[SETUP] Two-Fold Chosen Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

[SETUP] Two-Fold Chosen Mafia

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:26 am

Post by Umlaut »

I was idly considering a multiball setup based on Chosen Mafia. I've just thrown this together without thinking it through at all.

Mafiosi

Werewolves

Chosen Townies

Fated Townies

T
Townies

Mechanics
  • Day start.
  • Pre-game, the Mafia and Werewolves each select one player in the game to veto. These player cannot be "chosen" or "fated" respectively. Four of the remaining townies are randomly selected by the moderator to be the Chosen Townies and Fated Townies.
  • The Mafia are told who was Chosen and the Werewolves are told who was Fated, but no one else is told, including the Chosen and Fated themselves.
  • As long as both Chosen Townies are alive, neither can be shot or endgamed by the Mafia (i.e., 1 or 2 Mafia vs. 2 Chosen is a town win).
  • As long as both Fated Townies are alive, neither can be mauled or endgamed by the Werewolves (i.e., 1 or 2 Werewolves vs. 2 Fated is a town win).
  • Chosen Townies flip "Chosen Townie"; Fated Townies flip "Fated Townie".
  • The town cannot no-lynch; plurality deadline rules apply to lynches.

Upon writing this setup out, I've already got two obvious questions and one less obvious one:
  1. Does anyone actually want to play this?
  2. What's the correct value of T?
  3. How can the mod select Chosen and Fated Townies fairly? (Or, for the mathematically inclined, how do we uniformly choose disjoint size-two subsets of {1,...,T-1} and {2,...T}?)
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:55 am

Post by Umlaut »

Hmm. If both factions share a group of Chosen, they may be able to identify one another by looking for people casting shade on Chosen, which would up the town win rate through increased crosskills.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (isolation #2) » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 am

Post by Umlaut »

Creature wrote:I wonder if it would work if both factions had each other as "Chosen townies".
Do you mean that as a possibility or as the exact setup? That is, do you mean
  • Chosen are selected from all non-mafia except the one vetoed; they may or may not be werewolves. Fated are selected symmetrically.
    or
  • The mafia and werewolves know one another's identities but cannot night-kill one another; they must get them lynched instead.
The latter is interesting (actually, very interesting) but maybe too far from the spirit of Chosen Mafia.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (isolation #3) » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:24 am

Post by Umlaut »

What if they share a PT as well?

This is interesting but I wouldn't want to call it "Two-Fold Chosen Mafia". Maybe one of us can make another thread for it.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (isolation #4) » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 am

Post by Umlaut »

Bumping this old thread to see if there's any more feedback on the 2:2:3:5 variant; if it's well-received I might try running it.

Two-Fold Chosen Mafia, Mk. 22
Mafia

Werewolves

Chosen Townies

Vanilla Townies

Mechanics
  • Day start.
  • Pre-game, the Mafia and Werewolves each select one player in the game to veto. These players cannot become Chosen. Three of the remaining Town players are randomly selected by the moderator to be the Chosen.
  • The Mafia and Werewolves are both told who was Chosen, but no one else is told, including the Chosen themselves. Town role PMs simply say "Townie" and don't specify Vanilla vs. Chosen.
  • As long as at least two Chosen Townies are alive, none of them can be shot or mauled at night. If all Vanilla Townies die and at least two Chosen Townies are alive, the Town wins.
  • No-lynching is not an option; plurality deadline rules apply to lynches. (Mafia and Werewolves can still no-kill.)
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (isolation #5) » Fri May 12, 2023 7:46 am

Post by Umlaut »

Bumping one more time since I never got much commentary on this variant; CFJ's comments were good but more would have been nice. (Contrary to them, though, I sort of like Prisoner's Dilemma-esque mechanics.)

Would anyone be interested in playing it?
Does anyone have an opinion on the balance?
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”