Ultimate Videogame Topic 2: Because 600 pages isn't enough.

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15625 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:05 am

Post by Iecerint »

In post 15621, Umbrage wrote:OK, this Halloween I've resolved to stop being a baby and play some scary games. I'm trying to take advantage of the Steam and GOG sales. So far I've got Amnesia: The Dark Descent and F.E.A.R. 2. Re-installing Dead Space as well. I like the look of Alan Wake, Home, the Alone in the Dark games, Outlast, and Scratches. I want to get into RE or Silent Hill, but have no idea where to begin. And what about some of these indie games? Anna, Lucius, Damned, Deadly Premonition, Dark Fall... anyone play these?

Would like some feedback.
Echo the Dolphin is terrifying.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15626 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Post by Umbrage »

yeah that's some scary shit
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
Rainbowdash
Rainbowdash
Mafia Scum
Rainbowdash
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15627 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:19 pm

Post by Rainbowdash »

In post 15621, Umbrage wrote:OK, this Halloween I've resolved to stop being a baby and play some scary games. I'm trying to take advantage of the Steam and GOG sales. So far I've got Amnesia: The Dark Descent and F.E.A.R. 2. Re-installing Dead Space as well. I like the look of Alan Wake, Home, the Alone in the Dark games, Outlast, and Scratches. I want to get into RE or Silent Hill, but have no idea where to begin. And what about some of these indie games? Anna, Lucius, Damned, Deadly Premonition, Dark Fall... anyone play these?

Would like some feedback.
If you are talking about the 2008 Alone in the Dark, don't play it. Its one of the only games I actually stopped playing because it was so unfun. The controls are bad, the story is bad, the characters are bad, the "horror" is not there, the platforming and driving sections have been done better by any game that has a platformer or driving section (for that matter probably some that DONT have platformer/driving sections)... its just a really really bad game. I actually feel ripped off having paid under $5 for it.

FEAR2 also is just your standard simple shooter you should be able to beat in a weekend on the hardest difficulty. Not "horror" apart from the predictable jump scares, fairly nonsensical in plot, and for some reason gives you next to unlimited bullet-time ability that basically turns a simple shooter into one that you almost feel bad for the computer because almost as unfair as the "Press X to kill anything" mech segments
You don't earn
loyalty
in a day. You earn it day by day
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15628 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Post by Umbrage »

did you play FEAR 1?

OK I think I've narrowed it down:

Alan Wake
Outlast
Home
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Jericho
Deadlight
Doorways
Damned
Paranormal
Scratches

I want to shave at least 10 bucks off that, so I think I'm going to have to drop Damned, Outlast, or Paranormal. Can't decide though. Damned is MP which seems very interesting, but I'm hearing great things about Outlast and I like the idea behind Paranormal, it looks really scary. Grr.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #15629 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:28 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I thought Alan Wake was really clunky, mechanically. I really didn't care for the "Shine your flashlight at things and then shoot them" mechanic. The story was pretty decent, though.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15630 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Post by Umbrage »

meh, Damned and Paranormal both look really unfinished

they can wait

also dropping Deadlight for The Swapper because fuck it that game looks awesome.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15631 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by Umbrage »

Also: The Walking Dead Season 2 is available for pre-order.

Clem is confirmed as the PC.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #15632 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Post by kuribo »

Doom 2 you jerk
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15633 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Post by Natirasha »

Anyone here beat the new Ace Attorney?
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #15634 (ISO) » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Post by IH »

Wait the new ace attorney is out in NA?

Also, the first dead space is SO GOOD. I had no idea. I mean I knew it was good but not THIS good.
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #15635 (ISO) » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:32 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Natirasha wrote:Anyone here beat the new Ace Attorney?
yesyes

final case is awesome as final AA cases tend to be
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15636 (ISO) » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:38 am

Post by bv310 »

In post 15629, Sudo_Nym wrote:I thought Alan Wake was really clunky, mechanically. I really didn't care for the "Shine your flashlight at things and then shoot them" mechanic. The story was pretty decent, though.
Oh good lord yes. Combat in that game felt "old". Story and exploring made up for it though.
In post 15631, Umbrage wrote:Also: The Walking Dead Season 2 is available for pre-order.

Clem is confirmed as the PC.
I'm going to have a hard time with the inevitable death scenes. With Lee, it was one thing, but I'm already emotionally invested in Clementine. :(
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #15637 (ISO) » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:06 am

Post by AurorusVox »

In post 15621, Umbrage wrote:I like the look of Alan Wake, Home, the Alone in the Dark games, Outlast, and Scratches. I want to get into RE or Silent Hill, but have no idea where to begin. And what about some of these indie games? Anna, Lucius, Damned, Deadly Premonition, Dark Fall... anyone play these?
Home is okay but don't believe them when they say you'll play it more than once. When I bought it, you couldn't save and exit so I played it through in one sitting (about 90 mins maybe??). I tried to replay it but felt no drive to do during the first floor at all. There's an interesting spooky atmosphere in the game and it's got an engaging narrative of sorts. And I think it's pretty cheap.

I wouldn't bother with Dark Fall (or at least the third game). It has incredible art direction and the screenshots lured me in last Halloween, but I found the puzzles to be incredible frustrating and hard to follow. Jumping in and out to use a guide repeatedly broke the immersion - and thus the horror - for me.

Resident Evil stopped being "horror" after (with?) RE4. You could try some of the older games if your tolerance for poor controls and blocky graphics is high - they're well worth it IMO. If you have a Wii (or even a GameCube) the Resi remake on there was brilliant, and would be my suggestion for the starting point. I loved Resi 2 but then it was one of the first PSX games I played through properly. Resi 3 was fun as well, and Resi 4 is renowned for being one of the best games in the series (although it took Resi towards its more action orientated gameplay that you see in the games that came afterwards). Allegedly "Resident Evil: Revelations" is a trip back to its horror roots, so could check that one out (I think they're all 66% off somewhere - maybe Steam, iuno)

Ah, now. For the main attraction: Silent Hill.

If you can tolerate PSX graphics, then start with the original Silent Hill, no question about it. Play through all the games in order. I mean, you can stop after "The Room" since they go downhill steadily from that point onwards, but hell, I love the mythos and lap it all up. The only one I haven't touched yet is Downpour. Homecoming (the only PC one on Steam afaik) is not the best place to start in any way, shape or form. Best game in the series is undoubtedly SH2 from the PS2, BUT there are lots of nods back to the first game in both that game and the later ones (SH3 is a sequel to the first, and a good game in its own right). Honestly, SH2 is one of my favourite games of all time, and definitely my favourite horror game without a shadow of a doubt. I still replay the games today, and must have completed the first two a dozen times between them. SH1 is where it all started, great moments, great atmosphere, great NPCs and although the story is a bit wonky it serves its purpose well. SH2 has SUPERB atmosphere, the storyline has incredible depth to it, it's packed with tension, the creatures are largely meaningfully created and look perfect, the NPCs are well developed, the puzzles are brilliant (with different riddle difficulties separate from action difficulty)...just please, play that game. SH3 had improved graphics which made some of the environments look INCREDIBLE, and also I think the best puzzles in the series. SH4 had its own quirks, which sometimes were frustrating but sometimes created huge moments of tension. It featured a unique first person "room" mechanic which was interesting but still probably the weakest of the first four games. There was also Origins, which is a shorter game, had some good moments, fills the story in quite a lot, but was a smaller budget and not as purely horror orientated; Homecoming, which was MUCH more action focused; and Shattered Memories, an interesting reimagining of the first game, which did away with combat entirely IIRC, replacing it with chase sequences which honestly just got on my nerves after a while :\

If you are interested in Silent Hill, you should also totally get Lone Survivor. There's also a demake of SH2 called Soundless Mountain II which is free and worth a look. Also 2D and also free is a game called Ascension which bugged out and broke on me too many times to play through, but you might have better luck. It was pretty damn scary.

Other recommendations include Clive Barker's Undying and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, both on sale at GOG.com at the moment (I think IHNM is also on sale on Steam). Undying is an interesting horror FPS, and IHNM is a very fucked up point n click based on the short story by Harlan Ellison.

Bottom line is play Silent Hill 1-3 at least >_>

EDIT: Get Undying over Jericho. Graphically a lot poorer; mechanically far superior.
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #15638 (ISO) » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:49 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Fatal Frame.
green shirt thursdays
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #15639 (ISO) » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:08 pm

Post by AurorusVox »

:oops: Reck

I've never played Fatal Frame ;_;
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #15640 (ISO) » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:47 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

It will fuck you up.
green shirt thursdays
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #15641 (ISO) » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:17 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 15633, Natirasha wrote:Anyone here beat the new Ace Attorney?
Cleared the first three cases last weekend, so will probably manage to knock it out this weekend. Then we can talk about it.
In post 15634, IH wrote:Wait the new ace attorney is out in NA?
eshop only.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15642 (ISO) » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:20 pm

Post by jmj3000 »

In post 15638, xRECKONERx wrote:Fatal Frame.
I watched my cousin play this a few years ago. It scared nee, and we had a guide.
Looking for experienced designers to help me design
SONY MAFIA
, a sequel to my Nintendo Mafia game!

Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15643 (ISO) » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:42 pm

Post by Quilford »

Playing AA. I gotta say, I'm not fond of some aspects of the new aesthetic. And I don't think first cases were this lame in the previous games. Hopefully it gets better.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #15644 (ISO) » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:50 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 15643, Quilford wrote:And I don't think first cases were this lame in the previous games. Hopefully it gets better.
It's probably recency bias. Almost every first case is really lame EXCEPT for Apollo Justice where it's frikkin amazing.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15645 (ISO) » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:39 am

Post by Quilford »

AJ first case was fantastic yeah.

This one just seemed too exposition heavy and a bit boring character/crime wise.

The second case is shaping up nicely though.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15646 (ISO) » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Post by Parama »

oh damn. I guess I'll have to stop reading this thread because I don't want any spoilers for AA5. you bastards.
I should replay through all the games. well except the first one.
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15647 (ISO) » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Post by Quilford »

haha i forgot how adorbs polly's courtroom sprites are
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15648 (ISO) » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Post by Quilford »

gluh the second case resolved lamely.

third case looks good! please!
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15649 (ISO) » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:37 pm

Post by Quilford »

there's been a distinct lack of MINDFUCKery so far.

Return to “The Arcade”