new fire emblem fuck yeah.

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:27 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 2, Spiffeh wrote:FE is still my favorite game series though so everyone should play it.
Spiffeh I think we might be able to be friends after all!
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:28 am

Post by Vi »

In post 47, Andrius wrote:I never use Saizo. Mainly because his child is Gaius and I dislike the redone child characters. Kaze has no strength and my Kagero always turns out bad. Always. Luckily she makes a good wife for Ryoma becausr I have no idea what to do with him. shrug Enemy Ninjas are indeed the worst.

I actually dislike Odin. The only time I liked him was his S Support with Nah because shes like treat me like a woman not like a child. I have a hard time finding male characters I like in the recent games. :/

At least Laslow has Peri for best support of heartwarming.
The Awakening trio is so much better in Fates than they were in their original game. I'd give them a chance. Asugi is indeed a catastrophic failure of writing and makes me curse all fanservice forever. Caeldori and Rhajat are okay.

Ryoma's wife can be anyone who can handle THE LOBSTER.
FE 4 can be super slow. I liked it for the first generation; the second generation had the terrible desert map which was almost unbearable though Shanan was amazing. I got to the last chapter but never finished it.
The desert Chapter is slow but fortunately you don't really have to spend much time actually doing desert things. The last boss of that Chapter is bullshit though.
Radiant Dawn had some great music (The Devoted, Ascension or whatever the tower battle theme was)
The battle themes are fine, but I spend more time listening to the map themes :/
I love Justice RIP
I will fight you.
but I still cant stomach that storyline
Conquest's plot is better as a drinking game.
And, again, killing Scarlet would break my poor heart.
In fairness, Scarlet stands a good chance of breaking your poor heart without you killing her. She's quite a threat.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:29 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 16, Spiffeh wrote:Like I don't think I've played an FE where I don't care about the character this much since Shadow Dragon
Yeah the characters are huge for me and FE11 was terrible in this regards; also why I will bever play Conquest.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:30 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

We need to get Raskolnikov in here for his opinion on Sorrowful Prince Pelleas.
But seriously there was sooooooo much good stuff in RD. Echoes, Grasping Truth, the one for the Dheginsea fight, its version of Mist's theme which didn't make the game, the 3rd version of At Peace which also didn't make the game, Zelgius's music, the extended Oliver theme, the one from the Endgame dream sequences whose name I can't remember, the cutscene remix of creeping serpent or w/e.

I absolutely love the music surrounding what's-her-face's fall, especially the map music from the following chapter, but there's also the Id musics which were all good and especially

The only songs from PoR that truly stood out for me were Father's Back, Rally the Spirit, and the Daein/Ashnard/Black Knight themed musics.
The music in RD's Endgame chapters alone blow the rest of the series out of the water for me.

FE8's Lyon musics were all good, Determination, the Endgame music, just lots of stuff that I don't remember anymore since I haven't played it in years.
FE7 had Distant Utopia, the final boss one, Requiem accompanied by the most moving scenes in the series.

There's a version of Tiki's theme from FE3 that stands out so much for me as well.
Last edited by RadiantCowbells on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:32 am

Post by Vi »

In post 53, RadiantCowbells wrote:We need to get Raskolnikov in here for his opinion on Sorrowful Prince Pelleas.
Good song.
Actually most of the cutscene music is good in RD. Except for what they did to Sanaki's Theme and
Pirates of the
Tibarn's theme.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:37 am

Post by Andrius »

I, uh, never cared for Gaius or Tharja to begin with. Cordelia is just meh for me. Was the default wife for Lonqu until I was converted to Lissa/Lonqu.

I just cant handle the lobster. Hes too good he doesnt need a wife hes just the broken prepromote of Birthright. And weapons dont break so that cant balance him out like Balming did for Shanan.

Yeah but MDefense is so rare amd half the level is dark or thunder mages. Not even Aless can make up for that headache.

Of all the things relates to FE you want to fite me over JUSTICE RIP? WHAT

My days of heavy drinking are behind me sorry Conquest I know you have Flora but I have Revalations so you are irrelevant.

Yeah, Ive heard she is strong as an enemy.

Oh also Yuri Lowenthal best voice for Corrin makes me happy hes in both this and XCX.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:38 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 54, Vi wrote:
Pirates of the
Tibarn's theme.
On this, we agree.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:48 am

Post by Vi »

In post 55, Andrius wrote:Oh also Yuri Lowenthal best voice for Corrin makes me happy hes in both this and XCX.
I'm not good for voice actors. Which voice is this? (2 is best for both sexes; 3 is second place for both)
Of all the things relates to FE you want to fite me over JUSTICE RIP? WHAT
It's as dull, tedious, and unfortunately obligatory as all of Japan's self-inserts.
That said, it's useful in that it plays in all the dull, tedious, and unfortunately obligatory Chapters so you know within seconds what you've gotten into.

Conquest also has JUSTICE in its most manly form, if it helps.
Last edited by Vi on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:54 am

Post by Vi »

In post 53, RadiantCowbells wrote:The only songs from PoR that truly stood out for me were Father's Back, Rally the Spirit, and the Daein/Ashnard/Black Knight themed musics.
All of the royals' themes, all of the overworld map themes (except the last one, which was hammy), all of the battle map themes, and yes, the music for Ashnard being evil. Like respect Congregation of Ambition that song was so good.

I don't feel like it's useful to compare the music from before FE9 because of the technical limitations. A good FE8 song can't hold a candle to later songs simply because it's in MIDI and the games after that were
orchestrated
in a literal sense of the word. That said, if we're going back that far, I'm nominating:
*FE8: Follow Me!
*FE8: Truth, Despair, and Hope
*FE6: the gaiden theme
*FE4: the themes to Ch.s 2, 3, and 10
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:57 am

Post by Andrius »

IIRC he's Voice 2.

I mean, I won't fight the dull/tedious/etc stuff because that's basically FE: Fates in a nutshell for me since the plot is weak and it feels like its here for the characters and/or dating sim/parenting sim etc.
Don't get me wrong, I love Morgan and Brady. But I feel like the series has shifted visibly and I'm definitely part of the old guard who just scratches their heads.
Heck I didn't even want to buy Fates because of the changes etc but I caved in for a 14hour airplane flight.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:58 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 58, Vi wrote:*FE4: the themes to Ch.s 2, 3, and 10
No Doors of Destiny? (5 in case you can't recall)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:07 am

Post by Vi »

In post 59, Andrius wrote:I caved in for a 14hour airplane flight.
I feel your pain so much on this. I got Planet Robobot for mine, and I couldn't keep playing it long enough to make the flight bearable.

Spoiler: side note that should probably be in a different thread
I came away from Robobot thinking the Kirby series should either
1) give in and become a Real Shmup
2) give in and become Majora's Mask
3) die immediately
because they basically did everything short of outright say they had no new ideas besides "robots are cool".

IDK. I think the FE series is constantly reinventing itself, and we should be grateful for the times when they figure out how to do something right. Even the Tellius series had some blatant and unjustifiable weak points. Although I don't think they're going to give up on the low-grade waifu simulation any time soon since, let's face it, that's what saved the franchise.

If Conquest wasn't fun to play I would probably have given up on the franchise. :/
No Doors of Destiny? (5 in case you can't recall)
It felt really heavy, and the chords at the beginning of the loop are too angsty for how often they play. It definitely does give you the impression that you're heading for bad news, though.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:12 am

In post 59, Andrius wrote:IIRC he's Voice 2.

I mean, I won't fight the dull/tedious/etc stuff because that's basically FE: Fates in a nutshell for me since the plot is weak and it feels like its here for the characters and/or dating sim/parenting sim etc.
Don't get me wrong, I love Morgan and Brady. But I feel like the series has shifted visibly and I'm definitely part of the old guard who just scratches their heads.
Heck I didn't even want to buy Fates because of the changes etc but I caved in for a 14hour airplane flight.
Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I still loved Awakening but Fates was really missing something for me. The quality of the writing has gone way, way down.

I think Radiant Dawn was the end of Fire Emblem being a truly cinematographic experience.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:56 am

Post by Vi »

In post 62, RadiantCowbells wrote:I think Radiant Dawn was the end of Fire Emblem being a truly cinematographic experience.
But fanservice! Why make huge 300-style battle scenes when you can spend that time animating cleavage? (While I stand by being nonsexual and understand that there was a lack of gender diversity in these scenes, I gotta say the laguz were hawt.)

After listening to the Awakening soundtrack again I'm really starting to waver on my Fates OST > Awakening OST stance. I think that a lot of the player phase songs sound really samey, and that probably contributed to my original rating, but I didn't hate any of the songs, which is more than I can say for Fates.

I'll probably listen to Fates' OST to be sure since it's also fantastic on the whole and it conveys a lot more variety than Awakening, but etc.

Also hearing the original Id ~ Purpose reminds me of just how awful the Smash arrange was.
Don't get me wrong, I love Morgan and Brady.
excoos me there is a strong lack of Lucina in this sentence

tbeh I didn't get most of the children in Awakening - partly because grinding and partly because I felt like it cheapened the first generation - and it's my understanding that I didn't miss much.

On that note, the one thing I got out of Heirs of Fate (Fates DLC) - besides the awesome Vs. Player Character battle theme - was that the second gen of Fates really should have had their own game. I mean, how can you turn down the excellent adventures of Frat Bro Lord, Fabulous Contempful Cross-Dressing Lord, Wannabe Protagonist Who's Way Out of His Depth Lord, and Adorkable Comic Relief Lord with a side order of Shade-Throwing Plot Device Man Who Should Get His Ass Handed To Him? It's all the comedy and personality conflict you could want, all in one place.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:57 am

Post by Ankamius »

As someone who has never played a Fire Emblem game, what is the best way to get started in 'getting into' it?
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:26 am

I recommend starting, in the following order, Path of Radiance if you have a Gamecube, Awakening if you have a 3DS, or Blazing Sword (Fire Emblem with no subtitle) if you have a GBA and want a retro experience. Path of Radiance has the best story, Blazing Sword has the best characters and gameplay, Awakening is sort of the middle ground and also has a bunch of new mechanics that a lot of people like and is also a fantastic game in its own right.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:55 am

Post by Vi »

Path of Radiance is a good start, yeah.

Otherwise, as long as you're not starting with Radiant Dawn (direct sequel to PoR) or anything in Japanese, you're probably going to be fine.
Last edited by Vi on Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:01 am

I'm hesitant to say that people should start blazing sword because it's incredibly depressing and I feel like it's a hard place to start the series.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:07 am

Post by Vi »

In post 67, RadiantCowbells wrote:I'm hesitant to say that people should start blazing sword because it's incredibly depressing and I feel like it's a hard place to start the series.
"Depressing" is not a word I would use to describe FE7 on the whole (or even in part tbqh). Path of Radiance turns dark hella quick, and of course Awakening has
that

FE7 is cartoons and saving the world and a dash of politics and a dude with a turban with occasional plot beyond that.

---

FE7 (Fire Emblem, otherwise Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword, GBA): The first game released in the US and what most people use as their baseline. Really cool graphics, generally well-balanced, and player characters feel awesome.
FE8 (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, GBA): FE7, but shorter, more polished, and with twins and a world map.
FE9 (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, GCN): Completely overhauled mechanics with a Skill system and a Shove system. Definitely the most well-thought-out plot of all the games, but the difficulty is somewhat low because this was the game where Nintendo was like "lol muricans are casuals" and removed the hardest difficulty. Gameplay is much slower than other games because they forgot to give an option to fully skip animations. Social justice themes are very real.
FE10 (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Wii): A direct sequel to Path of Radiance. It does its own thing and it doesn't care what you think about it. Accept it on its own terms and it's amazing.
FE11 (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, NDS): A very faithful remake of the first Fire Emblem game. Dry, but mechanically sound and simple, so it's a good game for someone who wants a solid TBS.
FE13 (Fire Emblem: Awakening, NDS): The first installment in the latest generation. Includes a customizable player avatar, a world map, loads of customization for units, a Skill system, DLC, the ability for units to have children, and much more.
FE14 (Fire Emblem: Fates, NDS): An installment that is its own trilogy. Heavily improves on Awakening's engine in every way. Choose Birthright for the ability to go through the game in whatever way seems most fun to you; choose Conquest for a classic FE experience in the modern style that will provide an engaging challenge. The plot is something that I'd advise you to read but not to take seriously.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:08 am

Post by Andrius »

Vi wrote:Fates OST > Awakening OST stance.
I think we've agreed on something once in this thread. haha
Still doesn't deter me from wanting to run a Geneaology of the Holy War game with the Holy Blood mechanics you gave me as Alvis that one game.
Also using the original Engrish names because Alvis > Arvis.
Also hearing the original Id ~ Purpose reminds me of just how awful the Smash arrange was.
Agreed.

excoos me there is a strong lack of Lucina in this sentence
I mean, I always played as Male Avatar so Brady/Morgan are best children. Yes, I marry Maribelle.
Lucina is a decent enough character, though it seems her entire character is limited by the LAST OF MY LINE SAVE THE WORLD so we never see her do something outside of that. Which, I guess, maybe fuels some of her relationship options but w/e.
tbeh I didn't get most of the children in Awakening - partly because grinding and partly because I felt like it cheapened the first generation - and it's my understanding that I didn't miss much.
Yeah, I really only love a small amount of the families.

I liked the Awakening kids better than Fates.
The only children I get regularly are Kana and Kiragi. Sophie is super hit-and-miss because her father is and all the mothers I pick for her turn out to be terrible.
Its pretty hard to mess up Shiro b/c dad is LOBSTER.

In post 64, Ankamius wrote:As someone who has never played a Fire Emblem game, what is the best way to get started in 'getting into' it?
Don't start with Awakening. Its a good game but you should start older. Focus on the gameplay, not the dating sim elements that may or may not turn you off.
FE 7 (Blazing Sword) and FE 9 (Path of Radiance) are where I'd tell someone new to start.
Fates may turn you off with the dating/marriage/parenting sim crap.
Awakening is better than Fates b/c it has a better story and doesn't rely on dating/marriage/sim.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:16 am

Post by Andrius »

I pretend 9 and 10 are the same game and they're collectively probably #2 on my list because 10's lack of supports is terrible and wrong but together they tell a full story which is amazing.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:57 am

Post by Vi »

Andrius wrote:I think we've agreed on something once in this thread. haha
Full disclosure: Without suggesting that anything I've said is not my actual opinion, I'm actually trying to provoke waifu wars and such because I'm bored. Come on, let's have a fun thread :?
Yes, I marry Maribelle.
You can do a
lot
worse.
Lucina is a decent enough character, though it seems her entire character is limited by the LAST OF MY LINE SAVE THE WORLD so we never see her do something outside of that.
Well, yes. She's all about I MUST SAVE MY WORLD to such a degree that she has no idea how to act outside that setting and it's adorable.
The only children I get regularly are Kana and Kiragi.
Y...you're marrying Takumi? Oh god. :P
Sophie is super hit-and-miss because her father is and all the mothers I pick for her turn out to be terrible.
Sophie is super-mediocre no matter what tbh; the major thing she has going for her is that you're probably using Silas (esp. in Conquest) so she's likely to exist.
Also, in one of my random reclass runs I wound up with her in a Strategist class (with Felicia as her mother IIRC). The nice thing about kids is that even if you do stupid things like that their stats regress to the mean, so they can't be THAT bad.
Focus on the gameplay, not the dating sim elements that may or may not turn you off.
To be honest a lot of people play newFE for the hawtness. No one admits to it but it's true. Camilla can be your MILF, well-endowed big sister, and cow-eared yandere lover all at the same time to maximize the potential that you'll buy Fates. :V
Awakening is better than Fates b/c it has a better story and doesn't rely on dating/marriage/sim.
On both accounts, I'd add "...but still..."~
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Post by Andrius »

I mean I think having a waifu wars is terrible but Im happy to discuss. The former is also dependent on strong opinions and/or feelings.

I can do alot worse because theres no one better!
I dont care about growths or crap; I like Maribelle and Morgan and Brady are the best kids.

Uhhh thats not what I meant. Avatar/Scarlet and Takumi/Oboro. Always male avatar. Something about the Kana/Kiragi is adorable.

Yeah I use Silas but he generally turns out terrible. Idk how. Every time bar one; maybe Hinoka as his wife carried him to victory? Idk

I could care less about Camilla and the Malig Knight class is p. bad. I gave in for a plane flight.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Post by Vi »

Malig Knight is awesome >:-[ Awesome name, cool set of weapons, cool Skills, and... uh... two people can use it well, max.

Silas gets a lot better when someone explains his personal skill. +3/+3 in the early game on a horsie for the low price of dunking Corrin to half HP is way too good as long as you remember to forget to heal them.

Also I wasn't referring to growths when I said you could do worse than Maribelle; I was thinking of people like Vaike, Tharja, and Noire.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:48 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 73, Vi wrote:Malig Knight is awesome >:-[ Awesome name, cool set of weapons, cool Skills, and... uh... two people can use it well, max.

Silas gets a lot better when someone explains his personal skill. +3/+3 in the early game on a horsie for the low price of dunking Corrin to half HP is way too good as long as you remember to forget to heal them.

Also I wasn't referring to growths when I said you could do worse than Maribelle; I was thinking of people like Vaike, Tharja, and Noire.
I think the problem is utility - I'm not sure who the two people are who can use the class (Avatar excluded) and I read somewhere Camilla isn't one of them so. (I imagine Ophelia might be decent depending on her mother but that is sheer conjecture.)

Silas' problem was lategame for me - his lack of speed didn't matter early when he could do tons of damage - lategame he couldn't double. Even marrying him to Nyx didn't solve that problem for Sophie as Speed is the only benefit Sophie gets from Nyx as Magic doesn't really help her.

Early game isn't really a problem for me - I would have to play the game again but the only problem I really encountered on Birthright Hard mode was magic users as my Weakness is Magic and both Scarlet and Avatar have poor MDef. Marrying Felicia mitigated that problem in my first playthrough.

Ok fair enough - idk she was the first wife and best wife and Brady is best son and best sibling.

If you want a waifu war you're going to have to egg me on more. haha

Return to “The Arcade”