Mini 1555 Board Game UPick Mafia--Game Over!

Quill
Quill
Goon
Quill
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1725 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:10 am

Post by Quill »

Damn, I was really hoping not to come back to this when I didn't have a chance to post last night, haha.

Basically, this game was awesome, and I was super glad I got a chance to make it all the way to the end, even if I couldn't pull out the win at the end (and skimmed the last couple days way too much, as some of y'all caught me on). My plan for today was definitely to get Spyrex nailed up to the wall, assuming that he would voyeur me overnight and see me target Kdub with the kill so I had an excuse to OMGUS him right out of the gate. I completely forgot that I had given Porkens the ability to watch people though, on account of the skimming mentioned. I'd definitely have killed him instead of Kdub if I'd thought about that harder, since I was already thinking about doing it to fuck with town's brain. That was the reason I killed Hadrian too, in addition to wanting to make sure they didn't come after me the next day.

Honestly, the thing that most surprised me about this game was the fact that Morph rolled over and let us kill them on Day 5, and that the rest of you went along with that. I was on pins and needles that whole day waiting for someone to stop the whole proceedings and make us actually consider other options for Awesome's partner, including me. But in the long run, you guys had PoE on your side, so it didn't really make that much difference.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1726 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:26 am

Post by Porkens »

Hah, we all assume the worst!

I was sure that you would kill either me or SpyreX last night and help kdub lynch the other. But in that case, it didn't matter who I watched, so I had to watch Kdub just in case the maf left us both alive. I'm very very glad I knew at daystart who was scum, otherwise I think that could have gone very differently.

I'm also glad that misreading my night 1 result didn't ruin the game. If scum had killed me night 2, Awesome would have had a blank check to claim whatever he wanted.

This game spanned a time when life was playing with my emotions and attentions pretty vigerously. Finishing it up is pretty cathartic. I really enjoyed the setup and modding.
Quill
Quill
Goon
Quill
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1727 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:32 am

Post by Quill »

awesomeusername
04-10-2014
08:32 PM ET (US)
I'm hoping Quill kills Hadrian tonight.
I'm super amused to see that Awesome and I were able to commune through the grave, even without our Ouija board still in play. :P

EBWOP: @Porkens: I'm not sure if we ever discussed this in the Mafia QT, but at least from my POV I wanted you around as long as possible. With you being super-buddies with Awesome early on and generally being okay with the rest of us, I figured we could keep you accidentally allied with us for a while. I guess it's fitting you were there to take me out in the end.
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1728 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:03 am

Post by Lucky2u »

I never caught the irony of Porkens being the reason scum lost when he totally allied with them early on.
The bunny knight reigns supreme!
Get to know me! Here! and now Here too!
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1729 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:10 am

Post by Porkens »

We just lynch charter members last, like I said :D (kidding, please lower your tomatoes and eggs)
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1730 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:19 am

Post by Lucky2u »

Curious question to the players. Did you pick your board games because you thought they would be powerful roles or because you like playing them IRL? Personally my favorite game chosen (that wasn't the mod's flavor game "Settlers of Catan") was Heroscape. That was a throw back and I think we gave it a unique mechanic.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1731 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:27 am

Post by morph the cat »

We mostly picked our game because of the name.
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1732 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:44 am

Post by Lucky2u »

I really... can't even... imagine... why....

I mean, Morph the cat picking Morph it? I just don't see the connection...
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #1733 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:47 am

Post by Cabd »

My other choice was an obscure lego game (that probably would have gotten us an inventor role) soooo
Currently in COVID hell, population: Entire Household
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #1734 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:49 am

Post by Cabd »

In post 1725, Quill wrote:Honestly, the thing that most surprised me about this game was the fact that Morph rolled over and let us kill them on Day 5
Had we lynched wrong day 5, the game was assured to be a town loss, as we'd be the obv lynch in LYLO.

Sometimes you have to understand that a game's PRs can bring a game into POE; and accept that as a corpse you give more information to town than while alive.
Currently in COVID hell, population: Entire Household
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1735 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:55 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 1734, Cabd wrote:
In post 1725, Quill wrote:Honestly, the thing that most surprised me about this game was the fact that Morph rolled over and let us kill them on Day 5
Had we lynched wrong day 5, the game was assured to be a town loss, as we'd be the obv lynch in LYLO.

Sometimes you have to understand that a game's PRs can bring a game into POE; and accept that as a corpse you give more information to town than while alive.
This. Also, if nobody was going to bother to look back at scum interactions but us, then point-by-point analysis of why we were absurd picks for scum with awesomeusername was going to fall on deaf ears.

Our best use of our time, given we had zero credibility with other town was to do what we could to make the next day better for town.

And, there was a chance, though small, that
somebody
would have noticed that our approach to day 5 was town as fuck, if you'll pardon the expression. As scum, the approach we took was utterly stupid. If we weren't going to fight
our
lynch, why would we bother to put all that analysis into a game we were content to lose?
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1736 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Post by Porkens »

That's admirable.

I love Dungeon! a lot. I didn't really think much about what roles it might inspire. I was very happy with role thief (which fits right in with the flavor).

First Choice: Dungeon!
Spoiler:

Second Choice: Fireball Island
Spoiler:

Third Choice: Don't Break the Ice
Spoiler:
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1737 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Post by Tammy »

yayayay

good job town!

We chose all Roman themed games to go with our Imperial name. I've never played any of the games we chose, I don't think. I don't even know the other picks Pless put in.

I agree that Morph's day 5 play was town as fuck. I'm sorry I got so frustrated on day four, but I knew I was town and I had really serious doubts that awesome and morph made sense as a team so that three person lynch list from my pov was a near guaranteed town loss. I also will never understand why people want to rush it when they think it's in the bad especially when there are people who are willing to reread the game and try to piece stuff together. I've never seen it hurt.

Thank you for running in Penguin and Lucky.

My reads were pretty crappy this game.
Quill
Quill
Goon
Quill
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1738 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Post by Quill »

All of the games I sent in were ones I legitimately like playing – I really didn't even consider what roles could be made out of them. After Scrabble, I sent in Risk and Trivial Pursuit.
Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1739 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:57 am

Post by Kdub »

Thanks for running the game, mods.

I think almost everyone's reads were off this game. Admittedly, I didn't try very hard after D1 since I figured with role madness, this game would be won or lost in the nightgame.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Mafia - 17-player large theme, currently needs (0) replacements
Plessiez
Plessiez
Goon
Plessiez
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1740 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:20 am

Post by Plessiez »

Belated thanks to the mods from me, too.
In post 1715, The Betting Pool wrote::shuffles feet: If anyone is interested to see how this game design evolved, the design/review QT is available upon request.
I'd be interested?
In post 1730, Lucky2u wrote:Curious question to the players. Did you pick your board games because you thought they would be powerful roles or because you like playing them IRL?
As Tammy says, we just picked all Roman-themed games. (I didn't even think about the possible gladiator link, although I suppose in hindsight it's obvious.)

Thinking about it later, I realised that the 'smart' choice might have been to try to pick more popular games first (because if we'd picked, say, chess and scrabble first, and not ended up with either, we'd have known that those role names were both present in the game). That might have been a bit dull even for me though.
In post 1739, Kdub wrote:I think almost everyone's reads were off this game.
The importance of having "good reads" is generally pretty exaggerated, anyway.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1741 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Post by Equinox »

Mine?