.

Thor starts pressuring a TCC wagon around post #468. His reasoning is good, TCC was scummy, but it also feels a bit like a last effort deadline wagon. It would have been far better if the attack had come about 100 posts earlier, when TCC first stated V/LA after not having contributed in a long time.

CSL's vote for TCC in post #523 is horrible. It completely lacks any reasoning whatsoever, which is unacceptable for an L-2 vote after 20 pages of discussion. Nevertheless, I don't really find the vote scummy, because I don't see why scum would be more likely then town to vote that way. Allthough the vote does bring the lynch one vote closer, it does not make the lynch more likely. Such poor reasoning will draw attention to the player using it (and therefore away from the player that scum would want to have mislynched), and will make players considering to vote Ktx rethink if they really want to be on a bandwagon with such poor support. I'm not saying it is good play, but I'm considering this vote a neutral tell.

At this point in time, Copper is starting to defend TCC because of the speed of the bandwagon. I must say I can't really agree with that analysis. The votes from Inquisitor and Troll had been there for a while. The vote of Thor was a direct result of TCC announcing V/LA without posting content again. Locke only just replaced in, and voted a full two days after Thor's vote. If the deadline hadn't been moved, it would have been only a couple of hours before the actual deadline. The only vote that could actually be considered speedy was that of CSL, and I have already commented on that.

The vote on the TCC wagon that actually feels scummy to me is that of Kthx. That vote really feels like voting for the popular bandwagon because it is the popular bandwagon rather then because he actually believes TCC is scum. Furthermore, it is an L-1 vote without a warning that it is one. This post very much feels like Kthx is scum trying to get a mislynch, which makes it more likely that TCC is town.

Second Bandwagon against Kthx

The second bandwagon against Kthx also doesn't have much that stands out. It's Henry, Ray and Locke voting, with Copper and Thor also having questioned Kthx vote.

Considering how scummy the vote of Kthx actually was, I am really surprised to see that this wagon didn't develop into more of a bandwagon, perhaps even a lynch. I find it especially remarkable that Sotty #549 doesn't comment on the Kthx vote. Also standing out is Copper sticking to a Ray vote when it has been rather difficult to find consensus, especially considering their remark that there is at least one, and possibly two scum in CSL, Locke, Kthx. Later on, they vote CSL over Kthx "because they want to see what develops from the discussion between Thor and Henri". That extensive debate Thor and Henri had over Henri's suspicions may have helped to get attention away from Kthx too.

Bandwagon on Pomegranate, develops into lynch

The bandwagon against Pome came almost out of nothing. There had been some comments on her by Ray, Locke and Sotty, but there hadn't really been much discussion on her. In fact, even after having read page 24, I still had trouble seeing why on earth Pome had been lynched.

There were two main accusations: Lack of content, and the fact that she misrepresented Ray's meta. Both accusations were rediculous. Pome had been far less guilty of active lurking then NS, TCC or even RayFrost. The claim that she didn't come with a scumlist is also simply incorrect, because her #474 clearly stated who she suspected, and why. The accusation that she misrepresented Ray's meta holds a bit more water, but I still believe in what I stated in post #803.

The bandwagon was started by two players. Locke started pressuring Pome on her metaread in #522, and got more serious about his suspicions in #602. He states that he wants to see her lynched in #615, and actually votes as third on the wagon in #630.

Sotty first brings up the lack of a scumlist in #525, dismissing the active lurkerhunting as useless. She continues this line of reasoning in #549, calling Pome commenting on Ray's lack of content hypocritical. She is the first to vote Pom in #612. I disagree with her reasoning, but there seems to be a logical development of suspicion here.

Thor's vote for Pomegranate in #618 feels very uncharacteristic of him. He lists the other possibilities, but completely ignores the Kthx wagon even though it was the second most popular at the time. He also doesn't comment at first on why Pomegranate is actually scum. He later claims to agree with the "active lurking" accusation, but makes no attempt whatsoever to actually verify this. In particular, I don't like how he calls a vote for active lurking on Ray as bad as the completely unexplained CSL vote. His is a very suspicious vote.

Copper is clearly opposed to the Pom wagon in #620. My main complaint about them is that they pushed for the wrong alternative. By instead joining the Kthx wagon, they could have caused a lynch they actually agreed to regain momentum again. Now, they were forced to join a wagon they did not agree with simply to guarantee a lynch.

Kthx vote is very poorly supported. It is again a simple agreeing with the claim that Pome was active lurking, without any evidence to back it up. The fact that deadline was approaching is an excuse here though.

Ray unvotes without any attempt to guarantee a lynch one way or another.

The fact that this lynch has Copper, Zorblag and Charter on it, when all of them have significantly questioned whether Pome was scummy or not, is very telling IMO. I'm really disappointed in this result. I feel that a Kthx lynch had been a far better possibility, and even a TCC lynch would have been more informative.

The day 2 wagons

Both bandwagons today feel rather poor. During day 1, neither Copper nor Fate's predecessors did anything that was indicative of them being scum IMO.

Looking at the actual votes, I see little reasoning why they are made on scum:

Kthx vote on Copper for nightkill speculation is ridiculous. Scum will have had a reason for their kill. If we can figure out what that reason was, we can gain a distinct advantage.

Socrates #708 & #709 are very much about why Socrates is town, and very little about why Fate is actually scum.

Copper's vote for Fate is mainly the result of their suspicion of CSL, over something which I believe wasn't at all indicative of being scum (see analysis of TCC wagon).

Sotty's vote for Fate is better, but still doesn't take into account the information gained from day 1 in any way.

Charters vote for Copper is better reasoned, but also seems to hinge far more on perceived scummyness then actual analysis of actions.

Fate suspicions of Copper seem to be far too dependant on Socrates being scum. Coppers defense of TCC was entirely reasonable IMO.

I am still planning to look at the nightkill, plus what I can find in players ISO. I feel I have gathered enough info now to make an informed vote, though.

Nobody Special combined active lurking with easy bandwagoning. He was succeeded by KthxBye, who continued the easy bandwagoning by making the most suspicious vote of day 1 and being on the Pom wagon on rather weak reasons.

Vote: Pie_is_good

I also have reasons to be suspicious of Socrates because of the behaviour of TCC, of Thor for his vital role in the Pom lynch and of SaintKerrigan because of Ray's behaviour towards the deadline.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #849 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:18 am

Thor wrote:What do you see as the worse case scenario that scum will do if we don't claim?
The worst case scenario would be that they manage to kill Sotty, and then are able to get out of a lynch with a fakeclaim they couldn't have made if they had to worry about investigation by a gunsmith.

The main reason I want to see a massclaim though is that I simply don't want to give them a night to discuss what fakeclaims they're going to use now that they know there is a gunsmith about. They are far more likely to make mistakes if they have to claim right now.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”