Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #1625 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Post by Fate »

Well 8 and 2 games the other total is matches
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1626 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:33 pm

Post by chamber »

All your matches ending in 2 games is very strange.
Taking a break from the site.
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1627 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:37 pm

Post by Nuwen »

Fate placed 3rd and I placed 4th out of 21 people tonigh, and we ripped some major bank open. I played dimir with extort white splash for the Obzebat I opened. Fate opened an Aurelia's fury in his sealed.

Our prize packs contained a shiny glaring spotlight, a b/w shock land, lord of the void, mind grind, and some really quality uncommons like guardian of the gate less and gridlock.
So high, so low, so many things to know.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #1628 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:46 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

Trade Fury now/soon before it drops. Preferably for shocks.

Opened a UB and RW shock, didn't do well in sealed with Simic. Trying again Sunday w/ Orzhov.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1629 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Post by Fate »

In post 1626, chamber wrote:All your matches ending in 2 games is very strange.

eh I only lost 2

im exhausted so I fail mathed

but yeah I lost 2 games

WHAT I LEARNED FOR THOSE WHO HAVENT GONE YET:

Spire Tracer+Madcap Skills+Alpha Authority

Turn 3 unblockable hexproof 4/1

By far the best combo I did tonight

Turn 4:

Bloodrush a slaughter thorn, 7/3, Boros Charm DOUBLE STRIKE 14 damage GG.

Also won a game with Rubblebelt raiders and Aurelia's Fury to swing in for lethal, shit was cash.

Final decklist was:

Spire tracer x3
Madcap Skillsx2
Alpha Authority x1
Rubblehulk x1
Rubblebelt raiders x1
Frontline Medic x1
Aurelia's Fury
Mugging x2
Arrows of Justice x1
Burning-Tree Emissary x3 (easily MVP won me more games than Aurelia's did)
Greenside watcher x1
Boros Guild Gatex 1
Gruul guilg gate x2
Slaughterthorn X2
Zhur-Taa Swine x1
Giant Adephage x1 (won me a single game, never got a copy of it. Boros charmed his rapid hybridzation on it to win the game)
Boros Charm x1 (MVP #2, this card is too fucking good)

cards I didnt play:
Assemble the Legion x1 Meehhhhhhh
Act of treasons
Mark for death (though luzy removal)
Wildwood Rebirth x1 (shoulda side boarded in against the mill decks but beat them anyway)
Gruul Keyrune yeah fuck htis one
Ruiniation Wurm too expensive
Sylvan Primordial didnt need another bomb really
Scrab-Clan Charger too defnsive
Homing Lightning had too much other burn, double red is hard
Gruul Ragebeast more bombs sexy but couldnt do it
Aerial Manuever meh combat trick imo, at least for how situational it is
Ivy Land denizens, wasnt splashing simic
Forced adapation and miming sloime same
Martial Glory, was ok but would be mana screwed too much

K

zz time

interested in everyone elses results/strategies

SMASH SKILL SMASH
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1630 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Post by Fate »

In post 1628, InflatablePie wrote:Trade Fury now/soon before it drops. Preferably for shocks.

Opened a UB and RW shock, didn't do well in sealed with Simic. Trying again Sunday w/ Orzhov.

yeah im definitely telling nuwen this is the way to go

she has a ghost council+fury $50

buy that shit back anytime for <$20

oh I alsio didnt play Crowned ceratok but that shit is crazy
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1631 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:50 pm

Post by Fate »

like I went in wanting to splash simic but then NOPEBOROSWINS

I think #1 and #2 were boros, I lost to #2 2-1 when he stacked a 3/3 who gets +3 when attacking +/3 when defending with madcap skills and murder investigation
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #1632 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

Assemble is great if you can get it to stick, jsyk.

Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #1633 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:24 am

Post by Gammagooey »

THIRD AT PRERELEASE (32 people)

GRUUL SMASH
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #1634 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:48 am

Post by Gammagooey »

didn't splash anything, only match loss was to another gruul deck that got a 5/5 slime+added a counter and killed my pig+used his own pig for bloodrush then brought it back to his hand with something and constantly threatened to win the game with 11 damage if I didn't throw stuff under it game 3, and played an amazing bluff that I fell for game 1 after I mulled to 5 with him at 3 life.

had a pretty damn amazing optimal curve, deck was
1 mana:2 experiment 1s
2 mana:2/1 goblin with 1 mana bloodrush and two signal of the clans to look for other stuff+2 Pits for fighting dudes+madcap skills
3 mana:3/2 bull with 1 mana bloodrush+some thrown in 1/3 evolve dude+slime maker where X is highest power
4 mana:4/4 trample with 2 mana and trample bloodrush+ rubbleback raiders+ +2 5/1s with 3 mana bloodrush+ivy lane denisen i never really used
5 mana:5/4 pig with 3 mana blood rush+4/5 that killed enchantments/artifacts if it was blocked
6 mana:*/* promo where * is number of lands with 3 mana bloodrush+7/6 wurm
8 mana: +9/+9 and trample with 7 mana bloodrush that won me at least 3 games, probably more
+
gruul keyrune+gruul guildgate+9 forests+8 mountains

slime for either 5 off a 5/1 or waiting for a wurm/promo dude was always great, madcap skills on either the 5/1 when they only had one blocker or on an experiment one turn 2 was fantastic, and I just about always had stuff to bloodrush with if I needed, but with so much land I usually just played the creatures except the 9/9 trample bloodrush which I usually used the keyrune to ramp up into.

got 10 packs and generally mediocre rares but a pretty decent amount of gruul stuff+boros stuff for silly commander deck in them so they'll be fun to play with.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1635 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:58 am

Post by Fate »

Gamma when we move up there we have to two headed giant as Gruul TWO HEADS TO CRACK BETER THAN ONE.

Reck you have to splash white for your Mono red deck. Boros charm is just way too fucking good for a two drop, and you lost to a board wipe last time at standard?

Also Legion Loyalist looks p. good, 1 drop with a battalion for First strike and trample for ALL yo creatures

Frontline medic also sexy.

Gamma who got 1st and 2nd in your store?

Also how the hell did you beat Boros with dat curve?
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1636 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:08 am

Post by Fate »

oh and wojek halberderiers 2 drop for first strike battalion 3/2

wdf
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1637 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:05 am

Post by Fate »

ALSO they told me I could Pit Fight+Pay 1 red to activate first strike on my creature and when they "fought" my creature had first strike I didnt die

I think I was cheating because it specifically says "deals damage equal to its power to one another" and nothing about actual fighting
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1638 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:09 am

Post by Staeg »

In post 1637, Fate wrote:ALSO they told me I could Pit Fight+Pay 1 red to activate first strike on my creature and when they "fought" my creature had first strike I didnt die

I think I was cheating because it specifically says "deals damage equal to its power to one another" and nothing about actual fighting

This seems to be opposite of what it says on the card?
sa vrede?
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1639 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:13 am

Post by chamber »

In post 1637, Fate wrote:ALSO they told me I could Pit Fight+Pay 1 red to activate first strike on my creature and when they "fought" my creature had first strike I didnt die

They were wrong about this interaction. They would both deal damage to each other. Fighting doesn't consider keywords, just power. With that said, reminder text (the text in italics and brackets) is not rules text. Although its intended to be intuitive and right in most situations, it does at times cut things out in the name of brevity, so using it as anything but a guide is a bad idea.
Taking a break from the site.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #1640 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:15 am

Post by InflatablePie »

First was Boros, think the rest of top 4 was Gruul. Going Orzhov Sunday.. Went against them 3 times and did pretty bad. Extort hurts.

[edit] also:

Rares: White+Green Primordial, W/R + U/B Shock, Stolen Idenity (clone, Cipher), Biovisionary (control 4+ EOT, win)
Stuff that was great: Frilled Oculus, Spell Rupture, Elusive Krasis, Leyline Phantom, Aetherize, Totally Lost, Simic Charm, Stolen Identity
Stuff that was meh: Ivy Lane Denizen, Shambleshark, Scatter Arc, Burst of Strength
Last edited by InflatablePie on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1641 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:20 am

Post by Fate »

been playing nuwens deck today, Ghost council is pretty bullshit

and shes not even running other extort cards.

Thanks chamber i'll keep that in mind (re: reminder text)
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1642 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:39 am

Post by hasdgfas »

I went to a prerelease, ran a Simic/Gruul combination deck that I liked a lot. I had probably 8 non-games of magic out of the 11 that I played. Went 1-3 because clearly I'm not allowed to actually draw lands. When I did draw lands and creatures and spells, the deck worked well.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #1643 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:33 am

Post by Gammagooey »

In post 1635, Fate wrote:Also how the hell did you beat Boros with dat curve?

only boros i played was actually Reck in the first match, first game I got enough dudes out to have him not just kill me, put madcap skills on my land dude that was either 7/7 or 8/8 and swung with everything, then when he blocked it with two squishy dudes I played the +9/+9 trample bloodrush on it. 16 trampling damage pretty stronk.

second game I had experiment one+madcap skills+1/3 evolve guy+5/1 guy and he scooped on my turn 4 since he didn't draw white mana early enough.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1644 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:15 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Fate duh I'm blending my RDW and White Weenies deck.

I went 2-2-1. Gamma just rolled me game one with LOL +9+9trample blood rush.

I rocked my match against Dimir. I had a guy kick my ass with Orzohov due to motherfucking Ghost Council + Treasury Thrull (seriously ghost council is too good)

The one match I'm mad about is vs Simic, I rolled him game 1 then we had a drawn out game 2, game 3 I had him down to 8 life with me still at 20, he asked how much time was left, I told him 8 minutes, then suddenly his turns started taking FOREEEEEVVVEERRR. We went to turns, and he turn 5d at 2 life left with my next draw being a Foundry Champion
green shirt thursdays
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1645 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:23 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1644, xRECKONERx wrote:Fate duh I'm blending my RDW and White Weenies deck.

I went 2-2-1. Gamma just rolled me game one with LOL +9+9trample blood rush.

I rocked my match against Dimir. I had a guy kick my ass with Orzohov due to motherfucking Ghost Council + Treasury Thrull (seriously ghost council is too good)

The one match I'm mad about is vs Simic, I rolled him game 1 then we had a drawn out game 2, game 3 I had him down to 8 life with me still at 20, he asked how much time was left, I told him 8 minutes, then suddenly his turns started taking FOREEEEEVVVEERRR. We went to turns, and he turn 5d at 2 life left with my next draw being a Foundry Champion

You could have called a judge on him for slow play.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1646 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:59 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I realize that, but like I've said (because these situations seem to ALWAYS happen to me at prereleases), I feel like a massive douche for calling the judge for anything my opponent is doing that I consider "unfair". It just seems so petty, especially at a casual event.

Oh, first impressions of GTC limited:

- Gruul is by far the strongest guild, both creature & mechanic-wise. Bloodrush is just stupidly overpowered and can easily end games on turn four pretty reliably, even in limited. Bloodrushing onto an unblocked creature is devastating, and it also lets you build a deck where one card performs the role of both body & combat trick/pump spell, meaning you can streamline your decks much easier.

- Boros is probably better in draft than it is in sealed, but I do think Battalion leaves much to be desired unless you luck out and get a ton of 3/4 drops with haste on them. Bomber Corps are only good in groups, and then they become deadly. I think RW is probably the best color pair to draft since you can dip into Orzohov's white defenders and Gruul's red bloodrushers, but Boros as a guild is slightly underwhelming in limited.

- Simic is going to be that one guild this time around that needs to be the only dedicated Simic drafter at the table in order to do well. Simic is all about playing a perfect curve with perfect drops to trigger those evolves, so it's not just about getting cards, it's about getting the perfect cards.

- Orzohov leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion... extort as a mechanic doesn't really do much except help speed up board stalls by a tiny bit. I dunno, hitting your perfect mana drops and your curve is difficult enough in limited, but hitting your curve +1 to actually use extort seems to be a reach. I just don't see how a dedicated extort deck can possibly work. I like Orz more as a splash for other things.

- Dimir is only good if you're milling, and if you're milling, you've got to be dedicated mill. So pretty much like mill in any other limited format.
green shirt thursdays
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1647 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:04 am

Post by Fate »

stalling players like that piss me off

This one guy milled me for 4 with two bullshit denizens, I drew the 4 face up and kinda showed them to him, and he thought I was just drawing a bunch of cards and forfeiting

so he scooped, I looked up and was like "Wdf?"

Technically it was win for me, but I said "nah I don't want to win like that its useless and no fun. All I ask is you remember it in the future before you rules lawyer me over something I miss" and sure he enough he was indebted to me.

Having nerds owe you ftw. He went on to win game 2 (so I woulda been 2-0d because the game with his 2 millers out was getting out of hand fast), but then I won two in a row hue.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1648 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:06 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I mean, to be fair, Simic is very combo heavy and does take a while to figure out. It just struck me as odd that he asked how much time was left and then his plays got
very
"complicated". That asshole ended up taking 7th, too... if I had beaten him, I would've played another Dimir matchup (easy roll win for me), then been 3-1 heading into the final round. Probably would've placed 6th/7th.
green shirt thursdays
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1649 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:08 am

Post by Fate »

Orzov with Dimir splash or vice versa is a lot stronger than you give credit Reck. Control+killing you slowly? OH AND THEN HERE COMES PAPA GHOSTIES

Mill+Death's Approach=Tragic mothafucking slip on enchant speed. You don't need to go ALL IN MILL LULZ, mill is fine and there's no scavenge to punish it in this limited format

Consuming Aberration is also a fucking nightmare. This one guy got it out and it was 18/18 before he blocked my 8/8 rubble hulk and I snuck by with a 5/4 and a 7/7. He had 12 life, used rabid bullshitzation on my 7/7 and I said LOLNOPE BOROS CHARMBITCH and ggd him (I wouldve died next turn easy, also had 3 cards in my GY so woulda auto-lossed after I milled the rest of my shit due to Consuming Aberattion's passive)

Return to “The Arcade”