Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #178 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:12 pm

Post by Varsoon »

I'd help but, uh, I'm kinda in the running.
No big deal.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #205 (isolation #1) » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:39 pm

Post by Varsoon »

<3
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #217 (isolation #2) » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Post by Varsoon »

I am nominating Skullduggery for the Best Flavor Text award for the work put into Borderlands Mafia.

Skullduggery very clearly knew a substantial amount about the Theme run here or did an insane amount of homework. Votecounts were coupled with quotes from the game, the images used for the characters were high-quality and uniformly edited, every role PM contained a paragraph of flavor written exclusively for that role by Skullduggery (employing very similar rhetoric to that of the writing in Borderlands, itself), and every role was an inventive and effective rendering of the theme.

From top to bottom, this game exemplified the reason why I moderate and play theme games; I want to see a theme that I have passion for rendered well into Mafia mechanics. Despite the fact that I would love to win this scummy award with my own endeavors in flavor-writing, I still want to nominated Skullduggery for work on this game--in many ways, the work done here reflects the detail of care and level of effort that I put into my own games. If anything, my nomination of this game despite being in the running should stand as a testament to the quality of this game's flavor. I want to see more moderators putting in this amount of effort, and I think that what Skullduggery has done here far exceeds the site-standard for theme games.

There were some grievances about the mechanical balance of the setup as well as the functionality of some roles. I'm not nominating the game for BEST SETUP, though. I'm nominating it for BEST FLAVOR, for which it may very well be second-to-none as far as games run this year go. I hope that the committee that reviews this game will look beyond the mechanical balance/mishaps made and realize that, for every role, the theme was rendered beautifully. This game was clearly a labor of love, and I quite enjoy seeing games with this amount of effort put into them.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #238 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:47 pm

Post by Varsoon »

I agree.
I'd love to help in any way I can, even if that's just writing for next year.
I've got an MA in writing; I spent over 6 years in academia learning how to write well--especially when it comes to create rhetoric such as fiction (or internet-award-ceremonies).
I could easily handle it if given the time and resources.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #241 (isolation #4) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:38 am

Post by Varsoon »

I'm happy that people came together and it got done. Mad props.

I think the plan for how to go about it is to start writing as soon as possible (once the winners have been chosen, etc.) and establish deadlines and due-dates (with extra time given for any issues that do come up). That way, it can be worked at over time and in a reasonable manner rather than some people doing nothing, others doing a lot and sitting on it, etc. With people submitting their work, online, to a person who then collects and saves it to their computer, it is stored multiple places every day, so loss of work won't be an issue and you can quickly weed out people that aren't making their deadlines early rather than late into the process.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #277 (isolation #5) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:14 pm

Post by Varsoon »

I'm nominating Wgeurts' Evolution Mafia for BEST SETUP.

Most mini-theme setups aren't all that ambitious--Evolution Mafia proved that even a Mini Theme can have a lot of very unique and interesting mechanics that don't overwhelm the game. Furthermore, the flavor was also spot-on for a mini-theme; it was never overwhelming and always just enough to excite me for what was around the next lynch or kill.

The flavor of a 'survival of the fittest' evolution-themed game fit incredibly well with the dynamic provided by a mafia game. The ways that roles branched and 'evolved' was interesting and provided for very thoughtful means of progressing one's own power in response to the game state. It was very exciting to receive a new role PM with an updated image and new options for further evolution. Wgeurts thought out different ways that the roles would be able to counterbalance each other, even in the case of some roles dying early or others out-evolving their counterparts. While a lot of the scum strategy was to stall due to the shorter site-meta deadline of 7 days, even culled interest in the game still couldn't keep me from wanting desperately to play and get ahead.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #354 (isolation #6) » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:38 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 352, pieguyn wrote:
I nominated dwlee99 and Thor665 for Kodak Moment for the last day of Paint Mafia Sequel.

basically the game had two flips, a "color" flip where you reveal someone's color and the actual lynch. on the last (3p) day, everyone left forgot about the color flip, resulting in Thor quickhammering dwlee's color flip, dwlee flipping purple, and Thor having thrown the game. this is legit probably the most hilariously amazing result I've ever seen in a game.
I'm going to second this.
Cheetory literally messaged me asking if he should keep running the game:
Cheetory6 (08:16)
do I end it there?
or do I make them suffer through a votelynch too?
Varsoon (08:16)
You still have to play the game out
Yes.
Absolutely.
oh no.
D:
People need to live with their shame
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #364 (isolation #7) » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:45 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 362, Deductive wrote:
I self-nominate myself for simultaneously both 'Rising Star' & 'Best Mafia Catcher' for my first ever forum mafia game where I was 2/2 on catching scum.
Seconded.

Never before, in the history of Mafia, has there been a player who has gone from not playing to catching scum with such aplomb. If one was to look at Deductive's play in the aforementioned game, they would find that advanced interrogation techniques to rope his foes into ultimate defeat. It's undeniable that Deductive is probably going to be responsible for shifting the site-meta entirely towards town winning a majority of games, as well. Give this man a medal.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #376 (isolation #8) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:21 am

Post by Varsoon »

Yeah, I seconded that one as a joke.
I always thought it'd actually be entertaining to make a huge case for my own self-nomination, and then second it with every alternate account of mine, providing paragraphs of rationale for those seconding posts, each with a different rhetorical style.

Then I decided that joke took too much work to do the research and stuff.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #396 (isolation #9) » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:54 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Seconding "House" Mason-Vig auto-correct for Kodak moment

It was pretty hilarious and noteworthy, especially given the fact it ended up being true. A phone slip? Freudian slip? Phonedian slip? Regardless, I'm still giggling.

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”