Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #1050 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Post by Amrun »

I actually think this game would be really interesting with just one scumteam - like, night kill analysis would be so different and neat.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
FaerieLord
FaerieLord
Mafia Scum
FaerieLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1051 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:08 pm

Post by FaerieLord »

This game was fun; Scum was unlucky to lose this quickly, but other than the whole Yos/Mos thing, town played really well.
(1:07:08 AM) Xdaamno: alcohol
(1:07:11 AM) Xdaamno: solves this problem
(1:07:13 AM) Xdaamno: woohoo
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #1052 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

I blame this on Tierce, who is obviously a terrible person who wants me to be scum.
I was reading this from the side and thinking that both town were doing awesomely, and scum seemed kind of fubared because of what implosion mentioned about one scum left being screwed. Then I replaced in to see the only votes in Aia were on myself and my leftover buddy. <_< I think I paniced just a teensy bit. WTB ability to be scum will pay in townie cred.

At least I got a new scummy avatar from it! (There is still nothing wrong with troll Yuka you are a mean person Vi >:< )
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1053 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:45 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 1052, Shadoweh wrote:At least I got a new scummy avatar from it! (There is still nothing wrong with troll Yuka you are a mean person Vi >:< )
Your new av really is an improvement. Thank you for changing it, and I mean that with no sarcasm or malice. (Malice Cannon is hard to use anyway.)

Anyway, I've been thinking about how to improve this setup format since late Day 1. Now that the game is over, I'll proceed with how I think a two-thread game like this could go and see if it can be broken as easily as this game. If not, helloooooo next game.

The Towns did very well for themselves all things considered. (One Town just did better because of a lack of Roleblockers and Mimic claims giving them freebies.~)
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1054 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:36 am

Post by Shmugen »

This game was frustrating. I apparently fell victim to one of Mafiascum's memes, that of agreeing with Yosarian. My play certainly wasn't fantastic, but I was so excited when I drew scum mimic and our whole team was mimics. Here I was thinking we were unique.

I'm also not a huge fan of the cross-thread thing, and wish this game would have been advertised as role madness. There were 10 mimics, for heaven's sake.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1055 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:39 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1028, Mastermind of Sin wrote:Thoughts:

1) As I mentioned previously in the game, I think making each game an even 3:10 split gave the town too much advantage since we were basically able to figure it out D1 with no information. I would have split the scum between threads, because the town's strategy of not switching threads screwed the scum AND helped clear myself/Tierce, because by that point no scum in their right mind would have swapped threads. Also...

Yeah, that's one of the things I would change if I ran this again

In post 1028, Mastermind of Sin wrote:2) I'm really disappointed that the game rules explicitly stated that no power roles could target outside their own thread, and then DCLXVI got a role that violated that rule. Blatantly lying to the players is not a desirable thing in a non-bastard game. If you were going to include a role like that, you should have written the rules differently.

I figured that was covered by the guideline role > rules. Probably should've added a qualifier of some sort, but I really don't see this as a big problem.

MoS wrote:4) This was an incredibly unlucky role distribution for the scum. Town had a lot of strong players that controlled most of the game, and it ended up with only 1 mislynch per thread. That's just unfortunate.

Yeah. When I saw the distribution, I was kind of expecting something like this.

Full thoughts/setup should be up around lunchtime.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1056 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:09 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 1055, hasdgfas wrote:I figured that was covered by the guideline role > rules. Probably should've added a qualifier of some sort, but I really don't see this as a big problem.
That's a decent guideline and it's what stopped me, but this is still lying to the players. "Power roles can't target players in the other thread" is what the rules say. "You can target players in the other thread" is what DCLXVI's power role says. When you have a contradiction like that, a mislynch is very likely to happen, because this is something that goes directly against the info that town
does
have for certain, which are the rule posts and their own role PMs.

For example, this is a good way of wording a rule that allows for loopholes:
In post 1, Cyoeraeth wrote:Instead of using your normal night choice, you may send the choice “Portal”. This will cause you to wake up in the other thread.
Changing threads
in this way
can only be prevented by your death.
This allowed for something to affect thread-moving.

The way you mentioned power roles and their available targets had no such wiggle room. Adding a rule/guideline that role > rules would do wonders to fix that. (Or simply "as a general rule, power roles can only target those in the same thread".)

Also, it might be me, but the sign-up thread could have done with a bit more clarity on how the thread system would work. I don't really know what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. :lol: I only wish I could have picked out towntells by people who were just as befuddled by the initial state of D1 as I was.

With that said, I really liked this game.
I'm still bitter I didn't get to lynch Tammy.
Impressive town work all around, even though scum were pretty lackluster.

Also, yay town meta in which my D1 is pretty miserable in terms of obvtownieness.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1057 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:15 am

Post by Tammy »

Congrats to both towns!

Thanks for letting me replace in. I wish I would have signed up from the start as it had some fun mechanics and I probably would have moved for the fun of it.
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #1058 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:36 am

Post by Amrun »

@DCL: Doing what you did with Tierce was really anti-town because it totally robbed her of any motivation to play properly. She was not at all the normal Tierce, and I think that's a direct reflection of being tossed about the threads and constantly feeling like she would be lynched for something out of her control. If you thought she was scum, I would get it, but you didn't.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1059 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:49 am

Post by Tierce »

When you get to the point in which a townie is willing to roll over and be lynched by something you are willingly doing as Town... :/ Good thing the game did not get to that point, but frankly, I'm still annoyed at how DCLXVI used his action.

As Amrun says, it's not only about the action itself--it's how it affects the person you're using it on on a
playing
level. When I'm expecting something and instead am forced to adjust to something else, not once, not twice, but
thrice
in a game and there is nothing in my role or in town claims that indicate this might be a town effect, I lose interest in scumhunting as normal--I just want to pin the bastard who is doing this to me. Reading the threads? For what, if I'm going to be tossed around like a pinball come next day?

The way this touches on a player's motivation/interest is very close to what happens to people's motivations if a game gets too many pages overnight or there is open bickering in the thread. How would you feel if, instead of being part of the thread you've repeatedly read and analyzed during the night, you ended up in a thread/game that you've barely skimmed and is on the 23rd page? This is very demotivating, and then it happened again... and again.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1060 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:24 am

Post by hasdgfas »

PeregrineV, Vi, roflcopter, iamausername, Tierce:
(Villager)
These disappearances have taken quite a toll on you. However, there is something that you can do about them. You know that anyone could be responsible, so during the day you can help the rest of the village decide who you think is responsible for the disappearances. However, you are but a simple villager. You have nothing to do at night and can only vote during the day.

You win when no threats to the village’s well-being remain.

The game is located at: https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22453 and https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22454

quadz08:
(Paranoid Gun Owner)
These disappearances have taken quite a toll on you. These meetings during the day are a good idea, because anyone could be responsible. However, will that be enough? You don’t think so. People may come for you at night. At least you have your shotgun in case anyone tries to get too close to you then.
You are a Paranoid Gun Owner. If anyone targets you at night, you will kill them if possible.

The game is located at: https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22453 and https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22454

Mastermind of Sin:
(Roleblocker)
These disappearances have taken quite a toll on you. The meetings aren’t enough, they just stress you out more. You have to de-stress on your own. You have recently made some delicious home-brewed beer. That would be a perfect way of de-stressing. However, it would be far too boring to drink alone. Each night, you can go visit someone and drink to forget about what’s happened. As your drink is rather...potent to those who aren’t used to it, you will make sure they don’t go anywhere afterwards, or it may have humiliating, or possibly disastrous consequences for anyone who did try to leave.
You are a Roleblocker. Each night, you may choose one person who won’t be able to perform any normal action they might have that night. You win when no threats to the village’s well-being remain.

crypto->petapan:
(Mason)
Although these disappearances have taken quite a toll on you, at least you’ve been able to meet a very interesting new person out of it. You were scared of the portal at first, but when someone walked out of it and started talking to you, you realized that the world beyond wasn’t evil incarnate after all, and might be a nice place to visit. You and your friend have decided to keep in touch whenever you can.
You are a Mason. (Yes, this means you are sure of your friend’s innocence.) You may talk to your friend Yosarian2 at night if you both started the night in the same thread. However, if either of you changes threads and the other doesn’t, you may not talk until you are in the same thread again. A Quicktopic thread has been set up for your use at <removed>

projectmatt:
(Human Doctor)
These disappearances have taken quite a toll on you. Once they started, everyone in the village came to visit you, because they wanted to see if you were treating those who had disappeared. Once they realized you weren’t, they bombarded you with questions about what you knew. You were barely able to treat anyone who came in needing medical treatment. However, they have recently begun to back off and let you do your work.
You are a Doctor. Each night, you may choose one person to visit. If they have been targeted for a serious injury, you will heal them and they will be fine in the morning.

Mod Note: Protection only works against Mafia kills.

Amrun:
(Seer)
Months ago, you had a vision. You had gone into trance to celebrate the full moon, when a spirit came to you in the form of an eagle. You were lifted up, high above the world, and shown that next to it was a new world that you had never seen before. Those living on the new world seemed nice enough, though you marked very clearly that each of them had an aura completely different than any you had seen on Earth.
When the portal arrived, and new people came through from Elsewhere, you saw these auras that the spirits had shown you. The other villagers seem to believe they are human, but if you concentrate you can tell the difference. Perhaps you could use this to help your village.
You are a Seer. Every night you may target a player. You will find out whether that player is a Human or is from another world.
You win when no threats to the village's well-being remain.

Mod note: Tells the original origin of a player, whether human(from Aia) or non-human(from Vasta)

implosion:
(Godfather)
These disappearances have taken quite a toll on you. Although you’ve been telling everyone not to trust these visitors, they don’t all seem to be listening to you. Some of your neighbours even want to make friends with them. You can’t stand anything about them and are becoming increasingly convinced that they are going to destroy the village in some way. While you don’t know their nefarious plans, that doesn’t matter. What matters is that they have evil plans, and your fellow villagers are letting them carry those plans out. You and your friends redFF and Korts all agree that something needs to be done. You three are going to get rid of all the aliens and make sure that only those who are real humans remain in this village. However, even if the visitors are eradicated, you also need to be sure the town will be in your control in the future by ensuring there aren't enough humans left to argue with your decisions.
You are the Mafia Godfather. Every night you may talk with your friends to decide who you are going to kill. Whichever of your team members makes the kill must be in the same thread as the person being killed. A Quicktopic thread has been set up for your use at <removed>. (Because you’re scared of these visitors, you have set up a primitive system to let you know if someone with dangerous implements has entered your house. Nobody will be able to kill you during the night).
You win when your group comprises a majority of the remaining living players.

redFF:
(Watcher)
These disappearances have taken quite a toll on you. At first, you weren’t sure how to deal with them, but after your friend implosion told you that this portal and these visitors were going to destroy the village, you decided to help defend the town with implosion and Korts. You’re going to kill all of them before they can get you, and you need to ensure that you have control of the village in case a similar situation occurs in the future.

You are the Mafia Watcher. Every night you may talk with your friends to decide who you’re going to kill. Whichever of your team members makes the kill must be in the same thread as the person being killed. A Quicktopic thread has been set up for your use at <removed>. In addition, because you have recently become a wildlife watcher, you have come into possession of a pair of binoculars. If you don’t make the kill at night, you may watch someone’s house to see who visits them that night.
You win when your group comprises a majority of the remaining living players.

Korts->Shadoweh:
(Goon)
These disappearances have taken quite a toll on you. These visitors scare you quite a bit, as you are pretty sure something is off about them. Your friend implosion told you how dangerous the visitors are, and that they are going to destroy the village. He told you the only way to save your village is to kill all of the visitors, as well as ensure the village's future by preventing anybody from hiding any visitors. If that includes killing some of your neighbours, so be it. You also found out that implosion has recruited redFF to help you.

You are the Mafia Goon. Every night you may talk with your friends to decide which person you are going to kill in order to defend your village. Whichever of your team members makes the kill must be in the same thread as the person being killed. A Quicktopic thread has been set up for your use at <Removed>. You win when your group comprises a majority of the remaining living players.

Mod Note: Kill flavour is “shot”. Dead are identified as a role by what they are carrying in their clothes. Dead are identified as Human or Other by the colour of their blood (red for Human, blue for Other).

Shmugen, TheTrollie->WeaponsofmassConstruction->Tammy, Lastsurvivor:
(Mimic Scum)
As passed down in story, your world has returned…along with those worthless humans that made your people leave in the first place. Well, with your two worlds connected, for the good of your people they’ll just have to go. You’d rather just kill them all quickly, but the rest of your people aren’t willing to do what is necessary. This means you’re going to have to kill the humans while nobody is watching. In addition, many of your own don't understand why the humans deserve to die. If they don't understand, they don't deserve the privilege of future life on Earth. Your two friends, lastsurvivor and Shmugen, have agreed to help you in this endeavour.

You are a Scum Mimic. Each night you may talk with your friends to decide which person you are going to kill to bring your plan to fruition. Whichever of your team members makes the kill must be in the same thread as the person being killed. A Quicktopic thread has been set up for your use at <Removed>. Each night, if you do not make the kill, you may target another player to mimic them, taking a copy of their ability as your own. If you already have an ability, you may either use that ability on a player or mimic another player to attempt to copy that ability instead of your current one. (Make sure you specify which you are doing when you submit your choice. Submitting the name of a player alone isn’t enough information.) You win when your group comprises a majority of the remaining living players.

As passed down in story, your world has returned…along with those worthless humans that made your people leave in the first place. Well, with your two worlds connected, for the good of your people they’ll just have to go. You’d rather just kill them all quickly, but the rest of your people aren’t willing to do what is necessary. This means you’re going to have to kill the humans while nobody is watching. In addition, many of your own don't understand why the humans deserve to die. If they don't understand, they don't deserve the privilege of future life on Earth. Your two friends, lastsurvivor and TheTrollie, have agreed to help you in this endeavour.

You are a Scum Mimic. Each night you may talk with your friends to decide which person you are going to kill to bring your plan to fruition. Whichever of your team members makes the kill must be in the same thread as the person being killed. A Quicktopic thread has been set up for your use at <Removed>. Each night, if you do not make the kill, you may target another player to mimic them, taking a copy of their ability as your own. If you already have an ability, you may either use that ability on a player or mimic another player to attempt to copy that ability instead of your current one. (Make sure you specify which you are doing when you submit your choice. Submitting the name of a player alone isn’t enough information.) You win when your group comprises a majority of the remaining living players.

As passed down in story, your world has returned…along with those worthless humans that made your people leave in the first place. Well, with your two worlds connected, for the good of your people they’ll just have to go. You’d rather just kill them all quickly, but the rest of your people aren’t willing to do what is necessary. This means you’re going to have to kill the humans while nobody is watching. In addition, many of your own don't understand why the humans deserve to die. If they don't understand, they don't deserve the privilege of future life on Earth. Your two friends, Shmugen and TheTrollie, have agreed to help you in this endeavour.

Mod Note: Kill flavour is “disappeared” (bloody clothing of the victim is found, but no body). Dead are identified as a role by what they are carrying in their clothes. Dead are identified as Human or Other by the colour of their blood (red for Human, blue for Other).

Magister Ludi, Zajnet->Plum, Nobody Special, Sir Bastion, FaerieLord, Panzerjager, MattP->BBmolla:
(Mimics)
As passed down in story, your world has returned. It would have been exciting to explore this world beyond the portal that had to this moment existed only as myth to you, if your return hadn’t been accompanied by murders and disappearances. To help restore peace, you decided to use your abilities to help get rid of anyone wishing the group as a whole harm.

You are a Mimic. Each night, you may target a player to mimic them, taking a copy of their ability as your own. If you already have an ability, you may either use that ability on a player or mimic another player to attempt to copy their ability instead of your current one. (Make sure you specify which you are doing when you submit your choice. Submitting the name of a player alone isn’t enough information.)

You win when no threats to your well-being remain.

Mod Note: Mimics may copy the Roleblocker, Doctor, Seer, Watcher, Healer, and Thread Switcher Abilities.

Toon Fighter:
(Changeling Doctor)
As passed down in story, your world has returned. You have used your healing skills for years to help those of Vasta with any sicknesses they may have. Recently, you think you have recognized what seems to be causing the disappearances: an ancient and forbidden type of curse. You believe that you can stop the curse from working, but only if you can get to the victim fast enough…
You are a Healer. Each night, you may target a player. That player will be protected from being dispersed into the air by the curse. You win when no threats to your well-being remain.

Mod Note: Protection only works against Mimic Scum kills.

Yosarian2:
(Mason)
As passed down in story, your world has returned. You found this quite exciting, and didn’t waste any time exploring your new surroundings. You soon found someone to talk to in order to gain information about this place and its people. In fact, this academic relationship has a good chance to turn into true friendship, so keeping in touch is probably the best decision for now. Who knows, you may be able to help each other learn about the disappearances and murders as well.

You are a Mason. (Yes, this means you are sure of your friend’s innocence.) You may talk to your friend crypto at night if you began the night in the same thread. However, if the two of you are separate at the beginning of a night, you may not talk for that night. A Quicktopic thread has been set up for your use at <Removed>. You win when no threats to your well-being remain.

DCLXVI:
(Thread Switcher)
Since you were young, you have studied the esoteric Alchemical Science of Otherworldly Transmigration, a subject passed on from parent to child for 500 years. This makes you very well prepared for the return of your world. You may not have opened the portal, but you know how to use it. In fact, maybe you can use that knowledge to help solve the many mysteries surrounding the deaths and disappearances of people from both worlds.

You are an Alchemical Transmigrator. Each night, you may target a player (in either thread) and they will find themselves in the opposite thread when day breaks. You win when no threats to your well-being remain.

(Mod Note: This will not roleblock a player. A player being moved to another thread will get their night choice resolved before moving.)
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1061 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:27 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Night 1:
Cyoeraeth wrote:Human Mafia:
implosion - Do nothing
Korts - kill iamausername -> succeeds

Mimic Mafia:
WeaponsofMassConstruction - Mimic Sir Bastion -> Mimic -> receives nothing
Lastsurvivor - Kill Toon Fighter -> succeeds

Mimics:
Panzerjager - Mimic Sir Bastion -> Mimic -> receives nothing
Plum - Mimic Mastermind of Sin -> Roleblocker -> receives roleblock
FaerieLord - Mimic Yos2 -> Mason -> receives nothing
Sir Bastion - Mimic Yos2 -> Mason -> receives nothing
Magister Ludi - Mimic Vi -> Townie -> recieves nothing
Nobody Special - Mimic Toon Fighter -> Healer -> receives Healer power
BBmolla - Mimic Toon Fighter -> Healer -> receives Healer power

Thread Switcher:
DCLXVI - move Tierce -> succeeds -> Tierce wakes in Vasta

Healer:
Toon Fighter - Heal Yosarian2 -> success

Doctor:
projectmatt - Protect Plum -> success

Masons:
petapan - do nothing
yos2 - do nothing

Seer:
Amrun - Investigate Sir Bastion -> Mimic -> recieves "denizen of another world"

PGO:
quadz - Portal -> success -> wakes in Vasta

Roleblocker:
MoS - Portal -> success -> wakes in vasta

Townies:
PeregrineV - Do Nothing
iamausername - Do Nothing
roflcopter - Do Nothing
Tierce - Do Nothing
Vi - Do Nothing

Night 2:
Cyoeraeth wrote:Mafia - Implosion - Do Nothing

Scum -
Tammy - kill petapan - petapan dies
lastsurvivor - Mimic Tierce - no effect

Mimics -
Plum - Block PeregrineV - peregrine is blocked
Panzerjager - Mimic Tierce - no effect
FaerieLord - Mimic Panzerjager - no effect
Magister Ludi - Mimic PeregrineV - No effect
Nobody Special - Heal Tierce - Tierce is healed
BBmolla - Mimic Tammy - No Effect

Masons
petapan - Nothing
Yosarian2 - Do Nothing

RB
MoS - Block Yos2

PGO
quadz - portal - quadz awakes in Aia

Seer
Amrun - Seer Tierce - Tierce is human

Thread Switcher
DCLXVI - Switch Tierce - Tierce awakes in Aia

vanillas
PeregrineV - Do Nothing
Tierce - DO NOthing
Vi - Do NOthing
roflcopter - Do NOthing

doctor
projectmatt - protect implosion

Night 3:
Cyoeraeth wrote:Mafia:
implosion - Kill Plum

Scum:
Lastsurvivor - Kill Yos - fails

Mimics:
Nobody Special - Mimic MoS - Receive RB
Panzerjager - Mimic MoS - Recieve RB
Magister Ludi - Mimic Tierce - Receive NOthing
FaerieLord - Mimic BBmolla - Receive Nothing
BBmolla - Mimic Lastsurvivor - Receive Nothing
Plum - Block Tierce

doctor:
Projectmatt - Doc quadz - die

PGO:
quadz08 - Portal - awakes in Vasta

Thread Switcher:
DCL - sWITCH Tierce

Seer:
Amrun - investigate roflcopter - human

Mason:
Yos2 - Nothing

RB:
Block Lastsurvivor

Villagers:
Vi - Do Nothing
roflcopter - Do Nothing
Tierce - Do Nothing
Sir Bastion
Sir Bastion
Mafia Scum
Sir Bastion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1062 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:40 am

Post by Sir Bastion »

nice to see shmu thought highly enough of me :D
Scum:
nk bastion cos he is never being lynched imo.

I don't honestly think Sir Bastion is a PR, he's too outspoken for it. But he's also a pain in the ass.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1063 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:54 am

Post by hasdgfas »

As far as my thoughts on the game:

1) This was a game built flavor-up, and it definitely stuck around into the game setup and mechanics, for good or ill. We came up with the world and then worked on the game from there, which may explain some of the weirdness. It was meant to be closely mirrored, but with some slight differences.

2) We realized once the game started that it's really difficult to incentivize portaling. We wanted a bit less static of a game than ended up occurring. It's a tricky problem, we apparently didn't think of a good way to do that, which was to mostly stack the power roles in one thread and the mimics in the other. It obviously wasn't enough.

3) I'm a wee bit surprised that MoS jumped out with the "I roleblocked lastsurvivor. vote lastsurvivor" after the exact same thing happened with the other thread and Plum and Peregrine the previous day and MoS commented on it.

4) I still really liked the idea of this game, as well as the mimic role(yes, and the prevalence). It was basically built around that, and I was happy with the reaction when the cat was let out of the bag.

5) Speaking of that, I was a bit surprised when at least half the town mimics asked "so am I town, or neutral?" It seemed like a pretty generic town win condition wording to me, am I wrong about that? Would that have tripped up everyone? We were going for more flavorful PMs without the bullet-point style that I've seen around a lot lately.
In post 1056, Tierce wrote:
In post 1055, hasdgfas wrote:I figured that was covered by the guideline role > rules. Probably should've added a qualifier of some sort, but I really don't see this as a big problem.
That's a decent guideline and it's what stopped me, but this is still lying to the players. "Power roles can't target players in the other thread" is what the rules say. "You can target players in the other thread" is what DCLXVI's power role says. When you have a contradiction like that, a mislynch is very likely to happen, because this is something that goes directly against the info that town
does
have for certain, which are the rule posts and their own role PMs.

For example, this is a good way of wording a rule that allows for loopholes:
In post 1, Cyoeraeth wrote:Instead of using your normal night choice, you may send the choice “Portal”. This will cause you to wake up in the other thread.
Changing threads
in this way
can only be prevented by your death.
This allowed for something to affect thread-moving.

The way you mentioned power roles and their available targets had no such wiggle room. Adding a rule/guideline that role > rules would do wonders to fix that. (Or simply "as a general rule, power roles can only target those in the same thread".)

That's fair. But people were talking outside the game thread(masons/scumteams) and the rules leave no wiggle room saying that's not OK either. Is it just because people are used to that rule being broken, but the game-specific rule was game-specific, so it was assumed to be universally accurate?

Also, it might be me, but the sign-up thread could have done with a bit more clarity on how the thread system would work. I don't really know what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. :lol: I only wish I could have picked out towntells by people who were just as befuddled by the initial state of D1 as I was.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Could you elaborate?

Other things for now:

1) QTs will be posted if the teams are ok with it/do it themselves. I'll give it probably a day or two for anyone to say no before posting the links myself.

2) I hope people had fun, even though this didn't work out quite how I wanted and I was more behind in modding than I wanted.

3) I'm
considering
making a sequel if there's enough interest, hopefully fixing some of the problems that I saw as it played out. What do people think?

I'm sure there will be more as people post and I think of stuff, but that's a good start.
DCLXVI
DCLXVI
Mafia Scum
DCLXVI
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1064 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:57 am

Post by DCLXVI »

In post 1057, Tammy wrote:Congrats to both towns!

Thanks for letting me replace in. I wish I would have signed up from the start as it had some fun mechanics and I probably would have moved for the fun of it.

Are we reading the same thread?
In post 970, DCLXVI wrote:I had a scumread [on tierce]because of the argument with her over my redFF

I said a lot more with my explanation of how I used my role. Bu I doubt you actually read much (or any) of it. Yes, I could have used it better, but I'm annoyed at the criticism from someone who didn't even read the post in which I claimed my role.
Sarcasm is
not
a scumtell.
DCLXVI
DCLXVI
Mafia Scum
DCLXVI
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1065 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:05 am

Post by DCLXVI »

Tierce, I targeted you cause I thought you could be scum, and there was the possibility of my role working as a roleblock. Since people couldn't use an ability and switch threads. There were other reasons, (which were explained).

n1- targeted you cause of scumread.
n2-brought you back to aia cause it was getting small, the no kill caused me to continue to suspect you.

I wasn't planning on targetting you again after night 2. I had realized that moving might not have been a good idea
n3-targeted you because n2 there wasn't a kill during night 2. The fact that there was a kill is what resulted then in me trying to stop your lynch.

@mod, would my ability have worked as a roleblock had I targeted a pr?
Sarcasm is
not
a scumtell.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1066 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:07 am

Post by hasdgfas »

No, it would not have. It was in the mod note in the role PMs post I just made.
DCLXVI
DCLXVI
Mafia Scum
DCLXVI
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1067 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:13 am

Post by DCLXVI »

Didn't think to re-read it for modnotes. and yeah,, that's no fun. Here I was thinking I could have had a useful ability.
Sarcasm is
not
a scumtell.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1068 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:16 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 1063, hasdgfas wrote:5) Speaking of that, I was a bit surprised when at least half the town mimics asked "so am I town, or neutral?" It seemed like a pretty generic town win condition wording to me, am I wrong about that? Would that have tripped up everyone? We were going for more flavorful PMs without the bullet-point style that I've seen around a lot lately.
This is something else I want to mention: look at the wincons--the town wincons are worded differently throughout the PMs. And threats to
your
well-being, not the well-being of the
town
, can be a sign that you are a Survivor. I understand their reasoning.

In post 1063, hasdgfas wrote:But people were talking outside the game thread(masons/scumteams) and the rules leave no wiggle room saying that's not OK either. Is it just because people are used to that rule being broken, but the game-specific rule was game-specific, so it was assumed to be universally accurate?
Thinking about it, yes, that's exactly it. I'd expect a rule that was designed specifically for this game to encompass all aspects of this game.

In post 1063, hasdgfas wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Could you elaborate?
Again, it might be me, but IIRC I did not expect us to be divided by threads/restricted to them.

In post 1063, hasdgfas wrote:1) QTs will be posted if the teams are ok with it/do it themselves. I'll give it probably a day or two for anyone to say no before posting the links myself.
You probably want to remove them from the role PMs, then.

In post 1063, hasdgfas wrote:3) I'm
considering
making a sequel if there's enough interest, hopefully fixing some of the problems that I saw as it played out. What do people think?
Vi's rule of trilogies--people will likely focus a lot more on how to break the mechanics. As long as you can design accordingly, etc.

I know, DCLXVI. I'm just trying to show you that that kind of role also has a psychological effect on the target, which should also be considered when using it one way or another. It's not likely you'll stumble on such a role again any time soon, but roles that interfere with a player's ability to participate and have consequences outside of their control can be quite demotivating for the target.
Lastsurvivor
Lastsurvivor
Mafia Scum
Lastsurvivor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1069 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:19 am

Post by Lastsurvivor »

Since my Vasta partners didn't seem to object, here's our QT.

Also ._. @ whoever told me to "keep up" because healers were not doctors or something. I mean, not that it matters because healers indeed had nothing to do with it but still.
Game(s) where I have in fact been the last survivor, or been among the last survivors: 1
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1070 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:19 am

Post by petapan »

thread switcher would be a pretty sweet scum role

would definitely play a re-balanced sequel (and also Vi's potential game that was mentioned)
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1071 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:21 am

Post by quadz08 »

Cow wrote:5) Speaking of that, I was a bit surprised when at least half the town mimics asked "so am I town, or neutral?" It seemed like a pretty generic town win condition wording to me, am I wrong about that? Would that have tripped up everyone? We were going for more flavorful PMs without the bullet-point style that I've seen around a lot lately.

It says "You win when no threats to
your
well-being remain." This implies singular you, rather "the town" or "the mimics" or "the village" etc.

Cow wrote:That's fair. But people were talking outside the game thread(masons/scumteams) and the rules leave no wiggle room saying that's not OK either. Is it just because people are used to that rule being broken, but the game-specific rule was game-specific, so it was assumed to be universally accurate?

Most rulesets says "no talking outside the thread unless your role specifically says otherwise" or something similar. Yours doesn't appear to address the issue at all, unless I'm missing something. Explicitly saying in your rules "Power roles can only target players in the same thread" means that you are putting a guarantee that there are no roles that can target players in another thread. 100%. Factional actions targeting other threads has some wiggle room as it's not technically a "power role," but DCL's role was in direct contradiction with your ruleset. You flat out lied to the players, which is pretty much the definition of bastard modding.

P-Edit: holy crap ninja'd by everyone.

Cow, can you explain the motivation for putting in the Threadswitcher as a Town-aligned role? Was it intended to be negative utility?
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #1072 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:09 am

Post by BBmolla »

In post 1068, Tierce wrote:This is something else I want to mention: look at the wincons--the town wincons are worded differently throughout the PMs. And threats to your well-being, not the well-being of the town, can be a sign that you are a Survivor. I understand their reasoning.

^This exactly.

The setup was insanely townsided, especially with the potential "mimic doctor, break game." After reading the "Healer" PM I was like "Damnit this must only be for one-shot poisoners or something, useless as hell" and got rid of it. Had I realized we were all mimics and healer was doctor, we could have set up a train and broken Vasta similarly to breaking Mayo Clinic.(AKA, set up a Doc train)

Tierce's flusterment is probably why I thought she was scum.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1073 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:11 am

Post by Shmugen »

Imagine my delight when the mimic claims popped up day 1. Here's FOUR people claiming mimic, and NONE of them are my scum buddies. No town in the world will believe that many mimics until at least two have flipped.
Magister Ludi
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1074 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:11 am

Post by Magister Ludi »

Best town performance. Dude 6 scum lynches two mislynches epic sauce.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”