The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - Summer 2024 NEW SERVER!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

Event & Minigame RSVP ~ Week of 27/5 - 03/6:

Inaugural SPLEEF Tourney - (Share your date/time preference!)
50%
Other Games, Speedrun Maps, IDK?! - (Share in comments!)
50%

Total votes: 2

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #12000 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 11998, izakthegoomba wrote:^

Maru, could you at the very least shoot me and M a PM and say something in the IRC a few minutes before you do something significant?

I usually try to in the IRC. The bukkit thing the only person online was dav and i todl him we'd be down for maybe an hour while i tried to do bukkit stuffs. from now on i can shoot you guys a pm though when i do anything to the ftb server. This current downtime, klaz and M and most the server knew before I did.

at the very least, we can start utilizing the Topic in the IRC channel for status updates ,in which case i need to talk to corin about getting you and M accounts on his bouncer, and having you guys OPed in the IRC
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12001 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

Thanks for the update maru. I really do appreciate what you guys do behind the scenes even though I might not come across that way all the time (or ever).

I was thinking while reading your posts... if its possible to get read-only FTP access I could do some semi-regular manual backups of the vanilla server. I could take a backup whenever I ended a minecraft playing session. I'd be happy to do it because I'd have the piece of mind knowing I'll never lose any work I did in between backups. You'd just have to let me know what files I need to copy.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12002 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:27 am

Post by Rob14 »

So apparently according to Corin, we may have lost the FTB files. They corrupted, apparently.

So fuck.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12003 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:28 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 12001, Rhinox wrote:Thanks for the update maru. I really do appreciate what you guys do behind the scenes even though I might not come across that way all the time (or ever).

I was thinking while reading your posts... if its possible to get read-only FTP access I could do some semi-regular manual backups of the vanilla server. I could take a backup whenever I ended a minecraft playing session. I'd be happy to do it because I'd have the piece of mind knowing I'll never lose any work I did in between backups. You'd just have to let me know what files I need to copy.

if you can download FTP files with read-only, M can do that for you himself through his adminyness of the control panel. FTP-access is owner-set so you'd just have to register on the control panel, and have M set you to a user with read-only FTP. If it requires write-FTP access, i would suggest M against giving out freebie FTP-access with writableness, but again, he could do that as well.

EDIT: Corin says it is possible, you'll have to register on mutlicraft.ms-hosting.org and then ask M to give you read-only access in the FTP settings and user-level access in the Users page.
Show
Join Now!

Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #12004 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:36 am

Post by Maestro »

Hey, really sick IRL so not gonna be on site for that long at all...I'm thinking I could give my cell to you and Corin, Maru, that way maybe I'd know about stuff ASAP so we can get the word out? I dunno, I feel like some people feel disconnected just because they aren't on IRC at exactly the right moment which seems to me to be 1) silly, 2) totally not anybody's fault, and 3) already discussed. So whatever.

@Rhinox: I can definitely set read-only FTP access, and I believe we can even limit it to the 'Nilla server, but we'll need to do a test while we're both also on IRC (so not today, because sickness) so we can figure out if it actually works for the kindof back-ups you'd want to do. That being said, I think you may run into the same kinds of problems that Maru talks about. AFAIK (inb4izaksaysI'mwrong) there's no real way to discern which part of the "world" folder in Bukkit link to which places, ergo there's no way to make sure you're JUST backing up places that've actually changed, ergo you'd need to backup the entire fuckin' Nilla server...which can't be a time-economical thing for you to take on doing.

@Maru/izak: I agree we definitely need to discuss some things with the backups - even following the SpawnTown incident I'm pretty sure we needed maybe a weekly back-up to get rid of the damage. MONTHLY is, IMO, quite ridiculous...I mean, of course we should have the 24-hour back-ups, but I don't saving them for a MONTH in previous would be very helpful at all. NOt sure when the last time was that we even had to back-up that far in the past (those in the chesskid era can say, I guess) but I really don't see it being necessary ever again. A week, 2 weeks MAXIMUM for permanent-saving of back-ups, I'd say would be enough.

Anything else?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12005 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:39 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 12002, Rob14 wrote:So apparently according to Corin, we may have lost the FTB files. They corrupted, apparently.

So fuck.

Oh, right, this thing. STFU and calm down till we hear or see something definite. I'll talk to him about it but if anybody leaves after this so be it. No need to be all histrionic before we even know anything for sure.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12006 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:44 am

Post by Rob14 »

In post 12005, Maestro wrote:
In post 12002, Rob14 wrote:So apparently according to Corin, we may have lost the FTB files. They corrupted, apparently.

So fuck.

Oh, right, this thing. STFU and calm down till we hear or see something definite. I'll talk to him about it but if anybody leaves after this so be it. No need to be all histrionic before we even know anything for sure.

I didn't post until Corin gave me a definite "It's gone."

It's gone.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12007 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:54 am

Post by Maestro »

Maru, oh Maru
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12008 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:55 am

Post by Maruchan »

THE GOOD NEWS:

The Hosting-Company die of things is now fully 100% configured properly. OVH (the big guys with the warehouse full of machines) are happy with our settings, we are no longer taking cheap-shortcuts to make things work (end therefore not working properly), and we fully configured to be 1-click scaleable. we'll never have near this level of downtime again for upgrades should we ever need them (we shouldn't), and we are much much more stable than before. This means less downtime!

MORE GOOD NEWS:
In conjunction with all that, we can now VPS our multiple servers. This means no longer will the MS server affect the FTB server, or vice versa (the main issue in causing what rob mentioned above, getting to that). This also means better performance, and more stability and less problems like rhinox's lag.

SOME SEMI GOOD NEWS:
We can now have bukkit on the FTB server SAFELY! We will instal it before anything else so there is nothing for it to fuck up! This means things like /home, /tpaing, /warps, /fly for admins, lockable chests (no more looting!), as well as possible lockable barrels and IC2 machinery due to custom configs (MAYBE WE'LL LOOK AND SEE), and much more!

The nowhere near good news:
In relation to above, and rob's post, we have lost the FTB server. The total cause of this: I assume most of oyu know what .zip/.rar filetypes are, they are a compressed, shrunk down copy of a directory that saves as a single file, making transferring them easier. When doing things, like all the server maintenance we have done for the past month and a half, the easiest way to transfer all the files in the servers back and forth is to use a process like .zipping, using .tars. Unfortunately, apparently .tar can have some troubles moving large massive files (say, 100Gigs) and might corrupt them. This is what happened. While dealign wit hthe massive number of backups the MS MineBackup plugin has created, the files became corrupted ( we lost all MS backups older than february 14th, the Essentials folder (meaning your /home locations, /warps, and a few other non-issue items), and the entire FTB server). This means
We have to restart the entire FTB server from scratch unfortunately
. Some of you at this point may be at the point you think this is going to be a normal occurrence and an issue. I promise you it won't be. We now have the infrastructure in place to have the entire MACHINE backed up better, as well as keeping this type of stuff from happening again, as well as this amount of downtime. We should never see downtime due to me/corin again.

What this all means:
We need to decide what we're going to do at this point. First: what modpack we all want collectively (I suggest DW20 still).
Second: We're going to need to find a new seed we like, unless one of those who did the seedhunting originally have the seed from before that we can use.
Third: We need to decide what we're going to do as a server now. Start over from scratch, give everyone an hour with admin-monitored creative mode, give nice big chests full of supplies out, or what. We also need to hash out some more permanent-type things, such as how to handle mystcraft, what rules need to be put in place in-game wise on mods that cause any forms of lag, and what to do as admins to stop some of our past mistakes happening again.

@Claus, Rhinox, Maestro, IzakTheGoomba, MME: I would highly suggest you all register at http://multicraft.ms-hosting.org/ (as soon as it is back up again), and them N can give all of you FTP access to the server if he so chooses to allow Claus to run his scripted backups, and rhinox his as well.
Show
Join Now!

Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12009 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:03 am

Post by Maestro »

We will discuss things people want back/what to do with the restart in a place that is not this thread. I completely approve of the above post, all it contains, all it informs, and nobody should have any problem with what is happening. Talk to me via PM, or go to this quicktopic if you REALLY ABSOLUTELY 100% MUST rant or if you want to ask for things back. I prefer lists via PM.

Claus/Rhinos/Eek: lemme know when you're online here and I can try and get you CP access, but I'll be V/LA at least for today and tomorrow whilst sick. Thanks o/
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12010 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 am

Post by Rob14 »

One other decision we have to make as a server, before we make the decision regarding how to rebuild, is whether or not to continue playing on the FTB server we have now. There are other options out there, chiefly the option to create (and pay for) a MS community-run FTB server. That will cost quite a bit, probably, but it is an option. We have to start over either way. We have to decide if it's with or without Maru and Corin running things from the clouds.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12011 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:08 am

Post by Maestro »

I will not be a part of that decision. And it most certainly something that should be in the QT I just posted. If you feel that strongly about it you may start discussion, but I can safely say I have NO problems with the way Maru/Corin have run the FTB Server. They've handled everything as well as they possibly could, and the 3 main errors in file saving/backup/deletion have been 1) human error on my part, 2) a failed installation attempt done for the sake of the server itself, which shouldn't have backfired in anyway and which did so with minimum effect, and 3) a complete freak file corruption error.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12012 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:13 am

Post by Rob14 »

Why on earth should we have discussion in a QT that many people won't see/read and not in the thread for discussion of the MS servers?
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12013 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:16 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 12009, Maestro wrote:We will discuss things people want back/what to do with the restart in a place that is not this thread. I completely approve of the above post, all it contains, all it informs, and nobody should have any problem with what is happening. Talk to me via PM, or go to this quicktopic if you REALLY ABSOLUTELY 100% MUST rant or if you want to ask for things back. I prefer lists via PM.

Claus/Rhinos/Eek: lemme know when you're online here and I can try and get you CP access, but I'll be V/LA at least for today and tomorrow whilst sick. Thanks o/

we still need to discuss if we want to start from scratch or give things back or not before lists js.
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12014 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:21 am

Post by Maruchan »

also as much as i understand the QT, i'm with rob, it'd be best to post about it here, even though inb4 UA "lol you guys" moredrama.

PS: as for hosting, the price is something like 7.50 GBP per gigabyte, which equates to something like US$12 per gigabyte, we currently are running on 5, but the FTB server should really get 6 or 8 to itself. Just if you guys want to discuss that option, and that is about the same/cheaper than most companies available, and definitely cheaper than the big-name companies like multiplay.

I'm going to continue to run an FTB server though and as much as I hide behind the "this is maurhcan's server" bullcrap i spread, it really is more community-driven than any past server I have run excluding the MS server itself. I just say that as an end-of-discussion defense should i get sick of fighting with anyone about anything.
Show
Join Now!

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #12015 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:21 am

Post by Klazam »

start from stratch. too much work lost to admin it all in.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #12016 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:22 am

Post by Klazam »

it took me 3 hours to get 1/4 of what I owned back, the last time. in creative mode I mean
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12017 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:27 am

Post by Maruchan »

i'm with Klaz, starting from scratch is my preferred option here as well
Show
Join Now!

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12018 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:30 am

Post by Rob14 »

I will not play in a server where I'm starting from scratch. I refuse to rebuild my basic machines, coke ovens, and all that. I invested 100+ hours of play time in the last server. I'm not going to do that again all while expecting the server to fail again in the future. Not happening.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12019 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 am

Post by Maruchan »

i was being sarcastic about expecting it to happen again, you can expect it to not happen again. the only reason it did this time was a file corruption, that could happen at any computer anywhere in the world no matter who you go through to host it. But you are free to your opinions, and i can't/won't force you to play on my server
Show
Join Now!

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12020 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:52 am

Post by Rob14 »

I know you don't expect it to fail again, Maru. I understand that. But did you expect it to fail this time either? How about when we had to roll-back less than a week ago? None of this is expected. I'm not even sure if any of this could have been prevented. All I know is that this server has had problems and they've occurred with greater frequency than on any other server I've ever been a part of.

Do I really have an option to just choose another server? Not if I want to stay in this community. In my ideal world, we'd have a community FTB server rather than playing on Maru's private playground because I think there's a pretty significant issue when a single person is claiming that, despite Minecraft literally being a game built around a community and the entire community coming from MS, that this is not a community server and if you don't like that you can leave. But those issues aren't going to be addressed. I've already come to peace with that.

Now, all I want is my shit back and to forget that this ever happened. If I don't get my shit back, I won't be playing. I'm NOT going to start over punching trees again after 100+ hours of play time. No fucking way. It's that simple.
blake5135
blake5135
Watcher
blake5135
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #12021 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:58 am

Post by blake5135 »

Well. Now I don't have all that shit to move to Wills age now :D

Am I the only one that is still in a good mood after learning that news!? :P
blake5135
blake5135
Watcher
blake5135
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #12022 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:01 am

Post by blake5135 »

Idea.
Gather the most active members.
Decide.

Let the three admins decide on the options that the active members & admins should decide on.

Does that make sense?
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12023 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:06 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

The thing is, and with all due respect to everyone, if I wanted to continue to start from scratch over and over again, I'd just play SSP. While it's true that I mainly play on the server for you guys, I do work hard for everything I get, as does everyone else. In between the time I spend on the server, and the sleep I get, I have school, which does get in the way of a lot of things, and, because of that, it can be frustrating to start over from scratch completely every couple of months. Now, I understand that shit happens and that computers aren't perfect, blah blah blah, but it shouldn't be a regular occurrence to have to completely restart the server. I'm not putting anyone at fault, nor am I complaining about things, because really and truly, I don't feel I have any say in what happens. The OP's we have are great, and I absolutely love being on the server, but something has to change. I want to stay here and play with everyone, but I just think there should be a better, more organized way to run the server.

Blake, I'm not upset by any means. It's just a game. I am, however, frustrated with the occurrence of the incident. I like to consider myself an active and devoted player, and having something taken away from you that you worked hard for can be very, very frustrating.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
blake5135
blake5135
Watcher
blake5135
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #12024 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:10 am

Post by blake5135 »

Yeah, I understand what you're saying Dav.

Return to “The Arcade”