Super Smash Bros

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #9 (isolation #0) » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:30 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Brawl will always be my favorite since I played so much of it in college. I do really like 4 though.

Sakurai did intentionally try to dumb brawl down competitively because Melee was a thing and that is how we ended up with tripping which is universally agreed to be a bad idea. I think its overstated just how bad it was based purely on subjective opinions about the game though.

Brawl's engine was more floaty than any of the others because they were intentionally trying to encourage air combat.

Project M was awful because it was just melee physics in Brawl which
a) just play Melee if you really care, its better than M
b) actually point a covers that just fine.

4 is great so far, although I wish I had more local friends who were really into it.

Random opinions:
Game and Watch went from decent to garbage. He was arguably my best character in Brawl and is no so trash its unreal. I think he is the lightest character in the game if not jiggles. Smash attacks do less knock back / range than they had in brawl. the only thing about him that is still good is the back aerial but that isn't enough.
Roy is OP as fuck and is going to top tierlists in the end. Literally nothing weak about him except his throws but having weak throws is not a big disadvantage at all.
No longer being able to edge deny people takes away an interesting part of the game and feels like overkill on top of already removing all the tether-recoveries. RIP Ivysaur.
Fuck little mac. Whose shitty idea was that?
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #66 (isolation #1) » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:35 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 56, LlamaFluff wrote:Ive been trying to get better at smash4 playing for glory as a Yoshi main, but just the skill difference between players is a bit much. Seems like maybe one out of five people you get matched with are of generally equal level. Rest of the time there is a noticeable split in skill where for one side to lose it usually takes a well punished error.

Ya. I haven't done much 1v1 yet, but my roommate and I have been doing 2v2 a lot and this is our experience. Players are either really bad (will occasionally suicice, lack basic ability to shield/dodge most things) or are really good and know combos very well.

Trying to recall what I see people play a lot. Seems like there are a few characters that just never get played, and not too many that see a ton of play there. I think Roy, Ryu, Little Mac, Yoshi, Shulk, Falcon, Link are probably some of the slightly more common picks that I see. Charizard sometimes I guess but I haven't seen anyone play Charizard who is actually good at him besides just being cheesy with flare blitz for easy kills.

--

I've been playing a whole slew of things: Yoshi, ROB, Dr.Mario, Baby Bowser, Roy, Shulk, Megaman, Pikachu, Link. Couple others, but mostly that. I'm going to make a conscious effort to play more Luigi though since Dr. Mario seems pretty bad, especially with his horrid recovery.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #68 (isolation #2) » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

I actually did a fair amount of single player Today. Best game was a mirror match as ROB. Really close game with lots of tops and lasers. ROB is all about that neutral aerial though.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #72 (isolation #3) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

^ Really? The good, old shield-grab has been a staple in my play/counterplay due to brawl.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #77 (isolation #4) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:23 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 73, Vi wrote:Sm4sh may as well be called Super Grab Bros. though.

That might be because every character and their mother has a counter.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #79 (isolation #5) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:57 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 78, LlamaFluff wrote:good little Yoshi troll kills like neutral B

I actually get a lot of kills with this. Its still funny every time too.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #86 (isolation #6) » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:28 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Jesus, can we stop circlejerking about which game is the best?

Return to “The Arcade”