[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3700 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:53 am

Post by Nikanor »

Tragedy wrote:What if the SK makes a Mafia goon into his guard?
No.

Then the Mafia is lynched instead and the SK is confirmed scum.
Too bad town has no way of knowing whether lynching the SK will ever actually work.
They'll just have to lynch him every day and hope he hits a non-vt one time.
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3701 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:20 am

Post by drmyshottyizsik »

WAIT!
Town Role Blocker!
#freeShotty
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3702 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:21 am

Also there is a vig who can vig the 3rd party...
#freeShotty
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3703 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:21 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

But not if the SK is Guarded...
To be clear: quack
wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3704 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:32 am

Post by wierdalexv »

10/13 chance of getting a guard VS. 1/13 chance blocking him, and vig only kills a town guard if he shoots the SK.
The problem is, unless he doesn't get a guard (3/13 chance), the town has to either Lynch + Vig (and that requires the SK to not get a guard again, 3/26 chance that he misses both), RB + Lynch, Vig + Lynch, RB + Vig, Lynch + Lynch, Vig + Vig, or some combination of them that I forgot to mention.

There's a 3/26 chance
at best
ever day/night cycle to kill him. Probably not going to happen.
I'm back, sort of. Not a lot of free time to play, but I'm planning to be modding some mish mash and stuff this winter.

Eragon Mafia, a 17-Player Large Theme, will be coming to the large theme queue soon(ish) if all goes well. If you're interested, PM me to pre-in.
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3705 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:35 am

SleepyKrew wrote:But not if the SK is Guarded...

he's only guarded during the day
#freeShotty
wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3706 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:54 am

Post by wierdalexv »

Oh.

Reeeeeeeeeecalculating.

4/13 chance of getting him killed, basically a 3/13 chance of him not getting a guard minus 3/26 chance of RB + Lycnh, adding in a 1/13 chance of getting vigged.

That's 9/13 chance. It should be closer to 6-7/13.
I'm back, sort of. Not a lot of free time to play, but I'm planning to be modding some mish mash and stuff this winter.

Eragon Mafia, a 17-Player Large Theme, will be coming to the large theme queue soon(ish) if all goes well. If you're interested, PM me to pre-in.
wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3707 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:00 am

Post by wierdalexv »

It could be fixed by making the mafia not work as guards.
EDIT: Or you could have the goon kill the SK if the guard if he targets him to make it more risk/reward but less skill.
Last edited by wierdalexv on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3708 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:09 am

Post by wierdalexv »

Also, do people not like the idea behind my setup or is it something wrong with the setup itself?

theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3709 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Post by theplague42 »

wierdalexv wrote:I didn't really check for balance myself, but I estimated that it is, at least somewhat.

x1 Mafia Godfather
x1 Elite Goon
x1 Mafia Goon
x1 Sane Cop
x1 Gunsmith
x1 Miller
x1 Gun Ownner
x6 VTs

Elite Goon is a Godfather for the Gunsmith. Gun Owner is (obviously) a Miller for the Gunsmith. Miller and Gun Owner recieve a VT Role PM, to prevent them from becoming a named townie. Note that Elite Goon
can
kill and that the Gun Owner
can't
Day start.

You mean this one? I'm torn. I like how each town investigative role can detect one scum, but I think that could dilute the concept. Basically, I assume the gag is that each town-cop (gunsmith and cop) each have a miller-type role plus one scum that could be detected. I am a little concerned, however, that the millers may make it scum-sided. I'm not sure. Maybe add a weak town-PR to compensate?
Part of the problem.
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3710 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:15 am

Post by Junpei »

I think the setup is scum sided. You have 1 scum that will never be seen as mafia and guilties for each cop are 50/50 town/mafia. Although I do ask, are millers revealed as millers upon death?

Also I have a setup that I'd like to discuss after this one, I don't know where the queue is to discuss setups.

edit: Also I think that it is okay if it is a little scum sided as you have to account for scumhunting which is a huge variable. It is definitely a pretty good setup though. Has it been discussed if we change the GF into a nilla mafia and have millers die as nilla on death? Or maybe just make GF nilla and not have millers die as nilla mafia on death?
The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA41ggsdeXE
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #3711 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:27 am

Post by Hoopla »

Naive millers are pretty meh. 2 in the same setup with two Godfathers is kind of bad - the odds of failure for each investigation role is too high. And when this is the only power town has, there isn't much going for it. I'd expect scum to win.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3712 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Post by theplague42 »

I really like the concept, but I doubt scumhunting would be able to compensate completely. Maybe change one of the VTs to a medium-strength town-PR?
Part of the problem.
tclawren
tclawren
Goon
tclawren
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3713 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:17 pm

Post by tclawren »

I will say this again.

Naive millers are bad and should not be used. This game isn't really balanced without them. (massclaim) Therefore game should not be run.

Sorry. It's a decent concept. But it's not open material.
Looking for a hydra partner. Must be someone I respect as a player and a person. PM me if you're interested.
Magister Ludi
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3714 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Post by Magister Ludi »

Role- Indignant Cop -each night, investigate one player. If there are other indignant cops in the setup, and they investigate on the same night, all investigations fail.

Night Start
2 Indignant Cop
1 Shot Deathnote Goon (one time, choose a player and a role name that is not vanillia townie. If that player has the chosen rolename, they die)
1 Goon
6 VT

Not sure if its fun or not. meh. could be an open
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3715 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:47 pm

Post by Junpei »

I did some thinking about fools and this is what I came up with, here are my notes on the setup. I posted this is another forum but so slow to respond there~~

edit: fool =jester

1 mafia RB
1 odd day fool
1 even day fool
1 town watcher
1 town cop
however many VTs you think

fools show as guilty on reports
fools can visit 1 person every night but their visit does nothing but show up on watcher reports

I call it Lesson in Fools, but maybe it should be called something clever involving the word motivation, meh I dont' care to think about names

Here's the logic. Cop serves 1 purpose: To clear town. Gulties will only bring up fools/mafia which is good. However clear towns > fool/mafia confirmed. Watcher serves two purposes. To protect cop from death, or to try and catch mafia/fools messing around.

There is a lot of wifom and I don't want to disclose all of it, but fools would have a choice to make. If they get caught roaming around at night on a non-kill, then they might look bad. However remember, that Mafia has a non-killing night action, so dont mistake the fool for the RB!

It's a setup full of scumhunting based on motivation (fools want to be lynched on a certain day, mafia don't want to get lynched, town want to find scum/fools). In this setup, a fool lynch DOES end the game. This adds more tension in deciding who to lynch. I believe this is fair because they are just odd/even night fools and it's hard to put those tells down.

Total reveal on death. So you are told if it is a odd/even night fool etc. Starts on day 1. So, it'd best to have something like 9 people meaning 4 VTs I think. But I could be wrong, I've never modded a game before so I don't really know what makes the most sense (help in this area?). This way there is town motivation to lynch, too big a game leads to not enough motivation, I think.

Oh, and not to mention, beware of the fool-mafia joint!

I think this game has a lot of potential if the idea is fleshed out some more. Anyone have comments on how we can make this setup better?

I've done some thinking and I think that there's a good chance that town would NL anyways in this setup. If this happens I think the setup will be fine. Whether or not town lynches will not be toxic for the setup.

Also thought about the event that watcher or cop die the first night (especially after NL) and I don't think the game will be toxic even then. This isn't PR oriented at all, rather scum oriented. Perhaps knock it up to 6 or even 8 VTs so that town has more MLs, although my reasoning on only 4 was that town don't need MLs, as there are fools, what they need more than that is concentrated amounts of scum to work with. Although due to mafia joints I can see logic against it. But even if there is a joint, that is 2v7, 2v5, 2v3, which means 2 MLs including the reports to hit the 1 scum. Although I recognize that with the two fools that this setup makes it much harder to hit the scum. So maybe 6 VTs so we have 2v9 at maximum implying a joint, 3 MLs would definitely be sufficient I think and 11 players is probably the max, 9 or 11 I think are good numbers. They make town (especially 9) want to lynch day 1 so they don't lose a lynch, but there is plenty of logic for both paths. I know some people don't like having VTs because it's a 'boring' role, but I am of the opinion they are very important roles that help the game. Basically, more VTs = harder to hit scum for town but also = delays joint longer, although with fools that might not be towns' biggest concern. 4 is my ideal amount of VTs given the theorycrafting I've done, but I am listening to all comments.
Last edited by Junpei on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #3716 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Post by Empking »

I don't think the site likes Jester games.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3717 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:58 pm

Post by Junpei »

Empking wrote:I don't think the site likes Jester games.

Yes but listen can't you guys stop saying "I don't like Jesters" and start saying "I'll try to learn to beat/play with Jesters?". I think my setup is a great way to incorporate Jesters into an enjoyable mafia game. I see that you are good at fleshing out ideas so please give me more comments than "NOPE JESTER GAME NOPE".

Magister Ludi
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3718 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:00 pm

Post by Magister Ludi »

The problem is there is only one mafia member, and two jesters. Jesters are as bad as advertised.
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3719 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Post by Junpei »

Magister Ludi wrote:The problem is there is only one mafia member, and two jesters. Jesters are as bad as advertised.

Explain~~

Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #3720 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Post by Hoopla »

It's not mafia.
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3721 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Post by Junpei »

Hoopla wrote:It's not mafia.

Are you saying it isn't mafia because the minority isn't informed? I see your reasoning there but this is still a great game to play... You could say that the minority isn't informed in closed setups too though because they aren't informed on a lot of things including third party.

Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #3722 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Post by Empking »

Oh yeah, one Mafioso is Not Mafia. Add an extra Mafioso and turn the Cop into a Vig (you need a way to get rid of the jesters).
Then cause the Jesters to be on a team with a roleblock.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3723 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

icwutudidthar
To be clear: quack
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3724 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Post by Vi »

*One Mafioso in a nine-player game
*with Jesters
*and a Watcher
*and a Cop

Your lone Mafioso pleads with you not to let this happen.

You could say that the minority isn't informed in closed setups too though because they aren't informed on a lot of things including third party.
"Informed" means they know who else is on their team.

One scum is not a team (going for all three of your scum teams), so it's a strained definition of "Mafia" at best.

Empking's answer is awesome on three different levels, although did anyone like Paris Mafia in practice?
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”