Rap

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Deductive
Deductive
Goon
Deductive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (isolation #0) » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:19 am

Post by Deductive »

My Top 10 Rap Artists:

1. Big L
2. Notorious B.I.G.
3. 2-pac
4. Nas
5. Eminem
6. Big Pun
7. Rakim
8. Eazy-E
9. Ice Cube
10. Jay-Z

Honourable mentions: Dr Dre, Andre 3000, Method Man, Proof, Royce da 5'9, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole
Dmitry Davidoff may have created the game of mafia but he never mastered it. As a mafia enthusiast/aficionado; I'm here to master the game.
Deductive
Deductive
Goon
Deductive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (isolation #1) » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:40 pm

Post by Deductive »

Firstly it's my personal top preference and it's based on a technicality. I'll elaborate on why I think he's the top.

Big L is an extremely well regarded rapper but even with all the acclaim he's still really underrated.
In terms of punchlines & free-styling I've not heard of anyone better and I've listened to a lot of rappers.
Taking into considerations all that goes into rapping: Flow, battling, charisma, personality, lyrics, cleverness, song writing ability

Flow
- One of the greatest ever. You'll never hear Big L off rhythm on a song. His flow was so smooth. Every line was in sync with the last. Also, he had the rare ability to change speeds in his flow within a verse.
Battling
- He was an underground legend, and rumour has it that he never lost a battle.
Cleverness/Creativity
- Big L is known as the punchline king. No one came with more wittiness than him.
Song Writing ability
- Casualties of a Dice game is one of the best constructed stories in rap history. Though most often remember L for his punchlines, he could pen some pretty coherent songs, with each verse being relevant to the topic and backing up his thesis with points. Check, No ends no skinz, Casualties of a Dice game, How will I make it.

I honestly think that if you want to take all things into account, you'd have to say that L was the greatest, technically.

His flow variation is just remarkable even when looked at from a musically theoretical standpoint, going from 8h notes to triplet-16ths in a bar isn't an easy thing to do, let alone as seamlessly as he does.
Dmitry Davidoff may have created the game of mafia but he never mastered it. As a mafia enthusiast/aficionado; I'm here to master the game.
Deductive
Deductive
Goon
Deductive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (isolation #2) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:36 am

Post by Deductive »

I think comparing from cross-eras is difficult. And remember that a few of the deceased rappers back in the day (Big L, Pun, 2Pac, Biggie, Eazy-E) all died at a young age which meant they weren't able to show more of what they were capable of. I personally think old school rappers were better than nowadays rappers but the rap game has definitely changed.

Nas is astounding:

- Lyrical Complexity in Music
- Has a great storytelling ability
- He's a true "Street Poet"
- He can ride the beat well for most of his music
- Stands up for what he believes in
- He Came from nothing and made it big in life
- Wise and intelligent, it shows in his lyrics
- Able to change up his style and has a versatile set of styles
Deductive
Deductive
Goon
Deductive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (isolation #3) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:47 am

Post by Deductive »

Deductive
Deductive
Goon
Deductive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (isolation #4) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Post by Deductive »

When I compiled a top 10 list it was based on all the elements of actual rapping rather than body of work.
It's basically "quality over quantity". I feel like if Big L was still alive he'd be as big as Nas/Eminem/Jay-Z.
Throwback to when Big L and Jay-Z had that 7 minute freestyles - Jay-Z was really good but L was just on a whole higher level (you can argue that Jay-Z rapped off the dome and L prepared a few verses but the point still stands).

Weezy, The Game, Kanye West, J Cole, Kendrick Lamar and Kid Cudi are all some of the best of this era.
Deductive
Deductive
Goon
Deductive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (isolation #5) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:50 pm

Post by Deductive »

I know what you mean but you can't compare body of work between someone living to the age of 45 and someone that died at age 24.

Aforementioned the rap game has changed dramatically from the gangster rap era and rapping will keep constantly changing as time progresses. The rise of the internet has widely affected rap and society has changed. There's now even an Underground VS the Mainstream. There are more female rappers since the days of Missy Elliott to nowadays Nicki Minaj. etc
Deductive
Deductive
Goon
Deductive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (isolation #6) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:24 pm

Post by Deductive »

That's like saying someone who has won more mafia games on this site whilst having played much more is definitely better than someone who has won less but also played less. It's just incomparable.

But in those terms I'd say the top are: Eminem, Nas, Jay Z, Rakim, Andre 3000, Kendrick, Weezy
Deductive
Deductive
Goon
Deductive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (isolation #7) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:59 pm

Post by Deductive »

I guess when you're talking about being the G.O.A.T to an extent yes what you're saying is right.
Kendrick - I agree with what you're saying about him why is why I included him on that list there. As the youngest on the most recent list I gave, I do think he has the potential to become the GOAT in the future years to come.
Deductive
Deductive
Goon
Deductive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (isolation #8) » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:17 am

Post by Deductive »

Man on the Moon Part II: The Legend of Mr. Rager

Terribly underrated album with both an interesting, dark narrative and terrific, almost spatial beats to match. It's gotten me through a lot of my more critical periods of introspection, jumping in and out of my catalogue over the years.
Deductive
Deductive
Goon
Deductive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #145 (isolation #9) » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:08 pm

Post by Deductive »

In post 143, PJ. wrote:
In post 140, Killthestory wrote:god i love nas.

whats your favorite album of his?
Illmatic > Stillmatic > Life is Good > everything else is mediocre.
I agree with this order but I'd add that 'It Was Written' is above average / it's up there with 'Life is Good'.
In particular the singles "If I Ruled the World" (One of Nas's most acclaimed singles) & "The Message" (classic hip hop single) are undoubtedly above mediocre.
'Distant Relatives' - collaborative album by Nas & Damian Marley deserves a shout-out too.
Deductive
Deductive
Goon
Deductive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #146 (isolation #10) » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:23 pm

Post by Deductive »

The chemistry between Nas & Damian Marley was brilliant which was proven prior to the collaborative album, with the single "Road to Zion".
Damien’s style encouraged Nas to get more Afrocentric and spiritual, something you rarely see out of Nas, but he did so in a really beautiful and touching way.
'Distant Relatives' is probably one of my favourite genre-crossing album ever. The fusing musical elements of hip hop and reggae there is just spectacular.
Deductive
Deductive
Goon
Deductive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (isolation #11) » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:52 pm

Post by Deductive »

Nicki was impressive on the track 'Roman's Revenge' especially considering she was collaborating with Eminem on it.

Return to “General Discussion”