Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:20 am

Post by Maduisha »

In post 46, nepenthe wrote:
In post 28, DkKoba wrote:You're very self conscious and look as though u feel as though u need to towntell in a way that isn't offensive, even apologizing a lot.
i think one apology is not "apologizing a lot" but i do find that people who are playing to an agenda (in this case, scum because i'm pretty sure this isn't a game with 3p - if it is, i'll cry) need to start early on trying to create a narrative surrounding other players so that later, when they attempt to build on that push, it looks more substantial than it actually is. try again, and this time, i want you to really analyze what i said and make a good case for it.

also, am i being pocketed by ben? is this what it feels like? am i the pet townie?
I am liking this post because you are acknowledging the possibility of pocketing existing in this scenario, although I feel like Ben is just taking a posture about Koba's gut feel about you. But yeah, a wary mindset smells townier to me.
In post 49, nepenthe wrote:call it cynical but i think tone is a falsehood in a text based game early on, especially when you have no previous experience with a player to be able to judge whether or not they're communicating in a way that's out of character for them or, as you might say, "tonally" errant. i like to wait until the tenth page or so to start pretending i can read people for tone.
I understand where you come from, I was like that too at first. However with experience I came to realise that there are some ways of speech that can indicate you what is the other person's stance. For example, when you make a half-hearted statement like "I believe Sirius is scummy" and the player reacts in an offended way, or tries to defend themselves by deflecting, it can give you a good idea of if they have more of a survivalist way of behaving in that particular game.
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:25 am

Post by Maduisha »

Hmm...

Lenora, this is your first game here, although you have experience outside the site, right? It is not mandatory to play newbie games, but I'm curious to know why you chose a normal as your first game. Do you think your off-site skills can translate well into forum mafia?

I am asking because I can't like to myself, and when I see "lost new player" behavior, I tend to townread by gut. But up until now, I had only played newbie games, so it was more usual to find newbies, in general.
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:26 am

Post by Maduisha »

And in my last game, I townread a scum player because they were playing the newbie card quite a bit, sooo...

I'll try to contain how jumpy I usually am regarding this for now.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:27 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 2, Sirius9121 wrote:
Setup information

All private topics have daytalk enabled.

Spoiler: Sample Role PM
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.
btw we DO get info here^^^ someone mentioend we get no setup info but the existence of daytalk and the wording of said post is a slight indicator of stuff :P
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:28 am

Post by Maduisha »

In post 77, Maduisha wrote:I am asking because I can't like to myself,
*Lie

Sigh.
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:30 am

Post by Maduisha »

Hmm, perhaps vague wording from the mod is to not be explicit about the contents of the setup. No unfair advantages and such.

Like, all topics = 1 topic is possible.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:30 am

Post by DkKoba »

am i softing mason? who knows!
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
lenora
lenora
Townie
lenora
Townie
Townie

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:31 am

Post by lenora »

dk i'm going through the game you linked (or the opening of it anyway) and i don't see that same aggression as here - you were town there right? that makes it hard for me to write it off as stylistic, but i'll give you a chance and see how my read on you evolves

maduisha: i've played some mafia games outside of the site (mainly with friends on discord) but not a ton of experience and definitely not in this type of setting. i tried to sign up for a newbie game too - i was just excited to play and wasn't sure how soon it'd fill so i picked two games
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:35 am

Post by Maduisha »

Sssh, no softing. Only I can softclaim my role D1 every game.

(I swear every time I do that, it's not on purpose, lol. People call me out and I'm like "shit, I implied it, didn't I?")

PEdit: I see, so it was impatience... well, let's see if we can sort you more easily once the thread starts moving a bit and you can give us your opinion about stuff. I will try to remain neutral about being new to the site and such.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:37 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 83, lenora wrote:dk i'm going through the game you linked (or the opening of it anyway) and i don't see that same aggression as here - you were town there right? that makes it hard for me to write it off as stylistic, but i'll give you a chance and see how my read on you evolves

maduisha: i've played some mafia games outside of the site (mainly with friends on discord) but not a ton of experience and definitely not in this type of setting. i tried to sign up for a newbie game too - i was just excited to play and wasn't sure how soon it'd fill so i picked two games
but the aggression does exist :3 i got impatient cuz im alive in basically like 6 games so
retired
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 am

Post by Maduisha »

Aah, I'm kinda excited to see Ben's detective skills in action too. He couldn't do much in the last game we coincided, and everyone there hyped him as town beast, haha.

I can't wait, I have a feeling that this game is gonna be fun.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 am

Post by DkKoba »

btw joqiza missed u @maddy
retired
lenora
lenora
Townie
lenora
Townie
Townie

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:39 am

Post by lenora »

In post 84, Maduisha wrote:Sssh, no softing. Only I can softclaim my role D1 every game.

(I swear every time I do that, it's not on purpose, lol. People call me out and I'm like "shit, I implied it, didn't I?")

PEdit: I see, so it was impatience... well, let's see if we can sort you more easily once the thread starts moving a bit and you can give us your opinion about stuff. I will try to remain neutral about being new to the site and such.
yeah, when i saw this started i wasn't sure if it was the newbie game or regular one, but i realized right after posting it wasn't the newbie game so i was mentally chastising myself for sounding clueless. i've read through the rules now though

i like your consideration of me - it seems like a towny mindset to at first consider writing it off then remember that method didn't work for you previously
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:39 am

Post by DkKoba »

u got any offsite games to link lenora? i wanna see what ur general expectations are like when ur town mainly
retired
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:43 am

Post by Maduisha »

In post 87, DkKoba wrote:btw joqiza missed u @maddy
I loved playing with captain Joqiza!! An experience to be sure. He was always so uplifting me when I was hating my own plays in the scum pt constantly, lol.
In post 88, lenora wrote:
In post 84, Maduisha wrote:Sssh, no softing. Only I can softclaim my role D1 every game.

yeah, when i saw this started i wasn't sure if it was the newbie game or regular one, but i realized right after posting it wasn't the newbie game so i was mentally chastising myself for sounding clueless. i've read through the rules now though

i like your consideration of me - it seems like a towny mindset to at first consider writing it off then remember that method didn't work for you previously
I just want to keep it in mind but not go overboard with it as indicative of anything, that's all. I still have my eyes on you (and everyone else) for that matter.
lenora
lenora
Townie
lenora
Townie
Townie

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:45 am

Post by lenora »

In post 89, DkKoba wrote:u got any offsite games to link lenora? i wanna see what ur general expectations are like when ur town mainly
i can dig through to see if i can find the old boards but it's been years since i've played forum-style mafia so i doubt i'll find them unfortunately. also i'm a much different person (and i'd expect player) than i was years ago so they probably wouldn't be good comparisons
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:45 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 91, lenora wrote:
In post 89, DkKoba wrote:u got any offsite games to link lenora? i wanna see what ur general expectations are like when ur town mainly
i can dig through to see if i can find the old boards but it's been years since i've played forum-style mafia so i doubt i'll find them unfortunately. also i'm a much different person (and i'd expect player) than i was years ago so they probably wouldn't be good comparisons
do u remember the name of the boards?
retired
lenora
lenora
Townie
lenora
Townie
Townie

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:54 am

Post by lenora »

In post 92, DkKoba wrote:
In post 91, lenora wrote:
do u remember the name of the boards?
i think mafia universe? i played a game in 2017 but i have no idea what i registered as so i'm having trouble finding it. the other ones were on a jcink that is definitely closed

hopefully if i enjoy this game, i can get into playing again so i have future comparisons
ben dover123
ben dover123
Mafia Scum
ben dover123
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:01 am

Post by ben dover123 »

In post 57, lenora wrote:
In post 17, DkKoba wrote:i think ur vibes are town so far chumbo :3
what is "town vibes" to you? i'm not sure how you came to this conclusion so quickly

(also i just read over the rules and saw only 1 bah post is allowed so i'm sorry for my 2 opening posts without content, i just tried to send something that didn't go through so i wasn't sure if it was working)
In post 70, lenora wrote:i wouldn't consider the aggression itself an alignment tell. more-so it felt like people made posts that seemed null or fine to me so i wasn't sure why you called them scummy

do we know how many mafia are in this game or is everything closed?
lol this slot. Probably going to derpclear lenora here + tone.
imagine having the userid "ben dover123"
what a userid i respect it a lot
~Alisae
ben dover123
ben dover123
Mafia Scum
ben dover123
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:04 am

Post by ben dover123 »

UNVOTE: Dkkoba
getting town vibes from how far koba is pushing their read on nepenthe.
~Alisae
lenora
lenora
Townie
lenora
Townie
Townie

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:39 am

Post by lenora »

In post 95, ben dover123 wrote:UNVOTE: Dkkoba
could you explain this a bit more? i don't really see it. i keep re-reading nepenthe's opening posts to find the self-consciousness, but to me it just looks like nepenthe is considering different peoples strategies vs. how he himself approaches the game and that he's aware of his own weaknesses. dk then jumped to a read/assumption really fast. i'm know my reads will probably be rusty in this game as it's been quite a bit, so it's helpful to me when people can walk through their reasoning in case i'm missing something
ben dover123
ben dover123
Mafia Scum
ben dover123
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:45 am

Post by ben dover123 »

In post 96, lenora wrote:
could you explain this a bit more? i don't really see it. i keep re-reading nepenthe's opening posts to find the self-consciousness, but to me it just looks like nepenthe is considering different peoples strategies vs. how he himself approaches the game and that he's aware of his own weaknesses. dk then jumped to a read/assumption really fast. i'm know my reads will probably be rusty in this game as it's been quite a bit, so it's helpful to me when people can walk through their reasoning in case i'm missing something
Yeah I'm not completely sure on Koba's attack on nepenthe either but I feel like Koba's motivation to be this aggressive with their read on nepenthe is towny. Just trying to get every last reaction and AI material from nepenthe, that's what I see.
~Alisae
lenora
lenora
Townie
lenora
Townie
Townie

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:01 pm

Post by lenora »

In post 97, ben dover123 wrote:
In post 96, lenora wrote:
Yeah I'm not completely sure on Koba's attack on nepenthe either but I feel like Koba's motivation to be this aggressive with their read on nepenthe is towny. Just trying to get every last reaction and AI material from nepenthe, that's what I see.
i saw it as a bit OTT/performative - i'd maybe feel differently if they re-evaluated from it or if I saw the test on nepenthe as useful, but i'm getting the sense that koba is struggling to explain their reads/reasons

VOTE: dkkoba
ben dover123
ben dover123
Mafia Scum
ben dover123
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:09 pm

Post by ben dover123 »

In post 98, lenora wrote: i saw it as a bit OTT/performative - i'd maybe feel differently if they re-evaluated from it or if I saw the test on nepenthe as useful, but i'm getting the sense that koba is struggling to explain their reads/reasons

VOTE: dkkoba
Well I'm fairly certain that Koba is usually this aggressive and I don't think this relates to "struggling to explain their reads/reasons" in the slightest, it's just how Koba plays the game.
~Alisae

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”