Song Contest 157 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:22 am

Post by Cyril »

Drench’s House – I mean it’d be a pretty funny sketch on a comedy sketch show or something. I didn’t actually watch the video because I never do so I’m sure I lost part of the experience but when half of it is them talking over the music and half of it is a self-parody song I’m not sure I even feel like treating this as a “song” proper. It’d be “Decent” if I did, I guess, but I’m not going to.

Canada – Considering the entire premise of Poppy is to be artificial I don’t mind her putting on a costume like this. It’s also, obviously, not gonna be metal that has any notable personality of its own by design though. I think her voice does compliment the music well but the music is very, very standard, though I still enjoy it regardless. (DECENT)

Poland – I’ve never listened to Joy Division so I probably don’t get the joke. But this was a pretty fun hybrid of indie rock sounds and punk energy. I dunno, I feel like depending on my mood I could’ve hated this but right now I’m digging it. (DECENT)

Nauru – Ahh another song in that “folky indie-ish sound” I don’t have a good word for. I pretty much always find these songs enjoyable enough but they’re also rarely anything I particularly love, this being no exception. I don’t have anything to say about the song or artist itself, it’s very standard for the sound. Also heh. Foxlore. (AVERAGE)

Transylvania – It’s like the exactly meeting ground between Nightwish-y female-fronted symphonic power metal and Ayreon-esque rock opera-isms. Wouldn’t sound out of place in either artist’s catalogue but doesn’t sound exactly like either of them, either. It’s kind of generic in that sense and I doubt it’ll be one of my faves but it’s still solidly enjoyable. (DECENT)

Hinamizawa – To me this sounds like a post-hardcore song without any of the hardcore elements, like the quiet interlude track to give the listener a breather between heavier stuff. It’s not that, these guys don’t seem to be that kind of band at all, but the sound made me spend the entire song waiting for it to really come to life and it never really did. Not a huge fan of the dude’s voice either but ultimately this is overall solid if not a bit underwhelming. (AVERAGE)

Anguilla – The production is actually really nice and colorful and I dig it but I’m just. Not really a fan of this flavor of rapping. It ain’t bad and doesn’t ruin the song but I think I’d enjoy this more if it was instrumental. (AVERAGE)

Iceland – I already loved this (song & album) the first time I listened to it just on sound alone, but having the (really damn excellent) lyrics in front of me just made it all even better. This song is about domestic abuse btw. I could’ve probably picked any song off the album really. I’m gonna push these guys in literally everyone’s faces idc if you’re even into metal.

Vermont – Since it’s not immediately obvious from the way this was submitted, the song ends at around the 7:40 mark according to the youtube description. No other way this could’ve been submitted? Ehh. This is a pretty cool sound albeit I think they’re relying a bit too much on guitar effects over actual substance. Drums can rock my world though. (DECENT)

either i'm feeling nice atm or this actually is a pretty good contest so far
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:05 pm

Post by petapan »

In post 50, Cyril wrote:I’ve never listened to Joy Division so I probably don’t get the joke.
they made depressing songs and the lead singer killed himself. thats the joke.

that being said you should fix never having listened to them
free crypto
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:47 pm

Post by Cyril »

nah
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:05 pm

Post by petapan »

you're loss
free crypto
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Post by Cyril »

no i'm cyril
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:48 am

Post by Cyril »

Armenia – It’s got an interesting sound to it and the strings pull a lot of weight but the overall sound ends up coming off a little… dry, for my tastes. Dunno, didn’t mind it but it kinda faded into the background for me. (AVERAGE)

Burkina Faso – It’s got a balance of groovy and soulful with a bit of a bitter undertone to it. If I were more into coffee, I’d probably describe it relative to some brand of coffee. I think it’s missing any deeper connection that makes it something notable to me but I did like it. (AVERAGE)

Ireland – They’ve got a very competent indie rock sound going on here but man there’s not really… any personality or flavor to it. And it goes on way too long for what it is, it feels like. I dunno, fundamentally this isn’t worse than any other song this contest so far but it’s one of the ones I’m least looking forward to revisiting. (AVERAGE)

The Place Where Vi Hides Their 12’s – To an extent it feels like an attempt to merge two of the biggest mainstream pop sounds of the year – the light funk-pop verses and the synthwave-y chorus – and they do so without really putting any twist on either other than mashing the two together, but they do accomplish that fusion well even if it’s a bit lacking in personality besides. (AVERAGE)

Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria – Mmnn the vocals are decent and I guess I’d find this a little less obnoxious if not for the context and also the length. Especially the length. The production’s theoretically fine too though it’s a little grating at moments. I dunno I tried to like this and I guess if it were like two minutes shorter maybe I’d give it a pass but this is a fad I’d rather stay dead and buried at this point. (MEDIOCRE)

Gaugamela – I was gonna go like “ahh, ska-punk” but the ska influences kinda disappeared after the first verse. Maybe for the better as this is a pretty compelling pop-punk sound that mixed things up a lot while still holding together around a solid hook and while I wasn’t paying that much attention to the storytelling this time around it does seem intriguing in that aspect as well. Pretty cool. (DECENT)

Norway – Well, I always thought Sigrid was some of those indie synthpop artists (looking just a little deeper it seems like she is, but this is an acoustic version of a song so woops) so this caught me a little off guard. And it’s uhh… a solid piano ballad performed pretty well. I dunno without any deeper connection to it, it doesn’t hit that hard for me, but it’s pleasant. (AVERAGE)

Jamaica – Hits the same sweet spot of groovy and soulful that Burkina Faso did but replacing the vocals with a lovely violin lead just pushes it that extra step above. Really not much else to add. (DECENT)

Libya – Oh Saosin. I think post-hardcore, at its core, does need to have some pop sensibilities to it, some sing-along choruses and a sense of melody in its guitar lines, but I also feel like it’s toeing a dangerous line where leaning too far into pop sounds or making them the focus strips away some deeper emotional connection or sands of the unique personality of a given band. And I’ve just never found Saosin to have either of those. They have a solid sound at their core but it doesn’t stand out as special to me in any way, just… passable. (AVERAGE)

are all the garbage crap songs in the last 8 i have to listen to or something? even the weakest songs here are barely below my usual "average" bar atm lol this is wild
yet i'm also still waiting for something to really impress me
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:36 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 55, Cyril wrote:are all the garbage crap songs in the last 8 i have to listen to or something?
don't get your hopes down
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Raya36
Raya36
Mafia Scum
Raya36
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:35 pm

Post by Raya36 »

Here's my top 10:

Norway: Beautiful song with beautiful vocals. I really felt it. I agree with a comment that said it's one of the few breakup songs that don't have any anger. I've already listened to this on repeat. I love the emotion put into it. You can hear it in her voice and see it on her face.
Greece: This is a catchy pop/rock song I enjoyed listening to and would listen to again.
Libya: This is very much my style and something I would listen to again. Only downside is I feel like the vocals are a tiny bit quiet.
Flavortown: This song is really good, I love the heaviness, reminded me of Slipknot a lot at first. I was impressed by the different vocals. Someone I might listen to again.
Transylvania: Good guitar instrumental, something about the guitar style reminded me a lot of an Avenged Sevenfold sound. The vocals are fitting.
Hinamizawa: Good catchy soft rock song
Iceland: Good heavy song, missing a bit of melody for me, but still good.
Ireland: Catchy song with a good beat, few parts I didn't like too much though. Overall a good song.
Guagamela: The concept reminds me a bit of A Little Piece of Heaven by Avenged Sevenfold.
Germany: I enjoyed this song, catchy, good rapping. She has a really nice voice too.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:51 pm

Post by Cyril »

Switzerland – Fundamentally this probably isn’t that bad on its own but this entire aesthetic of synth-laded rap metal/core is just… an aesthetic that repulses me on a fundamental level. I can’t personally imagine making or listening to music like this past the age of 18, and I can tell these guys definitely ain’t teenagers. (MEDIOCRE)

Denmark – I get the significance of the lyrics, obviously, the US did a horrible thing that there is no excuse for (one of many, many things but that doesn’t lessen the importance of this one). And considering the performer’s personal connection to the events it does add weight for him to be performing it. But like, outside of the narrative, as a piece of music, it doesn’t do much for me. (AVERAGE)

Greece – I like the bluesy vibes of this one but the synths just do not add anything to the song for me, they only detract. Meh. (AVERAGE)

Egypt – She’s a very talented performer and that’s undeniable but the song, as a whole, is kind of leaving me cold. There’s just a disconnect between myself and the style and for as much passion as her voice has, the music feels a bit basic and unable to match that power. Probably still worth a decent compared to a lot of the averages in this contest but it’s precarious. (DECENT)

USA – The math rock guitar style is always a mixed blessing as it pretty much always leads to very pretty and technically satisfying leads, but also a very clinical guitar tone that I feel just needs more edge to it. I do think they at least avoid the pitfall of skipping out on having any hooks at all, and the vocals are pretty solid, but it’s on top of all that very short on content, it feels like. I still dig it, one of the better songs here for sure, but I feel frustratingly distant from it. (DECENT)

Flavortown – Errrgh the vocals are like this horrible mix of the worst SikTh vocals, those raspy speak-screeching thing they do that I’ve always hated, plus the guttural deathcore-leaning growls that I can’t take seriously. I will acknowledge the clean vocals on the bridge are pretty solid and I actually really like the slightly harsh cleans on the chorus too, but… also, musically, it’s just the chuggiest, blandest riffing with little noticeable variation. Yeah, no, hard pass.

Germany – Any kind of rap delivery is already a hard sell for me but when it’s straight up in a language I don’t speak that’s just doubling the barrier of entry. The rest of this is fundamentally fine if not a bit inoffensive/generic though. She’s a solid enough singer though I feel she comes off a bit dry but I don’t have any real problems with this besides the one thing, it just doesn’t do much for me either. (AVERAGE)

Bolivia – It has a nice dreamy atmosphere to it but it also feels a little bit… sterile, or at least the vocals do, maybe not so much the instrumentation, but. It’s kinda just hitting on one singular mood for four minutes without much in the way of variation either. I dunno. It’s got a nice vibe but it’s not warm enough for me to get lost in and not dynamic enough to keep me engaged the whole way through. (AVERAGE)

naturally the only songs i disliked this time around are the metalcore ones, which is funny bcuz i've been more into metalcore this year than usual
het
het
Townie
het
Townie
Townie

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:03 pm

Post by het »

I want to submit but I don't see an NA option in the dropdown. Anyway:
Spoiler: thoughts
Egypt - Aretha Franklin - Really beautiful, Aretha has an amazing voice and does such a skillful job choosing when to really let it loose. I dunno if I'd put this on regularly but it's very good.

Switzerland - From Ashes to New - I can get why people would like this, it's got a good driving beat on the chorus, which isn't exactly catchy but is fist-pumpy I guess. The rap parts are unnecessary, the breakdown is generic.

Ireland - Westerman - Promising start, vocals come in and it's a little less so. I like when the beat comes in though. I want it to be more New-Order-y? Like the music is too subdued for the vocals, which are also subdued but would work better over something a little more active.

Flavortown - Tallah - so look, I like metal, this is not the kind of metal I like though. I wish this were slam metal tbh, which I think has some of the same weirdo misogynistic tropes (the title of the album is Matriphagy YEESH) but at least understands what it's there to do. Oh lol the drummer is Mike Portnoy's son?

Drench's House - Måns Zelmerlöw and Petra Mede - This is very funny but it's novelty music

USA - Forests - I often find math rock doesn't really click for me but this manages to, I really enjoy this. It's catchy and fuun and doesn't fall into the trap of "well it's math rock so we can't be TOO catchy" that I do think is a problem sometimes

Denmark - Fort Minor - I won't lie, I wasn't expecting to like this knowing who Fort Minor was but not having really listened but it really was emotionally affecting. Not my favorite style but good stuff.

Vermont - 385 - fun stuff, though I'm not a fan of the breakdown(?)

Transylvania - Magoria - The start is fine symphonic metal, vocals are whatever on the verse. I'd rather listen to Iced Earth - Jack for a metal song about Jack the Ripper

Armenia - Tanita Tikaram - My first thought was "this is nice, kind of 80s-inflected but not too overt about it" and oh it's from the 80s. Pleasant and interesting but not super compelling musically

Iceland - Svalbard - My first thought is "oh, blackgaze? I'm here for it", but it doesn't really pan out as that, though I guess kinda? Vocals are more hardcore influenced, which I mean makes sense, these genres overlap a bit. The tremolo picking is fun, I'd probably enjoy this more without the screamed vocals (or if they were more textural)

Hinamizawa - Built to Fade - It's fine, the drums being so high in the mix is the most interesting thing about it. it ended at a point where I thought we'd revisit the theme more and didn't.

Canada - Poppy - So like I don't really have a problem with Poppy's recent shtick, I'm totally okay with the genre-bending and I like the lyrics and attitude behind them, but the riffs are just SO generic. I liked Concrete better but had pretty much the same issue with it.

Jamaica - Damien Escobar - Definitely enjoyable but something always rubs me a little bit the wrong way with stuff like this, it always seems like it's trying to appeal in this way of "wow, bet you didn't expect THIS combination", like it's simultaneously trying to elevate an electronic/hiphop beat artistically while making violin music more accessible but it seems like it's a little bit condescending in both directions?

The Place Where Vi Hides their 12s - Haruma Miura - It's fine, it's j-pop, it's energetic, it's fun enough

Bolivia - Chromatics - This is definitely a style I love, drench everything in reverb please. I want a bit more energy but it still works

Poland - The Wombats - So here's the thing, this is fine and not bad or anything but like I definitely have a rule where bands shouldn't namedrop bands I would rather listen to than them. I also feel like they kind of don't get or really appreciate Joy Division from the story about this song's origin

Nauru - The Crane Wives - So look, I like the clarinet but this was a big "no thanks" almost immediately. I dunno if the band name is a Decemberists reference or a reference to the thing the Decemberists were referencing but I'd rather listen to The Decemberists.

Anguilla - Boldy James / Sterling Toles - I've never listened to Boldy James before but I'm digging it, his flow is very slurred in a way that could deceive you but his bars are solid, the beat is pretty fun (now that I scroll down I see that it seems to be more played live than sampled, interesting)
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:13 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 59, het wrote:I want to submit but I don't see an NA option in the dropdown.
Dammit I forgot that again :(

Anyway, it's added now, at the bottom of the list.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
SnowStorm
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:43 pm

Post by SnowStorm »

Spoiler: There's a high chance I did not like your entry
Egypt - Pretty and soothing. Talent shows have kinda ruined this genre for me.
Switzerland - Now this is some real discount Linkin Park. I feel nothing.
Ireland - This is pretty nice
Flavortown - Thanks, you just ruined Ireland's mood.
Drench's House - God, no. Someone is going through some serious Eurovision withdrawal...
USA - It was annoying enough before the clapping started.
Denmark - Just some guy narrating a story over a beat.
Germany - I'm guessing the lyrics are really corny.
Gaugamela - This sounds just like the the song that won a couple contests ago. Honestly, I hate this sort of storytelling, straight-out-of-a-musical sounding type of song. (I'm not a fan of musicals...)
Vermont - Eh, ok.
Transylvania - Nope.
Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria - This sounds very Backstreet Boys. LMAO I hate this, but I'm giving it a pass.
Armenia - Nice vocals and a chill beat. In this contest, this is gold.
Iceland - This is some epic screamo. I like how despite all the edges, it's not grating my ears.
Hinamizawa - Ok.
Canada - Ugh. Poppy.
Jamaica - Chill. Kinda disappointed this is just instrumental.
The Place Where Vi Hides Their 12's - I think this K-Pop is broken, there's only one guy in the video, where are the other 10?
Libya - More generic rock.
Norway - OK. Nice voice.
Greece - Ok, some catchy modern pop.
Bolivia - It's ok.
Poland - Ehhhh, no.
Nauru - Meh.
Anguilla - Not feeling it.

Man, I did not enjoy this contest. Half of it were straight nopes and the other half is more listenable music with few standouts.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:18 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Went through my 'listen later' list on Spotify. Got some good songs, but one of them was spectacular, though I think few here would agree with me. Look out for it in SC 160 anyways if my plans hold.
In post 61, SnowStorm wrote:
Spoiler: There's a high chance I did not like your entry
Gaugamela - This sounds just like the the song that won a couple contests ago. Honestly, I hate this sort of storytelling, straight-out-of-a-musical sounding type of song. (I'm not a fan of musicals...)
Unfortunately for me, that song in the past contest got only second place.
Last edited by Scigatt on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 61, SnowStorm wrote:The Place Where Vi Hides Their 12's - I think this K-Pop is broken
smh,
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
SnowStorm
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:59 am

Post by SnowStorm »

In post 62, Scigatt wrote:Unfortunately for me, that song in the past contest got only second place.
:(

In post 63, PJ. wrote: smh,
:?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:26 am

Post by PJ. »

So like...are there people who just don't know what other languages sound like, or what?
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:29 am

Post by Hiraki »

but panzer if the comments are trying to be funny, it clearly is funny, right?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:36 am

Post by PJ. »

See, I'm trying my best to not just assume people are racist, but I'm just left with more questions.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:04 am

Post by Hiraki »

simon cowell funny xD
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:24 am

Post by Vi »

In post 65, PJ. wrote:So like...are there people who just don't know what other languages sound like, or what?
Without speaking for SS, as an outsider I'm currently unable to tell the difference in the spoken language (I have a video of basic Korean phrases playing in the background as I type this and it's hard to find something to latch onto that strikes me as distinct from something I couldn't feasibly hear in Japanese except for an occasional nasal affect that I probably couldn't pick out at full speed and could also confuse as the speaker's accent).

But that's why I made the effort to find something else that could distinguish it - the 三浦春馬 in the title of the video in this case - and made a point of mentioning it in my own response.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:33 am

Post by PJ. »

That's probably fair. Like, I took a few steps back from my comment in that I was seriously pondering the question. I looked up the top 10 languages by spoken population; assuming I would be at least vaguely justified. Wikipedia then reminded me that India has like 4 of the most spoken languages and I'd be telling the world's weirdest lie if I said I could identify differences between Hindi, Bengali, Punjabi, and Merathi. But I do think it is important to either use caution or available context clues before throwing stuff out (which admittedly I'm not the best at but striving to improve at).
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:35 am

Post by PJ. »

Also like...google it? I had to do that before I formed my opinion on one of the songs because I was sure of the ethinicity of the artist.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:12 am

Post by Song Contest »

I just realized I won't be able to get to results until Sunday, so I am
extending deadline by one day! Votes are now due at midnight Pacific Time tomorrow, Saturday, October 10.
SnowStorm
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:50 am

Post by SnowStorm »

In post 65, PJ. wrote:So like...are there people who just don't know what other languages sound like, or what?
Yes, I'd say the majority of people. I know we live in a globalized world, but we're still not at that level.
Panzerjager wrote:Also like...google it? I had to do that before I formed my opinion on one of the songs because I was sure of the ethinicity of the artist.
That is you. The ethnicity or nationality of the artist is irrelevant to me. I'll google if I'm curious or interested in the song. In this case I wasn't.

I get your point, but this is more a question of defining/knowing musical genres than ethnicity or race. This song fit my perceived idea of K-Pop. I got it wrong like I get other genres wrong, or other musical terms even. This is just a casual game to share and be exposed to different music, we would all need a lot more time of googling if we wanted to give strictly educated opinions.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:57 am

Post by PJ. »

Guys.......

I tried.

Return to “General Discussion”