Goon
Coral
She/her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:23 pm

Post by Coral »

In post 23, Isis wrote:Coral should just solve the strat and then we should play mafia
I don't think I'm the best setup-strat-solver here. Maybe not even in the top half :shifty:

I'm happy to get discussion going, though
Faker
Faker
Mafia Scum
Faker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:24 pm

Post by Faker »

Anyway, howdy everyone! I've just finished my finals season for the semester, so I'm pretty tired. TBD if I go out or hang out here or nap.

I've chewed on where to go for a bit, but tried to avoid thinking about it too much. I'm super excited to play with everyone, but I'm going to try to maintain a nice balance between tryhard and lighthearted fun. I mentioned to a few people before the game that this table will be either very fun or very "9 friends go to an abandoned cabin in a horror movie as mutual tensions grow" vibe, and I'd like to avoid the latter.

I'm pretty indifferent at the end of the day. I think Gate would be pretty fun to run-back, and puts scum in between a rock and a hard place. I think Wall would be a bad fit but I'd get to play longer. I think Keep is really suited to my playstyle, but I want to hang around and enjoy the game for awhile and that tends to resolve early. It's a good place to quarantine me, but I'm also hoping that enough people have strong scumgames here that I get to go elsewhere.

I generally oppose Coral's suggestion and am curious to hear more of the reasoning behind it.
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: it/its

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:24 pm

Post by Chara »

In post 23, Isis wrote:I think chemistry between people will matter more for games than like "put a consensus townread in game x" because townreads can be wrong if you get them all right you win anyway. Maybe picking scummy players for certain games kind of like gerrymanders your EV though? Maybe that's more impactful.

It seems like a nontrivial setup, brainwrinkler. Which can make me worried about dayplay health.

Coral should just solve the strat and then we should play mafia
the second sentence here makes no sense to me but it does sound very intelligent.

but i think i agree on the point that the important thing is finding scum and finding town and the rest will fall where it falls.
"Sibling," Farkran asked, starting slowly.
"The CORE is full of lasers, and Chemist1422's entire existence depends on her eye. If she looks into a laser, she will almost certainly die. Did you think about that?"
"Oh yes, my brother. I love thinking about that."
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:25 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 16, demona wrote:
In post 13, Coral wrote:
In post 12, demona wrote:do you think

there is great value

in turning the wall into a second gate?
What do you mean by that? put a top consensus townread there?

i feel like

the benefit to me locking in keep would be to force the mafia to move me or concede the keep

whereas the main benefit to me locking in the wall would be turning the wall into a second gate

so i was wondering if you thought there was great value in that since it seems you've been thinking about the setup et cetera
I was typing out an answer to this when I realized I don't actually need to give scum advice on how to play. If you think you'll be able to be reliably read as town and are comfortable with hammering, go for it.

I'm personally aiming to not stress especially hard over this game and am likely to make a choice based on entertainment value. We'll see how long that lasts.
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:25 pm

Post by Chara »

In post 22, demona wrote:
In post 21, Chara wrote:pedit: hi demona, what do you mean by 'the benefit to me locking in keep would be to force the mafia to move me or concede the keep'. do you mean you personally can hold the Keep (ie get yourself as a locktown read/find town) or something else?
hi chara!

yeah most of playerlist familiar with me so yeah don't need to find town at the keep if the town finds me
i don't know you, i think. do you have a habit of obvtowning as town?

*nostalgic, troubled sigh* i used to...
"The CORE is full of lasers, and Chemist1422's entire existence depends on her eye. If she looks into a laser, she will almost certainly die. Did you think about that?"
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:25 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 26, Faker wrote:Anyway, howdy everyone! I've just finished my finals season for the semester, so I'm pretty tired. TBD if I go out or hang out here or nap.

I've chewed on where to go for a bit, but tried to avoid thinking about it too much. I'm super excited to play with everyone, but I'm going to try to maintain a nice balance between tryhard and lighthearted fun. I mentioned to a few people before the game that this table will be either very fun or very "9 friends go to an abandoned cabin in a horror movie as mutual tensions grow" vibe, and I'd like to avoid the latter.

I'm pretty indifferent at the end of the day. I think Gate would be pretty fun to run-back, and puts scum in between a rock and a hard place. I think Wall would be a bad fit but I'd get to play longer. I think Keep is really suited to my playstyle, but I want to hang around and enjoy the game for awhile and that tends to resolve early. It's a good place to quarantine me, but I'm also hoping that enough people have strong scumgames here that I get to go elsewhere.

I generally oppose Coral's suggestion and am curious to hear more of the reasoning behind it.
go to the wall with me or ur a coward
Faker
Faker
Mafia Scum
Faker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:26 pm

Post by Faker »

In post 8, Coral wrote:2) On day 2, I think it also benefits scum a lot if there is an open consensus about the order of resolving the locations. It allows them to plan ahead, plant associatives, and be prepared for what's coming. I suggest being flexible.
This part. I strongly believe that more information/transparency is better for town in virtually every scenario. I don't think of scum planning, planting associatives, etc being bad things. Defense predicated on obscurity really defeats the entire point of mafia.
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:27 pm

Post by absinthe »

I'm not familiar with you, Demona.

I wanted to go to the keep last time for similar reasons, I tend to townhunt/POE most games. And I felt pretty confident I could obvtown even as an unknown alt.

I blew the unknown part with my second post. Still managed to obvtown, not that it mattered.
Coral
Coral
She/her
Goon
Coral
She/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:27 pm

Post by Coral »

In post 26, Faker wrote:I'm pretty indifferent at the end of the day. I think Gate would be pretty fun to run-back, and puts scum in between a rock and a hard place. I think Wall would be a bad fit but I'd get to play longer. I think Keep is really suited to my playstyle, but I want to hang around and enjoy the game for awhile and that tends to resolve early. It's a good place to quarantine me, but I'm also hoping that enough people have strong scumgames here that I get to go elsewhere.

I had the same thought pregame that probably quarantining you to the one you are likely enjoy least is not as necessary in this run as the previous one.

Which suggestion do you disagree with? The flexible solve order, or the closely examining early decisioners?
demona
demona
it she idk
Goon
demona
it she idk
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: it she idk

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:27 pm

Post by demona »

In post 24, Coral wrote:It seems like there's an implied assumption here that you are or will be obvtown, is that what you're saying? What makes you special in that regard over anyone else, I guess is what I'm asking.
i don't think it makes me special or anything but past history

like i've never been eliminated as town in a traditional elimination (closest were the 4/4 split in slaughter hour and the werewolf majority game) or shot by a vigilante or anything

so regardless of my capabilities or lack there of of actually finding other towns/mafias

like i get that there is and should be an expectation for me to do so and i will do my best to do so

but that's probably not my greatest strength whereas the keep probably would be best application of my skillset

though if someone familiar with me disagrees i'd be interested in thoughts and such
his unkindness may defeat my life but never taint my love

even shadows must be true to their shade
Faker
Faker
Mafia Scum
Faker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:27 pm

Post by Faker »

This is way too fast for my brain atm LMAO

I know you're mostly joking but any game with me/you/skitter would be the biggest shitshow, but ~we'll see~
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:27 pm

Post by Isis »

In post 27, Chara wrote:
In post 23, Isis wrote:I think chemistry between people will matter more for games than like "put a consensus townread in game x" because townreads can be wrong if you get them all right you win anyway. Maybe picking scummy players for certain games kind of like gerrymanders your EV though? Maybe that's more impactful.

It seems like a nontrivial setup, brainwrinkler. Which can make me worried about dayplay health.

the second sentence here makes no sense to me but it does sound very intelligent.

but i think i agree on the point that the important thing is finding scum and finding town and the rest will fall where it falls.
It's not a fully fleshed out idea but my brain was saying like, if you make all 3 games barely successfully sortable then your EV is high, if you pick that out by hedging the difficult players with easy games and easy players with hard games
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:28 pm

Post by Isis »

As I say that it sounds like one of the nine zillion things that is actually+EV but consistently damages town dayplay then winrate more than it helps if it goes into everyone's headspace
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:29 pm

Post by absinthe »

In post 36, Isis wrote:
In post 27, Chara wrote:

It's not a fully fleshed out idea but my brain was saying like, if you make all 3 games barely successfully sortable then your EV is high, if you pick that out by hedging the difficult players with easy games and easy players with hard games
Who's difficult and who's easy to you?
Faker
Faker
Mafia Scum
Faker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:29 pm

Post by Faker »

I actually really like the mechanics of Keep, I fuckin' love townfinding games and tend to hate three way elo/1v1 grinders. Gate is more for the chance of the clear and I don't tend to lose 1v1s in any world
demona
demona
it she idk
Goon
demona
it she idk
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: it she idk

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:29 pm

Post by demona »

In post 29, Chara wrote:
In post 22, demona wrote:
In post 21, Chara wrote:pedit: hi demona, what do you mean by 'the benefit to me locking in keep would be to force the mafia to move me or concede the keep'. do you mean you personally can hold the Keep (ie get yourself as a locktown read/find town) or something else?
hi chara!

yeah most of playerlist familiar with me so yeah don't need to find town at the keep if the town finds me
i don't know you, i think. do you have a habit of obvtowning as town?

*nostalgic, troubled sigh* i used to...
we most recently encountered eachother when i was backup moderating the silent star you were mafia in, and before that the binding of isaac game you moderated
his unkindness may defeat my life but never taint my love

even shadows must be true to their shade
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:30 pm

Post by Chara »

i agree with the faker, catching scum flailing in surprise can happen but i don't feel one can plan for it.

my eyes keep reading your icon as a delicious cookie. :<
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:31 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 35, Faker wrote:This is way too fast for my brain atm LMAO

I know you're mostly joking but any game with me/you/skitter would be the biggest shitshow, but ~we'll see~
either you're scum and get your shot to humiliate me or we have a nightmare 3p that will ruin us both emotionally this sounds ideal to me
Coral
Coral
She/her
Goon
Coral
She/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:33 pm

Post by Coral »

In post 31, Faker wrote:
In post 8, Coral wrote:2) On day 2, I think it also benefits scum a lot if there is an open consensus about the order of resolving the locations. It allows them to plan ahead, plant associatives, and be prepared for what's coming. I suggest being flexible.
This part. I strongly believe that more information/transparency is better for town in virtually every scenario. I don't think of scum planning, planting associatives, etc being bad things. Defense predicated on obscurity really defeats the entire point of mafia.
That's a reasonable (and unsurprising!) take. My belief from previous runs is that scum struggled the most when town did unexpected things in the midgame. I think a rigid solve order does put all of the pieces on the table, which allows for the more chess-like analysis of how things develop, and that's valid.

I think the reason I lean towards wanting to inject some areas of unpredictability here is that we really only have very few points of information gain compared to a standard game. The depth is very shallow, there's very few points where a flip or new piece of mechanical info will allow people to step back and reassess. There's a limited number of moves to be made in the game. I think if scum know what IC especially is thinking and where they want to go, it makes things fairly easy for them.

I'm open to disagreement, as I said, but that's my reasoning at least.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:33 pm

Post by catboi »

someone came out of retirement only to roll scum in this game, what a hilariously cruel fate
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:34 pm

Post by absinthe »

In post 42, catboi wrote:

either you're scum and get your shot to humiliate me or we have a nightmare 3p that will ruin us both emotionally this sounds ideal to me
You say this like it's a good thing!
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:34 pm

Post by Chara »

In post 44, catboi wrote:someone came out of retirement only to roll scum in this game, what a hilariously cruel fate
how many players here came out of retirement for this game? i know i did, iirc Tammy as well?
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:35 pm

Post by absinthe »

In post 46, Chara wrote:
In post 44, catboi wrote:someone came out of retirement only to roll scum in this game, what a hilariously cruel fate
how many players here came out of retirement for this game? i know i did, iirc Tammy as well?
Me-ish

Prism is very persuasive.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:36 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 45, absinthe wrote:
In post 42, catboi wrote:

You say this like it's a good thing!
for faker yeah

I just find the prospect amusing
Faker
Faker
Mafia Scum
Faker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:36 pm

Post by Faker »

I don't think it's a good idea to put us in a game together cat. I know you know but I don't really want to shit talk atm sorry.

Return to “Completed Open Games”