School Survivor (Game Over, Congrats Hermione!)

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Eventually you'll learn that being right isn't what matters and that finding common ground with people you care about is what matters. one day.
green shirt thursdays
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Post by Vijarada »

You took this game more seriously than anyone, CC. Don't say you don't want people to give a fuck. Cause you give a fuck. That's not a bad thing but...
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Post by hiplop »

The meta sucks to the point where i dont find it fun. If juno made that one move, i could buy it.she was playing super well until she didnt pull the trigger. Past 6 games have blatantly shown a clear pattern that does not align with what I love about survivor. People have this fetishization with risk aversion that i find not fun. Everyone takes it so damn seriously and cant smile at the absurdity of some things

I thought neds was great. Had a lot of fun watching basically the entire time. But with the meta the way it is I dont think anyone should bother spending as much time as is necessary to do well in it. The jury rewards not doing anything and the players favour crazy high levels of emotion. People are using these games as diaries/ways to cope with their emotions and its sucking the fun out of whole thing.
third best scummer of all time
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 99, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 97, BROseidon wrote:
In post 87, hiplop wrote:Bro i dont want to play anymore because the meta of the site is rewarding play that is anti risk. Please dont attack me for not wanting to participate in a game i no longer find fun.
This is a far cry from saying "the meta sucks and Juno's near-win proves it"

So, yeah.
can you stop actively being cocky to people who are leaving a community they love because of the toxicity?

it'd really help
Can you not let someone play the victim who was part of the problem?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Post by BROseidon »

"Part of being a friend is being willing to call someone on their bullshit"
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 104, BROseidon wrote:"Part of being a friend is being willing to call someone on their bullshit"
"Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live."
green shirt thursdays
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Post by Chevre »

I think it is a bit tricky though, because some people have always wanted to play that risk-averse game and do it well. To invalidate it cuts into a big portion of people who are playing that way and, I think, playing the game with a proper sense of laxness that allows it to be fun for them. I feel like I can have a lot more fun if I play UTRish, even if that's not going to net me the win, than to risk and to risk poorly and have the whole game come crashing down around you.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Post by CuddlyCaucasian »

In post 98, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 96, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:I think my biggest problem is everyone taking everything so seriously to the point where it isn't fun at all to be involved in, and makes people feel like shit afterward. That's why I had such a good time with Spookz and RSX, cause no one gave a shit. Like hiplop said, people aren't leaving to send some message, people leave because it stopped being fun.
That's fair, too.

I've long been arguing for the "game is a game" mentality, but I see how that can be problematic too.

But I also think you're shining a dried turd in saying you loved Spookz because you didn't and you bitched on Skype to me about that, too. About how people weren't taking it seriously or trying and that bothered you.

On the one hand: if someone is being sorta emotional, that's part of the game we all play.
On the other hand: if someone is being too extra emotional and is being toxic, that saps the fun for everyone.

There is a middle ground that is hard to define.
I didn't think me jumping on the DAN IS SOOOO MEAN bandwagon would be bad because it helped my game to paint him that way.
After the fact? I see that Dan's perception in the game was a source of stress for you guys, and that makes me sad that I helped fuel that.
That's very fair, at the time of Spookz I was frustrated that no one cared about it to the point of active discussion that people constantly have about past Survivor games. I was bummed that no one was doing much, but I'm always a pessimist in the moment, and looking back on it I have so many more fond memories of that game than I do of any Survivor game. My complaints were with the "legacy" of the game rather than how much fun it was for me personally.

RE: Vijarada, yeah not wanting people to give a fuck is very much an exaggeration haha. I put a lot of care and effort into these games, and deep down I don't think I'll stop wanting the best for this community. I'm tired of people putting themselves above the game and disregarding whatever doesn't have to do with them, because it makes whatever I do feel thankless (I'm not gonna keep going on this point because I complained enough during the game).

tl;dr I want people to try and win and appreciate what the mods do, but not hate life
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

"CC is an objectively attractive person." - Crazy

"You look like a happy version of Trent Reznor." - LicketyQuickety

"Do you practice sounding like you're high all the time?" - xofelf
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Post by hiplop »

In post 106, Chevre wrote:I think it is a bit tricky though, because some people have always wanted to play that risk-averse game and do it well. To invalidate it cuts into a big portion of people who are playing that way and, I think, playing the game with a proper sense of laxness that allows it to be fun for them. I feel like I can have a lot more fun if I play UTRish, even if that's not going to net me the win, than to risk and to risk poorly and have the whole game come crashing down around you.
Not the same thing. I mean, im someone who literally plays utr games. Like every time but mundo. It's what i do.

Utr games being recognized isnt the problem. Its that if you take any risk whatsoever, the jury punishes you for it. Even if it paid off.
third best scummer of all time
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:03 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 106, Chevre wrote:I think it is a bit tricky though, because some people have always wanted to play that risk-averse game and do it well. To invalidate it cuts into a big portion of people who are playing that way and, I think, playing the game with a proper sense of laxness that allows it to be fun for them. I feel like I can have a lot more fun if I play UTRish, even if that's not going to net me the win, than to risk and to risk poorly and have the whole game come crashing down around you.
I mean I literally won last time playing the UTR risk averse game so like I get it

but there has to be room for both and ALSO nontoxic juries
green shirt thursdays
SummerInWonderland
SummerInWonderland
Goon
SummerInWonderland
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Post by SummerInWonderland »

can we talk about how a decent amount of players called me a bully, disgusting, ass and so on. like idc w.e but when people are now complaining about the spec thread? cmon.
specs are like viewers and if they wanna say someones move sucked or they are not cheering for someone let them because as players you all do the same.

Also things that do not break the rules should not be punished.
Using the time allowed and doing quick wagons is a STRATEGY not abuse.
telling someone they will not win because they are up against stronger people is not BULLYING.

you can call me a jerk and what not but I don't think its fair to pull that. there is a difference between personal level and game level. I was told in the game by a player I went "beyond the game" which was hard to deal with. This game was people trying to find the line, we dont know where that is clearly. Was juno crossing the line calling me names? did I cross the line in using the deadline? did xof cross the line by posting without permission? did Aria cross the line in saying she wished Dan quit the game?

do we want emotional manipulation in the game? do we want people talking about having panic attacks/stress/so on. We should def not let the opinion of what we think the mods/spec think affect votes/decisions/opinions on the game. For example Aria/Juno legitimately saw me as a bad human made judgments about my character while Herm supported it because it advanced her game. I think this causes its own conflict!
Curiouser and curiouser!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Post by Chevre »

I'm off-base, then.

I just wish I had the solution to this . . . it's devastating to have come back to so much up in flames, especially when we just got a shiny new subforum and mod.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Post by Vijarada »

Oh no not the mythical line. I'd even rather talk about karass than discuss the line.
SummerInWonderland
SummerInWonderland
Goon
SummerInWonderland
Goon
Goon

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:12 pm

I almost quit because a player made the personal judgment that what happened went beyond the game.

that is an issue. not the person or w.e but we need to make sure people feel comfortable in games as well as knowing what is/not okay. we cannot make those judgements as players within the game.
Curiouser and curiouser!
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

Or in this case not taking a risk was not punished. The core of what was upsetting was that Juno openly decided not to flip, not to make a move, and still nearly won.
Maybe she was even right that doing that would have alienated Aria and Herm and given her no chance at all to win because they'd prefer being upset over the good move?
(I don't think Reck is like that but Aria certainly was.) That is I think the source of spec hatred seeing as most specs were risk taking leader types.

The cartoonish emotional exaggerations that turned the game into an I Hate Dan squad were really uncomfortable to watch.
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:15 pm

In post 112, Vijarada wrote:Oh no not the mythical line. I'd even rather talk about karass than discuss the line.
"Tanlines, no buffet lines" - Carson Kreissley
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 114, Shadoweh wrote:Or in this case not taking a risk was not punished. The core of what was upsetting was that Juno openly decided not to flip, not to make a move, and still nearly won.
Maybe she was even right that doing that would have alienated Aria and Herm and given her no chance at all to win because they'd prefer being upset over the good move?
(I don't think Reck is like that but Aria certainly was.) That is I think the source of spec hatred seeing as most specs were risk taking leader types.

The cartoonish emotional exaggerations that turned the game into an I Hate Dan squad were really uncomfortable to watch.
In post 64, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 62, Shadoweh wrote:Reck, you voted for Shaco. Don't you have some sort of idea why the least controversial/not risky/'nicest' person gets votes? It's certainly not because the jury cares less.
Besides, the winner of this game wasn't that type of player, and DBZA/Medevac happened. Y'all might be overreacting a bit.

(PSV and Eon are terrible examples of pagongs going out of style imo with Bluebell and Reinbow stronk :P )
I think when a large swath of the community says "Hey this isn't just like disagreements this is a big deal" coming in and telling people they're overreacting is pretty fucking insensitive and not constructive at all? We just had the entire modteam of Neds quit the community after this. And the runner up. Let's stop being like "oh well I think I'm technically right so neener-neener" and instead of worrying about being right, start worrying about finding a solution that makes people feel more at ease.
ill keep quoting this until you read it :)
green shirt thursdays
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:17 pm

Post by Vijarada »

In post 115, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:
In post 112, Vijarada wrote:Oh no not the mythical line. I'd even rather talk about karass than discuss the line.
"Tanlines, no buffet lines" - Carson Kreissley
Right that's it azmo was robbed
SummerInWonderland
SummerInWonderland
Goon
SummerInWonderland
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:17 pm

guys I am really only posting to look at my "best mish mash newbie" sticker thing

aaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy
Curiouser and curiouser!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:17 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

the avatar is perfect
green shirt thursdays
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Post by Vijarada »

PSA on content less posting, summer
SummerInWonderland
SummerInWonderland
Goon
SummerInWonderland
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:21 pm

In post 48, xRECKONERx wrote:also i really wanna gloat on ONE THING
Dan wrote:hermione wants to come 5th place, dear god. Why does she not understand this game.

If dick goes home here my last move was a very very big mistake. In the end dick going home here hurts hermione too, she just doesn't know it yet because everyone is smart enough to know to tell her what she wants to hear up and until they want to vote her out.
okay that's it

reck you are the guy with the big obnoxious truck and I am just walking across the street minding my own business, you honk at me and say something jerkish and drive away with much angst.

its okay because we all know it just means you overcompensating for.... something ;)
Curiouser and curiouser!
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Oh god there's a joke I can make there but I don't think it's mine to make.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 121, SummerInWonderland wrote:
In post 48, xRECKONERx wrote:also i really wanna gloat on ONE THING
Dan wrote:hermione wants to come 5th place, dear god. Why does she not understand this game.

If dick goes home here my last move was a very very big mistake. In the end dick going home here hurts hermione too, she just doesn't know it yet because everyone is smart enough to know to tell her what she wants to hear up and until they want to vote her out.
okay that's it

reck you are the guy with the big obnoxious truck and I am just walking across the street minding my own business, you honk at me and say something jerkish and drive away with much angst.

its okay because we all know it just means you overcompensating for.... something ;)
im overcompensating for my lack of security in myself

downstairs tho everything is fine
green shirt thursdays
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:34 pm

My enlarged security in myself is because i'm compensating for everything downstairs

Return to “Social Game Archive”