[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #5700 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:23 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Retired as of October 2014.
JacobSavage
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5701 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:25 am

Post by JacobSavage »

Everyone needs
good
Neighbours

9 Town Neighbours
3 Scum Neighbours
Night Start.

Split {T,T,T} {T,T,T} {T,T,M} {T,M,M}
Scum have day talk.
"
I don't have an opinion, everything is great.
"

I have a GTKAS!
| Slightly V/LA at the moment
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5702 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:14 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 5701, JacobSavage wrote:
Everyone needs
good
Neighbours

9 Town Neighbours
3 Scum Neighbours
Night Start.

Scum have day talk.

Distribute Neighbors randomly, but guarantee that all 3 mafia cannot be in the same neighborhood.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5703 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:15 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 5697, TehBrawlGuy wrote:I'm toying with an idea, but I'd like feedback on it before I move forward to balancing it. Essentially, while I like multiball, it's far too swingy. This is my aim at creating something that feels a little like multiball, without being as crazy due to crosskills.

2 scumteams of 2, both teams win/lose together. Both have a factional kill. The twist? Both also have a factional cop, and may also choose each night to not kill in return for being able to cop twice. The factional kills will kill a mafia member.

As far as other roles, I definitely want to see a Town Tailor. Maybe Town faction-specific cops as well, although I love the idea of Town Tailor + Scum copping and not much else.

I'm not sure the cop would really get used, or what a reason to use it would be.
Docteur Gudsight
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5704 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:33 am

Post by Docteur Gudsight »

I guess it is to determine who the other half of the team is.

The idea of two mafia halves searching each other is interesting, but i'm not sure that replacing the NK by cop shots is the best way to do it.

Also it looks pretty harsh for the town. 4 allied scum with 2NK vs 9 townies? Even with the possibility of a misshot, this looks impossible. Heck, if the day1 lynch and NK are not on mafia, all mafioso can claim and win.
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5705 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:38 am

Post by Ineffective »

In post 5704, Docteur Gudsight wrote:I guess it is to determine who the other half of the team is.

The idea of two mafia halves searching each other is interesting, but i'm not sure that replacing the NK by cop shots is the best way to do it.

Also it looks pretty harsh for the town. 4 allied scum with 2NK vs 9 townies? Even with the possibility of a misshot, this looks impossible. Heck, if the day1 lynch and NK are not on mafia, all mafioso can claim and win.

ya scum would need to be opposed for that to work
JacobSavage
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5706 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 am

Post by JacobSavage »

In post 5702, quadz08 wrote:Distribute Neighbors randomly, but guarantee that all 3 mafia cannot be in the same neighborhood.

Make's sense, however would that still be classed as open?
"
"

I have a GTKAS!
ArcAngel9
ArcAngel9
Jack of All Trades
ArcAngel9
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5707 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:51 am

Post by ArcAngel9 »

In post 5701, JacobSavage wrote:
Everyone needs
good
Neighbours

9 Town Neighbours
3 Scum Neighbours
Night Start.

Scum have day talk.

This one is great!!
when this is up, i would like to sign in :)
I
n
a
t
i
m
e
o
f
a
n
c
i
e
n
t
g
o
d
s
w
a
r
l
o
r
d
s
a
n
d
k
i
n
g
s
a
l
a
n
d
i
n
t
u
r
m
o
i
l
c
r
i
e
d
o
u
t
f
o
r
a
h
e
r
o
S
h
e
w
a
s
X
e
n
a
a
m
i
g
h
t
y
p
r
i
n
c
e
s
s
f
o
r
g
e
d
i
n
t
h
e
h
e
a
t
o
f
b
a
t
t
l
e
T
h
e
p
o
w
e
r
t
h
e
p
a
s
s
i
o
n
t
h
e
d
a
n
g
e
r
H
e
r
c
o
u
r
a
g
e
w
i
l
l
c
h
a
n
g
e
t
h
e
w
o
r
l
d
-
Xena Warrior Princess, Coming Soon!!
JacobSavage
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5708 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:59 am

Post by JacobSavage »

Once it gets approvals/ someone decides to mod it...

In terms on numbers is that about right? If it was randomly generated should that be balanced, its effectivly a 9:3 mountainous, should I add in something

(e.g. C9++ neighbours for example?)
"
"

I have a GTKAS!
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #5709 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 am

Post by Faraday »

Well even if you consider neighbourhoods pro town they're not pro town enough to offset 10:3 imo.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
JacobSavage
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5710 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:55 am

Post by JacobSavage »

Which is why I'm think it might be worth adding it as a modification to another open set up.
"
"

I have a GTKAS!
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5711 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 am

Post by quadz08 »

I dunno about a modification to an existing setup, but the concept is still good with a couple PRs.
JacobSavage
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5712 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 am

Post by JacobSavage »

I'm thinking of something along the lines of:
Town Encyrptor (gives day talk to Neighbourhood, also effectively an innocent child)
Bodyguard
Roleblocker
"
"

I have a GTKAS!
Docteur Gudsight
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5713 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 am

Post by Docteur Gudsight »

Bodyguard in an almost all vanilla setup is a bad idea. It's never nice to sacrifice yourself. Sacrificing yourself for a vanilla townie is ugly.
JacobSavage
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5714 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Post by JacobSavage »

Hmm I want to give a protective role but I think Doctor + innocent child is jus over powered.

Perhaps Jailkeeper and Voyeur instead?
"
"

I have a GTKAS!
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #5715 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Post by UberNinja »

In post 5665, petapan wrote:what if a hider hides behind a hider that targets scum

In post 5671, Ineffective wrote:The targeted hider wouldnt die but the hider targeting him would

No, Hiders that successfully Hide can't be targeted. Therefore, the Hider targeting scum would die, and the Hider targeting the other Hider would have his action fail, and could be targeted.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #5716 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

Connect the answers to the right question UN.
reposnse to petapan's question was
In post 5666, Ineffective wrote:Imo since mafia/vig did not target hider b hider a lives

that answer you gave was a reponse to
In post 5670, Cheery Dog wrote:Even just two hiders hiding behind each other boosts town win rates by a lot.

Though the real point of the question is out that happens, are either out those hiders targetable
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #5717 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Post by UberNinja »

Lol I'm totally like 50 posts behind, I don't know what I'm doing

Ignore me
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5718 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Post by Ineffective »

In post 5665, petapan wrote:what if a hider hides behind a hider that targets scum

In post 5666, Ineffective wrote:Imo since mafia/vig did not target hider b hider a lives
was the actual in line conversation to that question. the post you quoted was in response to if hider a and b are on each other and mafia targets one.
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5719 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Post by Ineffective »

oh cheery covered that lol
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5720 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Post by Ineffective »

In post 5687, Ineffective wrote:1 cult recruiter
1 diviner (knows all cult members as soon as they are culted. Counts toward cult:town ratio as cult. Wins in place of cult if not culted/lynchedbefore cult win)
1 cleric (if targeting the same person as cult recruiter, target dies as town. Cannot be culted.)
1 martyr (can kill himself day or night to reveal the role of another player)
7 town vanilla

Game related pms allowed. if cult recruiter is lynched cult may no longer recruit, but remain alive to try to win by lynching. in night actions martyrs self kill comes first, so if he is culted same night he dies as town

btw this is unnamed, looking for a theme-like name along the lines of the role names.
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5721 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Post by Ineffective »

In post 5697, TehBrawlGuy wrote:I'm toying with an idea, but I'd like feedback on it before I move forward to balancing it. Essentially, while I like multiball, it's far too swingy. This is my aim at creating something that feels a little like multiball, without being as crazy due to crosskills.

2 scumteams of 2, both teams win/lose together. Both have a factional kill. The twist? Both also have a factional cop, and may also choose each night to not kill in return for being able to cop twice. The factional kills will kill a mafia member.

As far as other roles, I definitely want to see a Town Tailor. Maybe Town faction-specific cops as well, although I love the idea of Town Tailor + Scum copping and not much else.

Ok how about a big game? Maybe 20 players. Too small of a game and optimal play leads to zero chance of mafia miskilling

Perhaps a fown framer would help as well?
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5722 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

In post 5703, quadz08 wrote:

I'm not sure the cop would really get used, or what a reason to use it would be.

That's probably as a result of my communication at late hours being awful. Let me rephrase:

Every night, the scumteam can cop, and additionally get a choice between a second cop and a standard kill.

I'm still not sure I like that, but I can't think of how to make it better, other than maybe making the free cop X-Shot.

In post 5704, Docteur Gudsight wrote:I guess it is to determine who the other half of the team is.

They get the first shot/night for free, the second is to make shooting-every-night not always the best option. (although it probably still is)

There would definitely be more than 9 townies; I just didn't pick a number then because balancing late at night is bleh.

In post 5721, Ineffective wrote:

Ok how about a big game? Maybe 20 players. Too small of a game and optimal play leads to zero chance of mafia miskilling

In post 5721, Ineffective wrote:

That's a closer # to what I had in mind, although I think 20 is probably too big.

Town tailor
is
a town framer.
I don't have anything to put here because my normal signature is images. Weeeeee.
JacobSavage
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5723 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Post by JacobSavage »

@Ineffective: Culty Goodness?
"
"

I have a GTKAS!
Ineffective
Ineffective
Goon
Ineffective
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5724 (ISO) » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:23 am

Post by Ineffective »

@tehbrawlguy

with 20 players, consider that after a n1 nk and 2 investigations each then a mislynch and 2 kills n2, the odds are overwhelming that the game rests at 17 players

on more mislynch one more night kill and mafia have a moderate chance of being well educated on posible allies and havea voting block of 4 out of a total of 13 players.

lynching correctly at this point or anything past this is still a likely mafia win... so town essentially has 2 mislynches to gain the advantage before scum can handily dominate with little effort. one more mislynch and one more night kill lands it at near mafia autowin.

seemed like a good balance to me considering you prefer the idea of mafia being more informed with reports than town.
Last edited by Ineffective on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”