Newbie 692: Cool kids play mafia - Moon Scum WIN!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
ric
ric
Goon
ric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:54 pm

Post by ric »

duke is like saying dude or player

i dont get it, where are you guys from you havent heard anybody use that word before? :lol:

youre on the street and you see your friend and youre like 'whats up duke?' or you see some person you dont know in the bar being nuts so you say 'duke is crazy....' as you turn your head
LunaLouise
LunaLouise
Goon
LunaLouise
Goon
Goon

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:59 pm

Post by LunaLouise »

It's probably a demographics issue. I'm a 27 female European. If 'duke' is a slang term, I wouldn't be familiar with it.
Never let Shadows rule your life
http://www.lunalouise.com

[b]V/LA 15th through 25th of May[/b]
Lunar_Tick
Lunar_Tick
Townie
Lunar_Tick
Townie
Townie

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:55 am

Post by Lunar_Tick »

Anyway, back to the game.
I stand by my L3GACY vote, he is evading. He should also be nudged, if he hasn't been already.
Nobody knows
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:06 am

Post by elvis_knits »

VOTE COUNT
!

L3GACY - (3) Operative D, Slevinn , Lunar_tick
Vissian (1) - OrangePenguin
orangepenguin (1) - ric
LunaLouise - (1) L3GACY

Not Voting:
Erratos Apathos
LunaLouise
Vissian

With 9 alive, 5 to lynch!

Note: L3GACY has not picked up his prod from Saturday. His last post was over a week ago. If he doesn't post in thread or get in touch with me by tomorrow, I will replace him.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
Operative D
Operative D
Townie
Operative D
Townie
Townie

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:45 pm

Post by Operative D »

So the number 1 suspect seems to have ditched and now we're getting someone else we gotta get a read on... -_-
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:31 am

Post by Erratus Apathos »

Lunar_Tick wrote:Anyway, back to the game.
I stand by my L3GACY vote, he is evading. He should also be nudged, if he hasn't been already.
Please answer my previous question.
Do you want your possessions identified?
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:43 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Kairyuu replaces L3Gacy.

Carry on!
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:28 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

Hello all!

I've read this game through once briefly but I don't have anything solid yet. You can expect a full play-by-play tommorrow or later tonight.

Until then,
unvote
in case my predecessor had a vote on.
Because, no matter how you dress it up, that's what the world is. A community of idiots doing a series of things until the world explodes and we all die.
LunaLouise
LunaLouise
Goon
LunaLouise
Goon
Goon

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:57 pm

Post by LunaLouise »

Hello Kairyuu, welcome. As a sidenote, love your avatar. Glad to have you with us. Be glad to hear what you think of the pages past.

Slevinn
Slevinn
Townie
Slevinn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Post by Slevinn »

o hai kairyuu
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

Ok. A few things that stuck out from another quick run through.

FOS: EA
for putting a player at L-2 during random voting. Newbies shouldn't really be expected to realize how dangerous that is, but you are an IC, and you should know better. Early wagons D1 are fine, but random wagons to L-2 are bad, even if the sample size is as small as 9 players. Other than that, you have played well, and seems to be quite the good IC.

FOS: Orangepenguin
for active lurking. You have had 13 posts outside of the confirmation stage, and had relevant information in only 2 of them. That worries me.

Vote: Vissian
for indifference to a townie lynch. This is never, I repeat,
never
an acceptable strategy for the town. You should
always
look to lynch scum. Some evidence of this same indifferent attitude being used by scum can be found here: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... &&start=50 . Look at post subject 64, by Save the Dragons. He was scum, and he was completely indifferent about lynching a townie D1. I see precedent, so I'm going back to this even though some have discounted it.

The rest of you guys haven't given me too strong of reads yet, so I'll hold off on commenting about you for a bit.
Because, no matter how you dress it up, that's what the world is. A community of idiots doing a series of things until the world explodes and we all die.
Lunar_Tick
Lunar_Tick
Townie
Lunar_Tick
Townie
Townie

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:55 pm

Post by Lunar_Tick »

Erratus Apathos wrote: Why do you say call this "speculation" if it's in your experience?
When saying speculation, I should have said speculative.

speculative: based on guessing or unfounded opinions.

Experience of previous games shouldn't always be applied to new games, due to some things being coincidental. I only mentioned this about L3GACY because he already seemed quite shifty.
Nobody knows
LunaLouise
LunaLouise
Goon
LunaLouise
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:05 am

Post by LunaLouise »

To let you, my fellow players, and our
MOD
know;

I will be going home for Sinterklaas holiday (very Dutch holiday) from the 3rd through the 8th of December. Although there is plenty of internet to go around there, my contributions might be less extensive and elaborate during those days.

Carry on !

ric
ric
Goon
ric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:01 am

Post by ric »

FOS: Orangepenguin for active lurking. You have had 13 posts outside of the confirmation stage, and had relevant information in only 2 of them. That worries me.
why does this worry you?

unvote orangepenguin
(i see how its done now)
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:03 am

Post by Kairyuu »

@ric: Right then. I suppose I was assuming it to be obvious when it wasn't.

Active lurking is bad, and often a scumtell. It occurs when a player posts reasonably often, (or at least isn't full on lurking) but doesn't post anything of value, merely 'filler posts.' This makes it look like they are actively contributing, when they actually aren't (hence 'active' lurking). It is a common scum tactic because it allows them to stay under the radar due to their activity level, as many players equate high activity levels with towniness.
Erratus Apathos
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Erratus Apathos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:32 am

Post by Erratus Apathos »

Kairyuu wrote:
FOS: EA
for putting a player at L-2 during random voting. Newbies shouldn't really be expected to realize how dangerous that is, but you are an IC, and you should know better. Early wagons D1 are fine, but random wagons to L-2 are bad, even if the sample size is as small as 9 players. Other than that, you have played well, and seems to be quite the good IC.
Random wagons to L-2 aren't nearly as dangerous as they appear. If someone did try to quicklynch, they'd be lynched the next day. I've only once seen someone put a player on L-1. This was back in the days when Newbie games were seven players and L-2 random votes were practically unavoidable, and even then the player was scum.

What do you mean by "Newbies shouldn't really be expected to realize how dangerous that is"?
Do you want your possessions identified?
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:22 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@EA:
Random wagons to L-2 aren't nearly as dangerous as they appear. If someone did try to quicklynch, they'd be lynched the next day. I've only once seen someone put a player on L-1. This was back in the days when Newbie games were seven players and L-2 random votes were practically unavoidable, and even then the player was scum.
I still don't like it. Newbie games are supposed to be practice for larger games, and if people see an IC putting someone at L-2 during the RVS, they may think that it's alright to random wagon in larger games to the same point. This will, more often than not, move the wagon right onto the L-2 voter. It's more a teaching thing than an actually scummy thing.
What do you mean by "Newbies shouldn't really be expected to realize how dangerous that is"?
New players see 3 votes. They often don't see it as L-2. 3 votes doesn't look dangerous, but if those votes stay, and someone fabricates a weak case on the wagoned player, then those votes can turn into a quicklynch. When I made that post I was referring to LunaLouise doing the same thing. I wouldn't expect someone who hasn't played before to already understand the concept before it is explained.
LunaLouise
LunaLouise
Goon
LunaLouise
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:22 pm

Post by LunaLouise »

Kairyuu wrote: When I made that post I was referring to LunaLouise doing the same thing. I wouldn't expect someone who hasn't played before to already understand the concept before it is explained.

When did I do that ? In random voting, I was the second voting for OrangePenguin, hence putting him at -3. It was Onrider there after that put OrangePenguin at -2, not me.

Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:37 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@LunaLouise:
When did I do that ? In random voting, I was the second voting for OrangePenguin, hence putting him at -3. It was Onrider there after that put OrangePenguin at -2, not me.
:oops: Whoops. Sorry 'bout that. I guess I had the vote order wrong.
ric
ric
Goon
ric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:04 pm

Post by ric »

Kairyuu wrote:Active lurking is bad, and often a scumtell. It occurs when a player posts reasonably often, (or at least isn't full on lurking) but doesn't post anything of value, merely 'filler posts.' This makes it look like they are actively contributing, when they actually aren't (hence 'active' lurking). It is a common scum tactic because it allows them to stay under the radar due to their activity level, as many players equate high activity levels with towniness.
but this is a message board game that attracts people who are bored or have nothing better to do so whats wrong with posting about liking somebodys dog picture and such? i understand about flying under the radar but still...

what do you think about the idea that legacy was suspicious to many people on here and now youre replacing him and taking up his role/position? why should one suspect you any less?
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:52 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

It's hardly active lurking when everyone else is lurking too. That doesn't excuse me for "lurking", but without discussion, there wasn't much to comment on. I am still happy with my vote as of now though.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:22 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@ric:
but this is a message board game that attracts people who are bored or have nothing better to do so whats wrong with posting about liking somebodys dog picture and such?
You seem to be misunderstanding what I am talking about. I was referring to his posts during the game only. The confirmation stage posts I didn't even count, because they are not part of the actual game. So all that stuff about the avatars wasn't even in my read. I looked at only the posts after the mod stated that the day was starting.
i understand about flying under the radar but still...
There is no 'but still.' The action is either scummy or it isn't. It is scummy to try to stay under the radar by not posting anything that helps the town. There are no two ways about it.
what do you think about the idea that legacy was suspicious to many people on here and now youre replacing him and taking up his role/position? why should one suspect you any less?
Many people? Hardly. I have three votes on me based on a case that doesn't even make sense. The reasons that people have given are that my predecessor contradicted himself with bandwagon voting, and that he was lurking.

First of all, you can't accuse him of lurking if he disappeared entirely. You have no idea of his reasons, and to assume that it was because of suspicion on him rather than real life reasons is probably the worst thing you could do in this situation. It's one thing if he was still posting elsewhere, but he hasn't even been on the site since his last post. So therefore, this point against him is moot.

Second of all, his contradiction was not even a contradiction. He said he didn't want to lynch someone before they had posted even once. This was misinterpreted as him purposefully avoiding a bandwagon. There are several things logically wrong with that. One, his sentiment was pro-town, because it was anti-quicklynch. Two, he was under the impression that bandwagoning was bad (which he stated in his very next post). This is where the so called 'contradiction' comes into play. After he is told by LunaLouise that early bandwagons are good, he proceeds to vote her, following another player. This is the
second
vote on her, when people have been taken to L-2. It is not even a bandwagon vote.

He was also accused at one point of jumping on multiple bandwagons. He made all of two votes before he was replaced, and one of them was a first vote. So yeah, that didn't actually happen.

To sum it up, I'm not exactly bothered by the votes on me, because they do not belong there, as they are there for reasons that boil down to logical fallacies. My predecessor did nothing to actually warrent a vote.

@OP:
It's hardly active lurking when everyone else is lurking too. That doesn't excuse me for "lurking", but without discussion, there wasn't much to comment on. I am still happy with my vote as of now though.
There's plenty to comment on. Saying that there is not enough discussion is no excuse. If there isn't enough activity, then kickstart the discussion youself. You are an IC. You have been playing much longer than the newbies, so you should be better able to dig up tells from the discussion already present than they are.

And I am happy with my vote too, and therefore yours as well, since Vissian has actually done things that are scummy enough to vote him over.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

Oh yeah, almost forgot to
FOS: ric
for being rather defensive of OP. Town shouldn't defend people without good cause.
Vissian
Vissian
Townie
Vissian
Townie
Townie

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:44 pm

Post by Vissian »

Hmm. That was a good post Kairyuu. Disliking this whole replacement thing, making me shift my vote...

unvote: Kairyuu

As for some discussion, this time I went back and looked at Orange's posts, since you brought up a good point with his lurking.

He said in post #52, that it was kind of weird how Onrider acted. While I do agree that it was weird, I don't see much reason to vote his replacement. Rather, Orange, since the wording of the post just seems off to me. I don't have a lot of experience, but shouldn't he have specifically stated that Onrider's behavior was scummy? Saying that someone "acted weird" doesn't help much, but saying that someone
acted scummy
draws more attention. To me, it seems like he is trying to get us to buy it without connecting himself to doubting Onrider. That seemed scummy to me before, but I let it slide.

When Orange voted for me after my mistake, he basically summed up what EA had already said about me. Filler, regurgitated post, doesn't add much BUT it seems like it does. Finally, his low content posts (97).

Not finally: Kairyuu's above post about being defensive of others seems weird. The unvote I understand, but not the other content of his post. This could be early to make a call, but if ric/Orange flips scum then I call pair between the two.

Vote: orangepenguin

And Orange, there is enough content to make a post about. Heck, back up your vote on me with reasoning if you can't find anything else to talk about.
Who am I voting for? Probably Cthulu. I mean, why pick the lesser evil?
Vissian
Vissian
Townie
Vissian
Townie
Townie

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:46 pm

Post by Vissian »

Gah, knew I forgot something! Had it right there in my notes...

I don't like Lunar_Tick's vote for L3GACY at the beginning. While there was reason to vote that way, he didn't use it. Just throwing this out there, but couldn't you have at least quoted the post? I understand you were looking for a reaction, but you could have done better.
Who am I voting for? Probably Cthulu. I mean, why pick the lesser evil?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”