The New Set-Up Review Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1629 (isolation #0) » Fri May 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Post by mastin2 »

I'm considering running a Mini Normal some time soon.

I think it'll be insanely fun to do, and I have a great setup in mind.

...Thing is, I have absolutely no sense of balance. :P
Anyone interested in reviewing?
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1632 (isolation #1) » Mon May 09, 2011 9:41 am

Post by mastin2 »

mastin2 wrote:I'm considering running a Mini Normal some time soon.

I think it'll be insanely fun to do, and I have a great setup in mind.

...Thing is, I have absolutely no sense of balance. :P
Anyone interested in reviewing?
Thanks to Empking, it should be more balanced, now, but I'd feel a lot better about it if I got another one or two people to agree. ;)
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1976 (isolation #2) » Thu May 24, 2012 8:39 am

Post by mastin2 »

By the way, I'm looking for someone to review a setup or two of mine I'll run some time in the future. (Not immediate future, obviously, what with my V/LA and all, but eventually; I figure I should get the setups reviewed well before they're run rather than just before.)
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1990 (isolation #3) » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:34 am

Post by mastin2 »

I have another review request.

This time, for a Large Normal (I've already got a name in mind for it, too, along with an idea for the flavor I'll use, though I haven't typed up role PMs considering I just hatched the setup idea today :P). In fact, it's probably the next setup I'll run, when I get the time to do so. (We'll have to see, but it's possible I may soon gain access every single day of the week, for a prolongued period of time, allowing me to return from my current hiatus.) It's a fairly simple game (no Mafia Sane Cops this time. :P), and I think it's balanced, but my sense of balance isn't quite accurate compared to most. :P
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1993 (isolation #4) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:28 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 1990, mastin2 wrote:I have another review request.

This time, for a Large Normal (I've already got a name in mind for it, too, along with an idea for the flavor I'll use, though I haven't typed up role PMs considering I just hatched the setup idea today :P). In fact, it's probably the next setup I'll run, when I get the time to do so. (We'll have to see, but it's possible I may soon gain access every single day of the week, for a prolongued period of time, allowing me to return from my current hiatus.) It's a fairly simple game (no Mafia Sane Cops this time. :P), and I think it's balanced, but my sense of balance isn't quite accurate compared to most. :P
DarthYoshi and AGar have both offered. So filled, unless you want to give me a third set of extra eyes. :P
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #2150 (isolation #5) » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:04 am

Post by mastin2 »

Before I actually put in my request to run the game, it'd make me feel a lot better about balance to have another one or two reviewers for my Large Normal, which has 24 players. It's pretty much at the stage where it's ready to be run, soyeah, there's probably not much to do and it's mainly as a confirmation.

Edit:
Filled by Faraday.
Last edited by mastin2 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #2152 (isolation #6) » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 2151, Faraday wrote:Normal Review group will review it, no?
I figure that I should give them as minimal a workload as possible. Basically, I want to go in, have them ask any questions they have (and preferably me already knowing the answer to every single question before-hand), and go out, approving balance and normalcy with no retweaks needed.

As I said, it's not strictly necessary, but it would put my mind more at ease for extra eyes to review it now.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #2371 (isolation #7) » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:21 am

Post by mastin2 »

Hey, guys, so I'm currently designing (yet another) RPG Mafia game. Currently designed as a mini theme game, but if successful, could be run as other sizes.

It's a Mastin-designed game, soooooooooo...
-Expect there to be far too much going on. You'll probably be recommending I streamline things.
-Expect there to be some obvious balance flaw that I haven't taken into consideration. You'll probably be telling me how to fix it. (Largely tied to the above. :P)
-Expect there to be walls of text that don't cover the mechanics in as explicit detail as you'd prefer; you'll likely need to do a lot of reading and ask for lots of clarifying.
-Expect this game to be unusual.
-Expect this game to, even with streamlining, be swingy. (The goal of the review is to make sure the swinginess is balanced, and to try and lessen the amount of swinginess. It'll pretty much be impossible to remove entirely, ESPECIALLY given the concept behind the game relies on players! Players you can't predict before-hand, who are almost certainly not going to act the way you expect them to.)
-Expect me to be stubborn about making changes, so explain in great detail every change you recommend even if you think that it goes without saying.
-Expect to be involved slightly in the design. (I have almost everything done, but experience points, AP, and to some extent, MP all need to be set/refined. Because I don't want to do this step until all the others have been covered. :P)

If you're up for the challenge, give me a shout. :P
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #2373 (isolation #8) » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:00 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 2372, GreyICE wrote:Mastin, I'm willing to review, but that sounds almost like a mish mash game. There's nothing wrong with that, but there's a point where the mafia format is less of a platform and more of a hindrance (my Resistance probably went there)
It's definitely a mafia game, trust me. Potentially a longer game (but this is nothing new of a Mastin-modded game :P), yes, but nothing even remotely like Chess "Mafia".
Oh god. The nightmares...

It's highly akin to AurorusVox's RPG Mafia games, which most certainly were more mafia than RPG. It's just that, unlike AurorusVox, I'm not good at balancing RPG mechanics. :P
Spoiler: off-topic
(And by the way--I actually
am
planning on eventually running a Mish-Mash RPG game, but it's not something I'll ever complete any time soon. I've got a lot of the basics laid out, but even in the basics, I'm less than 2/3rds complete. And even if the basics of said RPG were laid out, the more advanced things aren't. How much each ability costs to use, how much it costs to be purchased, the rate of HP/MP/EXP/AP/EP growth, heck, even how the battle mechanics play out--I've got the basics of all, but not the specifics.

And even then! Even if I had all of that, I still wouldn't have the actual "dungeon-crawling" experience. I wouldn't have shops detailed, I wouldn't have items made, I wouldn't have dungeons simulated (nor the monsters to face), and the structure of said dungeons! Again, I have ideas for all of them, but they've not been properly expanded upon. And even if they were, I'd probably need to simplify my explanations, because as it is, the game is a wall-of-text of epic proportions. :P

...All of that before running the RPG, which would be meant to test the balance of things, and if they hold true across multiple level ranges. The RPG I'm planning to build is an RPG I want to eventually be Dungeons & Dragonsesque, in that it's a full RPG, easy to understand, which can be run an endless number of times in various different campaigns. Because it's something that I'm currently building in my spare time, I wouldn't realistically expect that mish-mash game to appear before 2016 or so. :P)
If you're still interested in the review of the mafia-RPG game, I'll send you a PM.
(I'd help with designing your game with kuribo, but I want to be a player in that game, which will understandably be problematic if I were a reviewer. :P)
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #2374 (isolation #9) » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:35 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 2371, mastin2 wrote:Hey, guys, so I'm currently designing (yet another) RPG Mafia game. Currently designed as a mini theme game, but if successful, could be run as other sizes.
If you're up for the challenge, give me a shout. :P
In post 2373, mastin2 wrote:It's definitely a mafia game, trust me. It's highly akin to AurorusVox's RPG Mafia games, which most certainly were more mafia than RPG. It's just that, unlike AurorusVox, I'm not good at balancing RPG mechanics. :P If you're still interested in the review of the mafia-RPG game, I'll send you a PM.
Right, so I've got a full team of reviewers, now. GreyICE would bump the total up to five if he wants to, but even if he declines, four should be enough. :P
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #2446 (isolation #10) » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Hey, guys, I'd like one or two setup reviewers for a quick little micro I want to run.
...As a warning, what you're getting yourself into is going to be highly...wacky, I guess the word would be. More so than normal, from a Mastin-modded game. (Basically, whatever you could possibly expect to see in a micro? Scrap that idea. It's not going to even remotely approach what I actually created. It'll be oh so much worse. :P)
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #2507 (isolation #11) » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:19 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Hey, guys.
Me, yet again.

Looking for people to review a mini theme idea I have. Fairly simple mechanic and roles, so not a hard job. I basically just need an extra few set of eyes to help clarify and clearly define things so that there's no confusion/ambiguity when the game's run. (Also to tweak balance, since I only took my best guess at it.)
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #2626 (isolation #12) » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 2625, AngryPidgeon wrote:Could use a hand or two in looking at my first (non invitational) large theme.
Sabotage Mafia 2.0 (Sequel to the first one) will be 22 players. All flavor is original (bonus points if you want to help with flavor : P)
I have role PMs drafted up and a summary. I mostly need to just hash out some flavor and tidy things up a little.
Edit: I need to get another scumteam in the running for best performance: scum group, and you can be a part of it!!
I'd love to review, but I want to BE on said scumteam, soyeah, must pass.

On the other hand, I had an urge to run a Normalish Micro. (Still theme by class, of course. Normalish, not Normal.) Nothing special, 'cept that every player would have flavor for fun. No special mechanics, no fancy roles, but I need a reviewer or two to give me a critical eye on my balance outlook.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #2992 (isolation #13) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:17 pm

Post by mastin2 »

By the way:
Setup's not nailed down absolutely right now, still a bit in flux, but I am currently in the process of (already!) writing a sequel game to Gistou, Agnigi.
It's 13 players, and a mini.
But I want to have at least one or two reviewers on it since I'm REALLY not sure about what I'm doing right now. :?
My academy.
Agnigi

Return to “Mafia Discussion”