Newbie 428: Eat My Shorts! Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
New Coldness
New Coldness
Goon
New Coldness
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:18 pm

Post by New Coldness »

Arvetis wrote:Then why did you say it?
You made a statement on play philosophy and I disagreed with it.
Caliban wrote:Yeah, it's a brave person who's gonna put the 2nd vote on someone, it does seem to be somewhat of a stalemate just now. I'm not really sure how we can flush out any scum just now, it klinda seems like if they were gonna mess up they would have done by now.
Everyone's been playing pretty conservatively. Not much in the way of attacking, so no scummy offensives to point out and jump on.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:52 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Vote Count

spectrumvoid: 1 (JDodge)
Haut Boy: 1 (SilverPhoenix)
Caliban: 1 (Arvetis)
JDodge: 1 (New Coldness)
New Coldness: 1 (Caliban)
Arvetis: 1 (spectrumvoid)

Not voting: Haut Boy

With 7 alive it will take
votes to lynch!
SilverPhoenix
SilverPhoenix
Goon
SilverPhoenix
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:16 pm

Post by SilverPhoenix »

Hmmm...no posts so far today, so here goes. I re-read the thread and came on these conclusions.

The scum are doing well to hide themselves. Although if this is true...
Arvetis wrote:Scum have a greater opportunity to lose by lurking.
...then the particularly active people are the most scum-worthy, like Caliban, Arvetis, Haut Boy, New Coldness, and I. Since I hear a lot of their opinions, I would like to hear everyone and who they suspect. I don't necessarily suspect those people I listed, but knowing what everyone is thinking is nice...
Caliban wrote:When Silver Pheonix metioned lurking, Haut Boy responded pretty quickly.
I was just trying to spur discussion at this point, not really arouse suspicion or cause an FoS.
Caliban wrote:it kinda seems like if they were gonna mess up they would have done by now.

I wouldn't expect the scum to screw up yet. Even though it is a newbie game, it can take at least until D2 or even D3 to have the scum falter. Of course at that point it is almost too late...

As for my suspicions, none really yet. Want to hear more. :?
[i]Currently lurking about...
[/i]
New Coldness
New Coldness
Goon
New Coldness
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:09 pm

Post by New Coldness »

Number of posts:

Arvetis: 8
Caliban: 23
Haut Boy: 7
JDodge: 8
Me: 15 (including this one)
SilverPhoenix: 8
Spectrumvoid: 3

So the lurkiest among us are Spectrumvoid and (by a tiny margin) Haut Boy.

And I was just about to vote for Spectrumvoid there because I though she was only at one vote when I noticed that the votecount is wrong; both JDodge AND Haut Boy are voting for her. I'm not willing to put her at L-1.

Yet.

Spectrum, you're IC. Who are you suspicious of?
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:57 am

Post by spectrumvoid »

This is a short version of what I was going to post yesterday and hit preview or something... I'll post this even though I'll sound like an idiot.

Caliban:
Original post: Your posts sound a little weird. First, you like activity. Then you withold a theory until prodded by others. Then you talk about having discussion = good, yet seem really afraid of being voted.

[/previous post ends]

Edited post:
-I misread the post order, and I misread the last sentence in post 68, it was supposed to be Caliban deciding not to vote yet, not that he didn't want to be voted.

On Haut Boy: As someone who has played with him elsewhere , I don't have a high opinion of his playstyle, and hence don't find his self-voting particularly scummy.

New Coldness: Are you voting Haut Boy for being scummy, or voting Haut Boy for 'not knowing better?' I'm unhappy with your FOS on HB, firstly because he's not here to defend himself, and secondly because this is a newbie, and I find you jumping over a mistake odd. Also, how sure are you that Haut Boy isn't a newbie?

Caliban: I like Caliban's observations, though I disagree. 2 possibilities:

1. HB + SP = scum.
Contrary to what Caliban posted, it doesn't mean have to rely on the pms before game theory. I've seen smarter scum leading their less-smart scum buddy avoid detection with something like a 'don't lurk' post.

However, I disagree. SP's lurking post doesn't really sound like a lead to his scum buddy. Also, there isn't enough evidence to go on.

Arvetis:
I've seen town lurk + scum lurk. Scum lurk to look non-commital, or they lurk in plain sight. One good example of lurking in plain sight would be Caliban's post 74. (I'm not accusing him of that though, he's had good activity here, unlike me.) So whether town or scum are lurking isn't a solid scum-tell, though I buy into the lurking in plain sight one being scum rather than town.
Blank.
SilverPhoenix
SilverPhoenix
Goon
SilverPhoenix
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:04 am

Post by SilverPhoenix »

spectrumvoid wrote:2 possibilities
Is there a second one? It doesn't really matter that much. I am just curious about what you have to say.
[/i]
New Coldness
New Coldness
Goon
New Coldness
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:40 am

Post by New Coldness »

spectrumvoid wrote:New Coldness: Are you voting Haut Boy for being scummy, or voting Haut Boy for 'not knowing better?'
I'm not voting Haut Boy. I am clearly voting JDodge, and doing so randomly. I'm FoSing Haut Boy for being scummy, because at his experience level, he SHOULD know better.
I'm unhappy with your FOS on HB, firstly because he's not here to defend himself,
Gah-wuh huh? Did he post in some other thread that he would be gone for a while?
and secondly because this is a newbie, and I find you jumping over a mistake odd.
You've seen me play before. Jumping all over mistakes is exactly what I do. And self-voting is a hell of a mistake, if it is one. This isn't like misreading a post number or misspelling someone's name or something.
Also, how sure are you that Haut Boy isn't a newbie?
Because he's got the word "Mafia Scum" under his name there. And he's been here longer than I have. He's got 153 game posts to my 99 (100 after this one). If Haut Boy is a newbie, then I'm an uber-newbie.
New Coldness
New Coldness
Goon
New Coldness
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:40 am

Post by New Coldness »

Ooh, and with my 100th post, I have become a Mafia Scum myself! Yay!
As Town: 2-3
As Scum: 1-0
Arvetis
Arvetis
Goon
Arvetis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:18 pm

Post by Arvetis »

SilverPhoenix wrote:
Arvetis wrote:Scum have a greater opportunity to lose by lurking.
...then the particularly active people are the most scum-worthy, like Caliban, Arvetis, Haut Boy, New Coldness, and I.
Ehhh, not really. Just because lurking at the beginning isn't as scummy as people seem to think, it doesn't mean that not-lurking is scummy. Lurking at this point disadvantages whichever side does it. I just think it disadvantages scum more, since it doesn't help them stay under the radar (quite the opposite) and throws away their opportunity to random-vote.
SilverPhoenix
SilverPhoenix
Goon
SilverPhoenix
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:39 pm

Post by SilverPhoenix »

Grats on your 100th post, Coldness. I have a while to go yet. XD

I'm having mixed feelings about scummie-ness about certain people. I don't think Caliban is super scummy but he certainly is quite active. Not that activeness is a bad thing, but generally an easy scumtell is over-activity to get a bandwagon going on a townie. spectrumvoid only recently revealed her intentions, and JDodge is also an IC player who hasn't revealed his suspicions yet....I find it odd that the ICs in this game are a tad slow to respond but I guess that is a result of them being watchful and not finding anything...

@spectrumvoid's comments about Coldness: I kinda agree with your disdain towards Coldness, but just because this is a newbie game, doesn't mean that mistakes should be shrugged off. Of course, some mistakes are made in jest by new players (like me :P), but others should be interpreted as scumtells.
[/i]
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:31 pm

Post by JDodge »

Sorry, I've been somewhat busy. I'll try to squeeze a reread in tomorrow.
Caliban
Caliban
Townie
Caliban
Townie
Townie

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:04 am

Post by Caliban »

New Coldness wrote:I have become a Mafia Scum myself! Yay!
Lynch him. Damned by his own mouth. :wink:

In all seriousness, I am posting quite a lot, this is my first game and noobness is never an excuse but I'm kinda eager! Although I have bandied about some suspicion I've always made sure to sya that nothing has piqued me enough to cast vote, so I ain't doin no bandwagoning.

While I'm not sure if lurking about is a particularily accurate scum-tell it certainly does not seem to be a positive move in terms of finding scum.

There really isn't all that much to go on yet, more discussion should lead to more ideas being formed, imho.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:36 am

Post by JDodge »

Alright:

For what it's worth, Haut Boy's self-vote seems like it was intended to spur discussion. It seems to have done a good job of it, too.

I agree with SV that Arvetis is scummiest at the moment, though.
Unvote, Vote: Arvetis
Caliban
Caliban
Townie
Caliban
Townie
Townie

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:09 am

Post by Caliban »

Arvetis wrote: It's far more scummy if they disappear when real suspicion is being thrown around.
There's heavy suspicion heading your way sonny jim lets hear it!

Although I think a 50% vote on the back of the few posts Arvetis has made is kind of rash.

But then it will certainly call out an insightful defence, which real or fake can only help.

Game on...
Arvetis
Arvetis
Goon
Arvetis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:46 pm

Post by Arvetis »

Um, not much to say considering there isn't an argument. Nobody's put forward any reasons that I'm scummy. Spectrumvoid didn't call me scummy, his vote was random. I wasn't even his first choice - he misread the vote count and changed his random vote.

You two are either scum or just not thinking.
Arvetis
Arvetis
Goon
Arvetis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:49 pm

Post by Arvetis »

EBWOP: By "you two" I meant JDodge, both for implying that spectrumvoid had actually put forth a reasonable argument against me when he had in fact put forward none, and for implying that a self-vote was good in any way, and Caliban for taking JDodge's crappy argument and running with it.
Caliban
Caliban
Townie
Caliban
Townie
Townie

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:02 pm

Post by Caliban »

Cool your jets sonny jim!

I was not 'running with it' I was simply pointing out that you, yourself, said that not addressing suspicion was scummy.

You'll notice, that I did not feel moved to FOS or vote, I was simply calling for your rebuttal.

You might even have noticed that I suggested the vote was slightly 'rash'.

I was simply interested in the nature of your reply, which could either; be a rational measured post to show that JDodge's vote was rash and not well thought out, or that you would reply with a panicky and accusatory, OMGUS post.
Arvetis
Arvetis
Goon
Arvetis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:30 am

Post by Arvetis »

Caliban wrote:Cool your jets sonny jim!
They're quite cool. I'm just stating what's going on.
I was not 'running with it' I was simply pointing out that you, yourself, said that not addressing suspicion was scummy.
There is no rational suspicion. You could give JDodge the benefit of the doubt and say he's just voicing his gut, but even still he's not presented anything for me to respond to. By implying that there is some kind of real scrutiny, you are, in fact, running with it.
You'll notice, that I did not feel moved to FOS or vote, I was simply calling for your rebuttal.
What do you want me to rebut? Please quote specific arguments.
I was simply interested in the nature of your reply, which could either; be a rational measured post to show that JDodge's vote was rash and not well thought out, or that you would reply with a panicky and accusatory, OMGUS post.
It wasn't panicky or OMGUS. It's quite possible that you simply didn't realize that there was no real argument being given, and I included that in the two possibilities I offered. However, once that's been pointed out, you can't keep demanding rebuttals when there isn't an argument to respond to.
Arvetis
Arvetis
Goon
Arvetis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:32 am

Post by Arvetis »

Something to bear in mind for later: I currently have two votes and haven't been quicklynched. Either our scum is cautious, or at least one of the people voting for me is scum. Bear that in mind for later if I get lynched.
Caliban
Caliban
Townie
Caliban
Townie
Townie

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:43 am

Post by Caliban »

Well you certainly came out and hammered that one! Upon havin a big re-read ( I really should have has a proper read through more recently than now) I can't really agree with voting for Arvetis. Considering the followinf quote, seems to be literally, the reason JDodge voted.
I dunno, at this point I don't think lurking is TOO scummy. It's not much of a risk for scum to come out of the woodwork and make noise while random voting is going on. It's far more scummy if they disappear when real suspicion is being thrown around.
Certainly does not seem that scummy to me. Perhaps, in agreement with Spectrumvoid, it could be a leading post for a scum buddie, but this don't seem likely at this point.

I'm casting my suspicion elsewhere.
Arvetis
Arvetis
Goon
Arvetis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:48 am

Post by Arvetis »

Did he actually cite that quote? I got the impression he just looked at the vote list, saw SV was voting for me, and assumed that SV had actually put forward a reason to agree with. In fact, SV voted for me because I was the only person without a vote at the time.
Arvetis
Arvetis
Goon
Arvetis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:00 am

Post by Arvetis »

Whoa, I just realized that JDodge was the one who pointed out that SpectrumVoid's vote for SilverPhoenix was actually the second vote for SP, and not the first as he thought, promping SV to change his vote to me. Funny, you'd think he'd realize that SV's vote was completely random, considering he was involved in the interaction.
Arvetis
Arvetis
Goon
Arvetis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:18 pm

Post by Arvetis »

Hello? Is there anybody out there?
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:08 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Well, I'm rather disappointed in the lack of activity. I'm going to prod everyone to get them to post.

I'm also going to set a
Deadline: Friday 24th August 9am BST
. I'll accept 3 votes to lynch at the deadline; if nobody has 3 votes by then, the game will go to night without a lynch.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:40 am

Post by JDodge »

I am sick; I may have semi-limited access.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”