The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #17925 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 2:50 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 17924, aphix wrote:Terra Nova?

?
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17926 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 3:31 am

Post by davesaz »

Spoiler: question
How likely / common is dying in this pack?
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17927 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 5:02 am

Post by Maestro »

Depends. We're configuring it so that Apocalypse is appropriately dangerous below certain Y-levels, since Ores are much more common in that world.

EDIT:
Eventually, of course, even these threats should be mitigated somewhat by superior armor and weapons. Don't be too concerned.

The dungeons in Dimensional Doors and other mods that add worldgen aren't being messed with, so as always those are simply "enter at your own risk". Ancient is pretty tame, comparatively. That world is kindof the "default", that is to say, it has more plant growth and Animals will spawn there, like in the Vanilla Overworld.
Mist7676
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17928 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Post by Mist7676 »

In post 17926, davesaz wrote:
Spoiler: question
How likely / common is dying in this pack?

Same question, different person.
You Are Worth It
aphix
aphix
Mafia Scum
aphix
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17929 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 6:55 pm

Post by aphix »

Apocalyptic world. Go back in time. Live in peace until they get chewed on by dinosaurs.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17930 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Post by Maestro »

Weeping Angels <<< Dinosaurs

at least Dinos just kill you.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17931 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2015 8:39 pm

Post by Klazam »

it looks like a reasonable pack. a bit harder than usual packs

which translates to a death every 2 mins for you, mist
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17932 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2015 3:49 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

I'll try it. Send me info. I won't really be around until after Memorial Day though.
Art is cool.
Mist7676
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17933 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by Mist7676 »

In post 17931, Klazam wrote:it looks like a reasonable pack. a bit harder than usual packs

which translates to a death every 2 mins for you, mist

That's only slightly above vanilla time; I can manage.
You Are Worth It
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #17934 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2015 10:54 pm

Post by wgeurts »

Could you whitelist me?
I'm wgeurts (suprise, suprise).
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #17935 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2015 10:55 pm

Post by wgeurts »

Also, does the modpack have Thaumcraft, Ars Magica, Blood Magic, Totemic, Witchery or ICBM (with Atomic Science)?
I can't find the download or modlist.
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17936 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 2:37 am

Post by Klazam »

no, no, no, no, half, no

the modlist is in M's post. read his posts in depth. this pack is a bit more immersive than the usual plug + play packs. we expect you to follow the rules we set out, to the spirit, if its unstated.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17937 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 4:42 am

Post by Maestro »

@wge: If you were wondering about the main community modpack people play here, check the first post in this thread on page 1. There should be a link to the blog that
EspeciallyTheLies
maintains on that modpack. That pack has a ton of mods, including Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, and (IIRC) Witchery.

UE mods (like Atomic Science) have been pretty ugly to maintain in large modpacks for awhile now, mainly because Calclavia and some of the other mod devs don't like to play nice when it comes to mod integration, cooperation, and balance. ICBM is much more useful on modded servers where you can actually use the missiles - that's not likely to happen on any of the servers here since PvP is and always has been an optional thing that must be agreed to by all parties involved. Most of us don't want other people blowing us up with bombs, so mods that make that possible aren't needed.

If you were talking about the pack I only recently posted about, see the spoiler below.

Spoiler:
In post 17935, wgeurts wrote:Also, does the modpack have Thaumcraft, Ars Magica, Blood Magic, Totemic, Witchery or ICBM (with Atomic Science)?
I can't find the download or modlist.

The modlist is here.

Lemme know if you have any questions on how I organized the Google Sheet. The download links are purposefully broken at the moment; I'm finishing up revisions to the configs.

We decided not to use Thaumcraft or Blood Magic since they have a tendency to force players to grind to get anywhere, and it takes awhile for the time investment involved to pay off, especially when compared to other magic mods like Botania or Witchery.

There's not a lot of build scaling involved with Thaumcraft or Blood Magic either: you either have to go all-out and have a couple Energized Nodes and a big Essentia Processing system, or you can't get much done in end-game Thaumcraft. Similarly, Blood Magic's Tier 6 Altar is massive and requires crazy materials like 4 Nether Stars and insane gear to even survive the Demon Invasion. Alternatively, Botania can be extremely useful with just a small, renewable solar or lunar (or hydro!) Mana farm, and Witchery only requires a small tree and herb farm to make some of the most useful Brews and equipment.

Ars Magica is a different beast entirely. We considered including it for a bit, but decided that the "spell system" doesn't really fit in our vision for this pack. The RPG nature of Ars (the spellbook and the leveling up and all the random mobs) was not at all what we wanted cluttering up the pack.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #17938 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 6:35 am

Post by wgeurts »

Okay I can understand that, I'll download it later. I noticed it's 1.7.10, why this version when 1.6.4 is so much more supported at the moment?
Also. Why was Iron Chests removed, and is there no buildcraft?

Edit: Is this just a general Minecraft Thread or is it only for ETL's modpack/server?
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17939 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 8:05 am

In post 17938, wgeurts wrote:general Minecraft Thread

^ this :P

The only reason I technically "own" the OP is because I took over admin of the official server. It belonged to Maestro before me. :cool:

To those wondering - I promise I have not abandoned you. (Klaz I know you probably hate me right now, but trust me, I haven't even opened my laptop in over 2 months.)

I will be returning after Memorial Day with an update and relaunch for ScumPack.
Art is cool.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17940 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 8:19 am

Post by Oso »

In post 17938, wgeurts wrote:Okay I can understand that, I'll download it later. I noticed it's 1.7.10, why this version when 1.6.4 is so much more supported at the moment?
Also. Why was Iron Chests removed, and is there no buildcraft?

Edit: Is this just a general Minecraft Thread or is it only for ETL's modpack/server?

With some exceptions here and there, 1.6.4 modded is pretty much set in stone. It is as good as it is going to get. Which, in all honesty, isn't bad at all. Lots of gameplay left in 1.6.4

Virtually all mod authors have switched their development to 1.7.10 and, from the looks of it, that is where it is going to stay for a while. I'm not a coder and I haven't been keeping up on the forums or the IRC rooms but from what I have heard, MC 1.8 is requiring an almost total rewrite of how mods interact with the Minecraft code and most authors are giving it a pass until Mojang releases a version that shows clear improvement over 1.7.10.

Like I said though, I haven't been very active in the rooms or forums lately so the impression I got from what was being said then, may be totally wrong now.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #17941 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 9:07 am

Post by wgeurts »

And who makes these modpacks?
Also why isn't this hosted on Technic, ATL or FTB?
Wouldn't it make it easier to push updates?

As for the 1.7.10, I agree. I usually wait before stuff has settled and the bugs are gone before switching though. There's also the fact that UE is being a pain and I generally use them (ICBM, Resonant Induction, etc.) heavily.

Changing subject, are there any MCPVP players here? We could start a clan.
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #17942 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 9:11 am

Post by Maruchan »

I can answer soem of the origins of these questions.

We tried FTB as a resource, it became increasingly obvious their private packs system si flawed and anti-user-friendly. It didn't suite our needs. Technic has always had a certain "bad name" associated it within groups of the minecraft community, and so we originally avoided this laucnher as an option. ATL did not exist, or was not popular enough to be known at the time.

Wh yETL continues to not use htem, is her own choice, but I would assume it stems from habbit/practice/lack of wanting to change.

ETL makes these modpacks, with significant input from the MafiaScum Minecraft community. Extremely significant input. At points in time, other individuals have crafted the packs, these include myself, M, klaz, dav, blake, and others.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #17943 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 9:19 am

Post by wgeurts »

And from what I can tell players like exploration and magic mods over highly technical ones?
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17944 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 9:22 am

In post 17943, wgeurts wrote:And from what I can tell players like exploration and magic mods over highly technical ones?

definitely not :P

There's a healthy mix of love for both from different players.
Art is cool.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17945 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 10:32 am

Post by Maestro »

What ETL said. The only reason the personal pack I posted about doesn't have any huge tech mods is because they didn't fit the "theme" or backstory for our personal pack. I'd like to also add that (even if Ops sometimes delegate to players) we've been VERY supportive as a community of tech issues when it comes to getting the packs working and up-to-date on everybody's computers. Downloading is downloading, and it doesn't matter to most where they download from. It's easier to have help from a bunch of players who've just gone through most of what are than it is to search the FTB forums for help from people who posted weeks or months ago.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17946 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 10:37 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 17938, wgeurts wrote:Why was Iron Chests removed, and is there no buildcraft?

Iron Chests was removed because when we said we wanted to try a lot of the newer 1.7.10 mods even if they replaced ones we'd been using for a long time, Oso suggested we look into Compact Storage. It's a very cool mod - it adds a crafting block for upgrading chests with enough space to fill the screen and it has some tiered "backpacks" to match.

There is no BuildCraft in the personal pack, correct.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17947 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 11:52 am

Post by davesaz »

I'll figure try the Maestro/Klaz pack/server, in large part because it's different from what I've been doing. The current ScumPack (in the OP) has a lot of tech type mods, and that has been my comfort zone in the past. Playing modded with less tech will be a good change of pace. ;)
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17948 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 11:53 am

Post by davesaz »

In post 17939, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:
I will be returning after Memorial Day with an update and relaunch for ScumPack.

If you're planning to update/change mods, I have some observations from the sp world I've been playing.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17949 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2015 12:29 pm

Post by Oso »

In post 17946, Maestro wrote:
In post 17938, wgeurts wrote:Why was Iron Chests removed, and is there no buildcraft?

Iron Chests was removed because when we said we wanted to try a lot of the newer 1.7.10 mods even if they replaced ones we'd been using for a long time, Oso suggested we look into Compact Storage. It's a very cool mod - it adds a crafting block for upgrading chests with enough space to fill the screen and it has some tiered "backpacks" to match.

There is no BuildCraft in the personal pack, correct.

Yeah, it does allow you to pretty much customize your chests to your needs and they can be colored at no cost. They can get expensive. If I have it figured correctly, to get the max sized chest will take 44 Iron (12 Ingots for Iron Bars + 32 Ingots), 72 Planks (for 9 chests) and 9 Clay. Obviously, the wood and clay isn't a real concern but the iron is kinda on the heavy side considering there are alternatives that hold more and cost less. But they (Barrels/DSUs and things like that) are single item storage. Being able to get 288 stack storage where you can mix the items is well worth the iron cost in my opinion.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.

Return to “The Arcade”