Scummies Ideas, Suggestions and Comments Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #875 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 10:47 am

Post by pirate mollie »

I think that keeping the scum team scummie intact while eliminating the town 1 is pretty funny and ironic.
whew!
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #876 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Post by hiplop »

why not have a nomination similar to the new scum team one?

can nominate the whole town for a single game OR specific people/person?
third best scummer of all time
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #877 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 1:22 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

*points back to the five hundred times I've repeated why it's harder/less valuable to judge an entire town's performance versus a collaborated scum effort*

even when several members of the town sync, it's not a planned/coordinated effort. it's individual players coming together.
green shirt thursdays
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #878 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 1:31 pm

Post by hiplop »

In post 876, hiplop wrote:why not have a nomination similar to the new scum team one?

can nominate the whole town for a single game OR specific people/person?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #879 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 1:54 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 877, xRECKONERx wrote:even when several members of the town sync, it's not a planned/coordinated effort. it's individual players coming together.
green shirt thursdays
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #880 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 877, xRECKONERx wrote:*points back to the five hundred times I've repeated why it's harder/less valuable to judge an entire town's performance versus a collaborated scum effort*

even when several members of the town sync, it's not a planned/coordinated effort. it's individual players coming together.
that doesn't explain as to why it shld be ignored when it happens. call it a unicorn scummy.
whew!
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #881 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 877, xRECKONERx wrote:*points back to the five hundred times I've repeated why it's harder/less valuable to judge an entire town's performance versus a collaborated scum effort*

that doesn't explain as to why it shld be ignored when it happens. call it a unicorn scummy.
whew!
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #882 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2016 4:58 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

Okay.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #883 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2016 6:00 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

because we want awards to have consistency? because why not create awards for each individual unicorn moment that is unlikely to happen?
green shirt thursdays
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #884 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2016 6:08 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

It's also important to us that awards are not impossible to judge by being too broad in scope
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #885 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2016 7:10 pm

Post by Davsto »

Don't we already have an award for amazing and potentially unlikely moments? Like, as well as the whole "funny posts 'n' shit" that falls under Kodak Moment, something spectacular like the entire town working together to find the scumteam perfectly with every member working flawlessly sounds like a "Kodak Moment" to me.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #886 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2016 2:46 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

yep
green shirt thursdays
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #887 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:41 am

Post by Gammagooey »

I agree with the things MattP said about it being fine to keep Professor Mafia and Community Contributer even though they aren't awarded every year

also with the thing UT said about the judges being forced to skim for the Best Mafia Performance this past year, because when reading a single game by one nominee is the equivalent of reading a small book with 250 page games not being considered "ridiculous monstrosities" by the people playing in them, I don't think anyone was able to give as much time as they would have liked to the entire play history of each nominee over the year.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #888 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:44 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Then why leave the town one intact, especially when town play is probably harder to judge as well?
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #889 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:49 am

Post by hiplop »

The town one is definitely strange. I've come to terms with it being cut. It really was the hardest to judge fairly?

I think a potential compromise would be having two kodak moment awards? One for like, "most impressive moment/situation" and one as it is now as a more humourous/memorable moment. For example, Shea just nominated his town for Kodak moment and its against things like Voidedmafia continuing to play after the deadline, which IMO makes the judging sort of arbitrary.

I think having a kodak-like award for serious mafia stuff is an awesome solution. If someone is an extraordinary IC, community contributor etc they can be nominated for the more serious one while the current Kodak moment can stay the same?
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #890 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:51 am

What I meant was I think that judging town play over a year is a billion times harder than judging town play.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #891 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:58 am

Post by Gammagooey »

I actually thought judging town play was a lot easier than scum, at least last year - part of it was a LOT less competition, but I find it pretty easy to tell how town are pushing and when and in what way pretty easily, whereas with scum you need a lot more context of the game to determine if what they're doing is actually good play.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #892 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:17 am

Did you exclusively judge scumhunting as in pushing on scum then? because that's what that sounds like.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #893 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:31 am

Post by Gammagooey »

I was in the group judging Don Corleone, not Paragon, but I had gone over the town games for paragon before joining the judging and definitely agreed with their decision there
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #894 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:41 am

I do too!

But it feels like there's so much more in town play. How effectively they pushed their reads, how well they adapted with wrong reads, how well they persuaded people, how oft townread, etc.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #895 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:54 am

Post by Gammagooey »

well yeah

but with the exception of being townread (which if they're good enough at the rest doesn't matter at all anyway), all of the rest of them I think are pretty easy to just read their posts and the votecounts, skim the rest of the game, and get a pretty damn accurate feel of how well they played and how the rest of the game reacted to them.

Scum I feel like have more instances where something they do being a good or bad move will depend on the reactions of one or two other players, which can wind up deciding the whole game even though it may only be a few pages of context in a much vaster game.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #896 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:20 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 888, RadiantCowbells wrote:Then why leave the town one intact, especially when town play is probably harder to judge as well?
because you can get a good picture of someone's town play as good town play rarely changes between games, whereas scum tactics will be WILDLY different game-to-game depending on team makeup, etc

I would say town play is more proactive and scum is more reactive, so it's harder to get a consistent picture of scum play when it's totally depending upon what else is happening in the game at the time
green shirt thursdays
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #897 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Post by hiplop »

In post 889, hiplop wrote:I think a potential compromise would be having two kodak moment awards? One for like, "most impressive moment/situation" and one as it is now as a more humourous/memorable moment. For example, Shea just nominated his town for Kodak moment and its against things like Voidedmafia continuing to play after the deadline, which IMO makes the judging sort of arbitrary.

I think having a kodak-like award for serious mafia stuff is an awesome solution. If someone is an extraordinary IC, community contributor etc they can be nominated for the more serious one while the current Kodak moment can stay the same?
thoughts on this idea? I think it would clear up basically everyones reservations about the missing team awards? Instead of having one catch all award for weird things that happen uniquely, why not have one for the more lighthearted things and one for a more memorable, serious mafia moment?
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #898 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

It's cool I'll just keep this banner forever
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #899 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:00 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I think Kodak Moment can encapsulate funny things as well as serious things. I don't think we need a second category for it. At least, there's been no demonstrated need for further stratification.
green shirt thursdays

Return to “Mafia Discussion”