Newbie 917 - Game over.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:09 am

Post by Zorblag »

Vote count 1.4

The numbers by the voters indicate the order in which the vote was cast. If two or more players are tied for the most votes to lynch at the deadline the tiebreaker will be the player who has the earliest active vote.

Mysterious Mystery Man: 4: Super Awesome Mega Pimp! (10), Civil Scum (11), Mustilicor (14), Andrius (15)
Mustilicor: 1: thatguy00 (3)
thatguy00: 1: Exilon (6)
Super Awesome Mega Pimp!: 1: Mysterious Mystery Man (12)
Antifinity: 1: The Quintastic One (13)

Not voting: Antifinity

With 9 players alive it takes 5 to lynch. Currently Mysterious Mystery Man would be lynched at deadline. Deadline is 10:00 PM EST/7:00 PM PST on Friday, March 12th. Deadline Countdown

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Last edited by Zorblag on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exilon
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:25 am

Post by Exilon »

I'll just take this:
Andrius wrote: How is it possible to no-lynch? Everyone's voted for someone, and there's no possible way to tie, with the alpha-vote. Explain please.
and tie it with this:
Andrius wrote:You want me to unvote? I'll do it, though it'll look scummy.
I want two people to tell me to unvote, or I won't do it.
Because if I unvote then two people would still have to vote for MMM, painting themselves scummy. What are we supposed to do, not lynch anyone for fear of being seen as scummy? Then the mafia will NK us one by one while we wave "No Lynch" signs all day.
First, answering that "no Lynch" thing. Mustilicor actually said we were at NO risk for a NO lynch. XD And precisely because almost all of us are voting someone right now; and we all have some suspicions.
Also, you're worrying quite a bit if your actions will be seen as "scummy" or not. (Ironically, for some people that's a huge scum tell.). I don't think it's correct to base your thoughts or actions first and foremost on the possibility that they will be interpreted as scummy.
The objective of this game is to scumhunt accurately; as such, one can conclude that their thoughts and actions should firstly be oriented by that guideline. By worrying whether you will be seen as scummy or not deviates you from that purpose.
Instead of saying "if 2 or more people tell me to unvote, I will"; think about it yourself and decide what is the appropriate thing you should do, based on the village's best interest. If you have a good reasoning to unvote, you'll be able to defend yourself even if people question you.

I'm not telling you to unvote, I'm asking for someone to unvote because I am afraid of a speed lynching that would take away precious time, posts, and a player. I would not worry about it if I knew I could trust everyone; but obviously; I can't (there's at least the chance that thatguy00 pops up and hammers, as I've stated. for me, that's a good enough reason to not keep someone at L-1.)
Obviously, it will still be a matter of life or death for MMM because someone can just as easily put his vote back on him. As long as there's FoS, there's the 'danger of lynching', and it should be as much of a threat as being in L-1.
Feels like I've been here before.
Mustilicor
Mustilicor
Goon
Mustilicor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:36 am

Post by Mustilicor »

Nngh. You really are right, Exilon. I'm just being stubborn because I want to stand behind the action of taking him to L-2. But.. fine, fine, I'll tell my ego to shut up for now. Because L-2 isn't the issue anymore - L-1 is. If I don't want to risk him being hammered yet, I should logically take action to prevent that.

Even if I would rather someone else did it. >_>

Un--

wait! Andrius is still here! Maybe I can get him to suck it up instead of me. <_< >_> But agh, that's pointless. Influencing someone to remove their vote comes down to the same thing as doing this.

Unvote

(Guys, my pride is bucking
so hard
against this, you don't even know. FoS is still pointing at MMM! And it is a very stern, waggling FoS.
Just so you know
.)

How is it possible to no-lynch? Everyone's voted for someone, and there's no possible way to tie, with the alpha-vote. Explain please.
Exactly what Exilon just said.
And.. try not to be too preoccupied with seeming 'scummy'. It's good to avoid being lynched, yeah, but your primary objective should be town-based, not self-based. If a townie is lynched and flips townie, everyone gets a chance to look at their arguments again and see them from another perspective, so it's not a huge hit to the town to lose a person through suspicion garnered by playing as pro-townly as possible. Only avoid drawing suspicion when that's ALL you would do with a particular post or action; putting a target on your head is distracting and something to be avoided if it's one of the only factors to consider. (I am looking at you with this bit of advice, Antifinity, if you happen to be townie.)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:42 am

Post by Andrius »

UNVOTE

There.
Done deal.
And I have no qualms with revoting for him, let that be known.
Sorry I'm being really b!tchy today; this girl is driving me crazy. >:|

Reasons for voting:
-We're not getting anywhere sitting here.
-I personally think that Anti and MMM are the scum.
-MMM has more of a "fanbase" than Anti does.
-MMM has more experience than Anti, and should be eliminated first.

Reasons for unvoting:
-I'm not the only one playing; we're all in this together, and as such, I should give the other players the time they want to analyze the situation.

My Goal:
-To act unemotionally; or to not let my playing style be meddled with based on my mood.

I think that's good for now.
And I really want to know what C.S. thinks of me now. XP
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Exilon
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:56 am

Post by Exilon »

Musti just took unvoting to a whole new dramatical level. I have never seen such a hearfelt unvote in my life; for that, I commend you. You're like a hero to me right now. xD
Ok, enough jokes. I'm sure everyone else is going to have a heart attack when they come back and find half a page full of the stuff I posted and that they will be forced to read. xD (I had said enough jokes, but I guess that wasn't the end of it.) With that in mind, let's just see where this leads.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:53 am

Post by Zorblag »

Mod Note: McGriddle replaces thatguy00.

Thanks McGriddle!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:58 am

Post by McGriddle »

Hay guiz :)

@ Mod: You're welcome ;)
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Antifinity
Antifinity
Goon
Antifinity
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Post by Antifinity »

Vote Exilon

Alright, you've made it clear I'm going about this all wrong.

It would be very convenient for me if I was scum, so someone could tell me how I was supposed to act normally.

The only thing I have figured out so far is that Exilon wants to prevent a lynching of a particular player other than himself. Now I know the lynching wasn't for a good reason, but telling other people to unvote someone is the one thing that a perfect scum player would be able to do, that no one else would be able to know for sure.

Also when I said Doctor way back when, I meant whatever the investigating role is. I've only ever played Werewolf, and so I'm still having trouble adapting all the terms, I was thinking Seer and well... yeah.

I do also understand that the investigator shouldn't come out, since we don't know if we have a doctor. It was just a hypothetical situation.

Sorry for being such a scummy newb, or a confusing scum, depending on which you believe.[/b]
Antifinity
Antifinity
Goon
Antifinity
Goon
Goon

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Post by Antifinity »

Vote Exilon

Alright, you've all made it clear I'm going about this wrong.

It would be very convenient for me if I was scum, so someone could tell me how I was supposed to act normally.

The only thing I have figured out so far is that Exilon wants to prevent a lynching of a particular player other than himself. Now I know the lynching wasn't for a good reason, but telling other people to unvote someone is the one thing that a perfect scum player would be able to do, that no one else would be able to know for sure.

Also when I said Doctor way back when, I meant whatever the investigating role is. I've only ever played Werewolf, and so I'm still having trouble adapting all the terms, I was thinking Seer and well... yeah.

I do also understand that the investigator shouldn't come out, since we don't know if we have a doctor. It was just a hypothetical situation.

Sorry for being such a scummy newb, or a confusing scum, depending on which you believe.
Antifinity
Antifinity
Goon
Antifinity
Goon
Goon

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:15 pm

Post by Antifinity »

Sorry for the double post, and hello to McGriddle.
Exilon
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:52 pm

Post by Exilon »

Antifinity wrote: The only thing I have figured out so far is that Exilon wants to prevent a lynching of a particular player other than himself. Now I know the lynching wasn't for a good reason, but telling other people to unvote someone is the one thing that a perfect scum player would be able to do, that no one else would be able to know for sure.
..Wait. Wait, what? xD .. I want to prevent a lynching of a particular player... other than... Myself?
You're saying I don't want another determined player to be lynched other than me? You're saying I want to be lynched? ... Ok, I'm confused.

Also, a small clarification: I don't want people to get lynched, I want people to not get speed-lynched without the chance for other players to have their say and specially the one who's going to get lynched. That's why I ASKED for an Unvote.
Unvoting does not mean that a player has revoked his/her suspicion, and I think it's been left pretty clear that neither Andrius neither Mustilicor have revoked that suspicion.
I hope I've explained myself clearly (if not, just say it and I'll try again. As I've said sometime before, I'm not the greatest explainer out there xD)
Mysterious Mystery Man
Mysterious Mystery Man
Goon
Mysterious Mystery Man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:07 pm

Post by Mysterious Mystery Man »

Hi McGriddle! *Waves*
Antifinity wrote:The only thing I have figured out so far is that Exilon wants to prevent a lynching of a particular player other than himself. Now I know the lynching wasn't for a good reason, but telling other people to unvote someone is the one thing that a perfect scum player would be able to do, that no one else would be able to know for sure.

Um...

Okay...

I still see him more as confused newbie than newbie scum, although that statement was worthy of Dickens.

I realize my views on Antifinity are the top reason for my scumosity, but I think I've developed a sense to tell newbies from scum. I'm going with my gut.
Also known as: cheater_1
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:28 pm

Post by McGriddle »

Mysterious Mystery Man wrote:Hi McGriddle! *Waves*
Antifinity wrote:The only thing I have figured out so far is that Exilon wants to prevent a lynching of a particular player other than himself. Now I know the lynching wasn't for a good reason, but telling other people to unvote someone is the one thing that a perfect scum player would be able to do, that no one else would be able to know for sure.

Um...

Okay...

I still see him more as confused newbie than newbie scum, although that statement was worthy of Dickens.

I realize my views on Antifinity are the top reason for my scumosity, but I think I've developed a sense to tell newbies from scum. I'm going with my gut.
Hi :D

Analysis coming. Hold on to your wheel caps and ferrets.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Mustilicor
Mustilicor
Goon
Mustilicor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 pm

Post by Mustilicor »

Exilon wrote: Musti just took unvoting to a whole new dramatical level. I have never seen such a hearfelt unvote in my life; for that, I commend you. You're like a hero to me right now. xD
Ahahahaha. Thank you for giving me that little nudge to set me straight. It's way too easy to let emotion overtake logic sometimes.
What is this I don't even

If you are scum, Antifinity, you are doing a very good job of being too baffling to seriously suspect.

McGriddle! Hurray! Hello! I am so happy you are here. Maybe soon we'll actually be able to get this show on the road.
Mustilicor
Mustilicor
Goon
Mustilicor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Mustilicor »

Erkk, I meant to move that to tinypic so I wouldn't be hotlinking. Oh well I guess. This site isn't active enough to kill that guy's bandwidth, I should hope.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Post by Andrius »

Wow. I unvoted and look what happened. Antifinity got hella' smart and is confusing everyone. :P

Heya' McGriddle.

I have no idea what to do now... 78% we lynch a vanilla townie.
The Quintastic One
The Quintastic One
Goon
The Quintastic One
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Post by The Quintastic One »

I actually think Antifinity has a point here. Not a strong point, kind of a distracting point, but a point none the less. An experienced scum player could easily be subtlety discouraging against town lynches under the guise of "we don't want to mislynch", but in reality that's actually a strong tactic that can be used to derail the town with fear of mislynching. Because if we're afraid to vote for anyone due to the possibility of a mislynch, then the game drags on, players lose interest, and scumhunting comes to a grinding halt. Is it likely in this scenario? Not very. But it's an interesting point that Antifinity brings to the table that makes me lean more towards extremely nervous new player town than way too easy scum. Almost like he's too scummy to be scum.

But my vote will remain on Anti for now all the same. Triple M's super defensiveness definitely is within my sights at this point, as I think that's worth looking at. But he's safely at L-3 for now, which gives McGriddle a good chance to post their analysis and we can see what a fresh perspective tells us.

And btw, Mustilicor is definitely an early candidate for MVP of this game. Town or scum, he's been playing great.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:05 pm

Post by Andrius »

I'm still leaning Anti + MMM. Unless we get any great analysis or someone says something hintful, I don't see us getting anywhere anytime soon.
And btw, Mustilicor is definitely an early candidate for MVP of this game. Town or scum, he's been playing great.
I'd like to second this.
The Quintastic One
The Quintastic One
Goon
The Quintastic One
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:04 pm

I agree. Although I think your vote for the sake of voting for a guy who has the most votes on him is ultra scummy, I'm far more inclined at this point to believe in a Anti + MMM scumteam. That's why my vote still lies on Anti. But pending on what McGriddle has to say, things could swing in the favor of anyone right now.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Post by Andrius »

Yeah, I really screwed myself over with that one line. Oh well, I'm still a n00b. XD

Can I be a replacement if this is my first game, or is that not allowed?
Antifinity
Antifinity
Goon
Antifinity
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Post by Antifinity »

Oh dear. I really need to reread my posts a couple of times before I put them up.

I'm not saying Exilon is scum, but the "asking someone to unvote out of fear" thing is the only significantly scummy action anyone has taken.

I don't expect anyone else to actually vote for Exilon on that little scrap of evidence, but I'd like to hang my vote somewhere, and thats all I can find :-(
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Goon
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:17 pm

Post by Super Awesome Mega Zord! »

Mustilicor wrote:Sorry about that - my wording is a little.. strange.. sometimes. What I was saying is this: I'm slightly concerned about the fact that you failed to satisfactorily explain why you were asking such a vague question. Had you claimed that you did it entirely to judge his reaction to pressure, you would have neatly confirmed my hypothesis regarding your actions and wiped away nearly any suspicion I had of you. But you did not do this. Instead, you completely dodged her request for an explanation by just saying that MMM should be able to answer it.

The fact is, though, if you are using an erratic, unpredictable pressuring tactic on purpose, admitting that you are doing so will all but ensure it doesn't work from here on out. That's why my concern is half-hearted. Immediate transparency isn't
always
the most pro-town move, in my (admittedly neophyte) opinion.
Still not sure what this tactic you're talking about is all about, but no, I'm not asking that question as part of a plan I want to keep secret. I only asked it because I thought the answer would be informative, plain and simple.
Mysterious Mystery Man wrote:
SAMP! wrote:But the question I posed to him isn't binary, and I have a hard time believing he finds my vote for him precisely as scummy as my vote for Exilon.
It's not that you voted me, it's that you were pretty serious about the other vote.
See? It was informative. 8-)

MMM:
I still don't know what you find scummy about the Exilon vote. I asked him a serious question about something I found strange, he gave me a reasonable answer, I backed off. What part of that do you find suspicious?

I'd still like an answer to this question as well:
I wrote::| What made you think my vote for Exilon was random? I posed a couple non-random questions alongside it.
TQO, Andrius, anyone else who suspects Anti:
I think he's town. To me it looks like he's being overly honest, and saying things that a more experienced player would know better than to say. Scum are very rarely that honest, therefore I doubt he's scum.

Could you explain why you believe I'm wrong in this regard?
8-) You can call me Mad Cool Ballin' King! for short. 8-)
The Quintastic One
The Quintastic One
Goon
The Quintastic One
Goon
Goon

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:07 am

Upon further thought into it I am starting to lean that way myself. Like I said above it just seems TOO obvious that he could be scum. Even a new scum player would/should have enough know how to know that asking questions as to how they can save themselves from seeming scummy is too obvious a clue.

But I still lean on Anti for the sole fact that any self respecting townie that has read his role knows he is town. There is no reason why Anti would have to be wishy washy with us in terms of talking about "whether or not I was scum" or "if I were scum, or not scum depending on the situation" ect. ect. ect. If you're town you know you're town, providing variables for us to consider whether or not that is fact is very suspicious. And even new players have no reason why they would do so within good reason.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:43 am

Post by Civil Scum »

Sorry guys, been really busy with work.

A lot of posts to look at already...

Nice quick replacement with McGriddles.

We seem to have several newbies who show a pretty good grasp/knack for the game and are already starting to get their heads around it. Got lucky with this game ;)

Or unlucky if anybody could be playing a decent first game as scum...
mmm wrote: ...but I think I've developed a sense to tell newbies from scum. I'm going with my gut.
Wow. I definitely wish I had this sense. It's often a difficult part of games in the newbie forum to distinguish between newbie-antics and scum-antics. General consensus is usually when someone (in this case antifinity) does something which could go either way, you try not to focus on it at that point in the game, or try to ignore it and "file" it away for later as it were, and wait to see if it persists or is part of a pattern of play.

Um, is this sense
all
gut? Could you possibly expand on this in any detail?

Will catch up fully and post later today.
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:54 am

Post by McGriddle »

Antifinity wrote:So if I wanted to make a post that would make me seem less scummy, and more townie, I'd want to post some of my theories on who is scum, and who is innocent, right?

Well, I'd think that someone who jumps from bandwagon to bandwagon might be scum then... but they could also be an innocent townie trying to put pressure on someone, in the hopes of getting them to reveal their alignment. If I was scum, or if I thought I might be scum, I wouldn't even read my role PM until the first night though. That way your behavior will be perfectly innocent.

I guess the downside to that method would be that you couldn't sneakily conspire to protect your teammate from a lynching.

Since that is the only difference between a perfectly acting innocent, and a perfectly acting scum, wouldn't the only reliable method be seeing who has confidence in another person's role?

And the only way of luring someone into giving away information like that is to accuse people and see who sticks up for them! Okay, I think I get this.

In that case, I suspect MMM for the same reasons given by Mustilicor. The curious point for me though, is why Mustilicor didn't vote that way. Is there an advantage to not voting that I'm not seeing?
This seems to be a lot of fluff. Do you not have your own views on Mustilicor? I haven't seen him do anything TOO scummy, so the fact that you would have suspicions on him based off another players actions baffles me.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”