Newbie 945 GAME OVER SCUM WIN!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Newbie 945 GAME OVER SCUM WIN!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:08 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Newbie 945:

Most of you are new to this and are distressed to find out that several of your fellow town members have been murdered.

What exactly are you guys going to do about these murders? Why the most rational thing of course! Lynch the offenders with extreme prejudice!

Players alive:

Equinox
anathemakei

Devestation (SE)
Ellibereth (IC)

Players dead:

Captain Blackadder
(Vanilla Townie)
lynched day 1
Memnon
(Vanilla Townie)
killed night 1
Osman
(Mafia Goon)
lynched day 2
Robocopter87
(Vanilla Townie)
killed night 2
GroupThink
(Vanilla Townie)
lynched day 3
Netopalis
(Town Doctor)
killed night 3

The IC(s) are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.
[/b]
Last edited by Zachrulez on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:26 am, edited 14 times in total.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:08 am

Post by Zachrulez »

General Rules

Do not talk about the game outside of it unless your role allows you to.

Do not edit or delete your posts in anyway. (Assuming you have the power to do so.)

Do not quote any moderator pms sent to you by me. (This includes role pms.)

Feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns you have. I will make in game announcements if appropriate.

Do not use any font size other than normal please. I will warn violaters, and will modkill repeat offenders. Don't try to hide text or make it difficult to read either. (Also, absolutely no encrypted text of any kind.)

Once you're dead, stop typing. (I will allow one contentless "bah" post as an exception.)

Please treat the other players in the game with respect. I do not want to have to intervene if the game starts to get personal, but I will if I have to.

Do not talk about ongoing games please.

This is my color, don't use it.

I reserve the right to add, remove and change rules as I see fit to improve the quality of the game. I will also clarify the rules as needed. (Exceptions are rules that have a * next to them. These rules are required of newbie mods and not within my power to change. I will clarify them as necessary though.)

Modkills will end the day. (Breaking or pretending to break any rule on my ruleset may be grounds for this at my discretion. Your role will be changed to neutral survivor and you will automatically lose the game if you are modkilled, so be forewarned.)

Gameplay Rules

Each day the town decides on a lynch. You will require one half of the living players plus one in order to achieve a lynching majority. I will go out of my way to make sure you are aware of this number. Be aware that you must achieve this threshold for a lynch, even at deadline.

To vote please do so in this format
Vote: Lien
Please bold your vote and try to put it at the bottom of your post. (Not required but appreciated.) Failure to vote in the bold format may result in the vote not being counted. (At my discretion I will determine vote intent.)

Unvoting is appreciated, but not required. Please post it in bold if you do it.

No lynch is also allowed, under the same format.
Vote: No Lynch
A majority vote for no lynch will send the game into night without a lynch.

*Newbie games require a 3 week deadline from the start of the day. Generally, extensions are not allowed except for extreme circumstances. Be aware of this.

You are subject to a mod prod after 72 hours of inactivity. Players may request a prod after 48 hours themselves if they you haven't posted in that time frame. You will have 48 hours to respond to a prod before I start searching for a replacement. I will not acknowledge whether or not a prod has been picked up, but I will announce the prod.

If you are unable to meet the minimum posting requirements for any reason. Please let us know in thread. Don't leave us hanging.

Once a majority is reached, that player is lynched and can not be saved with unvotes. All players including the lynched player are free to continue posting until I get around to locking the thread.

Night will last a maximum of 3 days under normal circumstances. In order to prevent metagaming I will mass pm all living players when night falls to make sure everyone is still active in the game and has an opportunity to submit a night action.

Last and Most importantly, have fun!
Last edited by Zachrulez on Tue May 18, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:09 am

Post by Zachrulez »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:45 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Role pms are out. After everyone has confirmed, I will start day 1.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Devastation has yet to confirm, but 8 of you have, so I won't hold up the start of the game any longer.

So let's get the party started.

With 9 alive it's 5 to lynch.

Deadline will fall on May 16th at 8pm CST
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Hello, everybody! Welcome to the game! I'm Netopalis, one of your 2 ICs for this game along with Ellibereth. IC stands for "Inexperience-Challenged". Basically, we're experienced players who are serving here in something of a teaching role. The role of IC is unique, because we have something of a dual allegiance. On the one hand, we have a duty to teach, and on another, we have a duty to play to win for our faction, be it Mafia or Town. Essentially, here's how it works - we cannot lie about basic gameplay facts, such as whether it's right to no-lynch on D1 (It's not). We can, however, lie about our alignment or our suspicions.

Also, I should probably note that myself and Ellibereth have vastly different playstyles. My play leans heavily towards well-reasoned arguments. Ellibereth has his own thought process that goes into figuring out who to lynch. I think it incorporates a Ouija board, the blood of four churchmice and a ritual conducted in the abandoned graveyard at the edge of town. Regardless, we're probably going to but heads a lot. Both playstyles are somewhat well respected, and while I'll press everybody to explain their votes, including Ellibereth, remember that my playstyle is not the
only
way to play the game. It's just the best way. ;)

Following this post, I'm going to make two more. The first will contain a guide that I wrote on learning to play Mafia for beginners. You can read it or not - I'd recommend it, but I can't force you to.

I'm also going to post a series of questions. Most games begin with a series of random votes. I prefer to ask players questions and gauge their reactions. I do this as both scum and town, so it shouldn't be considered a tell pushing me into either the scum or town category. You can, however, look at my analysis and try to figure out why I'm doing what I'm doing, and guess my alignment from there.

So, best of luck to everybody! I look forward to meeting our newbies and I think that this is going to be an interesting game!
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Post by Netopalis »

How to Play Mafia: A Beginner's Guide
by Netopalis

Welcome to the game of Mafia! Understanding advanced Mafia strategy can be difficult and daunting when first joining the site. Luckily, once you start to get the hang of it, it becomes much, much easier. Since not everyone may be familiar with the style of play and rules on this site, what follows is a basic overview of how the game works. If you've played Mafia before, feel free to skip it.

At the beginning of the game, there are two factions: Mafia and The Town. Each has a different goal: The goal of the mafia is to eliminate all non-mafia players. The goal of the town is to eliminate all Mafia players. Each faction has a tool which it can use to achieve its goal. For the town, this tool is the lynch. At any time, a majority of players voting for another player to be lynched will eliminate that player and reveal whether or not they were in the Mafia. This also ends the "day" phase. The game is organized into "day" and "night" phases, and it is during the night that special actions are taken.
During this night phase, the Mafia will choose one person to eliminate. This is generally someone that the Mafia feels will be a threat to their continued existence, but there are many reasons that the Mafia can eliminate someone. Additionally, some players may have additional roles, such as the Cop, the Doctor and the Roleblocker. In Newbie games, the roleblocker is a mafia-aligned player who chooses another player at night. If the roleblocker chooses the doctor or the cop, that player's actions do not have effect during the night. The Cop has the ability to investigate one targeted player per night, identifying whether they are aligned with the town or the mafia. Finally, the doctor has the ability to protect one person per night. If the doctor chooses the person that the Mafia chooses to eliminate, no elimination happens that night. Regardless, once all night actions have resolved, the game reverts to the "day" phase.
The game continues until one of two situations happens. In the first scenario, the town lynches the final Mafia member. In this case, the town obviously wins. In the second scenario, the town lynches incorrectly at a point where, after the mafia kills, the mafia will have a majority and can openly direct the lynch. A doctor can prevent this scenario from occurring, but only if that doctor correctly targets the same person as the mafia.

Ideal play is heavily dependant upon the faction with which you are playing. To understand how to correctly play as town, though, you need to understand how to play as the mafia. The mafia has three motivations during the game. The first and most important motivation is to avoid detection. This is paramount above all other needs and is the primary driving force of mafia play. The second motivation is protection of teammates. If a mafia member can help steer the town away from his teammate without drawing suspicion on himself, he gains a huge advantage. Finally, the mafia needs to eliminate players that are a threat to their play.
Avoiding detection is easier than it sounds. Most players that are lynched are lynched due to poor reactions to suspicion. To successfully play as a member of the mafia, you must ALWAYS keep your cool. Personal attacks are never warranted, nor is excessive aggression. You need to at least appear to be the voice of reason in the town. Played correctly, the lynch can be as useful of a tool as the night kill - successful pressure put towards the right votes and against the right votes will gain credibility and put a superior mafia player in a hugely advantageous position.
One common question that new mafia-aligned players have about their play is how to choose who to kill at night. As a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I believe strongly in the elimination strategy, both for finding scum and figuring out who to kill. Start by taking a list of players from the front page:

Player 1
Player 2
Player 3
Player 4
Player 5

In this case, assume that player 1 is in the mafia. Therefore, you can eliminate him as a potential kill. This leaves you with the following list:

Player 2
Player 3
Player 4
Player 5

Next, you need to look at who it would be disadvantageous to kill. Player 3 has been, in this hypothetical, largely suspected by the town on the previous day. It's likely that they will be lynched in the future. Therefore, it's at the mafia's disadvantage to kill this player.

Player 2
Player 4
Player 5

Player 4 has generally been actively lurking. It's obvious that he won't be contributing a great deal to the town's correctly lynching.

Player 2
Player 5

Given two players whose killing does not disadvantage the mafia, it's time to make a judgment call. Some factors to consider include the following:

Who suspected who at the end of the last day? On one hand, you want to keep players around who are on the wrong track. On the other hand, by killing someone that suspected you, you immediately open yourself up to suspicion from the remaining players.

Who is likely to be a power role? Is there anyone who has claimed? Is it likely that there is a doctor? If it is likely that there is a doctor, it's a bad idea to kill off a claimed power role, because they'll most likely be protected. Instead, if a roleblock is available, use that on the claimed player. Otherwise, kill off confirmed innocents as soon as possible.

Who is the town's leader? Successfully offing the top player for the town makes the town scramble to find new footing. This can be incredibly useful.

Of course, there are a number of other criteria, but this should get you started.

When playing as town, you face a much more difficult task. Mafia members are, by nature, difficult to identify because they are trying to avoid just that. However, this very avoidance can be used against them. Some factors that might lead you to think that someone is scummy might include the following:

Very little content in posts - Mafia members often avoid trying to say anything seriously definite or productive because it is their goal to avoid detection. Publicly stating things which later turn out to be wrong can often lead to identification and lynching.

Waffling - Very similar to the above, but the mafia player likes to shield himself or herself with the majority. It's hard to attack someone for voting the same way that a majority of the town did. However, if someone seems to twist every time there's a shift in opinion, that player is either indecisive or mafia.

Generally trying to hide something - Often times, when reading someone's post, you get the feeling that they're trying to hide something from you. This can be indicative of either a power role or of mafia alignment.

Aggressiveness - Mafia members sometimes like to be aggressive because aggression often ends the day early with very little information going to the town. A player who is overly aggressive can sometimes be mafia, or they might just be an overzealous townie.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. Realistically, the game of Mafia comes down to a matter of opinion. You will probably get a gut reaction while reading player's posts. Your job after getting this reaction is figuring out why you suspect that person. There's usually a good reason. Reread the game and try to logically support your argument because, while you may be right, you need others to vote with you if you want a lynch.

Finally, I want to mention an important resource. There's a link at the top of the page to the MafiaScum Wiki. This is a wiki which contains information on various roles, (limited) player histories, strategy articles and a plethora of other important information. If you're unsure of the meaning of a particular word, role or phrase, consult the Wiki.

I hope this helps! Happy Scumhunting!

-Netopalis
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Alright. Here are my questions. I will be answering them once everybody else has answered. This is to prevent everybody else from looking at my answers and saying "Yeah, what he said." I don't want to influence your answers, of course, as it sort of eliminates the possibility of determining alignment based on the questions. Here they are:

1) Coke or Pepsi?
2) Why do you play Mafia?
3) Would you say that you are nervous right now? Why?
4) To the experienced players here, how would you describe your playstyle? To the inexperienced players, how would you describe your thought processes?
5) How many licks DOES it take to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie pop?
6) How do you determine who to trust?
7) Which is more important to you: Using power roles well or catching the scum without the help of power roles?

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Oh, and sorry, one last question, specifically for Memnon: Is your username a reference to Memnon Vanderbeam?

Devestation
Devestation
Goon
Devestation
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Post by Devestation »

1) Coke or Pepsi?
They both work, but Pepsi Max tastes too carbonated.

It's fun :)

No. It's a game.

4) To the experienced players here, how would you describe your playstyle? To the inexperienced players, how would you describe your thought processes?
not sure on "playstyle", but I only vote if I'm sure I'm right, and almost everything turns into WIFOM in my head.

5) How many licks DOES it take to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie pop?
I'm Australian, I don't know what that is.

Whoever gets proven townie.

7) Which is more important to you: Using power roles well or catching the scum without the help of power roles?
Catch as much scum with the former first.
I wrttoe htis sginautre wiht my elbwo.
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Post by Ellibereth »

Hello. I am your other IC.
IC stands for exactly what it sounds like : "ICK!" It is up to you to figure out why. All that "Inexperience-Challenged" is just a big joke the whole forum is playing on you.
Neto wrote: I think it incorporates a Ouija board, the blood of four churchmice and a ritual conducted in the abandoned graveyard at the edge of town.
MISSING THE KEY INGREDIENT.
Hint: It involves a hat, writing down names on a slip, putting them in the hat, shaking, and pulling out two. :wink:
1) Coke or Pepsi?
1. Coke.
2. Fun.
3. Nope.
4. Completely insane. :wink: The way I go about things is actually very mood dependent though, so we'll see.
5. None. I bite.
6. Town reads. And I get those with the Ouja board.
7. Get more satisfaction from the latter.

Vote: Neto
Must be done in every game we're in.
FLASH OF GREEN
Memnon
Memnon
Goon
Memnon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Post by Memnon »

1) Coke. I dunno why, just going with the taste buds.

2) I haven't played yet, but I think it will be fun.

3) Not really. Why?

4) My thought process right now is not much, besides examining Devestation's post for stuff. It will become more apparent later on.

5) Uhhh...I chew those.

6) I use every ounce of my not inconsiderable mental faculties to do this.

7) If you can lynch well without them, great, but I think proper use of power roles will make or break a game for the Town.

8) Lol no. Ever read the Iliad or anything Trojan War related?
Thanks to Equinox for putting together my wiki without my knowledge. <3

I am currently on hiatus. Expected return date: next spring.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Devestation: You say that everything turns to WIFOM in your head. Mind expanding on that? What exactly are you trying to say?

Elibereth: No comments. Yet.

Memnon:
Oh, duh. I should have guessed the Greek first. I'm a terrible History major. Ah, well.
Memnon wrote: 3) Not really. Why?

4) My thought process right now is not much, besides examining Devestation's post for stuff. It will become more apparent later on.

6) I use every ounce of my not inconsiderable mental faculties to do this.
With 3, why ask why? Does the question itself make you nervous? Mind discussing your reaction here?

With 4, do you think you see something worthwhile in Devestation's post? Mind expanding a bit?

With 6, what makes you feel so confident in your capabilities coming into this game? There are many intelligent people who simply aren't that good at Mafia.

Captain Blackadder
Captain Blackadder
Townie
Captain Blackadder
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Post by Captain Blackadder »

1) Coke or Pepsi?

Pepsi Max for the win

I enjoyed it from the first time I played it in RL I found it in a section of a website I go to then another and then another
Not at all I have played many mafia games and this is just another game of many.

My playstyle is heavily based on gut instinct i read the posts of everyone look at who seems to be off from normal behaviour or who is overally defensive.

Don't know what a tootsie is must be an American thing

Never trust anyone is the key. The only person who I would trust would be someone cleared by myself as a detective in a game where alignments could not change or someone confirmed by the mod to be innocent like a fellow mason. If not that then somene confirmed by a detective who has proven their anti-scum capabilities

I prefer games where the townies use analysis as I find games where townies wait for power results to be boring and too easy for town. However if the power roles are their it would be foolish to ignore them since the game should be balanced on the idea that townies use these roles.
anathemakei
anathemakei
Townie
anathemakei
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:24 pm

Post by anathemakei »

Netopalis wrote:1) Coke or Pepsi?
1) Either
2) It's fun (is there a better answer?)
3) Yes a bit, as this is my fisrt game on this forum, and I'm always nervous for D1
4) I usually go with gut feelings.
5) I've never seen anyone only lick these... only suck on them.
6) I think the only way to be certain if you can trust someone is if you're the cop
7) I don't think it matters either way as long as you catch them

And Netopalis care to answer your own questions?
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:30 pm

Post by Ellibereth »

Neto, do me a favor and link to all your games where you did the whole question thing? I want to look at something.
FLASH OF GREEN
Osman
Osman
Townie
Osman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Post by Osman »

1) Coke or Pepsi?

Pepsi, just because I'm too used to Coke.
2) Why do you play Mafia
?
Because its fun mental game, relied solely on your wits.

No, not really, doesnt see a reason to be.

My first game here, but would say instinct and try to determine patterns, and get a feel for player's style.

No idea, not american and aware of that.

Ideally someone who is undoubtly proven by the cop, but if there has been enough days past, read the pattern of the player and how it may logically clash with the interests of the scum to the degree its quite unlikely to be otherwise. Though I wouldnt still say trust, but more like good hunch he/she is townie.

The former is ideal and most practical, even if its more exciting to do it totally without such help perhaps.

8 ) You dont know your ancient greek history/literature?
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:04 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Captain Blackadder: You should find that power role-driven games are much more rare on this site. They generally are extremely light on the roles, and only one semi-commonly used role can change a player's alignment (the cult leader). We definitely favor analysis as a playstyle. How do you reconcile your self-identified gut playstyle with your appreciation for providing analysis?

Anathemakei: This comes up in every game that I ask the questions to start off the game. I won't answer until everybody else has, for reasons in the same post as the questions.

You say that you're nervous for D1. Why? Care to expand a bit?

Osman: You have some interesting responses for a new player. I think that you're right to look at a player's motivation and style. As for the ancient Greek history...yeah. I specialized more in modern history, but I still should have known that. :P

Captain Blackadder
Captain Blackadder
Townie
Captain Blackadder
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:45 pm

Essentaily what I do is first look for analyatical reasons why someone is scummy but if I cannot find them for not all mafia make the newb mistakes of defending too much for an early vote or not enough for an end game vote. If not that then I go by gut instinct because much of the time it does a better job then analytical play. For example what I felt was my greatest analytical lynch turned out to be an innocent
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:50 pm

Post by Netopalis »

So, you categorically decided that analytical play produces poorer results than gut play (given the absence of obvious mistakes) based on a single lynch? Interesting.

anathemakei
anathemakei
Townie
anathemakei
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Post by anathemakei »

Nervous for D1 because where I've played before is usually just /random and at least 4 games I haven't lived to day two. Stupid random.
Captain Blackadder
Captain Blackadder
Townie
Captain Blackadder
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:38 pm

Netopalis wrote:So, you categorically decided that analytical play produces poorer results than gut play (given the absence of obvious mistakes) based on a single lynch? Interesting.
There are other examples I feel that being overally anaylitical can cause problems since many of the scum tells are also the tells of someone with a power role and thus whilst anylitical play has its place it is not the only way to determine mafia there are other equally valid ways to do it.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Post by Netopalis »

anathemakei wrote:Nervous for D1 because where I've played before is usually just /random and at least 4 games I haven't lived to day two. Stupid random.
But, this isn't a random game. Shouldn't you be less anxious?

Blackadder: Fair enough. Care to enumerate some of your alternative methods?

GroupThink
GroupThink
Goon
GroupThink
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:34 pm

Post by GroupThink »

Netopalis wrote:Alright. Here are my questions. I will be answering them once everybody else has answered. This is to prevent everybody else from looking at my answers and saying "Yeah, what he said." I don't want to influence your answers, of course, as it sort of eliminates the possibility of determining alignment based on the questions. Here they are:

1) Coke or Pepsi?
Neither; I prefer green tea.
Netopalis wrote:2) Why do you play Mafia?
Because I prefer the people it attracts.
Netopalis wrote:3) Would you say that you are nervous right now? Why?
Somewhat. The President of the United States is black.
Netopalis wrote:4) To the experienced players here, how would you describe your playstyle? To the inexperienced players, how would you describe your thought processes?
Lackadaisical.
Netopalis wrote:5) How many licks DOES it take to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie pop?
I wouldn't know.
Netopalis wrote:6) How do you determine who to trust?
Blood relativity.
Netopalis wrote:7) Which is more important to you: Using power roles well or catching the scum without the help of power roles?
Winning.
You never pass a test of faith.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”