How to Focus on Scum and get them Lynched

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #20 (isolation #0) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:43 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Albert wrote:
Do not get into a logical debate with your target. This always ends with "I have my views, you have yours". Only reply to what is necessary. Build the tension until your opponent feels the heat, is ready to explode, to give up and surrender at your feet. Everything your victim does at this point will lead to one of two things that MUST be pointed out and formally written for the town to see your thought process:

You see them act scummier and scummier.

They convince you that you are wrong.

Other town members (such as Setael in this example *pg20) will often try to build their own cases. Ignore their logical arguments and tell them bluntly that the player they suspect will not be lynched that day; maybe tomorrow.

Re-direct the town's attention every time they steer you away from your path. You are on a straight collision course with the scum and nothing can stop you. It always comes down to who wants it more, and who is more confident in their choice.
I don't at all agree with this.

First of all, you usually WANT to engage in a logical discussion with your target. You want to break down all of their arguments and defenses using logic, you want to logically go through, point by point, and show how their actions make sense as scum, and be willing to go into as much detail as people want to hear. That's how you get someone lynched. It puts you in a high-risk position, but it also forces the town to pay attention.

On a more general note, I tend to think this dosn't work out well. The problem is that more and more people are playing like this ALL THE TIME, which means that townie A is off trying to do his wagon, townie B is trying to do something else, and townie C is trying to do something else, and no one listens to anyone else or is willing to change their minds, so the town never goes anywhere.

Every once in a while, I will get hyperfocused on someone and drag the town over to a lynch on that person, but while that can work it's a high-risk move; if you're wrong, it hurts the town badly and hurts your own credibility. I'm pretty sure that the fact that I focused on Fonz like this day 1 in the Lost Boys game and ended up being wrong was one of the main reasons I eventually got lynched in that game, and a significant reason the town ended up losing. There are times to use everything you've got to bring the focus onto one person, but it is definatly not something you should do all the time, and you still should still pay attention to side issues and be willing to jump off the bandwagon you started if the moment seems right.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #22 (isolation #1) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:45 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Also, I agree with Glork. Empty retoric dosn't do all that much. The main point of posts are:

1. To convey your logical side of the argument

and

2. To communicate how invested you are in the argument, how much of your own personal capitial you're willing to invest in this case.

"Can we lynch Albert yet?" can be a good post, but that's not because it's going to convicne anyone on a logical basis or because of rhetoric, it's because of #2.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #29 (isolation #2) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:03 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Not sure what you're getting at here, Albert. Glork is not at all doing what you talked about, he's actually commenting on several different people, and giving specific reasons for him comments. Something like "Patrick's switch to Apple still feels weird, too" or "Ripley's attack on apple still seems wonky" isn't really logic per se, but it's valid evidence that other people in the thread can look at and form opinions on, so I wouldn't call it "fluff" or "rhetoric" or anything.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”