Newbie 738: NKOTB - Game Over - Town Wins!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
keyburrito
keyburrito
Townie
keyburrito
Townie
Townie

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:42 pm

Post by keyburrito »

Quinnster, I unvoted EA because of the unexplained vote on bionic in the second page. I don't think a smart scum would make a vote like that; my guess was that he was trying to lure nooby scum into a trap, although he's denied this.

Anyway, you guys don't seem to like it when I talk about EA, so I'll talk about AndyTony instead. I'm having a hard time following him, and I don't think he's lying when he calls himself a nutcase. What did the references that he made earlier have to do with anything?
Stop right there criminal scum! Nobody breaks the law on MY watch! I'm confiscating your gun, now say your last words and it's off to the lynch!
MikeSC6
MikeSC6
Goon
MikeSC6
Goon
Goon

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:35 am

Post by MikeSC6 »

What reason would scum-Lester have to fake it?
I read it as faked naivete. "Oopsy-me, how many mafia are there?" you know? Foregrounding the idea that he didn't know about the mafia's numbers- when we know for certain there are two. It's hard to tell over the internet what's a mistake and what's a tell, though.
Why wouldn't scum do it?
I wouldn't have imagined scum to be that careless. But then it's quite possible that he's just clever scum. Or that there wasn't anything behind it at all!

These are just impressions, rather than a statement of "I think XXX is scum"- to try and kickstart some conversation, which is why I didn't vote or even FOS. We'll have a better chance of figuring this out if we post whatever impressions we get, I think.

There's been a fair few posts since my last visit, I'll have to have a look through.
Mr. Dandy
Mr. Dandy
Townie
Mr. Dandy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:45 am

Post by Mr. Dandy »

I can't conclude much of now but Erratus Apathos is playing well too nice for me and yet MikeSC6's reason was convincing and has unvoted bionicchop2, he still looks scum to me.

No one is innocent though...
A brave man used to say:
"Limited edition item reservations are one per person!"
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:56 am

Post by elvis_knits »

YOUR THIRD VOTE COUNT:

Lester Groans - 1 - bionicchop2
bionicchop - 2 - EA, andyTony
MikeSC6 - 1 - Mr. Dandy

Not voting:

Jlblue
KeyBurrito
MikeSC6
Quinnster
LesterGroans

9 Alive, 5 to lynch!

I'm getting a replacement for jlblue
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
AndyTony
AndyTony
Mafia Scum
AndyTony
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:04 am

Post by AndyTony »

keyburrito wrote: Anyway, you guys don't seem to like it when I talk about EA, so I'll talk about AndyTony instead. I'm having a hard time following him, and I don't think he's lying when he calls himself a nutcase. What did the references that he made earlier have to do with anything?
- I said "nutbar". I was playfully self proclaiming that my conversation skills were crashing and burning - - no need for a personal attack.

That having been said...

- - - You have a hard time following, but to be fair, all of the negative qualities about my posts are saying "
Newbie who likes conversation and movies
" - - You see, I'm making
goofs, not
scum
goofs.

It's
you
who in a time of random guessing found himself supporting Erratus without explaining your reasoning so early in the game - He placed an early third vote and had a hasty forgiveness to Lester when he made his own scummy move - I agree with Quinnsters reaction -
Quinnster wrote:
keyburrito
- I found his support of Erratus a little scummy, especially this early in the game before real knowledge can be had. At the outset, he random voted Erratus (through reading games, I've found that a lot of goons random vote each other early in the game), then he backs him up when his playing was one of the scummiest. This is sneaky to me...
And now, still early in the game, I find you more suspicious -
keyburrito wrote:Quinnster, I unvoted EA because of the unexplained vote on bionic in the second page. I don't think a smart scum would make a vote like that; my guess was that he was trying to lure nooby scum into a trap, although he's denied this.

Anyway, you guys don't seem to like it when I talk about EA, so I'll talk about AndyTony instead. I'm having a hard time following him, and I don't think he's lying when he calls himself a nutcase. What did the references that he made earlier have to do with anything?
Did EA win you over with what you thought was a solid explanation? Everone read it on the second page for fun.
Did it really win you over so fast?
Why did it please you to think of it as a
possible
townie trick to catch a scum rather than a
solid
scum tactic? why is a weak probably better than a strong idea?
Why are you consistently throughout this thread trying to people please? If we refer to page to we see buddying attempts, proclaiming people as "townies" in an attempt to apease them, we see "playful" threats of "I'll vote you again"....
And why, immediately after, and in an attempt to be a people pleaser (cute.) - did you feel a good tactic was to investigate
traits instead of tactics and actions? That's either personal - an attempt to distract - or more confusing than I've aparently been!

Because if you boil it down. I've:
Voted once (explained it as random).
I changed it to Bionic (newbie confusion on my part from his signature change - explained it). And that's all.

are all my official actions really suspicious? because everything in between is once again - silly movie buff convo.

Am I crazy threatening? More so than ANYBODY you could have talked about to make us all happy (oh and we DO very much enjoy you picking who to talk to based on the masses).

Look harder and don't try to win the masses over with my oh so "mysterious" actions - - I'm sure you have a grand personality and that's good enough for me.

Unvote: Bionicchop2

Vote: KeyBurrito

There. My reasons are up above in case you skimmed. And to make them clear.

I'm voting you upon suspicion based on
-Groundless voting to a seemingly scummy player followed by an alliance upon his more suspicious action
-Personal negativity and scum nature in the form of threats to vote someone with no good reason (see page 2)
-Proclaiming "townie" to apease people
-Calling out a newbie instead of a scum in order to once again - - please everyone.

I'm suspicious of you and have changed my votes. - - my official actions are all explained.

**Everyone - I've written all this to declare that I'm a newb, not to clear me of scum status - - If you find me scummy, don't be shy to bring it up - just have more to go off :)***
"It's Not A Breeze, 'Cause It Blows Hard"
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:23 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Grandi replaces JlBlue.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:44 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

OK, took off work today because I still feel like crap. Should be able to do a solid post later.
The above written statement is pro-town.
Quinnster
Quinnster
Goon
Quinnster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:07 am

Post by Quinnster »

Grandi, I read your other game, and I must say I'm impressed at your analysis. You'll either be an excellent addition to the town, or a very tough mafioso. Welcome to the game.
Little triggers, how do you do?
I've been waiting, waiting for you.
Grandi
Grandi
Goon
Grandi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:16 am

Post by Grandi »

Hey everyone :)

Thanks, Quinnster. You mean the one i'm currently in, or the one i got fooled by the fake cop?

Reading now, shouldn't take very long.
MikeSC6
MikeSC6
Goon
MikeSC6
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:24 am

Post by MikeSC6 »

Welcome, Grandi!
Quinnster
Quinnster
Goon
Quinnster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:07 am

Post by Quinnster »

I meant the fake cop one, haha.
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:36 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

unvote Lester; vote Quinnster

I will try to outline a small case later as I feel much better today. As I mentioned when I questioned keyburrito, I find it odd how anybody can get a read on the full list of players - enough to rank them out. Doing a full player list and analysis on page 3 strikes me as an attempt to look like scum hunting.

Quinn - could you explain your reason for making the list please.
Mr. Dandy
Mr. Dandy
Townie
Mr. Dandy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:14 am

Post by Mr. Dandy »

I must say i was about to do the same thing Quinnster did. I asked myself your question and didn't made it. I don't wanna be called scum when there are others that look far more dangerous.
A brave man used to say:
Quinnster
Quinnster
Goon
Quinnster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:34 am

Post by Quinnster »

My reasons for making the large post were twofold:

1. I felt bad for not posting in a couple of days.
2. I wanted to collect all of my thoughts and all the info I had on anyone in one place. It's not much, and I don't mean to make a substantial case against anyone. If people are reading my post looking for suspects, it's void of real evidence.

It was mainly to collect my thoughts, as I said, and for myself to know where I stand. In fact, I find it's more profitable for the town if we all lay our cards on the table, is it not? No use hiding suspicions, we need all the information we can get.
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:06 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

Quinnster wrote:It was mainly to collect my thoughts, as I said, and for myself to know where I stand. In fact, I find it's more profitable for the town if we all lay our cards on the table, is it not? No use hiding suspicions, we need all the information we can get.
IC commentMake use of your 'notes' link to compose your thoughts on a game. I use notepad to type my posts/thoughts, then store my game notes in the notes link which have my views on every player in the game.

Having all your cards on the table can help scum. I don't see being completely open as scummy. If you had posted that on page 10, I probably would not have commented unless I had a specific point about something you said. IMO, you didn't have any cards to put on the table, but wanted to look productive.
Quinnster
Quinnster
Goon
Quinnster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:20 am

Post by Quinnster »

Good call, I didn't think that through enough. Anyway, figured I'd try to jumpstart a discussion somehow, and it appears that I've done that, even if it happens to be in my direction. It was a lousy play, I'll admit that, but I can't take it back now, so let's see where it leads.
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:45 am

Post by Erratus Apathos »

MikeSC6 wrote:
What reason would scum-Lester have to fake it?
I read it as faked naivete. "Oopsy-me, how many mafia are there?" you know? Foregrounding the idea that he didn't know about the mafia's numbers- when we know for certain there are two. It's hard to tell over the internet what's a mistake and what's a tell, though.
I get that he
could
have faked it. But scum don't fake things without a reason, and I don't see a compelling reason for him to fake it.
MikeSC6 wrote:
Why wouldn't scum do it?
I wouldn't have imagined scum to be that careless.
:? Why not? Does being town make ordinary people careless, or does being scum make careless people ordinary?

Mr. Dandy wrote:I can't conclude much of now but Erratus Apathos is playing well too nice for me
Because I cleared a player?
bionicchop2 wrote:Having all your cards on the table can help scum. I don't see being completely open as scummy. If you had posted that on page 10, I probably would not have commented unless I had a specific point about something you said. IMO, you didn't have any cards to put on the table, but wanted to look productive.
Bionic accuses Quinnster of not having any reasoning behind his opinions in 67, when Quinnster gave his reasoning for them
in the very same post
. This doesn't feel like actual scumhunting at all.

Unvote
Vote: bionicchop2
Do you want your possessions identified?
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:59 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

Erratus Apathos wrote:
bionicchop2 wrote:Having all your cards on the table can help scum. I don't see being completely open as scummy. If you had posted that on page 10, I probably would not have commented unless I had a specific point about something you said. IMO, you didn't have any cards to put on the table, but wanted to look productive.
Bionic accuses Quinnster of not having any reasoning behind his opinions in 67, when Quinnster gave his reasoning for them
in the very same post

Unvote
Vote: bionicchop2
So you think 66 posts into a game gives enough inforation on every player to give a valid analysis of each?
Quinnster
Quinnster
Goon
Quinnster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Post by Quinnster »

It's not a valid analysis, that's the point. It was my thoughts on each at the time, I never claimed them to be definitive.
AndyTony
AndyTony
Mafia Scum
AndyTony
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:21 pm

Post by AndyTony »

Quinnster wrote:It's not a valid analysis, that's the point. It was my thoughts on each at the time, I never claimed them to be definitive.
It would be more productive for you to organize those thoughts via the tips bionic suggested and attempting to make them definitive on your own - not just to throw thoughts out there and see what sticks, I guess...

We also have a new face in the town to consider and we should wait to see what develops with the new addition - or are we assuming new joiners this late in the posting can't be scum? lol

Lets forward the conversations then - - Is it out of line for us all to post a list of our top three suspects with valid reasons why? - - that way, we have post-supported reasons, a simple three names, and an opportunity for whoever is named to best explain themselves etc.

Everyone down?
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:43 pm

Post by Erratus Apathos »

bionicchop2 wrote:So you think 66 posts into a game gives enough inforation on every player to give a valid analysis of each?
No, but it's not relevant what I think; it's what Quinnster thought that matters.
AndyTony wrote:It would be more productive for you to organize those thoughts via the tips bionic suggested and attempting to make them definitive on your own - not just to throw thoughts out there and see what sticks, I guess...

We also have a new face in the town to consider and we should wait to see what develops with the new addition - or are we assuming new joiners this late in the posting can't be scum? lol
We shouldn't come to any conclusions before Grandi's even spoken, but we don't need to hold back discussion for him.
AndyTony wrote:Lets forward the conversations then - - Is it out of line for us all to post a list of our top three suspects with valid reasons why? - - that way, we have post-supported reasons, a simple three names, and an opportunity for whoever is named to best explain themselves etc.

Everyone down?
I'd like to try this. I think it'd work better if we didn't start right now, though, since we currently have very little room to judge Grandi or Mr. Dandy.
Do you want your possessions identified?
AndyTony
AndyTony
Mafia Scum
AndyTony
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Post by AndyTony »

Perfect! - we'll let them settle in and hopefully give it a go.
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Post by bionicchop2 »

Erratus Apathos wrote:
bionicchop2 wrote:So you think 66 posts into a game gives enough inforation on every player to give a valid analysis of each?
No, but it's not relevant what I think; it's what Quinnster thought that matters.
How do you have any idea what he thought? He admits the analysis is invalid prior to you even posting this. To me, it was worth questioning and certainly more worthy of a vote than my random vote.

Erratus Apathos wrote: Bionic accuses Quinnster of not having any reasoning behind his opinions in 67, when Quinnster gave his reasoning for them
in the very same post
Back to this, I never said he didn't have reasons. I wanted to check when I wasn't reading on my phone to make sure I didn't say it before calling you out on this. I said there isn't enough information in the thread at this time of the post to do a full analysis on the players and I stand by that. I am not too concerned with you thinking I am scum, but if you are going to chainsaw my questioning of another player, at least don't change what I am saying to a loose interpretation of what I actually said.
Mr. Dandy
Mr. Dandy
Townie
Mr. Dandy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:22 pm

Post by Mr. Dandy »

Erratus Apathos wrote:Because I cleared a player?
Yes and no. Your shot was well played.

Three names... sounds interesting for 1st round.

You should be careful with Grandi. He not even posted something about the game. I have most of my opinions on the table and to simply spit more imprecise thoughs would be worse.
A brave man used to say:
AndyTony
AndyTony
Mafia Scum
AndyTony
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:26 pm

Post by AndyTony »

We'll all give ours after Grandi has a read through of the thread and starts us off with his three.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”