Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4195 (isolation #0) » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:33 am

Post by Plotinus »

don’t talk about this like it’s in the past. This stuff is still going on today.

the staff-mafia could have roles like giving another player post restrictions (can give this to a teammate so being postrestricted shouldn’t conftown someone), roleblocking them (putting them in the quiet room), making them hated for a day (staff often play inmates against each other and actively try to prevent them forming alliances with each other). there could be inmate neighbours — either people who are roommates or people who have similar issues who find ways to communicate with each other that the staff don’t recognise as communication.

I have no idea how to translate a lot of things into mafia terms. Like what would losing privacy privileges look like? would that be a mafia ability that gains readonly access to a town neighbourhood? it doesn’t quite capture the humiliation of having to pee with an audience for months or having to sleep at the nurse’s station with bright lights on every night and chattering.

There could also be a hidden and demoralising mechanic where there is a behaviour chart posted with each vote count and the staff (privately submitted at any time) give points or take away points for wifom. townies should get actual prizes if they get enough points. at lynch time whoever has the most points gets a prize; mafia can give themselves prizes this way too and the prizes shouldn’t be too overpowered. townies should be somewhat suspicious of whoever gets the prizes.

If at any point half? a third? of the town writes
Restrain player1 and player2
and the moderator agrees that there has been a 1v1 argument going on between player 1 and player 2, both players will become post restricted that they cannot discuss whatever topic they were discussing for the remainder of the day phase. This gives the town a tool to stop pointless town vs town screaming matches that go on for 10 pages and demoralise everybody but also gives scum a way to interfere with scum hunting. This could also be used to punish fluff posters. The players would not be allowed to mention the topic or allude to it. If the banned topic is another player, they would still be allowed to vote for each other as normal.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4197 (isolation #1) » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:36 am

Post by Plotinus »

it will probably be a while before I’m eligible to run a theme game: I’m newish to the site, and you have to mod an open game first to show you won’t flake as a mod, which is good. But maybe I will /in to mod in 8 days when I become eligible to do so and then maybe in a few months i’ll mod an open (the queue is longish) and then after that i could mod a small theme game. I’m half tempted now that I’ve started thinking up ideas and mechanics and I could probably ensure that at least the setup part was done tastefully and I’d try to get the players to be tasteful about it too. I’d explain in the ruleset where I considered the line to be and I’d give 3 warnings and then modkill or forcereplace or something (probably forcereplace) — I wouldn’t be draconian about it but I don’t want players deciding to roleplay a r*t*rd for the lulz either.

I also have a really really terrible idea for rubik’s cube mafia where you start with a scrambled cube and players can propose a sequence of up to 8 moves like URU’R’U’F’UF and then everyone votes on the various moves and then mafia is trying to keep the cube scrambled and the town are trying to unscramble it. But like there’s no guarantee that anyone with a town PM in particular would know how to solve a rubik’s cube and it would be hard to tell the difference between “actively trying to keep the cubed scrambled” and “doesn’t know how to solve a rubik’s cube”. Alternatively, people could google rubik’s cube solutions and then get suspicious of people proposing suboptimal moves but players who only had google knowledge wouldn’t be able to distinguish between “not following the easiest to memorise rubik’s algorithm” and “speed solver using a more advanced method” but there could be a lynch mechanic to get rid of poor solvers. If the mafia is lynched before the cube is solved, town still wins.

It’d basically be chess mafia but worse. (someone actually tried chess mafia here, i came across it a while back. that’s where i got this Rubik’s idea)

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4200 (isolation #2) » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:35 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 4198, LicketyQuickety wrote:
The idea is that the Inmates are the ones who are "in the know" so to speak. I don't have a problem with it and I've been diagnosed with somethings myself.

I have been wondering if we share a diagnosis, actually. but i couldn’t think of a polite way to ask, because usually when someone asks, they’re not asking because they think you’re ausome.

if you search for asylum on the forums you can see how previous games have gone. for example there was this one that ended not too long ago http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... it=+asylum

It’s a popular enough theme, there’s room for more than one person to do it.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4212 (isolation #3) » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:54 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 4210, quadz08 wrote:11:2 is pretty standard; 10:3 can be done but you probably need ass-tons of town powers

really? because newbies are 7:2 and they’re fairly balanced, so i thought adding 4 extra townies would make it townsided.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4215 (isolation #4) » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:19 am

Post by Plotinus »

@Licky: No, they are saying 13 player game: 11 town 2 scum.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4227 (isolation #5) » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:30 pm

Post by Plotinus »

I can relate, Sméagol. There are some mechanics I’ve thought of that I really want to see what it would be like in a game and if it would work but they’re too abnormal for the normal queue*. Good luck with your design. I’m sure you’ll think of something good and fun.

* I’ve thought of something that might help prevent town vs town arguments from spanning 40 pages that I think would be a fun mechanic that ultimately benefits both sides (Scum could use it to shut down some avenues of scumhunting if they dared, but town could be suspicious of them for using it that way in return, and town really could use it to help move the thread on after two townies start death tunnelling each other). i don’t know if it would work in practice but i think it would be fun to find out. but i’m about 99% sure it won’t happen in the normal queue because it involves temporary post restrictions.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4230 (isolation #6) » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:12 pm

Post by Plotinus »

@narninian: yeah. though i’m not sure if i want it to be a role exactly as i put it in the grand idea thread; I think I like it better as a global mechanic. but it’s not happening in the normal queue i don’t think.

@Licky: there is a cool thread where people make up wacky roles. people can then play a game with roles randomly chosen from the thread. two of the roles i posted in that thread recently are a rough draft of the mechanic: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 2#p6935912

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4290 (isolation #7) » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:59 pm

Post by Plotinus »

mini 1675 was a choose your own alignment game. the setup was 2:2:3:1:1:1:1:1:1. The 3 in that list was the town, and one of the 1s was a mafia traitor. It was tremendous fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4303 (isolation #8) » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:29 am

Post by Plotinus »

could loosen the restriction for people that you feel that you know their playstyles?

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4306 (isolation #9) » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:30 am

Post by Plotinus »

will it be a mini? micros are too small for me.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4308 (isolation #10) » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:31 am

Post by Plotinus »

sweet

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4310 (isolation #11) » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:35 am

Post by Plotinus »

/prein

you're allowed up to 50% preins and you can PM your friends and say "hey i'm gonna do a mini do you want to prein"

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4315 (isolation #12) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:58 am

Post by Plotinus »

you'll probably be a sensor, titus