Mens Clothing Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Tue May 12, 2015 3:19 am

Post by Oman »

Hey man, this is my fucking jamalam so I'm more than happy to help:

Firstly we're going to remember the golden rule - Fashion is about one thing: Feeling good and fuck everything else. If you don't feel good in anything you're "meant" to look good in, it's not for you. There's nothing worse than the dude that looks all uncomfortable because his clothes don't feel like a second skin. That said, human brains work a particular way with colours, so this is all conventional wisdom for a reason.

Charcoal suit is an excellent idea, three piece is an excellent idea. You've invested in VERSATILITY (this is a word to which we'll return in this post).

Don't wear a thin tie. You and I are the same, it'll make your head look fat. It's just not worth it when ties are 10 dollars (or like...3 pounds, or pi euros or whatever). Also yes, thin ties and wide lapels make you look like a scrappy douchebag, and this guy is incredibly attractive to start, so imagine how we'd look!
Spoiler:

Buy the following in a thickness that you like -
Black tie, dark blue tie, light blue tie, red tie.
Get yourself some matching pocket squares/hankies. Matching means similar, not exact. Worst case pick up a few plain white cause they'll go with most anything in that charcoal suit. This is your versatility set. You can wear any of those ties with that suit for different levels of formality, and you can do that with a white or black shirt underneath. Get a white shirt and a black shirt, you'll want both for (you guessed it) versatility. Two shirts, 1 suit, 4 ties, you've got yourself like seven different viable outfits! When buying shirts or ties your rule of thumb is
"two-and-one".
Two plain fabrics, one patterned fabric. Two dark or muted colours, one bright colour. This means you don't wear a purple cross-hatched shirt with a red striped tie (two bright colours, two patterns, they'll clash and look too busy).
Spoiler: Yes yes yes
Spoiler: Jesus God NO!

For the wedding either black or white will work. White is more traditional and more formal, black is more muted and (I'll be honest with you) more likely to hide the stains from the scotch you spill. The big thing is make sure your suit and your black shirt LOOK DIFFERENT. If they blend together you'll look like you're wearing a sack with a tie and you'll lose the whole effect. Plus (again, you and me, mate!) you're a big dude so a flat (i.e. pieces and patterns bleeding into each other) front will make you look like a brick wall or a boulder.
Spoiler: Definitely having fun at this party

Textures and edges will make you look crisp. The pattern helps with this. See how the tie bleeds in to the shirt. You don't want this.
Spoiler:

Paisley is coming back, if you want to get on that train. Here's a hint: You do, but it's not an easy train to get on. Maybe just wait until you've got your feet under you first.
Spoiler: then you do this

Red is not the wedding party colour. I'll guarantee you that. If it is, fuck it, anyone that has red as a wedding party colour isn't the type to get angry with you for wearing red.

Job interviews are jacket and trousers, maybe vest depending on the job for which you're interviewing, white shirt and black or dark blue tie. You want to impress them with your "put-together-ed-ness", not with your flashy bullshit. You also don't want to risk them not liking something. They might really hate red ties or garish shirts or whatever, but nobody hates standard dress. It's the safe play, then make up for it with your skillz.

Casual is super easy for you! You know why? VERSATILITY! Some people say you can wear a charcoal jacket over jeans, but they're wrong. Not because you can't, but because why would you when you bought a three piece?!
Spoiler: AWWWWW YISS!
Yeah. You can rock that look (TBH I'd probably drop the tie for smart-casual, put it on for semi-formal. I dunno, feel the people around you. Worst case, wear it, duck to the toilet and take it off). AdditionalEdit: If you wear a tie and no jacket you look like a manager at Target or WalMart or whatever the fuck the UK has (SheepStore, MushyPeasMart).

Last bit of advice: Black shoes, man. You want to go burgundy? Fine, I won't hold you back, but if you wear brown you'll look just terrible.
Spoiler: You can't prefer the right. Human brains aren't built that way

Cheat sheet:
  • Two-and-One
  • Tie as thick as your lapel. Thicker knots are better (full windsor, really)
  • ONE point of attention. A cool hat, a fluro paisley tie, a bright coloured square, but never all three. ONE. You are not a clown.
  • Complementary, Triad, and Analogous colours.
    FUCKING LEARN THIS.
    Best 10 minutes you'll spend, easy as SHIT to remember, and will make life easy.
  • Nobody wants to fuck the sad guy. Make sure it fits comfortably and that you enjoy wearing it.
  • $200 on a tailor is worth more than $1000 on a suit. If you get that charcoal tailored for a few bucks, it will make such a difference, and you can wear it everywhere.
  • Hang up your suit when you get home, not matter how trashed you are. Drycleaning is expensive and bad for the suit, you only really need to wash an occasional suit twice a year if you hang it up.
  • Feel good. Fuck everything else I wrote.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #23 (isolation #1) » Sun May 17, 2015 5:02 am

Post by Oman »

So guys, Chaz pulled off the red tie/white shirt. I'd like to see something in his pocket to splash colour next time, but overall I dug it.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #28 (isolation #2) » Sun May 17, 2015 6:12 am

Post by Oman »

In post 27, zoraster wrote:sear sucker

Seersucker has about 5 days left before it's allowed in the US.

Wearing Seersucker outside of that lovely time between Memorial Day in May and Labor Day in September is considered a faux pas. I don't really buy it, and TBH anyone wearing seersucker should probably do it because they like the suit and not because they want to look fashionable.

That said, I'd like to get a seersucker getup one day.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #38 (isolation #3) » Sun May 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 30, Oversoul wrote:Seersucker seems like the perfect summer style? It looks airy, light, and fun.

The thing is that Seersucker was made out of the fabric of Overalls, they're traditionally a blue-collar working class kind of suit. That alone gives it a lot of restrictions it wouldn't normally have. Not to mention the garish colours that normally come with Seersucker mean it just doesn't fit a winter look. Both the garishness and the blue-collar bit mean that it's never been a "default" look. It's never really caught on as fashion.

Prozac, just get a white hanky. It's like $2 for a pack of four.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #39 (isolation #4) » Mon May 18, 2015 2:26 am

Post by Oman »

I fucking swear as soon as I get back to a stable financial situation I'm going to buy a big flashy coloured summer suit.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #43 (isolation #5) » Mon May 18, 2015 10:41 am

Post by Oman »

I don't really know how the conversion rate is affected by purchase power so I'm gonna say...probably about half of what you'd spend on a nice shirt. Button ups here sit between $40 and $75 for things you'd wear with a suit. A good hat, all purpose should cost you between $20 and $40.

If you're going all purpose make sure you get muted colours so you can wear it with anything. Wintery hats are great in black and grey, summer hats rock in a muted cream.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #49 (isolation #6) » Thu May 21, 2015 10:29 pm

Post by Oman »

I've got some ideas but I'm getting drunk first :)
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #50 (isolation #7) » Sat May 23, 2015 2:50 am

Post by Oman »

In post 45, bv310 wrote:I need new formal work shoes. I teach, but I like to look nice when I do it. They need to be black, but past that I'm open to suggestions.

So I did my drinking thing, now I'm gonna hit you up with some sweet advice.

There are a couple of really good options for work shoes. I very very highly rate things like my RM Willams Boots Image

These are beautiful leather, and feel amazing. They're comfortable and they can be worn day after day with absolutely no issue because they're A) simple, clean, black. No bells and whistles so they go with almost EVERYTHING B) they're good quality leather so they don't scuff or mark through day-to-day wear. They're also clean and sexy and formal without being OVERLY formal. Like you can wear those with jeans, suits, chinos, whatever. There's an issue with price, because good leather boots are expensive, but it's totally worth it. If you don't want to spend on these, just pick another style, do not go for cheapies here, it'll be a waste!

I'm not sure what culture markers there are about these boots, especially given where you live bv, but with Australia having so much country in it's identity these are being accepted as a wonderful work boot for dudes in suits.

If you want something more casual: Image Black connie lows are a good choice. They live forever, never go out of style, and look great with jeans. Literally any canvas shoes will work, if you want to save some cash. Be aware that cheaper canvas shoes usually use a cheaper sole, so be aware of that when you're on your feet a lot.

Whatever you do, don't buy something like this Image They're too formal and you limit your choices of "causal" pants.

The big rule of shoes still applies:
Tyres, mattresses, and shoes. Spend wisely on the things between you and the earth.

Return to “General Discussion”