Dance of the Title Fairy: Pale Moonlight Edition

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #120 (isolation #0) » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:27 am

Post by Tierce »

There's certainly a lot of... spirit going on here.

In post 83, esuriospiritus wrote:Also seriously I'm sorry but the 3 months rule is just wtf no. 3 months is barely enough time for a newbie game to finish (ok, maybe two if they're both really short). How many newbies -- even the ones that manage to complete a game here -- go on to actually stay on the site long enough to make a mark on it? You're willing to give people who will probably ditch the site within the first year a title but there are still people who have been here for years who even most of the newbies know that still don't have titles? That's kinda fucked up. If anything, I think the time before someone is eligible for a title should be increased, not decreased.
I got my title before the 6-month mark because Oman went all ABUSE OF POWER (...I didn't even have 100 in-game posts remaining after the crash wiped out the late 2011/early 2012 stuff). It was a pretty memorable circumstance and I've stuck around, in one way or another. I think the 3-month rule is fine. If a user has a memorable trait and there is a clever suggestion, then why not? Users can apply to be an IC after spending three months on site. If they have enough experience to be relatively competent at teaching Mafia, then they are probably capable of being memorable. People aren't going to waltz in and demand titles (because self-noms were, are and will be frowned upon), but what if a 3-month user gets a fitting one? It's not the end of the world, I suspect.

What's the problem if someone with a title doesn't stick around, anyway? It's not like they are a precious commodity and limited stock. We have a lot of long term users who have titles and are inactive. "Prioritizing" titles based on user "contribution"? As long as SK keeps on top of things, it's not like he has a queue of users to go through
one and only one at a time

tl;dr there are quite a few people taking this far too seriously, and while I singled out esurio's post, she is not the only one. Take a deep breath, folks.

And more to the point,
nth Seven-Colored Puppeteer for FakeGod
Last edited by Tierce on Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #194 (isolation #1) » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:22 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 193, TheButtonmen wrote:
In post 192, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 188, Shadoweh wrote:I thought the entire point of having a Title Fairy instead of setting your own title was for the Fairy to make decisions about what titles were appropriate after nominations. It's literally SK's job to reject titles outright if he doesn't think they're appropriate.
In general, no title fairy has been hands on like this. The Title Fairy is a ceremonial position. They're there to enact the will of the community while stepping in only when absolutely appropriate. Outright rejecting titles that have community support with no room for discussion is not how a TF should act imo
Citation needed.
Adding citation [3], an exchange about what
is
the Title Fairy job as seen by the community. They've been plenty hands-on and you only need to look at the two most recent TFs' ISOs (or at some of the rejection posts TheButtonmen and Oman did, if ISOs are too long) to see that.

Return to “Player Titles”