Newbie 688 - Game Over, Mafia Wins!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Goon
Scheherazade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:35 pm

Post by Scheherazade »

@mrfixij:
mrfixij wrote:I see where you're coming from, but if you wanted to know about where he was rather than knowing something about where I have you two, you'd have asked explicitly where he stands.
Me, in the post under question, 87 wrote:...what about his play style do you like and what are your feelings about his scumminess exactly...?
I thought that was pretty explicit.

Anyway, I think I understand what you're getting at with Moses. You don't see much scumminess so far, but you're afraid that he'd be good scum if he were...?

This still seems like an odd thing to say, though. If you trust that he's a good player, you don't want to undermine him if he's town or to even indicate to scum that he might be a good target. If he's scum and a good player, letting on that you've got some gut feeling might not be wise. He may move to discredit you later, etc.

=======================================
Page 5 Votecount

WeatheredClown: (0/5)
Crysnia: (0/5)
mrfixij: (1/5) WeatheredClown,
Mastin: (1/5) Panamon
Moses le fou: (0/5)
Scheherazade: (2/5) springlullaby, mrfixij,
Panamon: (3/5) Scheherazade, Crysnia, Moses le fou,
springlullaby: (0/5)
orangepenguin: (0/5)

Not Voting: (2/9) Mastin, orangepenguin,

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch!
=======================================
WeatheredClown
WeatheredClown
Townie
WeatheredClown
Townie
Townie

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:48 pm

Post by WeatheredClown »

Is it true that we haven't seen panamon since Page 2?
[url=http://www.happyworldland.org]Are you happy?[/url]
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

WeatheredClown wrote:Is it true that we haven't seen panamon since Page 2?
Uh, probably, since he got prodded. If he doesn't respond, somebody will replace him.
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Goon
Scheherazade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:20 pm

Post by Scheherazade »

Why do you ask?
Panamon
Panamon
Townie
Panamon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:35 am

Post by Panamon »

Sorry, I'm here. I have to leave for school but I'll read through what happened and post later today.
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:49 am

Post by mrfixij »

Scheherazade wrote: Anyway, I think I understand what you're getting at with Moses. You don't see much scumminess so far, but you're afraid that he'd be good scum if he were...?
In not so many words, yes. I like to start my game fast and loose, and then slow down as the day goes on. Moses appears to be more methodological and deliberate. This does not make him a pro-town or anti-town player, but rather one who is impossible to get a solid read on.
WeatheredClown
WeatheredClown
Townie
WeatheredClown
Townie
Townie

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:34 am

Post by WeatheredClown »

Scheherazade wrote:
Why do you ask?
Because reading through the thread I thought that panamon seemed a bit shady early on and I wasn't sure if there were any more posts after page 2 that I just didn't see.
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Goon
Scheherazade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:09 am

Post by Scheherazade »

@weatheredclown: You can use the filter at the bottom of the screen, I think.

I'm still sort of waiting to hear what plan Mastin had.
WeatheredClown
WeatheredClown
Townie
WeatheredClown
Townie
Townie

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:56 am

Post by WeatheredClown »

dude! I never even noticed that!

thanks.
WeatheredClown
WeatheredClown
Townie
WeatheredClown
Townie
Townie

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:37 pm

Post by WeatheredClown »

!unvote

Ok.. so Panamon is my lead suspect right now... but am not willing to put the vote at l-1 since then he could get, as the kids say, hammered.
WeatheredClown
WeatheredClown
Townie
WeatheredClown
Townie
Townie

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:38 pm

Post by WeatheredClown »

EBWOP,
technically.. with two mafia... panamon could get hammered right now, right?
unless... well.. perhaps I've already said too much..
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Goon
Scheherazade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Post by Scheherazade »

It's possible that one or more of the mafia have already jumped on the Panamon wagon, meaning he might be safe from getting scum-hammered.

What was your unless?
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Post by mrfixij »

If scum speed-hammered Panamon, they'd be ended before Halloween.

Also WC, your unless is obvious. If you're confident in Panamon being scum, then there's only one other scum. That means he couldn't get scumwagoned at L-2. Yes, L-2 is serious business, especially in W11. While I definitely understand the hesitation, if he is speed hammered, the L-1 and hammerman are going to get lynched unless they've got some good reasoning.
Also answer to 'e, it, scumbag, 'ey you!, and his royal towniness.
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:22 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

WC: If Panamon is your lead suspect, as you say, why are you so convinced the mafia will speed lynch? If you think he's mafia, vote him, but if you think there is two elsewhere, then Panamon can't be scum, if there is two scum coming to speed lynch.
WeatheredClown
WeatheredClown
Townie
WeatheredClown
Townie
Townie

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:30 am

Post by WeatheredClown »

orangepenguin wrote:WC: If Panamon is your lead suspect, as you say, why are you so convinced the mafia will speed lynch? If you think he's mafia, vote him, but if you think there is two elsewhere, then Panamon can't be scum, if there is two scum coming to speed lynch.
Panamon is my lead suspect.. that doesn't mean that I'm super anxious to be proven wrong by making it easy for the scum to jump on the bandwagon..

unless there is already scum on the bandwagon..
(which, as some of you figured out... was my unless)
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:14 pm

Post by vollkan »

Panamon has requested replacement. I am searching for one now.
Crysnia
Crysnia
Townie
Crysnia
Townie
Townie

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:50 am

Post by Crysnia »

vollkan wrote:
Panamon has requested replacement. I am searching for one now.
Lovely....so now the game slows even more. Do players get marks against them for committing to a game and then not playing?
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Goon
Scheherazade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:55 am

Post by Scheherazade »

Crysnia, you've pretty much focused on Panamon since the start. I haven't heard your thoughts on other suspects. You said "there are people who are more suspicious [than Mastin]." Other than Panamon, who did you mean and why?
Crysnia
Crysnia
Townie
Crysnia
Townie
Townie

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:52 am

Post by Crysnia »

I have some suspicion about mrfixij. But that is colored by my experiences in other mafia games on other forums. He strikes me as the scum masquerading as the over helpful townie. So then regular old vanilla townies will say "Oh no, we can't vote to lynch mrfixij because he is sooo helpful."
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:52 am

Post by mrfixij »

Crysnia wrote:I have some suspicion about mrfixij. But that is colored by my experiences in other mafia games on other forums. He strikes me as the scum masquerading as the over helpful townie. So then regular old vanilla townies will say "Oh no, we can't vote to lynch mrfixij because he is sooo helpful."
I don't blame you. Looking at my own posts, I can see where my mistakes are, and why I would seem suspicious. Basically, I tend to be more active than most, so I'm usually the first to pick up on obvious fallacies and flaws. It makes me seem too towny to be town.

The only problem with that is that "too towny to be town" is a logical fallacy. The only way high activity is a detriment to town is if my gut read is bad, in which case I'll be leading town lynches and likely get lynched myself.

That reason alone is why I advocate fast and loose play early. It means it's more likely that scum will slip up, contradict themselves or make some kind of crucial error. When I emerge as a forerunner for town, I view a conservative vote before L-2 to be scummy behavior. I, personally, am not afraid to push my lead suspect to L-2 because I can always pull my vote if someone else votes without a good reason for it. I can understand a less active player's hesitation to push to that degree though.
Crysnia
Crysnia
Townie
Crysnia
Townie
Townie

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:11 am

Post by Crysnia »

I never said that high activity for the town was bad. Please don't be putting words in my mouth. I said that people who are too helpful become suspicious in my mind due to past experiences.
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 pm

Post by mrfixij »

Crysnia wrote:I never said that high activity for the town was bad. Please don't be putting words in my mouth. I said that people who are too helpful become suspicious in my mind due to past experiences.
It's a correlation. I'm more active, therefore I am more helpful. Unless I were to post frequently with little content.
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:01 pm

Post by springlullaby »

Shez, it puzzles me that you are agreeing with what I said so readily. My being an IC doesn't mean I'm automatically town. I could have ulterior motives.

The same goes to mrfixij.
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:13 pm

Post by mrfixij »

springlullaby wrote:Shez, it puzzles me that you are agreeing with what I said so readily. My being an IC doesn't mean I'm automatically town. I could have ulterior motives.

The same goes to mrfixij.
It could be me being blind and having a non-functioning brain at 1:00 in the morning, but I fail to see where we agree with you. If anything, from what I've seen, you're agreeing with a previously expressed sentiment of mine.

Also, saying that you could have ulterior motives is the obvious statement of the century. As soon as a player grasps the basic element of mafia, (s)he is aware that scum is going to have ulterior motives. Since the town doesn't know who scum is, every player could have said ulterior motives. The real question is, do you or don't you?

If I didn't know better I'd say that you're almost trying to hint at your position this early in the game. That, or you're saying that the aforementioned agreement which I can't find anywhere is a slight scumtell in our direction, in which case you should be a little more upfront, don't you think? Or, as a third option, you're simply calling it a null-tell, which is useless for town to hunt down scum.
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Goon
Scheherazade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Scheherazade »

@springlullaby: Even if you're mafia taking advantage of a weak post I made, I'm somewhat culpable because I gave you that opening. When it's appropriate to contradict you and say "no, that post had lots of content" I will. If I could improve, then why pick a fight with you when you could be town trying to help rather than mafia?

Either way, I'm keeping our exchange in the back of my mind. If you do anything else that strikes me as slightly off, I'll remember this. Don't think I've swallowed it whole.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”