Newbie 919 - Ridding into a town win.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Newbie 919 - Ridding into a town win.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:45 am

Post by farside22 »

Death on a train.
I thought this was going to be the good and safe way to go, but someone killed a passenger on the train.
Heading from Los Angeles to New York this will be a long train ride with no stops. Two of the 9 people on this train is out to spill blood. Can you weed these people out before they kill you all and get to New York?

players (3)

jpappy789

Earlder1

0x1de (SE)

dead

Blue - townie - lynched day 1

Charlie - townie - lynched day 2

Greyblade - cop - killed night 2

Seraphim
RayFrost
(IC) - Mafia Role Blocker - Lynched day 3

Pat Results - doctor - killed night 3

Sky - mafia goon - lynched
Last edited by farside22 on Wed May 05, 2010 7:42 am, edited 16 times in total.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:46 am

Post by farside22 »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

name
(a Mafia Goon) and your partner
name
(who is also a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night. One of you must send me a PM with your choice of who to kill. You should copy your partner on the PM so they know the kill was submitted.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

name
(a Mafia Roleblocker) and your partner
name
(a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night. One of you must send me a PM with your choice of who to kill. You should copy your partner on the PM so they know the kill was submitted.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:11 pm

Post by farside22 »

Everyone has checked in. This train is non stop to New York. You have your how cabin rooms to sleep in during the night.
Good luck finding the scum on this train.

WOOT

WOOT

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch
deadline is 3 weeks from this post
Greyblade
Greyblade
Goon
Greyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:17 pm

Post by Greyblade »

Three weeks seems like quite a long time. When I played before a day was considered long if it went past 48 hours. But we'll see how things work out.

Might as well get started.
Vote: Charlie

He bit my finger.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:35 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Hello everybody, I am your friendly neighborhood IC

I am, essentially a player in this game that is placed here to help guide you all in your mafia experience. I am here to teach you about theory questions and similar, but do remember that I am another player and that I am playing to win. I am not infallible, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

To start off, I should probably give you some useful information via links to our mafia wiki.

RayFrost's intro post wrote:[Intro] Hello everybody, I am your friendly neighborhood inexperience-challenged (IC) player.

Basically, I'm this guy who has played some games and has some experience, and I'm meant to help you newbies along in your development processes.

I've had some previous experience with players thinking the moderator sets the roles manually and will set more experienced players on each side, blah, blah, blah.

The standard for setting roles is to use random.org and let it generate who gets what role.

Some good information to have (standard mafia terminology) is as follows...

OMGUS, WIFOM, Bussing, Mafia Etiquette, Lynch-or-Lose, Random Vote, and the Random Questioning Stage

These are all links to (what I feel to be) rather important information.

It's recommended reading for those of you that are new.[/intro]
Also, I would like to say that there is no general consensus on which is better between the random voting stage and the random questioning stage for starting a game, and I, myself, have no real preference.

If any of you have theory questions or similar, I am here to help, and I am obligated by IC law to not lie about those kinds of things.
don't you feel silly now?
0x1de
0x1de
Goon
0x1de
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:40 pm

Post by 0x1de »

Hi folks, I'm looking forward to a fun game.

I'll vote Greybeard because of he knows too much.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Some general purpose code for the forum as well as proper voting format...
RayFrost wrote:

Code: Select all

[url=insert link here]whatever you want the text to be for the link[/url]

some other important ones are...

[quote="Whatever you want to put here, such as the author's name"]the text of the quote[/quote]

votes should be in the format of...

[b]Vote: [INSERTNAMEHERE][/b]

Also note that word often makes the quotation marks in the “ fashion. This will
not
work for quoting. To ensure it works, you can copy and paste from word into notepad, write in notepad, or write directly in the reply box.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Also, just cuz I forgot about this, would everybody post their experience with mafia? (how long you've played, whether you've done it in real life or on forums, etc, etc)

I, myself, have only played mafia on this forum and an IRC channel.

I've got around 20 or more games under my belt, though I still think I'm not that great ^.^"

Anyway, this is my first time as an IC, so I'll be learning how to do that job while teaching you guys.
Greyblade
Greyblade
Goon
Greyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Post by Greyblade »

Guys, watch out for 0x1de: don't let his name fool you, he's secretly a reducing agent!

Yeah, I got nothing. We need funnier usernames, people.

So, I can't help but notice, 0x1de and Ray, that it says you're scum
right under your names
while it clearly says that I am but a simple townsman. I think it's clear who we should lynch:

Charlie

My finger still hurts, by the way.

-----------------------------

My experience: I've played on another forum (it was the Ikariam forum, if anyone cares), though it was a while back. I played a number of games, including themed games, I can't remember but I think I might have modded a game or two, even.
The first time I ever played was in the meatworld. I definitely think online mafia is better. Unless, of course, you turn it into a mafia LARP, because that would just be awesome.
If I were to rate myself, I'd say I fall somewhere around SE. I'm definitely not a total noob, but I'd rather not overestimate myself, either.
Sky
Sky
Goon
Sky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Post by Sky »

Vote: Blue

Reminds me of my own username and there's only one of me on this train!

My expirience is two other games here, since I am a semi expirienced or SE. I also play IRL and at epicmafia.com...
0x1de
0x1de
Goon
0x1de
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Post by 0x1de »

Ha, caught you out already. I'm only half of what you claim!
Greyblade
Greyblade
Goon
Greyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Post by Greyblade »

You're obviously bussing there, Sky. I mean, the sky
is
blue, a clear indication that you are
Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker
mafia scumbuddies.

I just invented an awesome word. I'll bet "scumbody" wishes they thought of it first.

So... I'm all for goofing around and stuff, but we're not really getting anywhere. I suppose we're still waiting for people to show up. The only people with votes are those that haven't showed yet.

Once this game gets in full swing, I can bring the full force of my intellect to bear, because I'm secretly a genius. However, I'm also an idiot, but hopefully that's just for comedic effect.

Yeah, I'm.... "eccentric". Maybe it's the medication I'm taking. Or maybe it's the medication I'm
not
taking. Ah, ADHD at it's finest.
Charlie
Charlie
Mafia Scum
Charlie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:24 pm

Post by Charlie »

Hello, nice train coach! Mind if I sit down?

It's my third game online, and the only site I have ever played online Mafia is right here. I have been to some strange parties and played the game IRL; that's how it all started. Twas' entertaining.

RVS time!
Vote: RayFrost
because I can describe him in 1 word. Sarcasm.

Let's summarize what we know in 9 posts: Greyblade has ADHD, 0x1de didn't bold his ramdom vote and has a witty comeback, RayFrost is first time IC-ing (icing? Yum), Sky misspelled experience, I like the Charlie on a bridge better.
Kindness
Greyblade
Greyblade
Goon
Greyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Post by Greyblade »

Your avatar scares me. I can see the murder in its eyes. Or maybe it just wants to steal my kidney.
This much we can say for sure: that's no ordinary rabbit.

And I seem to have misplaced my Holy Hand Grenade.

So, since Charlie has finally shown, I'll retract my vote, as he doesn't seem suspicious. Yet.
Unvote: Charlie

Instead,
Vote: jpappy789

Why, you ask? First, no capitalization. While letter case may be one of the more troublesome things introduced into language, effectively doubling the number of symbols that must be memorized when learning a new orthography, as well as adding rules of when to use which case that vary from language to language, we do in fact have certain standards in English, and names are capitalized. Except when they aren't. For example, that French math guy, Pierre de Fermat, the "de" isn't capitalized. "De" means "of" or "from".

Second, what's with the numbers at the end of his name? What is he, a robot? Because if he is, then that's awesome. I say we see if I can integrate his parts and become a cyborg after we lynch him.

Thirdly, "jpappy"? He sounds like a rapper. "Yo, it's J-Pappy all up in da hood, dawg." Not in my hood he ain't, there's only room for my head there. 'Cause it's the hood, you know, on my jacket, see? Nevermind.
Clearly he's stereotyping rappers as robots that can't use proper capitalization just like I stereotype this post. Because I type with two hands, see? Stereo... type...?
Yeah, it's 12:30am here, so I should probably hit the sack before I say anything else inane. Or insane.

Besides, it was J-Pappy's loud rap music (an oxymoron, or just a regular moron?) that covered up the screams of the dying victim as he attempted to signal for help. At least I assume it was a "he". Of course, given all the sexism found in rap lyrics these days, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the victim was actually a "she". Sometimes the lack of respect and equality afforded to the fairer sex by these rappers disgusts me. Of course, this wouldn't have happened if she'd been in the kitchen making us men sandwiches like she was supposed to be.

Don't you love how I don't follow my own advice? I guess that upgrades me from a regular moron to an oxymoron.

(By the way, if I say something that offends someone, it's probably meant as a joke. It's my way of showing how ridiculous racism/sexism/etc. is. Just pretend I'm a character from South Park, or Family Guy. Preferably South Park, since Family Guy is a bunch of Gay Liberal Hippie Communists, and I'll pick Gay Conservative Redneck Fascists over them any day of the week. Of course, my favorite is Asexual Imperialistic Viking Dictatorships, but I don't think there were ever any of those around.)

The funny thing is I'm not nearly this social in the meatworld. But of course that's why I'm here in the first place.

Given that it is now 1:15am, something tells me I'll regret posting this after a good night's sleep restores most of my sanity. My logic is not at it's best right now.
2 + 2 = 10
IN BASE 4 I'M FINE!
PatResults
PatResults
Goon
PatResults
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:50 am

Post by PatResults »

Hi all. I have had some experience playing elsewhere before, this is my first game here. Looking forward to it.

Vote: Greyblade

I will not have his gay redneck agenda forced upon me.
0x1de
0x1de
Goon
0x1de
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:04 am

Post by 0x1de »

Vote: PatResults
for having been scared by Deliverance.

My experience of this game runs to a whole four games here (one of which was abandoned) and introducing a simplified version to my family at crimbo. As Manuel would say: "I know nothing".

@Tarzan: You should've saved the oxymoron thing 'till I screwed up. Word to the wise.
jpappy789
jpappy789
Goon
jpappy789
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:01 am

Post by jpappy789 »

First off, this is my first game on mafiascum but I've played A LOT of mafia games on another forum. These games, however, are formatted differently...we know all the roles used first of all so theres often talk about what PRs should and shouldnt do depending on the format (many of the games are themed). Secondly, there is a designated nighttime so everyone just needs to have a vote in by then and the player with the most votes is lynched, ie theres no majority needed. This tends to favor people waiting for more then just a random vote to start off, but there's always a few joke votes thrown early. Another huge difference is that the same crowd tends to play the game...thus, we all know each other's game style. Since its my first time here and I'm paired with a random group of players who are also new-er, that's a big difference. Just thought I would throw all that out there.

I'm a person who tends to wait to vote for something I find remotely scummy. Although I did find your extensive analysis about my username quite...um, interesting, Greyblade. To be honest, I use this username on every forum I join and it has to do with my real name.
0x1de
0x1de
Goon
0x1de
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:02 am

Post by 0x1de »

Meh, had to google the bridge thing. Mind you I am so old I remember Charley says.

And I reckon that Earlder1 is a reference to Biggers. Nearly the notorious BIG. Perhaps there's something going on between him and j-dog...
jpappy789
jpappy789
Goon
jpappy789
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:03 am

Post by jpappy789 »

I also forgot to add that another major difference is that the mafia and anyone else who is communicating can speak 24/7. So logically there's a lot of effort put in to following votes in real time...not exactly the case here. This is going to take a lot of getting used to...
Greyblade
Greyblade
Goon
Greyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:07 am

Post by Greyblade »

Your mom's an oxymoron. Er, that makes no sense. And who are you calling Tarzan? My avatar is clearly George of the Jungle.

PatResults was scared by a delivery? What, did someone send him some anthrax or something?

J-Pappy, I eagerly await your lyrical defense to my accusations.
An argument for your lack of representations.
A counterclaim to these scummy sensations.
And some toilet paper for my constipations.
Yeah.
Uh-huh, dog.
Yeah.
I'll keep my day job.
"You must punch him in the center of his right butt cheek." - Dr. McNinja
Greyblade
Greyblade
Goon
Greyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:08 am

Post by Greyblade »

NINJA'D

I didn't see J-Pappy's post before I posted that.
"You must punch him in the center of his right butt cheek." - Dr. McNinja
0x1de
0x1de
Goon
0x1de
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:09 am

Post by 0x1de »

Why is six scared of seven?
jpappy789
jpappy789
Goon
jpappy789
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:10 am

Post by jpappy789 »

What is there to defend?

And for someone who made a "stink" out of my username, I would think you would spell it correctly...no dash :wink:
Greyblade
Greyblade
Goon
Greyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 am

Post by Greyblade »

You can spell your name without any dashes? You must be using a different type of Morse code than me.

Still, you seem a touch defensive about the hole issue, specifically that there is no hole and if there were there would not be a dash in it. Also, your online so we might actually get somewhere with a discussion.
0x1de
0x1de
Goon
0x1de
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:19 am

Post by 0x1de »

She was quite religious - an oxymormum. Must've mixed you up with Greystoke...

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”