Standardized Rules and Role PMs (Open Games)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (isolation #0) » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:02 am

Post by somestrangeflea »

mneme wrote: I think "total victory -- or nothing can prevent same" is the only good answer. the "50% mafia" or ">50% mafia" rules are really an attempt to encapsulate "nothing can prevent same" in numbers.
I agree. >50% mafia doesn't take into account Vigs & SKs. The Mafia win condition should be:
You win when Mafia members are the only survivors, or when nothing can prevent the same.
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (isolation #1) » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:39 am

Thesp wrote:
somestrangeflea wrote:
mneme wrote: I think "total victory -- or nothing can prevent same" is the only good answer. the "50% mafia" or ">50% mafia" rules are really an attempt to encapsulate "nothing can prevent same" in numbers.
I agree. >50% mafia doesn't take into account Vigs & SKs. The Mafia win condition should be:
You win when Mafia members are the only survivors, or when nothing can prevent the same.
But do you think the mafia
should
win if it's 2 mafia against a vig and doc only going into Day?
Well, since it's 2v2, there cannot possibly be a lynch. In that situation, it would move straight into night, and the night choices would decide the game.
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (isolation #2) » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:55 am

The next morning, there could be a number of situations:
  1. Only scum remain - Scum win (caused by scum killing vig and vig killing doc)
  2. 2 scum v doc - Scum win (caused by doc preventing vig-kill on scum, and mafia killing vig. The next day, scum control the lynch.)
  3. 2 scum v vig - Scum win (caused by doc preventing vig-kill on scum, and mafia killing doc. The next day, scum control the lynch)
  4. 1 scum v doc - Scum win (caused by vig-kill on scum, and mafia killing vig. Scum kills doc the following night)
  5. 1 scum v vig - Draw (caused by vig-kill on scum, and mafia killing doc. No-lynch, and both kill each other the following night.)
  6. 1 scum v vig + doc - ?? (caused by vig-kill on scum, and doc preventing kill on vig. Next day lynch decides the game)
It's highly likely that the scum
would
win that situation, but they shouldn't be
given
the game if that setup were to occur.
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (isolation #3) » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:30 pm

Kelly Chen wrote:It occurs to me that with this win condition, as long as the game has not been called, the scum know the town has some way to thwart them. I'm not sure what they could do with that info, but it seems inappropriate.
Yeah, but we're talking about Open Games, remember? Chances are the scum would know this anyway.
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (isolation #4) » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:51 am

Thesp wrote:
mneme wrote:
Thesp wrote:But do you think the mafia should win if it's 2 mafia against a vig and doc only going into Day?
No, I don't. Do you?
Yes. There's even some game-historical precedent to the concept that once the mafia reach half of the living players in the game, they come out and openly slaughter everyone left. All games I run feature this aspect - even if the town could theoretically do something at night, they won't make it there.
Whether or not the game ends at =>50% Mafia could become setup dependant, with some Open Games automatically killing the game at =>50% Mafia, and others playing right to the end.
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (isolation #5) » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:57 am

Thesp wrote:
somestrangeflea wrote:
Thesp wrote:
mneme wrote:
Thesp wrote:But do you think the mafia should win if it's 2 mafia against a vig and doc only going into Day?
No, I don't. Do you?
Yes. There's even some game-historical precedent to the concept that once the mafia reach half of the living players in the game, they come out and openly slaughter everyone left. All games I run feature this aspect - even if the town could theoretically do something at night, they won't make it there.
Whether or not the game ends at =>50% Mafia could become setup dependant, with some Open Games automatically killing the game at =>50% Mafia, and others playing right to the end.
Which should be standard, though? It will make it easier if we determine one way to be standard, and others to be variant thereof for ease of reference.
Hmm... I think the classic method should be standard, simply because that's the way everyone's used to! The other variant can have a fancy name, like "Town Catch-Up" or something...
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (isolation #6) » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:54 am

What if the "or equal to" of the "You win when you make up greater than or equal to 50% of the players" in the scum WC was removed.

Logically, this would make more sense, as, with a 2 on 2, there is still a possible town win, but if it were 3 on 2, then the scum have pretty much guaranteed a win, unless both townies are vigs!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”