Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4350 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:12 am

Post by Junpei »

In post 4349, Oversoul wrote:Junpei, this is constructive criticism and I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you have to realize sometimes that you are wrong. Your arrogance really does get the better of you. :\

I appreciate the criticism, I do. Most criticism I get is in the form of compliments or personal attacks.

But I actually don't tend to let one view dominate my mind. I always keep an open mind, but I do so behind the scenes. I always act confident in everything I do because I haven't learned how to read people in relation to myself when I don't.

Even so, I'll take more care to be cognizant of my perceptions and my fallibility in the future.
The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA41ggsdeXE
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4351 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:28 pm

Post by Tammy »

In post 4312, Feysal wrote:
By the way, I have a minor confession to make. I criticized Mastin for supposedly suspecting Nacho for not answering when he asked if he was town, but I can similarly pinpoint the moment I decided you were town to a single post. It was , specifically the bit about
swimming
. I don't think that reason would have gone over well so I shut up about it, and even now I don't think I can satisfactorily explain why I got a town read from that, it just felt like something only town would say. After that I never doubted you again. I'm sure I could have come up with better reasons if I'd had to defend you, but that never happened.

It's funny where people get their town reads sometimes. You were my second strongest town read day one, just behind MoI, and after they died you were the strongest even though you weren't in the picture that often. Any doubts I had about you throughout the game were paranoia based and your lack of presence based. But you always made so much sense that I was able to get rid of my paranoia when it creeped up. And you being so sure on Mastin was such a great help because you verbalized the things that had bothered me about the play as well, so it helped me be more confident in the decision so much that I think even if CG wouldn't have let us have that lynch and I would have gotten stuck in LyLo, it's still the choice I would have made.

Mastin - Thank you for the things you said in your qt. I don't know how talented I actually am, but thank you for saying it :) Looking over the play through the course of the day would have and did resonate with me. Funny for you to plan to invoke NY146. It was just on the whole, your play was more suspicious than Nacho's. It didn't help that ML's posts pointed to you through relational tells, or CoolDog's. The evidence was just pointing to you more strongly than it pointed to Nacho. Some of your answers to the questions I asked didn't help either, especially the ML one that you admitted was complete bullshit.

I don't know what the big deal is with him not having checked to see who his partners are, so I'm not following Tierce's train of thought. No scum is required to put out relational tells, and any decent scum player knows how to not do it as well as put fake ones out there to throw off town. Are you suggesting that scum has to make those tells so that town can go catch them. That's stupid. Like dumb. I once replaced into a game, read the game before I read my role pm, starting writing up my introduction and first set of reads and realized before I hit submit that I didn't even know what my alignment was. I turned out to be scum, and I submitted my reads as they were anyway. In that same game, I completely forgot I was scum one day and started arguing with one of my partners over whether or not someone was guilty. He wanted him lynched, and I told him why he was insane. A few days later when I went to the scum qt, he had left a message for me to keep on arguing with him like that because it looked so genuine that neither of us would likely get caught if the other one was. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was genuine because I forgot my alignment. *idiot* Too bad that game was eaten by the crash :(

If someone feels more comfortable by not knowing their scum partners or their alignment right away, then meh...I don't see the big deal. It can hurt just as much as it can help. Where I play, there is a person who routinely doesn't check his role pm until mid day one. The last time we played when he was scum, he dropped a possible relational tell simply because he didn't know his alignment so he didn't realize that he needed to be careful. We were having fun and decided to speedlynch someone early day one. We weren't really going to do it, but a bunch of us piled on calling for a speedlynch. It happened to be on scum, and when he came in he decided to join the "speedlynch" dropping the fifth or sixth vote on his partner because he was unaware of his alignment and who his partner was. He ended up getting modkilled later that game, but in the after game discussion it was brought up that his dropping his vote like that, because of how things happened in the game, would have pointed to him being a likely partner and would have gotten him caught.

Now tactical replace outs...not cool.

Do we get to see the dead QT at some point? And how do you read those night actions; it just looks like a list of names.
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4352 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Post by Junpei »

Yeah.. I agree Tammy; it's easy not to commit relational scum tells. It's also easy not to commit scum tells I mean gosh we know them all so heck don't read your role PM it doesn't make a difference, what town needs scum to know that they are scum lol.

Informed minority is overrated, this is mafia not chess lol.

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #4353 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 4343, Tierce wrote:I've seen players who try to forget they are even scum (see callforjudgement).

Try? Sometimes I actually manage it. (It's not a case of not reading the role PM, but a case of neglecting its contents.) More commonly, I remember I'm scum but forget who my scumbuddies are, which comes to much the same thing in practice.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4354 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Post by Faraday »

'Forgetting your buddies' is just a sub par strategy, don't see why you'd ever need to/want to do that if you had any confidence in your scum game. Not sure why Mastin would try not check his buddies, this game, either.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4355 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 4351, Tammy wrote:If someone feels more comfortable by not knowing their scum partners or their alignment right away, then meh...I don't see the big deal. It can hurt just as much as it can help. Where I play, there is a person who routinely doesn't check his role pm until mid day one

(It means you're not playing the game as you can't drop scumtells. This makes the game irrelevant and pointless. )
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #4356 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 4354, Faraday wrote:'Forgetting your buddies' is just a sub par strategy, don't see why you'd ever need to/want to do that if you had any confidence in your scum game. Not sure why Mastin would try not check his buddies, this game, either.

It helps avoid either you or they getting caught out on associative tells, and also helps you bus them naturally and at the right moment. The main disadvantage is that it leaves you rather vulnerable to PoE.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4357 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Post by Tammy »

In post 4355, Faraday wrote:
In post 4351, Tammy wrote:If someone feels more comfortable by not knowing their scum partners or their alignment right away, then meh...I don't see the big deal. It can hurt just as much as it can help. Where I play, there is a person who routinely doesn't check his role pm until mid day one

(It means you're not playing the game as you can't drop scumtells. This makes the game irrelevant and pointless. )

But you can just as easily not drop scumtells even as scum. I'm not saying never check your role pm, but I don't see why it's a big deal not to check it before your first few posts.
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4358 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Post by Junpei »

1) Tammy link me to any game and I'll point out scum tells from every member of the scum team. Scum drop scumtells. Link me to your scum games and I'll do the same.

2) callforjudgement I think that Faraday is saying that it is very amateurish to do what you did and that such a strategy is reserved only for people who have no confidence in their ability.

Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4359 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Post by Junpei »

To be clear: No one is questioning the usefulness of not reading your role PM/not remembering your mafia partners, but people are questioning the ethics of it.

Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4360 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 4357, Tammy wrote:But you can just as easily not drop scumtells even as scum. I'm not saying never check your role pm, but I don't see why it's a big deal not to check it before your first few posts.

Sure, which requires skill. Doing it without reading your role pm...requires nothing. See the difference?
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4361 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Post by Tammy »

Town drop scumtells too though. Scumtells are not reliable indicators of scum.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4362 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 4359, Junpei wrote:To be clear: No one is questioning the usefulness of not reading your role PM/not remembering your mafia partners, but people are questioning the ethics of it.

Yes, it's useful to *you* the individual, I guess. Bad for the game, though. And obviously completely unethical. (the former, can't help people 'forgetting', but I question if that's actually possible if you put any thought into the game)
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4363 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Post by Tammy »

In post 4360, Faraday wrote:
In post 4357, Tammy wrote:But you can just as easily not drop scumtells even as scum. I'm not saying never check your role pm, but I don't see why it's a big deal not to check it before your first few posts.

Sure, which requires skill. Doing it without reading your role pm...requires nothing. See the difference?

I know there's a difference. I just don't see the big deal of your first few posts being without knowledge of alignment.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4364 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 4361, Tammy wrote:Town drop scumtells too though. Scumtells are not reliable indicators of scum.

By very definition, they don't. They drop things we may think are scumtells, so our scumhunting is flawed.

A person who has not read their role pm isn't playing the game - they can't drop scumtells, even if they're scum.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4365 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 4363, Tammy wrote:

I know there's a difference. I just don't see the big deal of your first few posts being without knowledge of alignment.

You don't think going ~2 weeks without knowing your alignment is a bad thing for the game? If everyone did it day 1 would be pointless.

What if someone goes a whole game? What if they're a power role? Why allow it for just one day?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4366 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:51 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 4358, Junpei wrote:2) callforjudgement I think that Faraday is saying that it is very amateurish to do what you did and that such a strategy is reserved only for people who have no confidence in their ability.

Well, it seems like that to me? I mean I am sure it's useful...but on the other hand if you think 'Cool, scum pm' half the fun is trying to play naturally? It just seems tacky and I don't get why anyone who thinks their scum game is good would use it?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4367 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:51 pm

Post by Faraday »

tl;dr not reading your role pm is not playing the game (and this you should be force replaced)
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4368 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:53 pm

Post by Tammy »

In post 4365, Faraday wrote:

You don't think going ~2 weeks without knowing your alignment is a bad thing for the game? If everyone did it day 1 would be pointless.

What if someone goes a whole game? What if they're a power role? Why allow it for just one day?

Uh no that's ridiculous. I'm meaning starting the game off like that; I wouldn't advocate an entire day phase or a game like that, but if someone feels more comfortable not knowing their alignment during RVS or their first few posts, why not? It's not something that I would do, but meh.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4369 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Post by Tammy »

In post 4364, Faraday wrote:
In post 4361, Tammy wrote:Town drop scumtells too though. Scumtells are not reliable indicators of scum.

By very definition, they don't. They drop things we may think are scumtells, so our scumhunting is flawed.

A person who has not read their role pm isn't playing the game - they can't drop scumtells, even if they're scum.

Well sure semantics. Town drop things all the time that people pick up as scumtells. So, even if someone doesn't know they're scum, they're going to do things that others are going to perceive as dropping scumtells.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4370 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Post by Faraday »

It's not really semantics, it's an important difference. The goal is to detect who is scum and town from the bullshit, you can't do that with someone who's not read their pm.

Also why should it be okay for a few posts and not a day, then? Like WOAH WAIT I FELL DOWN MY SLIPPERY SLOPE ARGUMENT but still it makes sense.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #4371 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 4368, Tammy wrote:
In post 4365, Faraday wrote:

Uh no that's ridiculous. I'm meaning starting the game off like that; I wouldn't advocate an entire day phase or a game like that, but if someone feels more comfortable not knowing their alignment during RVS or their first few posts, why not? It's not something that I would do, but meh.

Where do you draw the line? When is it established that you should, by rights and on an ethical level, be aware your alignment?
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #4372 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Post by Tierce »

s/be aware your/be aware
of
your

English is tech.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4373 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Post by Faraday »

woah stop drinking
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4374 (ISO) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Post by Tammy »

I just don't see what it matters if you know what your alignment is during RVS. Some people get extremely nervous no matter what their alignment is entering a game. If it helps them enter more naturally not knowing, meh. Like I said, it's not something I would do - except for the time I almost forgot to read it upon replacing in - but still. If it's anything beyond their entrance into the game or RVS, well that's just dumb for a whole host of reasons.

I'm talking about semantics on the scumtells because town drop "scumtells" all the time and people use them to mislynch people for.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”