Mafiascum Film Group: thestatusquo

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:51 pm

Post by Simenon »

Yep, Pokerface's turn. I'll update the title when he recommends something.
SEND THE VECTOIDS
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:27 pm

Post by Simenon »

Or we can skip to TSQ.
Last edited by Simenon on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
SEND THE VECTOIDS
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:03 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

Maybe you should PM people to let them know it's their turn to suggest?
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:24 am

Post by Farkshinsoup »

/in
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:09 am

Post by PokerFace »

Thanx for the pm simenon. Sorry I ain't be following along as well as I should have. There are 3 films that I like that have been arround for awhile and need more exposure. Do I need to get in line more than once? Can I say them all at once or can I only ever do one. If I can only pick 1 I think I know what I'll pick and let you know in my next post.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:47 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

PokerFace wrote:Thanx for the pm simenon. Sorry I ain't be following along as well as I should have. There are 3 films that I like that have been arround for awhile and need more exposure. Do I need to get in line more than once? Can I say them all at once or can I only ever do one. If I can only pick 1 I think I know what I'll pick and let you know in my next post.
I think 1 per person is the set precedent.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:52 am

Post by Simenon »

Pick one. Thanks, PF.
SEND THE VECTOIDS
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:50 am

Post by PokerFace »

Well if you look at my earlier post in thread I suggest 2 of the three there ("Identity" and "Bonfire of the Vanities") those 2 are reall good. But the one I don't suggest there that should be for the film group is something I saw more recently then both of those. Its a movie about a very well calculated bank robbery.

"Inside Man"
http://www.moviefone.com/movie/inside-m ... psis?flv=1
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:58 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Why are we skipping me?
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:12 am

Post by PokerFace »

You're still next after me, I think Shea. Checked the first post. Doesn't looklike you are being skipped.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 am

Post by cicero »

Inside man is a very good, well constructed film. Clive Owen's beginning monologue to the camera instantly commands your attention. I'm glad you picked it. I'll look forward to seeing it again and refreshing my memory of it.
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:34 am

Post by Farkshinsoup »

Need to check this out again, but I remember it as being good, not great.

Anything with Clive Owen rules, though.
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:47 am

Post by rolandofthewhite »

Netflixed!
Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos.
Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:03 am

Post by Cybele »

Weep not for me, for I am dead.
Last edited by Cybele on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Saw it twice, the first time in NY on vacation, in a cinema a few minute's walk from the main set. That was pretty cool.

Overall it's a very good genre film, nice to see something different form Spike Lee, entertainting and original plot, and Clive Owen is indeed awesome (the height of his carreer is probably "Shoot 'em Up", which is the funnest action flick ever).

(Spoiler!)
The one thing I really didn't like is how the plot wound up talking about the Holocaust, which felt like an annoying attempt at forcing social implications on a bankrobbing flick.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Post by Oman »

hoepfully will have time for tjis.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Tovarish
Tovarish
Goon
Tovarish
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:57 pm

Post by Tovarish »

I'll be honest, inside man has one of the funniest lines from any movie I've ever seen-

"Twenty four hours from now I'm gonna be in a hot tub suckin' down a pina colada with two girls named amber and tiffany.
No, twenty four hours from now you're gonna be in a prison shower with two guys named Ramon and Jesus. that thing you're suckin' on, it ain't a pina colada."

That said, I agree with Ragingrabbit- I didn't watch inside man because I wanted a social commentary on remnants of Nazism, I wanted to see a good heist movie. Not that Inside Man wasn't, but it tried to be something it wasn't.

Kinda like a model who wears glasses with no just glass lenses because she thinks she needs to look smarter. Great without the effort.
Not Present 2/19-2/20
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Post by cicero »

Tovarish wrote: Kinda like a model who wears glasses with no just glass lenses because she thinks she needs to look smarter. Great without the effort.
Bad analogy since that effort makes me want that model about, oh, twice as much. ;)
Tovarish
Tovarish
Goon
Tovarish
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:13 pm

Post by Tovarish »

Hey Rabbit, if you ever get a chance, could you explain to me what the hell actually happened in shoot 'em up?
Not Present 2/19-2/20
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:34 pm

Post by Oman »

cicero wrote:
Tovarish wrote: Kinda like a model who wears glasses with no just glass lenses because she thinks she needs to look smarter. Great without the effort.
Bad analogy since that effort makes me want that model about, oh, twice as much. ;)
/Sign.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Post by Fritzler »

i want to say that I love spike lee, even though he has been getting kind of crazy. I was really glad to see him branch out and do something new. I found it weird that they left his name out of any preview, and heard that some people actually walked out of the theater when they saw he was a director. Do people honestly dislike spike that much?
Surfs up dude.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Post by PokerFace »

I like some of his stuff but not all of it.

I also liked "Inside Man's" side plot involved with nazi stuff. Gave me almost noble impression of the bank robberies since they didn't do it just for cash. There were good jokes, alot of action, a good smart scheme crime, and an interesting side/back story. Nothing I didn't like in the film. I believe all of us here likes it when a good plan comes together with their team. We all like fooling the town somtimes
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:15 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

PokerFace wrote:I also liked "Inside Man's" side plot involved with nazi stuff. Gave me almost noble impression of the bank robberies since they didn't do it just for cash.
But why do bank robbers have to turn up all noble? Why be so scared of an immoral protagonist? Turning the guy getting robbed into an evil Nazi helper felt totally redundant to me.
PokerFace wrote:...and an interesting side/back story.
Which one? Other than the Nazi stuff, the only sidestory I recall is a really stupid scene where Washington talks to his wife at home who's all half naked and hot for him. Not to sound negative though, the main plot's awesome and that's the most important thing.

Fritz -I can understand why some people hate Spike Lee, sorta neutral on him myself. Advertising his name on a thriller would've definitely hurt the sales, I think.
Tovarish wrote:Hey Rabbit, if you ever get a chance, could you explain to me what the hell actually happened in shoot 'em up?
You mean, like, the plot? Does it really matter? :P
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:44 am

Post by PokerFace »

Interesting side/back story was my poor way of describing how they/you found out about the nazi stuff and that bad guys ties too it. And how that did end up be3ing part of their heist.

I get what you guys are saying. It wasn't necessary. Bad guys who just steal things do captivate audiances. And yes that aspect of their plan was more awesome and the more greater appeal. I did enjoy the robbery more. I just have no qualms against the nazi stuff and felt it was a nice touch.

When you eat a cake what's your favorite part? Mine is the ice cream if that's there or the actual chocolate dough or filling. Frosting is not something I really need on a cake I can usually take it off. If involving the heist of the nazi stuff was the frosting I wouldn't of taken it off. I enjoyed it all with the rest of the cake. Only frosting I ever find edible is the kind that is also ice cream or just chocolate icing
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:50 am

Post by cicero »

PokerFace wrote: When you eat a cake what's your favorite part? Mine is the ice cream if that's there or the actual chocolate dough or filling. Frosting is not something I really need on a cake I can usually take it off. If involving the heist of the nazi stuff was the frosting I wouldn't of taken it off. I enjoyed it all with the rest of the cake. Only frosting I ever find edible is the kind that is also ice cream or just chocolate icing
Yes. But is the cake wearing sexy glasses?

Return to “General Discussion”