Newbie 1131 - Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #1225 (ISO) » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:48 pm

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Gut can be a wonderful metric to measure your successes by. I highly recommend it.

forhead7,
Townie
, lynched Day 4

Demyx,
Towniee
, killed in Endgame

hiplop
wins the game for the
Mafia
team!!
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #1226 (ISO) » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Role Reveal:

PlayerReplacedRole
AndroidDreamsJailkeeper
DemyxTownie
WhiskersFool_Hardy, GingyTownie
forehead7Townie
haoala ^Mafia Role Cop
Johhoglegend of mafiaTownie
StefanB ^Townie
TajunTownie
hiplop *VitaminR *Mafia Goon

Night Actions:

Night 1:

AndroidDreams jails Demyx.
haoala kills Demyx and rolecops AndroidDreams.

Night 2:

AndroidDreams jails Tajun.
hiplop kills AndroidDreams.

Night 3:

hiplop kills Tajun.

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #1227 (ISO) » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:56 pm

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Everyone should use this time to post thoughts and observations about the game. Ask questions and try to figure out what went wrong (and right) with your play and how you can learn from it and improve. Be polite in pointing out mistakes made by others! Conversely, if someone points something out, learn from it – don’t get offended!!

forehead7
forehead7
Goon
forehead7
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1228 (ISO) » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Post by forehead7 »

In post 1224, Vel-Rahn Koon wrote:
3 to Lynch.

Wait, what? Is it not two? Or else you may as well call it because Hiplop's never gonna vote himself.
forehead7
forehead7
Goon
forehead7
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1229 (ISO) » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Post by forehead7 »

Disregard that, didn't realise there was another page.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #1230 (ISO) » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Post by hiplop »

heh This game was awesome, had so much fun (imo I played pretty well) I'll post thoughts on everyone a little later (pretty busy atm) but glad to say I won, I got pretty lucky :D
third best scummer of all time
Tajun
Tajun
Goon
Tajun
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1231 (ISO) » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Post by Tajun »

NOOOOOO!!!! LOL aughh!!

That scum QT explains so much, I just couldn't figure out why you (hiplop) would try to kill demyx night 1... it seemed soooo out of character... stefanB tried to warn me... arghhhh...

In post 1214, Johhog wrote:Didn't you get a link to the dead QT Tajun?!

I know if it was a mislynch or not, but would it be poor form to post it before Vel gets here?

No, I didn't... Ah well, as much fun as it would have been to chat with you guys I enjoyed the suspence of not knowing.

Well done hiplop, congrats.
"I see little hope for democracy as an effective form of government, but I admire the poetry of how it makes its victims complicit in their own destruction."
forehead7
forehead7
Goon
forehead7
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1232 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:55 am

Post by forehead7 »

In post 1230, hiplop wrote:heh This game was awesome, had so much fun (imo I played pretty well) I'll post thoughts on everyone a little later (pretty busy atm) but glad to say I won, I got pretty lucky :D

Yeah you did well, really well. Although it became obvious to me that you were the scum I still couldn't dig up enough evidence :mad:

I'm not too pissed that we lost, I had resigned myself to it when we entered the last day. Was a little tighter than I thought though.
Tajun
Tajun
Goon
Tajun
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1233 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:06 pm

Post by Tajun »

You did play very well hiplop, just one minor critique near the end:

In post 1187, hiplop wrote:
In post 1185, Demyx wrote:Trying to get back into the game. I probably should've subbed out when the whole hospital/accident/caretaking thing happened but blaaaaah I hate subbing out :/

In post 1182, hiplop wrote:

But then you lose the cop, you would gain the same info by lynching the guiltied player, so again its not beneficial!

this is correct

Pretty sure EVERYONE had a null-read on haoala. He didn't do all that much to warrant a substancial read.

Not so! I pushed on Haoala just before he was modkilled. Not to toot my own horn or anything, because obviously my other pushes (Stefan yesterday, for example) have not worked out so well.

oh shush you :P

Why are you wanting to end the game quickly,forehead?

If I had been playing and I had seen this, I might very well have insta-hammered you. I wasn't sure afterwards (a few posts later even), but you didn't seem nearly worried enough that Demyx might be scum in this post. I would imagine a town player either throwing down an insta vote back out of rage, or yelling at him to unvote if he wasn't sure.

Otherwise, a very well played game all told, I was never sure about you but you didn't give me reason to lynch. I had fun playing with the lot of you.

Quick question for hiplop: Was there any reason you chose me to get jailkept night 2, or was that just convenience?
"I see little hope for democracy as an effective form of government, but I admire the poetry of how it makes its victims complicit in their own destruction."
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #1234 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Post by hiplop »

because he wanted to jailkeep me, It was easily my biggest mistake of the game; and im glad no one caught on

I was BEGGING for me NOT to be jailkept, and finally i settled on a "scumread" on you, so I was like "hmmm"
Tajun
Tajun
Goon
Tajun
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1235 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:01 pm

Post by Tajun »

Huh, I figured it was just a brilliant move on your part, actually. I was pressing pretty hard for you to be JK'ed, and if he had chosen anyone else I would have kept the pressure up and might have gotten it. I figured that was a surefire way to get myself lynched after he chose me though, so I backed off and let it happen... Ah well.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #1236 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Post by hiplop »

Android dreams: you did good man, a little more experience is all you need, really. Maybe put a little more focus into the game? I'm scrambling to think of things you did wrong, and its hard haha. You played a pretty good game, and with experience you could be really good :)

Demyx - I'm very, very impressed with you. You're probably already better than I am, Not really sure how to criticize you except for trust your gut more, usually "logic" is fake in this game, and you're being manipulated whilst your gut is yelling DONT DO IT, DONT DO IT. Definitely want to play you again ;) Maybe you'll get revenge? :P

Whiskers - hehe, you've improved a lot! And its wonderful to see that kind of stuff, maybe learn to sllow down a bit, and you'll gradually improve even more! Im sure of it! Despite our differences, I do like you and would enjoy future games (:

forehead - So glad I got to be in lylo with you! I was trying to keep you alive all game, but still keeping you oon my scumreads, AND IT WORKED!! Definitely improve your activity, and never give up. At the end you sort of did, and it perhaps gave me the win (obviously not sure because we dont know what was going through demyx head). You honestly played really, really well when you were active! Definitelyyy want to play with you again, you should join one of my games >_>

haoala - SCUMBUDDY4LIFEEE <3 cool guy, wish you could have shared this win, but you can in spirit <3 May i ask what actually got you modkilled? I never actually caught on :P

johhog - one of the people on this site i consider a friend, glad you came in so i could get you lynched right away 9im good at making you look like scum)pretty much you gotta learn some more, but theres definitely potential! maybe slow down with the "Reaction fishes" that you do, they really dont do as much as you think they do!! and they make you look scummy as fuckkkk

Tajun - awesome guy, glad I could tunnel you the entire game <3 you were really, really strong considering its your first game. had a blast! Had me scared for my life at some points, too! Not any cons, really.

StefanB - pretty cool guy, and a decent player. Obviously the language gap caused a little confusion, but overall i loved playin with you. Improve case-building perhaps?

<3'd this game!! thanks for being so awesome everyone
haoala
haoala
Goon
haoala
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1237 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Post by haoala »

hiplop and Demyx played excellently. The rest of you were good players as well.

I got modkilled for pure stupidity. It's explained in the dead QT. Sorry guys, wish I could have played more with you.
Tajun
Tajun
Goon
Tajun
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1238 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Post by Tajun »

Yeah, that was a shame, would have enjoyed playing against you too. I must say, I'm loving the new avatar.
haoala
haoala
Goon
haoala
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1239 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:18 pm

Post by haoala »

Haha, thank you. It's flavour for a game I'm currently in.
Demyx
Demyx
Goon
Demyx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1240 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:48 am

Post by Demyx »

In post 1234, hiplop wrote:because he wanted to jailkeep me, It was easily my biggest mistake of the game; and im glad no one caught on

I was BEGGING for me NOT to be jailkept, and finally i settled on a "scumread" on you, so I was like "hmmm"

Man, I really should've caught onto this! Hindsight's always 20/20, as they say :)

In post 1236, hiplop wrote:

Demyx - I'm very, very impressed with you. You're probably already better than I am,

Thanks for the praise, but haha, no way is this true! Especially in scum play -- you played very well as scum. I had some vague suspicions but never enough to feel comfortable pressing on it too much, and you did a good job deflecting.

Not really sure how to criticize you except for trust your gut more, usually "logic" is fake in this game, and you're being manipulated whilst your gut is yelling DONT DO IT, DONT DO IT. Definitely want to play you again ;) Maybe you'll get revenge? :P

I have to say I've had some bad experiences following my gut as well, so it can go either way! One particular instance that sticks out in my mind was where the mafia claimed seer, we got a CC, it came down to me as the deciding vote -- and it ended poorly :/

Whiskers, sorry for being on your case so much this game, and thanks for being patient with my criticism of your play! I really think it would be good for you to stop beating yourself up so much and constantly expecting to get lynched, because you're not so bad!

Johhog -- We clashed pretty hard, hope there's no hard feelings :)

Tajun -- You rocked this game, well done. Your analysis after you became a confirmed townie was very valuable.

Stefan -- Hope I didn't frustrate you too much :)
Johhog
Johhog
Mafia Scum
Johhog
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1241 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:00 am

Post by Johhog »

In post 1236, hiplop wrote:johhog - one of the people on this site i consider a friend, glad you came in so i could get you lynched right away 9im good at making you look like scum)pretty much you gotta learn some more, but theres definitely potential! maybe slow down with the "Reaction fishes" that you do, they really dont do as much as you think they do!! and they make you look scummy as fuckkkk

Well, I was horrible in this game. I tend to change my playing style from game to game, but this playing style, heavy on gut, emotional, impulsive, isn't working that good. I got lynched on Day 1 thrice playing like this (one of the others, Newbie 1145, was coincidentally with you in the game too, the other game is still ongoing) and I'm now switching back to my original calm play that I used with success in Newbie 1112.

You did well btw, I never really suspected you apart for some hour surrounding my lynch.
In post 1240, Demyx wrote:Johhog -- We clashed pretty hard, hope there's no hard feelings :)

Not at all, and you did good in this game. I definitely hope to play with you in a game with my "other" play style.

Forehead: Will you play another game on this site? I promise you that it's not normal for games of this size to take this long time, if you look at the forum this was pretty much the oldest one in play and some games who started at the same time as this one ended two months ago.

I'm btw glad (and also somewhat amazed) that my townread on Forehead always was strong and that it was correct, I suck at reads most of the time. This was a nice BS2000-case of a townread though (hiplop probably know what I mean).
"Það únga rósarblað vornæturinnar góðu hafði hann selt fyrir korpnaðar skinnbækur. Það var hans líf."
-Hið ljósa man, Halldór Kiljan Laxness
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1242 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:08 am

Post by StefanB »

Congratulation Hiplop, that was the first game I thought you were town, where I was with you. And you were scum!!!
I wouldn't say that Forehead was most at fault for the loss, that honor goes to Hiplops play. And I am much to blaim, I tunnel way to much on Forehead, and I don't know if I would have managed to make a convincing case on him, at the last day. And sorry for the less contrubation on day 3, I was really without internet this time.
Demyx waiting that long was mean. Gut is to be said, to be very helpful in lylo. (Sorry was never in lylo as town)
Thanks all for a good game.
Previewedit: Yeah to Whiskers, if you stop believing (and saying) your lynch is a good one, you probably will be lynched less. Try to have your own opinion more often (You were on every L-1 wagon)
Demyx: You frustrated me in the end, when does that game end... That was so long!! Exspecially knowing that Hiplop was scum.
(And there were some little thinks that should have made us all go huh??? How strong was for example for townread on me day 3 Hiplop it was very flexible)
forehead7
forehead7
Goon
forehead7
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1243 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:30 am

Post by forehead7 »

In post 1241, Johhog wrote:
Forehead: Will you play another game on this site? I promise you that it's not normal for games of this size to take this long time, if you look at the forum this was pretty much the oldest one in play and some games who started at the same time as this one ended two months ago.

I've already "/in"ed for another newbie game. I've also noticed that the normal games are two weeks, that's certainly more appealing. Is there any games that have deadlines of a week? That'd be perfect, well for non-marathon games.

In post 1242, StefanB wrote:
I wouldn't say that Forehead was most at fault for the loss, that honor goes to Hiplops play. And I am much to blaim, I tunnel way to much on Forehead, and I don't know if I would have managed to make a convincing case on him, at the last day. And sorry for the less contrubation on day 3, I was really without internet this time.

Yeah, Hiplop's play won him the game. I was just saying that if I hadn't went AWOL then maybe I wouldn't have looked as scummy, then Demyx might've trusted his gut more since the logic would've been less convincing.

I'm surprised I last as long, tbh, especially when it was you and I left.
Johhog
Johhog
Mafia Scum
Johhog
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1244 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:38 am

Post by Johhog »

In post 1243, forehead7 wrote:I've already "/in"ed for another newbie game. I've also noticed that the normal games are two weeks, that's certainly more appealing. Is there any games that have deadlines of a week? That'd be perfect, well for non-marathon games.

It's quite common with 10 day deadlines, look around in the different forums and you will find several. I suppose there would be some with week deadlines too, but I think they're more uncommon.

Just PM the mod and ask if he doesn't specify how long the deadlines will be in the sign-up thread/queue thread.
"Það únga rósarblað vornæturinnar góðu hafði hann selt fyrir korpnaðar skinnbækur. Það var hans líf."
-Hið ljósa man, Halldór Kiljan Laxness
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1245 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:18 am

Post by StefanB »

Well I was in one game that moved pretty fast, that was Farsides Mafia Dating Game Show 2 (I think it began at night 1 or day 2, and ended shortly after my internettroubles started.
But for short games in Mafiascum you have to search, they are not that common.
Warning Themed can be pretty complex.
That was very long, I think exspecially lyo is normally over very much sooner.
forehead7
forehead7
Goon
forehead7
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1246 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:26 am

Post by forehead7 »

In post 1244, Johhog wrote:
In post 1243, forehead7 wrote:I've already "/in"ed for another newbie game. I've also noticed that the normal games are two weeks, that's certainly more appealing. Is there any games that have deadlines of a week? That'd be perfect, well for non-marathon games.

It's quite common with 10 day deadlines, look around in the different forums and you will find several. I suppose there would be some with week deadlines too, but I think they're more uncommon.

Just PM the mod and ask if he doesn't specify how long the deadlines will be in the sign-up thread/queue thread.

Hmm, 10 days would be better. I'll still play with two weeks, but the small the deadline then the more likely I'm gonna be active the whole time.
Tajun
Tajun
Goon
Tajun
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1247 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Post by Tajun »

A couple of thoughts personally:

AndroidDreams - Wow, I have never been more wrong. Having now been in the situation you were in (innocent and had a case made on you) I can understand your frustration. I wish I had seen that at the time, looking back it was really obvious that you were town from your posting style. Mea culpa :oops: .

Whiskers - I think Demyx and hiplop have said most of what I had to say, but I think it is worth noting that two of the first three people you went after were the scum team. You definitely need to learn to trust yourself more. Do that, and you could become a really good player.

Hiplop - Said most of what I had to say, it was a blast. Look forward to seeing you around the site.

Demyx - You were awesome as well. Had a great time playing with you, although you had a bad habit of saying what I was thinking before I got a chance to :) . Hopefully I'll get the pleasure of playing with you again.
AndroidDreams
AndroidDreams
Townie
AndroidDreams
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1248 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Post by AndroidDreams »

Hey guys!
You were a great group to introduce me to online mafia
In retrospect, wished I wasn't moving across the country for half the game XD
Good luck in your future roles :]
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #1249 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:13 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Last post.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”