[OLD] Open Setup Discussion and Nominations

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:38 am

Post by mith »

Fiasco wrote:Does this mean the SK can say "I want to block the vig-blocker and the cop-blocker, but not the doc-blocker"? I didn't intend it that way, but I could see it working as well.
That's the way I interpreted it, but I can correct it if you like. It would give the SK a bit more flexibility though.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:57 am

Post by Fiasco »

It's probably best to leave it like you were interpreting it. "When in doubt, decide in favor of the SK", and so on.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:00 am

Post by Thok »

I'd be willing to second a nomination of dethy or double dethy. If somebody wants to do a variation on what actually happened in Twomz's double dethy game (8 cops 2 scum, scum have one shot to recruit a cop on some fixed night) I'd think about nominating that also.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:48 am

Post by mith »

More nominations would be good. Thinking a small (5-8) game would be best for the next signup, if it's a choice between several tied in nominations.

Thoughts on how the Open list is going so far?
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:15 am

Post by Twomz »

thok wrote:I'd be willing to second a nomination of dethy or double dethy. If somebody wants to do a variation on what actually happened in Twomz's double dethy game (8 cops 2 scum, scum have one shot to recruit a cop on some fixed night) I'd think about nominating that also.
:(
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:27 am

Post by Thok »

I think the idea behind the tweaks you made could have worked; the (valid) complaint people had was that you made the tweaks while the game was in progress. If you had made that part of the initial setup, people wouldn't have minded playing it.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:44 am

Post by Patrick »

2 mafia
4 townies
1 roleblocker

But actually I think pie c9 would also be worth running again;good setup.
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
Brutal Assassin
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:57 am

Post by Brutal Assassin »

Hard thing about RB in a game with 2 mafia is even if he knows who they are he only has a 50% chance of figuring out who will make the kill.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:06 am

Post by Patrick »

Yes but I think it would be overpowered if the roleblocker could stop a kill by picking either one of the scum. In this case the roleblocker is part doc, and part cop. He can't confirm someones innocence (unless there's only one scum left) but he can pretty much find a guilty.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:16 am

Post by pablito »

Hmm...to expand on Patrick's idea:

3 Mafia (2 goons and 1 Mafia RB)
2 Roleblockers
7 Vanilla townies.

The Mafia RB prevents the pro-town roleblockers from claiming and trying to openly plan their roleblocking together, but the pro-town roleblockers can still try to hit the killing mafiate. At the same time, multiple roleblockers could be a good training exercise for an intermediate mod, but would be a nightmare for a new mod. Hmm....just throwing the idea out. I like Patrick's idea, but I don't think it's suitable for a seven-player setup.
Sup, later.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:21 am

Post by Patrick »

How does a RB stand strength wise? Better/worse than a cop? In the 7 player game at times it might be able to carry out the combined doc/cop roles very well, plus if the RB is forced to claim early, they still have a smallish chance of saving themselves. Slightly higher numbers might be better.
Brutal Assassin
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:34 pm

Mafia GF
Mafia Cop Blocker
Mafia Doc Blocker
Mafia RB Blocker
Cop
Doc
RB
Vig
5 Townies

Obviously, a cop blocker can only block the cop, doc blocker can only block the doc, etc.

If the roleblocker blocks a mafia, the blocking protection is blocked (Meaning, if a cop blocker blocked a cop but was blocked by the roleblocker, the cop would still make his action, unless, of course, the RB was blocked by the RoleBlocker Blocker.)

This will make for an interesting game because the mafia is trying to find who is which role, and may actually protect them once they figure out, with the knowledge that they can just block them until that mafia person happens to die. It stresses the importance of the mafia figuring out which of the town is what.

Would this setup be too hard on scum though? Not sure if the blocking system set in place would even be used by the scum.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:38 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

Brutal Assassin wrote:Mafia GF
Mafia Cop Blocker
Mafia Doc Blocker
Mafia RB Blocker
Cop
Doc
RB
Vig
5 Townies

This will make for an interesting game because the mafia is trying to find who is which role, and may actually protect them once they figure out, with the knowledge that they can just block them until that mafia person happens to die. It stresses the importance of the mafia figuring out which of the town is what.

Would this setup be too hard on scum though? Not sure if the blocking system set in place would even be used by the scum.
No way, that scum group is powerful. 4/13 and loaded with blockers. If the vig misses once the game can be over before day 3. Scum would definitely use that system or they're stupid, if nothing else they can block the town randomly.
Brutal Assassin
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:54 pm

How would you suggest balancing such a setup? Some more townies?

I don't know how effective their blocks would be, especially since it is open setup and the town would be aware that a mass claim is disasterous.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:14 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

Brutal Assassin wrote:How would you suggest balancing such a setup? Some more townies?

I don't know how effective their blocks would be, especially since it is open setup and the town would be aware that a mass claim is disasterous.
I'd add a few townies at a minimum.

It's true that townies won't want to claim, but the cop and RB collect information that they need to convey somehow. There is strategy on both sides. The cop wants to provide his info without outing himself while the scum are trying to guess who he is.

Even if the scum had no abilities, 4/13 is iffy. The town does have plenty of power roles, but they don't have much room to make mistakes.
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:59 pm

Post by Twomz »

Make a "bouncer" who when targetted by any RBer is told that he was targetted by a roleblocker and can himself target someone else to be RBed (town aligned of course). Also a 1shot rezzing townie could even it up a bit, gives the town a guaranteed innocent and a "reset" if something goes wrong.
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:19 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Or add in a pro-town tracker. Considering the large numbers of people who are targeting other people, that could be quite interesting.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:24 am

Post by Fiasco »

nominate: 7p vengeful

Would Gambits III (possibly with some changes compared to the earlier Gambitses) fit in this queue?

What about a Bad Idea Mafia rerun?
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:12 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

I think Gambits needs some work. I don't think either run was very successful in deterring mass claim, or making it likely that scum could fake claim safely.

What you could do, I think, is come up with 20ish pro-town roles, randomly leave out 6 of them, and tell the scum groups which roles were left out specifically. (Probably give 3 to each, so they don't realize which claims are scum claims.) That makes a D1 mass claim less useful, even if you use Gambits 2-style role reveal.

I don't think Bad Idea qualifies as a Normal game...
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:46 am

Post by Fiasco »

nominate: Pie C9 except the blocker doesn't work on the cop

Here's another one that might not be normal enough:

Bitter Medicine Mafia

9 pro-town doctors
1 mafia killer
1 mafia doctor
1 serial killer doctor

The mafia killer and serial killer can make a kill attempt each night. Everyone except the mafia killer can make a protection attempt each night. A single protect prevents a nightkill, but
multiple protects are deadly
. Exception: for the serial killer, protects are never deadly, and any positive number of protects prevents a nightkill.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:31 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Fiasco wrote:
nominate: Pie C9 except the blocker doesn't work on the cop
What's the motivation behind this? This seems to make the blocker almost useless. Assuming the cop is out but the doc isn't, the blocker is only useful if he hits the doc the same night that the mafia tries to kill the cop; if the blocker misses the doc, the scum lose their kill for the night. I wonder if it wouldn't be better for scum to just try to kill the doc.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:51 am

Post by pablito »

I'd been thinking about how to translate the game played in the film Cry_Wolf into an open setup and what rules would work to balance it out (since the numbers in the film were very hopeless for the wolf).

So 7-player Nightless setup
1 wolf 6 townies

Rules:
Instead of a traditional voting process, players may nominate anyone they think is the wolf. However, a player may only nominate one other player during the entire game, so they should use it wisely.

Once a player is nominated - the cases are brought out. Then there is a vote between two people: the nominee and the nominator. One of these two must be voted out.

Only four rounds are played out (leaving an endgame of 2 townies and one wolf). If the wolf isn't voted out by the end of the fourth round, he wins. Going further would be too tough for the wolf to win. So it's assumed the wolf can kill two townies in endgame.

Win condition is to be the person who successfully won the vote when the wolf is lynched. Therefore the winner is the person who either successfully nominated the wolf or be the person who was successfully nominated by the wolf (and later turned the vote around). There is only one winner in the game so playing under the radar won't work for townies.

Perhaps the setup might work better with 6 players but I just thought that would be too small of a game.
Sup, later.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:46 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

nominate again: 5p vengeful
because it is a small game

I'm concerned that taking signups for multiple open games at once runs the risk of larger games (especially vanilla) stalling there, to the extent that replacements are needed right out of the gate.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:28 am

Post by Patrick »

nominate: venge, pie c9
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:40 pm

Post by IH »

Nominating a 5 player Venge? Isn't that Open 7 (which I'm in)?

Would a

3 mafia (Cop, Doc, Roleblocker
9 town (Cop, Doc, Roleblocker, 6 vanilla)

Be too out of the ordinary? Or is that to unbalanced?
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”