League of Legends: The New Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
StaplerTowel
StaplerTowel
He
Townie
StaplerTowel
He
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1592 (isolation #0) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:00 pm

Post by StaplerTowel »

To those thinking about the boardgame, what's you're opinions on the price tag? I'm getting mixed reactions from both the boardgame demographic (its admirably priced for having so many minis) and the LoL demographic (its too expensive, aren't boardgames dead?)
StaplerTowel
StaplerTowel
He
Townie
StaplerTowel
He
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1618 (isolation #1) » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:23 pm

Post by StaplerTowel »

In post 1593, Glork wrote:As far as "are board games dead," check out the baord game thread on this forum. They're only "dead" to people who are addicted to electronic screens. A vast majority of my friends play board games, D&D, and the like. Unless you think you'll have no friends with which to play, that shouldn't even be an issue.
Oh I know they're not dead, I'm an avid bgamer myself. I just wasn't sure what demographic
this
LoL thread belongs to, being the LoL thread and all (same goes for the bgame thread which I was reluctant to necro...is that strict around here?) so I chose my words carefully and described both sides of the pond, to gain further insight on what anyone would think of it.
In post 1596, mykonian wrote:re: boardgame. Themed games like that are often made because the creator knows there's a market. Usually these games are not the greatest, and some of the things I've seen here make me similarly worried. Now there are exceptions to this, there is the odd game that manages to strike the balance between being thematic and not detract from gameplay by doing so, but I can't think of one right now that hasn't been made by a producer of boardgames.
Battlestar Galactica as mentioned. Also, Firefly. And I think that's it.

And that's why I wondered about LoL. If it's from a popular franchise, I'm being cautious as well. All I know of it is that it's not a MOBA game, which would have been pretty sweet. There's only like 2-3 MOBA Boardgames I know and they all kind of lack in the game design department. I mean, Rum and Bones can be cool but its too swingy and RNG reliant to work.
In post 1600, RayFrost wrote:As someone that lives in Japan and is separated from other English speakers of board games, I have very few board gaming options (as my Japanese is not so good that I can explain the mechanics of board games too well - I could understand explanations to an extent). I've played Settlers of Catan once in Japanese (was also my first game of it).
But Japan is full of awesome microgames. I was in Akihibara a couple of months ago and I saw alot of nice ones. Now, I don't get much Japanese either, but that's what BGG is for. Some of the games have fanmade english translations and if they don't the shopkeepers are really friendly in that aspect. Most of the games I've seen aren't language dependent either so there's that. I wish I could've stayed longer to study some of them, but I was only there for 2 days to buy the japanese version of Lost Legacy.

Speaking of werewolf, I saw this really neat 8-bit version at Yellow Submarine once. Damn thing fit in the palm of your hand and I would've wanted it had I not really that many friends to play it with.

Return to “The Arcade”