hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1075 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:33 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1071, quadz08 wrote:
Cow wrote:5) Speaking of that, I was a bit surprised when at least half the town mimics asked "so am I town, or neutral?" It seemed like a pretty generic town win condition wording to me, am I wrong about that? Would that have tripped up everyone? We were going for more flavorful PMs without the bullet-point style that I've seen around a lot lately.

It says "You win when no threats to
your
well-being remain." This implies singular you, rather "the town" or "the mimics" or "the village" etc.

It was also worded as such in the Thread Switcher, Healer, and one of the Mason PMs, but they didn't have to ask for clarification, IIRC(although I might be wrong on that). There definitely could have been clarification somewhere though, whether something in the rules such as "if you're not sure of your alignment, you're town" or a sample town wincon.

quadz wrote:
Cow wrote:That's fair. But people were talking outside the game thread(masons/scumteams) and the rules leave no wiggle room saying that's not OK either. Is it just because people are used to that rule being broken, but the game-specific rule was game-specific, so it was assumed to be universally accurate?

Most rulesets says "no talking outside the thread unless your role specifically says otherwise" or something similar. Yours doesn't appear to address the issue at all, unless I'm missing something. Explicitly saying in your rules "Power roles can only target players in the same thread" means that you are putting a guarantee that there are no roles that can target players in another thread. 100%. Factional actions targeting other threads has some wiggle room as it's not technically a "power role," but DCL's role was in direct contradiction with your ruleset. You flat out lied to the players, which is pretty much the definition of bastard modding.

Straight from the ruleset:
The rules wrote:The game is not to be discussed outside of the thread.

That's it. As little wiggle room as the "only target same thread", but there was still scum/mason discussion outside the gamethread. Is that bastard modding? It's role trumps rules as well. Also, with the mimics, I feel like it helps a bit, as it was explicitly confirmable. Definitely should have been changed though.

quadz wrote:Cow, can you explain the motivation for putting in the Threadswitcher as a Town-aligned role? Was it intended to be negative utility?

Flavor. It didn't feel malicious in the flavor and world we created, so we made it town. As we were intending to have more overall portaling than we ended up with, it was intended to be helpful for things like PRs being able to use their power as well as be moved.

Tierce wrote:
In post 1063, hasdgfas wrote:
Also, it might be me, but the sign-up thread could have done with a bit more clarity on how the thread system would work. I don't really know what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. :lol: I only wish I could have picked out towntells by people who were just as befuddled by the initial state of D1 as I was.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Could you elaborate?
Again, it might be me, but IIRC I did not expect us to be divided by threads/restricted to them.

I thought that was quite clear in the sign-up thread with things like "you portal by doing blah, power roles targeting threads blah". Perhaps you're still not explaining it well enough, because I still don't understand.

Tierce wrote:
In post 1063, hasdgfas wrote:3) I'm
considering
making a sequel if there's enough interest, hopefully fixing some of the problems that I saw as it played out. What do people think?
Vi's rule of trilogies--people will likely focus a lot more on how to break the mechanics. As long as you can design accordingly, etc.

Yeah, I'm definitely worried about that, hoping to make it different enough that it won't have the same problems though. I'd expect people to try to break it, as that happens in every setup.

In post 1072, BBmolla wrote:
In post 1068, Tierce wrote:This is something else I want to mention: look at the wincons--the town wincons are worded differently throughout the PMs. And threats to your well-being, not the well-being of the town, can be a sign that you are a Survivor. I understand their reasoning.

^This exactly.

The setup was insanely townsided, especially with the potential "mimic doctor, break game." After reading the "Healer" PM I was like "Damnit this must only be for one-shot poisoners or something, useless as hell" and got rid of it. Had I realized we were all mimics and healer was doctor, we could have set up a train and broken Vasta similarly to breaking Mayo Clinic.(AKA, set up a Doc train)

Still a doctor with a restriction on it, but not nearly enough of one(and also we should have swapped the locations of the doctor/healer to start with, because then they WOULD have been useless without portaling happening).
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
DCLXVI
DCLXVI
Mafia Scum
DCLXVI
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1076 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:12 am

Post by DCLXVI »

@Tierce, I did realize during day two the problems that the portaling caused, I intended to bring you back to AIA night 2 and then not target you again.

However, the no kill along with the lack of clarity as to my role having any other effect meant that I needed to target you again to make sure.
Sarcasm is
not
a scumtell.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #1077 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:30 am

Post by Yaw »

One experiment that hasn't been mentioned yet, that's worth talking about, was the "average post" guideline. I think in general that worked out, apart from some people taking advantage. The one real downside had to do with threads needing to stay linked in terms of time for portaling to work, and with the quicklynching going on that messed with activity. On the whole, I think this seemed to let players self-select for the posting rate, which was the intent. Is this a good idea overall for adoption? Should there be some kind of warning/punishment system for if people decide to thread-spam?

Portals: The origin of this was that I noticed there hadn't been a 2-thread game for a long time, and thought it an interesting mechanic to look into. Then we came up with a world where having two threads made sense, and the thing built from there. The original (Tuthrededmafya, for those who want to go back through the archives) also had problems with switching being disincentivized, though we thought a lot of the reason for that was the difference in win conditions (Tuthreded required scum to be a majority in
any
thread to win, so players were scared of switching threads in case scum could randomly get a majority in this way). Unfortunately, removing disincentives is not the same thing as adding incentives, and the latter needs to be done for any 2-thread game to work as such. The thread-switcher was also in as a way to force the threads to mix a bit, though I'll admit that was a rather crude way to do it. I'm not sure what a good way to incentivize thread switching is at the moment. (Also, I know I certainly was not expecting thread quarantine to be a strategy, though it seems obvious in hindsight. That's going to be a big hurdle to solve.)

I still rather like the flavour here, despite some of the wording issues. Some of that, I think, was the amount of time between being involved in running games. (For example, I'm used to writing roles as "You're town unless otherwise stated", and that crept in a bit and caused some confusion with the mimics.) The mimics definitely felt as weird as they should have. The intended balance was that none of the town roles was very strong. I think splitting scum teams between threads while still allowing them to communicate and kill anywhere would have helped. That also would have knocked down the potential doc/healing power quite a bit.
Success breeds suspicion
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1078 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:52 am

Post by Vi »

In post 1063, hasdgfas wrote:3) I'm
considering
making a sequel if there's enough interest, hopefully fixing some of the problems that I saw as it played out. What do people think?
My job. :P

One experiment that hasn't been mentioned yet, that's worth talking about, was the "average post" guideline.
Oh. Right. That existed. :P
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
DCLXVI
DCLXVI
Mafia Scum
DCLXVI
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1079 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:26 am

Post by DCLXVI »

I completely ignored the average post guideline. (There was one time I had 9-10 back to back posts in like 5 hours)

I don't think that worked or was necessary. The average posting limit would only help the town and not the scum so I don't see much need for a game to have it. If the town plays right it will post the right amount, if they play badly it will hurt them. That's how the game is supposed to be.
Sarcasm is
not
a scumtell.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #1080 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:31 am

Post by Yaw »

The point of it was more so that players would self-select, hopefully influencing the more spammy ones not to sign up. Given the number of pages each thread had was reasonable, I'm a bit curious if it was a fluke or if the guideline had some positive influence.
Success breeds suspicion
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #1081 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:42 am

Post by BBmolla »

I just got around it by spamming for one day and lurking for the next few.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #1082 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:43 am

Post by Amrun »

Can you explain the utility of my role?
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #1083 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:47 am

Post by Yaw »

It's a little tricky to use, but as the game goes on you could use it to check on if someone's claim is true. For example, if they're claiming vanilla town but are Other, they're probably lying. Or if you know you're hunting a redscum in your thread, you can eliminate a player that is Other. That kind of thing.
Success breeds suspicion
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #1084 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:48 am

Post by Amrun »

But didn't everyone just start out in the thread they were?
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #1085 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:51 am

Post by Yaw »

Nope. There was some cross-seeding, just not a lot to start out.
Success breeds suspicion
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1086 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

1) Amrun's role probably would have been more useful if the scum had started not all in the same thread together.

2) The average post guideline didn't have any effect for me. I largely ignored it and just posted whenever I felt like. Maybe it changed how other people posted, but I didn't really see any use in it.

3) This game was another successful implementation of my "make everyone hate me and want to lynch me so that scum never wants to kill me and doesn't realize I have a potentially debilitating PR ability" plan. YAUS! >.>

LastSurvivor wrote:I don't know anyone in Vasta other than a few of those who you mentioned. In vowel town, I know MoS, Pere, Projectmatt, and DCL.
MoS I probably don't need to tell much about, but he's good.
DCL's a fairly mediocre player who I think we could mess up. Pere and Projectmatt I'm in ongoing games with, so I can't really speculate on how they play as town...but I thought it'd be worth mentioning. <_<

Aww, <3!
Permanent V/LA.
Lastsurvivor
Lastsurvivor
Mafia Scum
Lastsurvivor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1087 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Post by Lastsurvivor »

:P You were good in Beck's mini normal, even if you did think I was scum (but you weren't alone so meh).
Game(s) where I have in fact been the last survivor, or been among the last survivors: 1
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1088 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Heh, yea that's cuz I have a tendency to white knight people I think are VIs...it just so happened that in that game the VI was just scum pretending to be dumb. =P
Permanent V/LA.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1089 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Note to all games: I'm probably not going to post much (if at all) for the next 24 hours or so. I need to step away from the site for a bit. I'll reevaluate when I get back.
Permanent V/LA.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #1090 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Whoops wrong thread.
Permanent V/LA.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1091 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

Great fun to follow, real shame the doublethread/portalling mechanic was discouraged.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1092 (ISO) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:34 am

Post by iamausername »

In post 300, iamausername wrote:Clearly, I'm not going to get the implosion lynch I want today. I've made my case, I don't have any stellar points to add to it, and I have no interest in engaging in a quote war. It's there for people to refer back to if he kills me. Moving on.

In post 1023, Cyoeraeth wrote:
implosion, Mafia Godfather
, lynched Day 4

Took your time about it, but thanks anyway guys! Knew I could count on you.
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1093 (ISO) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Post by PeregrineV »

Totally missed on implosion. It seems to be a trend that's depressing me.

@Mod-Great game in both threads.

@Dcl- LMAO at volley-Tierce activity.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
projectmatt
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1094 (ISO) » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Post by projectmatt »

Oh wow, I didn't notice this game had ended until now. First of all, I'd like to sincerely apologize for my actions as doctor this game. I did save Implosion n2, but I wasn't thinking on the last night because I needed to leave for vacation in like five minutes without internet for a week, and i thought, "oh, shoot, i need to protect someone!" and pretty much just picked who i thought was town at the top of my head without thinking about his claim, lol

thank you for modding this setup, i really did enjoy it. my reads were fairly good in this game so i guess i didn't do awfully, this game was pretty enjoyable and the town ruled so yeah, GG
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1095 (ISO) » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Post by petapan »

well in a really roundabout way, you dying expedited the game, so.
free crypto

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”