Newbie 854 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Newbie 854 - Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:26 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

It is 1290 and I, Kublai Khan, am ailing. Tradition dictates that I choose a successor but my eldest son, Temur Khan, has been assassinated! We have enemies in the House of Borjigin and I know that exactly 2 amongst you 9 want to destroy my Mongol Empire, but I don't know which two.

I'm too weak to investigate, so I will let you deliberate and plot amongst yourselves until you bring me proof that my enemies have been vanquished. Good luck, the future of the Mongol Empire depends on you...

Living Players (1)
-
Confirmed players are in bold

Sotty7
(SE)
(Replaces Korts on Day 2)
-
Mafia Goon
- Survived

Dead Players (8)

odde
-
Vanilla Townie
- Lynched Day 1
RPG*Twilight
-
Vanilla Townie
- Killed Night 1
esuriospiritus
(Replaces Uber_Jesus on Day 1)
-
Mafia Goon
- Lynched Day 2
hexsixsic6
-
Sane Cop
- Killed Night 2
Albert B. Rampage
(IC)
(Replaces Dean Harper on Day 2)
-
Vanilla Townie
- Lynched Day 3
Veridian Cleric
(Replaces Mr. Squirrel on Day 3 who replaced LightWolf on Day 1)
-
Vanilla Townie
- Killed Night 3
HackerHuck
(SE) -
Vanilla Townie
- Lynched Day 4
havingfitz
(Replaces Sirina on Day 1)
-
Vanilla Townie
- Killed in Endgame

Deadline (Eastern; GMT - 4)
Last edited by Kublai Khan on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:28 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
  1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline your night actions will be randomized. Please note that no Night action is a random possibility.
  4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
  5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
  6. In order for all players to play at least one game day this game will start with a Day phase. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  7. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
  8. All Newbie games have strict 3-week deadlines.
    Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.
Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
  1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down).
  2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
  3. Please submit votes as:
    Vote: PlayerName
    Votes will NOT be counted otherwise!

4. Please submit vote revocations as either
    UnVote: PlayerName
    or
    Unvote
    . Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  5. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  6. Deadlines may be implemented if I feel that discussion is lagging. At deadline, ½ the original number of votes will be required for a lynch. In the case of a tie, the person who first received the required number of votes will be lynched. If this number is not met, a No Lynch will occur.
    There will be no reduced number of votes in LyLo.

7. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all living players, including the lynched player, may continue to post until the thread is locked.
  8. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post except for a brief “Bah!”-type post.
Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
  1. Red
    text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed.
  2. Please only post in a language commonly understood by everyone (generally English).
  3. Votecounts will be posted every 2-3 real life days.
  4. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  5. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  6. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

7. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request or after 4 days of no activity. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice.
  8. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill. Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night.
  9. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
    Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:
Last edited by Kublai Khan on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:28 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. You've been bribed a huge amoung of gold, land, and weapons by the House of Yuan to destroy the House of Borjigin from within and begin a new dynasty.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. You've been bribed a huge amoung of gold, land, and weapons by the House of Yuan to destroy the House of Borjigin from within and begin a new dynasty.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, protect the Mongolian Empire by eliminating Kublai Khan's enemies.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are Kublai Khan's Information Minister. You have the resources to investigate one other player every night.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are Kublai Khan's personal physician. Your herbs have the power to prevent death if you are nearby enough to administer them.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Uber_Jesus
Uber_Jesus
Townie
Uber_Jesus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Post by Uber_Jesus »

#confirm
If my Valentine you will not be,
I will hang myself on your Christmas tree
hexsixsic6
hexsixsic6
Townie
hexsixsic6
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:55 pm

Post by hexsixsic6 »

/confirm
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:07 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

/confirm
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

/confirm
"If you say live together, die alone to me Jack, I'm gonna punch you in your face."

-- Rose Nadler, 'Through the Looking Glass' (Lost)
odde
odde
Townie
odde
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:41 pm

Post by odde »

/confirm
If songs were lines in a conversation, the situation would be fine.
RPG*Twilight
RPG*Twilight
Goon
RPG*Twilight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:11 pm

Post by RPG*Twilight »

/confirm
LightWolf
LightWolf
Townie
LightWolf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:08 pm

Post by LightWolf »

/confirming that I will get voted for being called wolf
Sirina
Sirina
Townie
Sirina
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Post by Sirina »

/confim
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:43 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

Awesome! Great to see such enthusiasm! With 8 of 9 confirmed (and I'm sure that Korts will be along soon), I'm going to go ahead and start the game.

It is now Day 1. It takes 5 of 9 to lynch.
You have a 3-week deadline (Hallowe'en! :shock: ).

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
LightWolf
LightWolf
Townie
LightWolf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:00 am

Post by LightWolf »

Well I guess we should spark some early discussion with some random voting right?

So because 7 is a superior number compared to 6

Vote: hexsixsic6
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:18 am

Post by Dean Harper »

vote: Sirina
for being the last person to confirm.

Also, I am the IC for this game, if you have any questions, let me know and I'll answer to the best of my ability. The beginning of newbie games usually starts with the random voting phase (I've been in very few that have not). I find it a good way to start discussion.
"If you say live together, die alone to me Jack, I'm gonna punch you in your face."

-- Rose Nadler, 'Through the Looking Glass' (Lost)
Sirina
Sirina
Townie
Sirina
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:21 am

Post by Sirina »

Vote: Dean Harper
for voting for me and for saying I am the last to confirm when we still need confirmation from the last player.

Besides, as IC Dean Harper is the most experienced player here and will pose the biggest threat for the town if he turns out to be Mafia.

PS. Thanks for being IC Dean, I really appreciate that an experienced player like you is willing to spend some time showing us newbies the ropes.
LightWolf
LightWolf
Townie
LightWolf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:32 am

Post by LightWolf »

Clearly it was a random vote, there is no real logic behind random votes, that's what makes them random.

And while yes he can be mafia too, but that's true for every single one of us, IC or not.

I suggest everyone reads few finished games, and if the IC seems to be jumping on fail logic then yes that's a good reason to jump on him, but as I said everyone can do that.
Sirina
Sirina
Townie
Sirina
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:48 am

Post by Sirina »

Clearly it was a random vote, there is no real logic behind random votes, that's what makes them random.
I was reading a few threads about random voting yesterday, seems like a lot of people don't like them and I say I agree. I know they are useful for getting the game started, but in my opinion players should strive to find other reasons for voting for someone as early on as possible. I'd rather find some sort of reason to vote for someone, even though the logic behind that reason isn't especially strong. If we all just keep throwing random votes out there we won't really get anywhere. What I was doing was try to spark off some sort of debate. I thought that was one of the main ways in which persons move this game along...Am I mistaken?

And while yes he can be mafia too, but that's true for every single one of us, IC or not.
Yes, I am aware that each and every one of us can potentially be mafia. My point with singling out Dean Harper as a potentiel threat was that IF he turns out to be mafia he would probably be a bigger threat to the town, than IF someone like me playing their first game turns out to be mafia. There is no doubt in my mind that Dean Harper with his experience will be much better at e.g. spotting a potiental cop than I would be.
hexsixsic6
hexsixsic6
Townie
hexsixsic6
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:37 am

Post by hexsixsic6 »

Sirina wrote:There is no doubt in my mind that Dean Harper with his experience will be much better at e.g. spotting a potiental cop than I would be.
Interesting that you bring up the cop so early...
Sirina
Sirina
Townie
Sirina
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:58 am

Post by Sirina »

Interesting that you bring up the cop so early...
Actually I find it more interesting why Lightwolf decides to come to the defence of another player this early in the game...
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:59 am

Post by HackerHuck »

Vote: Sirina

Dean is more likely to be town than mafia, so you're using poor statistical analysis to try and eliminate the IC.

Here's a question for you. Is a scum IC more harmful to the town than a town IC is helpful?
hexsixsic6
hexsixsic6
Townie
hexsixsic6
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:02 am

Post by hexsixsic6 »

Sirina wrote: Actually I find it more interesting why Lightwolf decides to come to the defence of another player this early in the game...
and an IC at that, you're right, that is interesting
Sirina
Sirina
Townie
Sirina
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:13 am

Post by Sirina »

Here's a question for you. Is a scum IC more harmful to the town than a town IC is helpful?
I was actually hoping to avoid this question in order to not alert the Scum to this option in case Dean Harper turns out to be Town. But here goes, I find the IC to be more harmful to the town as scum than helpful to the town if good, because I don't think the chances of a townie IC surviving night 1 are very high.

The scum already know if the IC is Town or Mafia, and since they have next to zero chance of actually spotting a cop on day 1, the best strategy for the Scum is to eliminate the player that poses the biggest threat to them. In my opinion with almost no info to go on the first day, the scum will most likely choose to eliminate the most experienced player, which in this setup will always be the IC.

Now, when I put my vote on the IC I wasn't actually intending to keep my vote there. I was just trying to start of a debate in which the scum would be easier to spot. But Lighwolf coming to his defence looks highly suspicious to me and at least at this point I think I might be on to something and will keep my vote where it is for now.
LightWolf
LightWolf
Townie
LightWolf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:17 am

Post by LightWolf »

Well as I said random votes are random, they are there to spark discussions, no one will get quickly bandwagoned because of them, the reason I jumped to defend the IC was, because I found the way Sirina jumped on such a little random thing strange.

Also the point is: unlike newbies who can get away with little mistakes, ICs have a much harder time as an experienced player should clearly not be making those kinds of mistakes. We don't need to ignore the IC just because he could be mafia, just use our heads and make sure what he tells us is right.
Sirina
Sirina
Townie
Sirina
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:31 am

Post by Sirina »

Well as I said random votes are random, they are there to spark discussions, no one will get quickly bandwagoned because of them, the reason I jumped to defend the IC was, because I found the way Sirina jumped on such a little random thing strange.
You do realize Dean Harper's vote wasn't random, right? I don't see why jumping on such a random thing is weirder than e.g. voting for someone just because they were the last to post. We need to throw some names out there to get things started, that's what Dean Harper did by voting for me, and that's what I did by voting for him.
LightWolf
LightWolf
Townie
LightWolf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:43 am

Post by LightWolf »

Sirina wrote:
You do realize Dean Harper's vote wasn't random, right? I don't see why jumping on such a random thing is weirder than e.g. voting for someone just because they were the last to post. We need to throw some names out there to get things started, that's what Dean Harper did by voting for me, and that's what I did by voting for him.
Dean himself stated that it's random when he voted. The thing is, when you do random votes you look at how people react to them, in this case your reaction to Dean's vote was attacking him as an IC and saying the logic behind his random vote is wrong.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”