Scum Yugioh Ladder! - joining always possible

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Scum Yugioh Ladder! - joining always possible

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:11 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

Ladder

[mrow]Username[col]Wins[col]LossesDorm Ninja[col]5[col]0Lawrencelot[col]1[col]1Mert[col]1[col]0Occult[col]0[col]0Klebian[col]3[col]3Wizardcat[col]2[col]1YoghurtBandit[col]0[col]7Maz Medias [col]0[col]0stark[col]0[col]0

Update: we won't do a tourney, but a ladder. You challenge the person above you and if you win you can move up (you can refuse the challenge if the one who challenged you is higher in the ranking, else you have to accept). I will keep track of the wins and losses. Since a ladder is endless, joining is always possible. You start at the bottom of the ladder when you join.

If you have hamachi, join Klebians room:
klebian wrote:my hamachi room: ABC343, pass: abc343

Since there is also a Magic tournament, I thought people would be interested in joining a Yugioh tournament too. Everybody can join, as long as they know the rules of Yugioh. You must have played at least one game of Yugioh either in real life, on pc, or on gameboy/console. And it's better you have msn if you want to ask me something, or if you want to be online at the same time as your opponent, but having MSN is not necessary.

The program we will use is Yugioh Virtual Desktop. I will explain how to install and use it in this post, but you better add me on MSN (theres a button somewhere below this post) if you don't understand anything or if there is a problem. Ok, let's go to the part how to install and use YVD on your pc:

1. Download Yugioh Virtual Desktop(YVD) and install it.
2. Download the newest sets. This is not necessary, but if someone uses a very new card and you did not download this, you won't see the card in the program. And maybe you want to use some of the newest cards to.
3. Copy the set to your YVD folder.
4. Download the newest images.
5. Open the image file to put the images in the right folder. I got an error with this one, but if it doesn't work, it's not very important.
6. Open YVD and find out how it works yourself or read the manual (recommended).

If you have questions, you can look here, or contact me.

Rules for this tournament

-This tournament follows the standard rules of Yugioh.
-We use the advanced deck rules. That means: when you make your deck, you have to choose the advanced format, it's at the right of the deckbuilder. Your deck must have at least 40 cards, with no maximum size. You cannot have more than 3 of the same cards in your deck, and the advanced list shows which card you can have less than 3 of. Normally, you get a warning if you do not follow this rule in the deck builder, but you better check the list again to see if you don't have banned cards in your deck.
-Each match is best of 3.
The tourney is double elimination, so you can still win the tourney if you lost once.

-To prevent cheating and confusion, it's necessary that you log your duel. If 2 people don't agree with something in the duel, I can see what happened in the log file.
-You'd better duel me once (with a different deck perhaps) before the tourney starts, so that your tournament duel isn't your first one with YVD. The program is easy to learn though, so this is not necessary.
-Of course you have to be online at the same time as your opponent when you duel, so you can set a date in this post, and better add your opponent to msn/aim too. Or you can join the chat that's in the program, I won't explain how to use that one in this post though.

This may all sound a bit difficult, but if you don't understand something you can click on some links in this post, or you can contact me on msn or pm or just in this post (msn is best so I can explain things while you try things). It takes some time before you will be dueling your first opponent, but this tourney should be fun once it starts.
Last edited by Lawrencelot on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:56 am, edited 18 times in total.
Leaving mafiascum temporarily or not due to circumstances
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:15 am

Post by Occult »

/in me
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:30 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

/in to rock out.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:48 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

/out. Your program fails to run through wine.
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:01 am

Post by somestrangeflea »

I agree.
I was going to play, but decided not to bother upon attempting to use the program.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:11 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

What do you mean with "run through wine"? I agree, the program isn't that good, but as far as I know it's the only one (apart from one that costs loads of money and doesn't let you choose your cards). But although the program doesn't rock, it's easy to learn and use.
YogurtBandit
YogurtBandit
Goon
YogurtBandit
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:39 am

Post by YogurtBandit »

/in
[color=red]├é┬Ñ├é┬░gůřť├â┼©├â┬Ñň├â
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:09 am

Post by xyzzy »

Lawrencelot wrote:What do you mean with "run through wine"? I agree, the program isn't that good, but as far as I know it's the only one (apart from one that costs loads of money and doesn't let you choose your cards). But although the program doesn't rock, it's easy to learn and use.
Wine is a Windows emulator (well, no, not technically...) for Linux. It works decently for some programs. This ain't one of 'em.

Basically, it's impossible to run YVD on Linux.
Wizardcat
Wizardcat
Goon
Wizardcat
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:15 am

Post by Wizardcat »

/in.
[align=center][color=purple][i]"The dogs of war are nothing compared to the cats."[/i][/color][/align]
Dorm Ninja
Dorm Ninja
Townie
Dorm Ninja
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:02 am

Post by Dorm Ninja »

/IN
"You are what you pretend to be" -Kurt Vonnegut
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:35 am

Post by Yaw »

I've never played before, so /out.

But in the interest of being helpful, I'd like to note that the recent MTG tournaments aren't the first time we've attempted them, and past attempts have been difficult or failures for a variety of reasons. Threads are still around in Mish Mash, if you want to see what happened. Some of the problems we've had to address include:

1 -- Computer crashes by players, causing the loss of deck data (as well as the time spent to repair computers that have crashed). This is the reason we've instituted the Deck-Keeper policy, so that everyone's deck exists in two locations and data can be more easily recovered.

2 -- Time zone and scheduling issues. In rounds with assigned matches, the round can drag out while waiting for one or two matches to happen. Usually the difficulty involves someone with a very busy schedule, or two players who live 5 or 6 time zones apart having issues finding a time both can be online. There are several ways around this -- we've gone with groups where the order of matches is irrelevant, but you might have a better idea.

3 -- Dropped players. Think of how you will approach things if the tournament stretches out over several months and you get 3-4 drops midway through. This has happened.

At any rate, best of luck. I hope you'll take the opportunity to learn from our mistakes to help this be more successful.
Success breeds suspicion
Mert
Mert
Mafia Scum
Mert
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:19 am

Post by Mert »

/in

Maybe a league rather than a knockout tourney so that flakers are just auto-wins for their opponent and we can go for as long/as short as we want. We can also add in latecomers at any point as they can try to work their way up the standings... up to you, of course, but just thinking about Yaw's Yawesome post above, I thought I'd suggest it :)

/in regardless though :D
[i]"Awesome Proton Pack, Flay!"[/i] - [size=75][b]Petroleumjelly[/b][/size]
[i]"It would be suicide for scum to go after Mert"[/i] - [size=75][b]Dral[/b][/size]
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:44 pm

Post by Occult »

I like a league idea, might work a bit better.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:51 pm

Post by Lawrencelot »

Wine is a Windows emulator (well, no, not technically...) for Linux. It works decently for some programs. This ain't one of 'em.

Basically, it's impossible to run YVD on Linux.
Ok, thx for clarifying, I thought it was some sort of expression lol.
I've never played before, so /out.

But in the interest of being helpful, I'd like to note that the recent MTG tournaments aren't the first time we've attempted them, and past attempts have been difficult or failures for a variety of reasons. Threads are still around in Mish Mash, if you want to see what happened. Some of the problems we've had to address include:

1 -- Computer crashes by players, causing the loss of deck data (as well as the time spent to repair computers that have crashed). This is the reason we've instituted the Deck-Keeper policy, so that everyone's deck exists in two locations and data can be more easily recovered.

2 -- Time zone and scheduling issues. In rounds with assigned matches, the round can drag out while waiting for one or two matches to happen. Usually the difficulty involves someone with a very busy schedule, or two players who live 5 or 6 time zones apart having issues finding a time both can be online. There are several ways around this -- we've gone with groups where the order of matches is irrelevant, but you might have a better idea.

3 -- Dropped players. Think of how you will approach things if the tournament stretches out over several months and you get 3-4 drops midway through. This has happened.

At any rate, best of luck. I hope you'll take the opportunity to learn from our mistakes to help this be more successful.
Thanks for the advice. I think these problems could be solved, but its good you mentioned them.
1. A deck keeper is a good solution. He should not participate in the tourney of course, so I'll see if I can find one.
2. I think this is not a very big problem. People should try to arrange a date and time when they can play. They can do that in this thread, or msn or pm. I am 5 timezones later than USA, but theres always at least once a week time for me to play against americans. And now it is vacation, people have even more time.
3. Dropping out just counts as losing. I don't see the problem in this, other than that it takes some more time. If people arrange the dates in this thread, I can see who really wants to play against the other, and if the other one doesn't respond or says something like "I'll play in about 2 months" then he's just out.

Can someone explain what a "league" is exactly? I'm not english, and my dictionary says it's the same as "competition", but I don't understand the difference from what I planned now.

And a deckkeeper should be useful. Who wants to be a deckkeeper? (you can't participate then). I'll ask tsq first.
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:11 am

Post by Occult »

league (the way im thinking about it) would run a season.

With a schedule, standings, ect. I think thats what mert meant.
Mert
Mert
Mafia Scum
Mert
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:14 am

Post by Mert »

For league, think "World Cup Qualififers or First Round". For tournament, think Second Round onward of the World Cup.

Basically, everyone would play everyone else the same amount of times at whatever intervals and timings suited them best. 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, no points for a loss.

For example:

[mrow]Player[col]Played[col]Win[col]Draw[col]Lose[col]Points Lawrencelot[col]3[col]2[col]0[col]1[col]6 Occult[col]3[col]1[col]1[col]1[col]4 Mert[col]3[col]0[col]1[col]2[col]1

etc
[i]"It would be suicide for scum to go after Mert"[/i] - [size=75][b]Dral[/b][/size]
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:24 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

NO U
Mert
Mert
Mafia Scum
Mert
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:04 am

Post by Mert »

Shea off, Shea face.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:45 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

Thestatusquo wrote:NO U
Isn't this supposed to be in the SK game?

Mert: so, you mean pouls? Everybody is in a poul (group), and everyone in the group plays against each other once (or maybe twice) and the ones in the poul with the lowest score are out, and after that it's double elimination. Something like that?
Mert
Mert
Mafia Scum
Mert
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:29 am

Post by Mert »

Yeah, basically. Though you don't have to eliminate if you don't want to, it can just be an ongoing, fluid thing - might end up harder to manage after a while though. It's entirely up to you, just thought I'd offer an alternative :D

Mostly I just want to play.
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:57 am

Post by Occult »

I would say, No groups just run it like a regular sport season. We just play each other and keep standings count. Like to get a win you need to beat them 2 outta 3.

We could play a game or two a week or something.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Lawrencelot »

I think I will keep it a tournament, and when it's over (or maybe while it's going) we could do something like a ranking ladder or season that doesn't end. There are not that much players, so doing a season and letting the highest rankings proceed to the tourney doesn't make sense, we better do it the other way around (a tourney for fun, and then maybe a ranking). If there were a lot of players, we could do it as Mert said, but I think a normal tourney is better for now.
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:23 am

Post by Occult »

I don't think mert was talking about a tourney at the end, just the ladder. I don't really like the tournament with this few players, my vote would to just go with a ladder.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:18 pm

Post by Lawrencelot »

Yeah, I expected more people would come, but if we would do a ladder more people could join while it already started. Alright, ladder it is then. I will keep track of the wins and losses, we don't need a deck builder anymore I think, because you can just change your deck between the matches (not between the duels).

I think this way is the best: the first order of the ladder is alphabetically, you challenge the first player above you, and if you win you can move up one spot. When someone else joins, he starts at the bottom of the ladder. This thread is to set dates with your opponent, report the wins and losses, join the ladder, and everything else that has to do with this ladder. It's time to dddduel!
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:25 pm

Post by Lawrencelot »

Dorm Ninja, I challenge you, add me to msn please if you have msn.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”