Newbie 846 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zyriex
Zyriex
Townie
Zyriex
Townie
Townie

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:56 am

Post by Zyriex »

Also, what do you guy's think of my 68? I swear it's not just a meaningless attack against archaebob.
Considering my history with this site, I fully expect to get hit with the swine flu the next time I make it into a game.
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:09 am

Post by Muffin »

WTH. NO YOU IIIDDDIIIIOOOOTTTTTTT!!!!!! :shock: :x
I thought this part was right on the money. 99.7% of the time it is not pro-town to vote for yourself.
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
muh316
muh316
Goon
muh316
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:25 am

Post by muh316 »

I just want to notify that I am here to everyone. School starts early so i slept early and now i came back from school and 4 pages! Time to catch up with you all.
Zyriex
Zyriex
Townie
Zyriex
Townie
Townie

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 am

Post by Zyriex »

Huh, muh316 is online but isn't posting.

Also, I am a total newb that forgot about the fact that one can hide their online/offline status, so disregard my "don't make a I'm here post" rant in the last post on page 3. But if you do make one
I will expect some sort of analysis, or at the least gut reaction to the game within 36 hours
I'm even giving more than a day! Aren't I so nice?
Considering my history with this site, I fully expect to get hit with the swine flu the next time I make it into a game.
Zyriex
Zyriex
Townie
Zyriex
Townie
Townie

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:28 am

Post by Zyriex »

EPWOP: I hate simul-posting....
muh316
muh316
Goon
muh316
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:00 am

Post by muh316 »

I was reading the current game. It seems like archaebob is trying to get all the suspicions off of himself by voting for himself. A cheap and ineffective strategy in my opinion. He wants the day to end quickly. He wants the night to come so he can(if he is mafia) test out his mafia powers considering he is new.
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:08 am

Post by Muffin »

Muh, what do you think of myself, zyriex, blueraven, and kittymo?
archaebob
archaebob
Mafia Scum
archaebob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:33 am

Post by archaebob »

Zyriex wrote:How in the world would a quicklynch help the the town?? It deprives town of discussion AND drives the game to night. Any information gained from a quicklynch you advocate will not overcome these disadvantages.

Also, you contradict yourself. You claim that you want more people to post, hence your crazy-a** acts, but want the day to end quickly, which would make it impossible for them to post until day 2.
I think the advantages of a quicklynch like that, should it actually occur, would overwhelming favor a town. Especially at this stage of the game.

Anyone who actually hammered on Page 3 would be mafia. You see the logic, do you not? It is totally and utterly unjustifiable as a pro-town action, newbie or not. We would therefore be trading two townies for a guaranteed lynch on the second day. Additionally, the night 1 kill would likely be much less damaging, because the scum would have had no chance to find the "leader" players and/or cop hunt.

Therefore, if the day actually ended, it would be an advantage for the town. I'm therefore inclined to think that no scum would ever be stupid enough to hammer. Meaning that there is no risk to putting someone to L-1 on Page 3. Meaning it's pro-town to do this, because it generates discussion.

For example, your third-grade-esque all caps ad hom comments are allowing the town to make some read on your maturity.
Also, the self-vote. WHY WOULD YO DO THAT!?!?!? There is absolutely no pro-town motivation to do so. Also, any info that can be gained form a quickllynch is drastically reduced when the lynchee voted themselves
Absolutely, huh? You can't think of ANY? C'mon, open up your mind a little.
YOOUUUUU IDDDJJJIIIOOOOOTTTT!!!!!!
Pathetic. Why don't you think about what it is I'm trying to accomplish, before getting on your high horse of how "absolutely" no pro town player would ever do what I just did.
KittyMo wrote:You do realize you're playing almost exactly like Albert B. Rampage, correct...?
I think this sort of stuff is exactly what is needed in the beginning. IMO, he takes it too far into the game. Once people have posted, and there is content to go off of, this sort of thing doesn't make much sense anymore.
Zyriex wrote: Dude, you do realize that sarcasm is a lot harder to transmit across the internet due to the fact that, I don't know, we can't see or hear each other?
Excellent point. I concede my mistake.
Muffin wrote:99.7% of the time it is not pro-town to vote for yourself.
What ass did you pull that out of?
muh 316 wrote:He wants the day to end quickly. He wants the night to come so he can(if he is mafia) test out his mafia powers considering he is new.
Really? You actually think this too? I'll refer you to the above rebuttal
"What happened to your eye?"
"Ice pick, 1957. Anymore questions?"
"Just asking, jeez..."
archaebob
archaebob
Mafia Scum
archaebob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:35 am

Post by archaebob »

unvote

vote: python
until he posts. This is back to L-2, I believe.
"Just asking, jeez..."
BlueRaven
BlueRaven
Goon
BlueRaven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:44 am

Post by BlueRaven »

archaebob wrote:lol.

unvote

k, you passed my test. now i'll answer your question.

I'm just trying to make stuff happen. I generally do this by doing crazy reckless things and watching people react. I want people to post. The more people post, the more the town has to get reads off of.

I got quite a bit of response from you with my antics over the last two pages, didn't I? This will allow the town to read you better, and that's pro-town. I, for one, am no longer suspicious of you atm.

vote: archaebob

I don't really care who the bandwagon is on, as long it's on someone. If someone quick lynches me, it's just as good for the town as it would be if it were python.

In any case, I'm realizing that it's really late in most time-zones now, so this is a little pointless to continue for the time being.

Good night!
You can make stuff happen by doing stuff sensibly. Not in a crazy flail.

I'm also awarding you pro-town points for getting a reaction and allowing us to get a reading.

But voting for your self?! WTH!!!!!!! That just negated all your pro-town points you just earned. And how would quick lynching be a good thing?! It's stupid and can only be assosiated with scum. My figures? Your probobly newb scum...

You also swing your vote round wayyyyyyyy too much.

vote: archaebob
Show
W/L
town: 0/1
scum: 0/0

Some thing has come up. I wont be bk for a month or 2. I've replaced out of all my games. D: sorry guys...
BlueRaven
BlueRaven
Goon
BlueRaven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:45 am

Post by BlueRaven »

archaebob wrote:
unvote

until he posts. This is back to L-2, I believe.
what is your justification for this?
Show
W/L

Some thing has come up. I wont be bk for a month or 2. I've replaced out of all my games. D: sorry guys...
archaebob
archaebob
Mafia Scum
archaebob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:59 am

Post by archaebob »

BR wrote:But voting for your self?! WTH!!!!!!! That just negated all your pro-town points you just earned. And how would quick lynching be a good thing?! It's stupid and can only be assosiated with scum. My figures? Your probobly newb scum.
Blue raven, RTFT.
archaebob wrote: Anyone who actually hammered on Page 3 would be mafia. You see the logic, do you not? It is totally and utterly unjustifiable as a pro-town action, newbie or not. We would therefore be trading two townies for a guaranteed lynch on the second day. Additionally, the night 1 kill would likely be much less damaging, because the scum would have had no chance to find the "leader" players and/or cop hunt.

Therefore, if the day actually ended, it would be an advantage for the town. I'm therefore inclined to think that no scum would ever be stupid enough to hammer. Meaning that there is no risk to putting someone to L-1 on Page 3. Meaning it's pro-town to do this, because it generates discussion.
Blue Raven wrote:
archaebob wrote:
unvote

vote: python until he posts. This is back to L-2, I believe.
what is your justification for this?
Do you even read the posts that you quote from?
archaebob wrote:
unvote

until he posts
. This is back to L-2, I believe.
If this is going to be the full extent of attention you pay to your analysis, then I'm going to just start ignoring you.

@Lurkers

Start posting people. You can't do this for the whole game, and doing it now will only make you more suspicious for when you do start to contribute.
"Just asking, jeez..."
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:03 am

Post by Muffin »

archaebob wrote:@Lurkers

Start posting people. You can't do this for the whole game, and doing it now will only make you more suspicious for when you do start to contribute.
They still have until ~1am tonight Eastern Standard before it's been 48 hours, at which point prods will need to be sent.
hohum wrote:Please try to maintain more than the minimum standard for activity levels which is currently 1 post every 48 hours. If you go 48 hours without posting you will be prodded (as many times as necessary) and if you go 72 hours without posting you will be replaced. Exceptions will be made for low activity periods such as weekends and holidays.
BlueRaven
BlueRaven
Goon
BlueRaven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:05 am

Post by BlueRaven »

i know what you said, but i dont believe that that dosnt warant a vote.

I also dont like the fact that you think 'its ok' to lose 2 townies for a cause that might just get another townie lynched (if the mafia is good enough).

Oh and ignorance is a fatal mistake in this game. Town or Mafia...
Show
W/L

archaebob
archaebob
Mafia Scum
archaebob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:17 am

Post by archaebob »

tell, me oh wisened Blue Raven...how exactly could the mafia get a townie lynched in the scenario I gave you?
"Just asking, jeez..."
Zyriex
Zyriex
Townie
Zyriex
Townie
Townie

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:40 am

Post by Zyriex »

I think the advantages of a quicklynch like that, should it actually occur, would overwhelming favor a town. Especially at this stage of the game.

Anyone who actually hammered on Page 3 would be mafia. You see the logic, do you not? It is totally and utterly unjustifiable as a pro-town action, newbie or not. We would therefore be trading two townies for a guaranteed lynch on the second day. Additionally, the night 1 kill would likely be much less damaging, because the scum would have had no chance to find the "leader" players and/or cop hunt.

True, if what you mentioned in the second paragraph occurred, the town would probably quicklynch Mr.Scum hammerer on day 2 and start day 3 with 1 scum left. However, we would also probably only have 4 townies left, meaning that town would be in LYLO with nearly no information gained from the previous 2 days to go off on.

I've seen situations where new players dropped the hammer before town deemed it prudent, get quicklynched the next day for doing so, and then turn up pro-town. As an aside, the argument that scum wouldn't do something because it's too scummy starts to delve into the wretched regions of WIFOM.

Well, at least you seemed to have accomplished your supposed objective of generating discussion, only most of it seems to be directed negatively at you.

Okay, now I should probably expand on my "self-voting is an awful, awful, thing to do" point.

From a pure statistics viewpoint: If you vote yourself then get quicklynched, the chances of two scum or even one scum being on that wagon decreases quite a bit.

However, when taking into account human nature and thought processes, I believe that we can agree that self-voting is generally perceived as an aggravating, anti-town action by most players. That coupled with the suspicion you were (and still) are under, could quite possibly tilt the scales towards town members voting for who they believe is an anti-town, possibly scummy, player. That isn't taking into account that some people like to lynch self-voters on principle...
Of course, you could argue that scum would leap all over the easy-quick-mis-lynch, but I personally would believe in the worst case scenario that the scum are more manipulative than that and would stand back and let the town pile on since, if the person self-votes, than less innocent townies need to get on to lynch another innocent townie and easy-quick-mis-lynches are almost by definition ones that a lot of town members would jump on.
Zyriex
Zyriex
Townie
Zyriex
Townie
Townie

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:42 am

Post by Zyriex »

Oh, and BlueRaven? Could you follow up on your earlier promise and tell us what you think of python votes both past and present?
python
python
Townie
python
Townie
Townie

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:57 am

Post by python »

Holy holy holy shit. I was legit put on L-1 two or three times with just a confirm vote.

I'd like to pre-empt any comments on this stage of the game by saying that I'm not going to be OMGUS over this, since the RVS kinda went crazy and generated lots of actions and reactions all pertaining to my vote.

Problems with the theory of quicklynching me -- useful information can't be gained, you have no idea at what stage the mafia are voting, you don't know where they wanted to slip their votes to put me at L1 or L2, and ultimately don't know how un-scummy they'd try to look by removing me from L1 or whatever.

Thus I think openly suspicious and open un-suspicious behavior can both be scum tactics to either lynch a townie or ensure they aren't suspected.
archaebob
archaebob
Mafia Scum
archaebob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:59 am

Post by archaebob »

Zyriex, your analysis is rather well done. I still disagree with your main point: I recognize that this is something to be handled with care...but there is no WIFOM involved whatsoever with hammering someone on Page 3 who hasn't even posted in the thread yet. Repeat. HE HASNT EVEN POSTED IN THE THREAD YET. There really is, I think, zero chance of a pro-town player putting up that hammer.

However, I guess I didn't really do the math, because you ARE right that it would put us in lylo.

Meh, fine, I take it back.

I still don't see the self-vote as being harmful. I'll take it off when I become suspicious of someone else.

Stick to these sorts of intelligent posts from now on, and we'll be great friends. Blue Raven, Zyriex is your role model for the day, ok?

I need other people to post. How long until prod?
"Just asking, jeez..."
archaebob
archaebob
Mafia Scum
archaebob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:05 am

Post by archaebob »

unvote. vote: Noramp

let's put everyone at L-2, one at a time, until they post.
Problems with the theory of quicklynching me -- useful information can't be gained, you have no idea at what stage the mafia are voting, you don't know where they wanted to slip their votes to put me at L1 or L2, and ultimately don't know how un-scummy they'd try to look by removing me from L1 or whatever.
My last thoughts on this topic, for real. Let's move on.

There is no way whatsoever for the mafia to sneak out of this. If they do, then there won't be any quicklynch. For there to be a quicklynch, someone has to hammer, and nobody but a mafia would ever do that on Page 3.

Overall, this strategy doesn't work, because as Zyriex pointed out, it puts us in lylo.

Done. Let's get some lurkers under the heat.
"Just asking, jeez..."
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:12 am

Post by Muffin »

python wrote:Holy holy holy shit. I was legit put on L-1 two or three times with just a confirm vote.
Actually I think you only hit L-1 once.
I'd like to pre-empt any comments on this stage of the game by saying that I'm not going to be OMGUS over this, since the RVS kinda went crazy and generated lots of actions and reactions all pertaining to my vote.

Thus I think openly suspicious and open un-suspicious behavior can both be scum tactics to either lynch a townie or ensure they aren't suspected.
Python, what do you think of:

a) archaebob's play style?
b) my early case against Blue Raven?
c) Zyriex' reaction and analysis?
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:14 am

Post by Muffin »

You know, I never actually got an answer to this question. Bolded for emphasis.
Muffin wrote:
archaebob wrote:I didn't find you suspicious when I voted.
Then why did you say that you did?
Here, I'll quote it for you again:
I did seriously find your Blue Raven thing suspicious. I wasn't serious about being ready to lynch you.
Your vote was apparently not serious but your suspicion of me was.
archaebob, why did you say you found me suspicious if, as you claim, you didn't?
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:30 am

Post by Muffin »

Muffin wrote:
python wrote:Holy holy holy shit. I was legit put on L-1 two or three times with just a confirm vote.
Actually I think you only hit L-1 once.
EBWOP never mind, I'm wrong.
python
python
Townie
python
Townie
Townie

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:31 pm

Post by python »

It was for sure at least twice, possibly not explicitly stated one of those two times. You seem to have caught that.

So far I think Zuriek is hitting closest to the truth of the quicklynch idea out of all of you -- identifying the correct opportunity cost of actually doing it.

Archaebob's decision to vote for himself isn't pro-town at all. I'm not positive what he was trying to prove with the stunt other than his undying support for the quicklynch, but ultimately that gets us nowhere because of Zuriek's analysis, y'know, actually being mathematically true. Also I think it's somewhat suspicious, since it can obviously be perceived as an action to prove his "purity" trusting that he won't
actually
get lynched for that. That said, I'm not willing to call a questionable bluff.

The "case" against blue raven, and I had to look for what you could possibly be talking about, is a very small small part of what worries me now, which is mostly focused on archaebob's actions. It was short-lived and ultimately I didn't find it scum-like, it was really early and although it had little substance I have a low threshold for what I expect that early on.

ARCHAEBOB: Why are you moving your votes around so much and what exactly made you suspicious of like the last three people you've voted for?
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:45 pm

Post by Muffin »

muh: I keep seeing your name in the "online players" listing.

Surely by now you've formed some opinions on the game. Share them please?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”