I Don't Like a Lot of the Guides

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:50 am

Post by Killthestory »

In post 24, Antihero wrote:
In post 21, Killthestory wrote:I'd rather not diss specific guides since I know from experience that can hurt. Especially a guide that has actual hard work put into it.

Just think of the generalizations I've listed.

i think you're complaining about a problem that doesn't really exist. at least not on our wiki or in md.

i'm not familiar w/ other sites and their stuff to be able to say anything intelligent about them.

It exists here. I've read at least one problem already that I've already stated. Specific strategies I've seen also in guides. I haven't necessarily seen the playstyle problem, but I already said (I forgot what it was word by word) that it may or may not be applicable to this site

It's a problem with most sites, if not all. My last forum was the same before a couple of guys started making guides like these.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:27 pm

Post by GreyICE »

People are predictable. People believe they are unpredictable, but they are wrong. Even when people believe they are acting unpredictably they are usually acting predictably unpredictably - that is to say they are doing something unusual, but they are doing similar unusual things. You don't need to know a player to know how they're thinking.

There are many tells that are good. There are a few tells that are virtually perfect. Human thinking is flawed in extremely simple matters (the 50/50 fallacy is a common one, for instance)
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:59 pm

Post by Killthestory »

In post 26, GreyICE wrote:People are predictable. People believe they are unpredictable, but they are wrong. Even when people believe they are acting unpredictably they are usually acting predictably unpredictably - that is to say they are doing something unusual, but they are doing similar unusual things. You don't need to know a player to know how they're thinking.

There are many tells that are good. There are a few tells that are virtually perfect. Human thinking is flawed in extremely simple matters (the 50/50 fallacy is a common one, for instance)

edgy bro
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:15 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Ah I can see the level of discussion you're looking for.

What, is this just another "I'm butthurt because I was lynched" thread?
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:40 pm

Post by Killthestory »

In post 28, GreyICE wrote:Ah I can see the level of discussion you're looking for.

What, is this just another "I'm butthurt because I was lynched" thread?

no not really considering I haven't been lynched recently.

anyway people are different. Their tells are different. Sure, you can look at a player and figure out their playstyle and mindset during certain actions, but a tell isn't going to work the same way every time. The whole thing about people being predictable is also pure edge.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:42 pm

Post by Ircher »

Meh, I kinda agree with GreyIce.
Links: User Page | GTKAS | Ratings
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [In Signups: 6/9]
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:44 pm

Post by Killthestory »

except humans aren't predictable. i mean sure, there's 7. something billion humans, people are bound to act similar. However, no two people are confirmed to act the same way with the same tells. It's possible, but I don't like going into a game with a mindset like that.

also predictable is still really edge.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Post by Ircher »

But, each individual has their own playstyle.

So while these "tells" may not work on some people, they do on others. You have to learn how to guage a person's playstyle. I agree -- Humans don't tend to act predictable in the sense they do all the same stuff. Each one has an unique personality and playstyle. Once you learn how they play though, then you should be able to develop ways of telling their alignments.

"One Size Fits All" is never true, so trying to say that the posted scumtells and guides will work on everyone is definitely not true. But hamams ARE predictable in the way they do things, not ain the sense of a group, but as individuals, we are predictable.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:55 pm

Post by Ircher »

Also, people tend to do whatever works best for them. The wiki articles, etc. point players in the direction of what tend to be best for *most* players.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:55 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:28 pm

Post by Killthestory »

edgy articles bro.

predictable? maybe. However, that's such an edgy stereotype lmfao. It's like saying all white people are priveleged (thanks bernie). Like, sure, as a whole that can definitely seem the case, but people are unique lol.

anyway ircher just explained the basis of scumreading.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:32 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:21 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

I don't understand why you're being antagonistic to literally everyone who's engaged you on what you're talking about.
Or rather, I understand.
And I'm just pointing it out.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:12 am

Post by Firebringer »

People are predictable in the mass quantity that you want to demonstrate.

Because you start noticing trends, and patterns, it doesn't mean everyone works in the exact same fashion

You are assuming everyone believes their actions are random, which most know their actions aren't all random. They may do a few "random" actions, but I don't know anyone who thinks most of their actions are random. Or who attempt such. So yes, if target is monitoring your purchasing habits and other data very closely, they may realize something about you that you didn't know.

If you however are closely monitoring yourself and trying to control your behavior in certain fashion its very likely Target couldn't find out you were pregnant.

The benfords law isn't great demonstration of this either, I read article, I am an accountant, never heard of it being used in a audit. Looked a little deeper found out its been used as a analytic tool a few times at least. Sometimes when used they found the company had weird expenses which caused the anomaly in the "law" but found these tied to legitimate expenses. It also found that if your company has unusual or irregular events this will also throw off that law. So, may be slightly useful along with other analytic for predetermining a possible fraud, but its definitely not great. Not useless. Don't know how this applies to "humans can't be random" kind of goes with the universe isn't random.

The random number generator, I think I heard once about this, but I am wondering the pool. Just because X is the most popular choice, doesn't mean its the only one chosen. How big of a pool and how widely was it chosen?. Like I said, outliers and other things. You can find patterns in behavior, but that doesn't mean when people genuinely try to play outside the box it won't.

I mean if someone told you, 17 is the most popular number picked between 1-20. Now can you pick a random number right now, that was picked the least! That gets you to think in a different way, and probably makes it harder for a computer to predict. (maybe not over a huge sample of people, but harder than the one with vague information). I mean relating this to mafia, say people know the common strategy is X, they will then thing to do maybe Y, Z or even W instead.

The rock-paper-scissors one is good, I have heard of it. Except if your opponent has heard of it and is aware you are attemping it, it won't work. This is part of the reason why information like this breaks the cycle. Once people know the trick, it starts becoming less of a good method.

The 93% of human behavior is predictable, fine. I think you translating this horribly. We are talking about a game of mafia. Were you are supposed to lie and figure out who is lying. This means that some will attempt to random actions, because it has been shown in game theory to be greatly viable strategy (especially against a better opponent). Yes, on a large scale everyone is probably predictable. In a game where your goal is to be not predictable, yeah I think it can be done.

I don't agree that players are extremely predictable. Trends form over time, but there will always be outliers. Something that won't fit into a model of complete predictability, I mean whats to stop someone from preplanning actions out using a chart like :

I Scenario A do one of the following: 1,2,3,4.
If Scenario B do one of the following: 1,2,3,4

Then using an actual random number generator to determine your action.
How random would you call this? :)
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:00 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 19, Killthestory wrote:You can try to behave completely opposite of how you play now, and I test you to see if you do good for 2-3 games

what does "the opposite of how i play now" even mean (and what makes you think i
don't
already do this?), and why does it relate to whether or not it's possible to be really good while conforming to a generic guide on how to play?

besides which, even if you explained what you mean and i took up your challenge, it's entirely possible that i could get lucky over 2-3 games, or the opposite, so what would 2-3 games prove? kind of doesn't help your cause if a sample size of 2-3 games would mean you'd change your entire position
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:49 pm

Post by Killthestory »

In post 39, zMuffinMan wrote:
In post 19, Killthestory wrote:You can try to behave completely opposite of how you play now, and I test you to see if you do good for 2-3 games

what does "the opposite of how i play now" even mean (and what makes you think i
don't
already do this?), and why does it relate to whether or not it's possible to be really good while conforming to a generic guide on how to play?

besides which, even if you explained what you mean and i took up your challenge, it's entirely possible that i could get lucky over 2-3 games, or the opposite, so what would 2-3 games prove? kind of doesn't help your cause if a sample size of 2-3 games would mean you'd change your entire position

just play what best works for you
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Post by Killthestory »

haha i went about this the wrong way, and now only when im tired can i see it.

i have an emotional disorder lads. clearly this was an attention post apparently (i cant tell what the fuck this is.)

however, the best advice you can ever get is. I leave you with this

Play what works best for you
Expedience
Expedience
Mafia Scum
Expedience
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:45 pm

Post by Expedience »

Go easy on the vaccines next time.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:22 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 34, GreyICE wrote:We are super fucking predictable - http://phys.org/news/2010-02-human-beha ... rcent.html

master scumhunter mislead by a clickbait article about the consistency of travel routines

a few studies on the enron emails are pretty interesting
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:17 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 41, Killthestory wrote:haha i went about this the wrong way, and now only when im tired can i see it.

i have an emotional disorder lads. clearly this was an attention post apparently (i cant tell what the fuck this is.)

Edgy bro
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew

Return to “Mafia Discussion”