Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:47 am

Post by Battle Mage »

yeh. I felt it was a case of protesting too much. I guess i should be claiming soon? :roll:

Also, are you really claiming a PR??

BM
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:52 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

Battle Mage wrote:yeh. I felt it was a case of protesting too much. I guess i should be claiming soon? :roll:

BM
Who is this post directed at?
The above written statement is pro-town.
dcorbe
dcorbe
Goon
dcorbe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:55 am

Post by dcorbe »

bionicchop2 wrote:
Battle Mage wrote:yeh. I felt it was a case of protesting too much. I guess i should be claiming soon? :roll:

BM
Nobody. Ignore it, I think its obvious by now that he's either stoned or he's just a gas bag in general. I much preferred the topic of conversation before he successfully derailed it when it was a debate about factions.
Rogue Shenanigans
Rogue Shenanigans
Goon
Rogue Shenanigans
Goon
Goon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:57 am

Post by Rogue Shenanigans »

dcorbe wrote:
bionicchop2 wrote:

BM
Nobody. Ignore it, I think its obvious by now that he's either stoned or he's just a gas bag in general. I much preferred the topic of conversation before he successfully derailed it when it was a debate about factions.
I think the question is still best answered.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:01 am

Post by Cephrir »

BM
Do_you_not_have_my_win_condition_or_what...

Yes,_my_PR_is_having_a_broken_spacebar_ :roll:
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:03 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

dcorbe wrote: I much preferred the topic of conversation before he successfully derailed it when it was a debate about factions.
So what are your thoughts on the factions?

Do you think there is any upside to taking a mission from a faction? I don't know if accepting means you join or if it is a test to see how you perform, then they recruit.

I would think each night we would have 4 people (from the 4 factions) offered missions. If so, I would propose everybody rejecting missions the first night then reporting (if allowable) what missions they were offered.
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:04 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

Rogue Shenanigans wrote:
dcorbe wrote:
bionicchop2 wrote:

BM
You think a possible role fishing requires an answer?
Rogue Shenanigans
Rogue Shenanigans
Goon
Rogue Shenanigans
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:06 am

Post by Rogue Shenanigans »

bionicchop2 wrote:
Rogue Shenanigans wrote:
dcorbe wrote:
bionicchop2 wrote:

BM
You think a possible role fishing requires an answer?
I think that BM responded to you with someone who did not have a town win condition. Those pesky lawbreakers.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:07 am

Post by farside22 »

bionicchop2 wrote:
dcorbe wrote: I much preferred the topic of conversation before he successfully derailed it when it was a debate about factions.

Do you think there is any upside to taking a mission from a faction? I don't know if accepting means you join or if it is a test to see how you perform, then they recruit.

I would think each night we would have 4 people (from the 4 factions) offered missions. If so, I would propose everybody rejecting missions the first night then reporting (if allowable) what missions they were offered.
How would this help the game? We don't know who is offering the mission and I'm not sure who is running things, but reading the opening post it seems some of the missions could be important. Don't you think excepting the mission and seeing what happens and then talking about what mission we except might explain where we are at.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:08 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

Rogue Shenanigans wrote:
I think that BM responded to you with someone who did not have a town win condition. Those pesky lawbreakers.
I don't know what you are saying here.
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:10 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

farside22 wrote:
bionicchop2 wrote:

How would this help the game? We don't know who is offering the mission and I'm not sure who is running things, but reading the opening post it seems some of the missions could be important. Don't you think excepting the mission and seeing what happens and then talking about what mission we except might explain where we are at.
First we need to know if accepting = joining faction. I think factions are bad and if they are assigning / offering missions it is to advance their own needs, not the needs of the majority (mercenaries).
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:10 am

Post by Cephrir »

I_agree_with_Farside.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:17 am

Post by The Fonz »

Bionic: The point of being mercenaries is you're supposed to work for your own profit :)
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:19 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

ok. I didn't see anything that lead me to believe my own profit would win me the game.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:20 am

Post by farside22 »

Those few people will be charged with the duty of offering jobs to the rest of you each "night phase", as we'll call the second phase of the game. You may choose from any of the jobs you are offered, and then if you complete them, you will be rewarded for it.
Sounds like money to me. :D
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
chenhsi
chenhsi
Goon
chenhsi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:21 am

Post by chenhsi »

Mastermind of Sin wrote:Many factions compete to have their goals and interests given importance above those of other groups, ranging from corporate conglomerates and mining companies to law enforcement agencies and criminal gangs.
I would assume from this that there are good factions and bad factions.

I want to know what would happen if a good faction recruits a scum.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:37 am

Post by The Fonz »

bionicchop2 wrote:ok. I didn't see anything that lead me to believe my own profit would win me the game.
I lean towards the belief that MoS games will not a) run entirely counter to the flavor and b) reward boring play.
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:49 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

chenhsi wrote:
Mastermind of Sin wrote:Many factions compete to have their goals and interests given importance above those of other groups, ranging from corporate conglomerates and mining companies to law enforcement agencies and criminal gangs.
I would assume from this that there are good factions and bad factions.

I want to know what would happen if a good faction recruits a scum.
Based on this, I agree.
Iron Man
Iron Man
Goon
Iron Man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:24 am

Post by Iron Man »

Wow. I am realy late on the pickup here.

Ok, here's my thing. I think this setup is kinda of a four way gang war. The freelancers (the uninformed majority) can do one of two things. Either a) join a faction (mafia clan, gang, whatever you want to call it) and win with that faction or b) somehow band together with all the other freelancers and destroy the factions by not accepting any missions at night and lynching faction members during the day.

And I still didnt get an answer to the relevance of our locations.
I'm back.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:27 am

Post by The Fonz »

I would suggest that it's fairly likely there's out and out scum in the game, and that we'll need to take on missions to achieve the experience/money/whatever to defeat them. There has to be some incentive to actually, y'know, do stuff.
dcorbe
dcorbe
Goon
dcorbe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:31 am

Post by dcorbe »

bionicchop2 wrote:

This is a large *theme* game so you have to figure it's somewhat unlike mafia. I think the logical conclusion would be that that the win condition is when there's only one faction left.
Cavane
Cavane
Goon
Cavane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:35 am

Post by Cavane »

There's several (probably four) factions in this game. I would assume that not all 4 are night-killing mafia groups who can recruit townies. That'd be a bit nuts, but who knows. So I'm assuming there's a split, and probably 2/2, with good factions and mafia factions. Does anyone more familiar with the freelancer universe know of it would support being split into scummy/non-scummy factions? Or am I reaching too much here?
Having played Freelancer extensively, I will point out that in the game, there are numerous factions, far too many to be included in this game. They are -usually- confined to a single sector. Typically the factions have an obvious lawful or unlawful alignment. Example would be a sector's police force, or a drug-running cartel. In the game, you can do jobs for these factions and doing so will increase your standing with them, while usually lowering your standing with opposing group(s). Another way of increasing standing is paying a bribe.

So yes, there could definitely be scummy/non-scummy factions. I could also see a 3rd possible alignment in the Xenos. They were a group that were at odds with everyone else. I could possibly see a SK-like role in this game from them.

As for current events, I know I've been away for quite a while, but BM's play here looks like most of the town-BM play I remember seeing from him.

I definitely agree that we need to hear about what jobs were offered every day. I do -not- agree on setting a blanket policy on turning down offers. All that will tell us is that some people received job offers, which we knew before confirmation was over.
Iron Man
Iron Man
Goon
Iron Man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:35 am

Post by Iron Man »

I disagree. If your a freelancer, then joining a faction isnt a requirment to win, so factions arent the only people that can win. The freelancers can win when anyone that could kill them is dead. The factions win when all other factions are dead.
I'm back.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:38 am

Post by The Fonz »

I'd agree with that. I'd suggest that if anyone accepted an obviously-scummy sounding offer, we're clearly going to take it into account, but until we know what kind of offers we're going to be receiving, it strikes me as absurd to set a blanket policy of turning them down.

Or, the short version for people on the go:
i wrote:$how me the money!
Snaps_the_Pirate
Snaps_the_Pirate
Goon
Snaps_the_Pirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:38 am

Post by Snaps_the_Pirate »

farside22 wrote:
Those few people will be charged with the duty of offering jobs to the rest of you each "night phase", as we'll call the second phase of the game. You may choose from any of the jobs you are offered, and then if you complete them, you will be rewarded for it.
Sounds like money to me. :D
That is how I was reading it as well. However money has no use in a mafia game, I'd guess the rewards would probably some type of temp PR. Missions will probably be a two-edged sword. Mission will help a faction, but the reward may end up hurting them. For example, say a mafia faction hires you to bump off a player. That helps the faction. But then you are rewarded with the ability to investigate someone the next night, that could potentially hurt that faction.
On the subject of locations, I’m guessing that to complete certain missions we will need to move around. Maybe you get a mission to kill a certain player, but you have to be in the same sector to do so.
Again all of this is just guesses so feel free to disagree or better yet punch holes in my theory.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”