what is OMGUS?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #17 (isolation #0) » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:48 am

Post by Rishi »

Didn't they try to mainstream Mafia with that Cry Wolf movie? It didn't catch on. Of course, maybe they should have made a better movie.

The problem with Mafia going mainstream is, from a Media perspective, they like promoting champions. In every game of Mafia, a whole team of people wins. Also, you can play very well and still not win. I mean, I'm not ever sure how you would structure a Mafia world championship.

Mafia's future in the mainstream is as a social party game, rather than a competitive tournament game. I could see it one day being like charades.
Taking a break from MS. Please send e-mail if you want to get in touch with me.
Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #23 (isolation #1) » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:40 am

Post by Rishi »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Rishi wrote:Mafia's future in the mainstream is as a social party game, rather than a competitive tournament game. I could see it one day being like charades.
Uhhh, its
origin
is as a social party game, too, of course. Between "Are You a Werewolf?" by Looney Labs and "Bang!" by Mayfair, it's getting its fair share of play. Dragon*Con has 24-hour (near enough) continuous games of AYAW? in or near the gaming hall for three days straight... and then there's all the people who take it to summer camps, sleepovers, etc.

Orbiting and I keep trying to sort out how to get people locally to play face-to-face, but we've always got better/quicker/more interesting games to play...
What I meant was its future in the mainstream. I consider it more of a social gamer's game rather than a social party game, since I rarely hear about non-gamers playing it. That's why I made the comparison to charades. I think Mafia has the potential to get there.

Maz Medias - That is a good starting point for a structure for a championship, but that's not really something that would work in a televised atmosphere. I can kind of picture a game of Mafia being televised, with heavy editing and a narrator explaining what is going on. Also, do you give the audience complete or incomplete information? (i.e. Should the audience know the roles?) I don't know if it is feasible to show complete games in real time, too.

Wow, I have gone way off the original topic of the thread. Sorry.
Taking a break from MS. Please send e-mail if you want to get in touch with me.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”