Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (isolation #0) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:46 am

Post by theaceofspades »

In post 10, Umbrage wrote:
In post 6, tanstalas wrote:Should I buy an xb1. My only concern is how far my consoles are from my screen. Anyone know how long kinect cords are?
why would you want one?

serious question - I have yet to hear one semi-good reason to buy an xbone from anyone

Because titanfall
As the king of all cosmos remarked "is it really fun? or that it let's you forget yourself?"
aceofspades is the worst poster on site and anyone that hasn't got him on ignore is doing themselves a disservice ~N
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (isolation #1) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

except for the fact that me having a gaming computer is really not feasible in any way.
As the king of all cosmos remarked "is it really fun? or that it let's you forget yourself?"
aceofspades is the worst poster on site and anyone that hasn't got him on ignore is doing themselves a disservice ~N
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (isolation #2) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:29 am

Post by theaceofspades »

is it good? I wasn't expecting much in the off year..... And I wasn't a fan of 3 anyway........please tell me they got rid of all those sort of cutscenes.

Also. Titanfall has some interesting parts that differentiate it from "just another shooter" the jetpacks, the extraction mechanic, the mech that you can both ride and have follow you around.

and my 360 is on it's last legs anyway

Who says story is necessary for a good game? I hate the story of AC but that doesn't stop it from being a favorite series of mine.

It's not supposed to have a story. They addressed this and what they said makes sense. Developers should pick, and then make a single player game or a multiplayer game, except in very rare cases.

I do want the kinect, so i love when people yell about "the customer doesn't want that." I do. I think it's kinda fun, but my family plays on my console a lot as well. and both my mother and sister both enjoy it immensely.

Also. I've been a halo fan since I was 6 so........ yeah I want to play 5. Killzone is the only thing that really draws me to the PS3.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (isolation #3) » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

have abilities ever had cooldowns in elder scrolls? (i believe not but i dont' want to say dogmatically)
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (isolation #4) » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:09 am

Post by theaceofspades »

1 word. Pikmen 3
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #160 (isolation #5) » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:48 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

i've been playing the stanly parable.......i'm afraid I don't get it.......I don't see what the hype was about

it was a bit funny, but no where near as good as people claimed
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #174 (isolation #6) » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:37 am

Post by theaceofspades »

In post 163, Sudo_Nym wrote:The Wolf Among Us: Just did the whole first part in one sitting, cannot wait for the rest. Snow White's voice sounds wrong to me, but that's my personal hangup, I guess.
In post 160, theaceofspades wrote:i've been playing the stanly parable.......i'm afraid I don't get it.......I don't see what the hype was about

it was a bit funny, but no where near as good as people claimed
The Stanley Parable is supposed to be a huge metacommentery on "sandbox" games- the whole point is that you can theoretically do whatever you want, but you can't, because you can actually only do what it's been decided in advance you can do. Notice that no matter what path you pick, there's always narration- no matter how original you think your thinking is, you can really only do it because the developers decided in advance that you could. Stanley's whole deal before he begins the game is that he "pushes buttons, waits until the computer tells him it's time to push a button again, and then pushes the appropriate button," which is basically what gamers do. In the best ending, he basically gets freedom by persuing a life where he doesn't push buttons and doesn't get swept up in somebody else's story, but that in itself is hypocritically, because the only way to achieve true freedom is to slavishly do what you're told.

YMMV on whether the commentary is accurate or not, but that's the intention.

See i get the idea. And imo the question of choice the wrong question anyway. Since perception drives the idea of meaning, any choice or non-choice is a choice if the chooser decided it is. Even if objectively it didn't change anything.

I just thought it was rather pretentious and predictable. just a big Developers Think of Everything exercise. Which is how all games should be anyway.

Slightly funny yes. Exciting, groundbreaking, gates-of-knowledge feeling? no.

now kerbal space program. That's a good game about choice. Because who cares about philosophy if i'm blowing crap up?
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #193 (isolation #7) » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

so is XCOM. doesn't stop it from being in my top 5

i have noe exp with space though.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #249 (isolation #8) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

i made 48 dollars off of 7 xbox 360 games last week. Very happy with that return.

so (don't hit me i know I'm late) should I get starcraft 2? i'm nervous bout the login requirements since I really hate that idea.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #275 (isolation #9) » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

What? nooooooo I was not aware of that......crap, why?
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #411 (isolation #10) » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:38 am

Post by theaceofspades »

In post 390, Umbrage wrote:Bought Payday 1. Anyone still play?
i have it. haven't played much.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #425 (isolation #11) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

In post 420, Umbrage wrote:
In post 415, xRECKONERx wrote:Last chance sale. I'm debating on getting:

Dark Souls + Age of Empires 2
Payday 2
Tomb Raider

Can only get one... I'm very torn.
you should get Dishonored if you haven't already

...have I mentioned my intense love for Dishonored before?
I share your love. Dishonored was the first truly great game i've played in years.

Star citizen.... I just found it and i cannot tell you how excited i am. This is going to sound horrible when I say it but......YOU CAN COMMIT FREAKING INSURANCE FRAUD WITH YOUR SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!! That. Is. Awesome.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #508 (isolation #12) » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYYA
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #545 (isolation #13) » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

In post 533, Umbrage wrote:BTW does anyone want my spare Monaco/Swapper?
I would gladly take that off your hands.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #807 (isolation #14) » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:12 am

Post by theaceofspades »

i play KSP ocasionally.

I played the hell out of it when it had like 5 pieces. and then stopped for a while. When i came back it had like 8 bazillion more parts so i'm not really sure what a lot of them do.

It's the only thing in my life that has made me actively want to study physics. I've landed on the moon several times, but i have never been able to return cause i suck at piloting.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #809 (isolation #15) » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:43 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

i have been and it's fun but i messed up my path so i didn't get braces whooops. so now my rockets are really unstable. I think i'm gonna start over actually.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #833 (isolation #16) » Mon May 05, 2014 9:16 am

Post by theaceofspades »

idk that anybody cares. But i played a bit of ACIV last week. And i liked it a lot more than III. Which i kinda hated. I found i enjoyed boarding poor saps and stealing their stuff a lot more fun than i thought i would.

In that vein of things nobody cares about. I'm sorta proud of the fact that i was in the top 4000 on the ACIII multiplayer. And with only a week of play was in the top 6000 of IV.

Add that to the list of useless skills i can't put on a resume.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1158 (isolation #17) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:18 am

Post by theaceofspades »

you guys are too smart for me. I just add thrusters and bracers till the ducid thing flies. Which is the fun part. i vastly prefer the designing to the piloting.

I think the first time i landed on mun i had 16 solid fuel boosters. With 8 firing in the first stage.
And i have no idea what those words you guys are saying mean. But i made it to the mun and back. yay me. might start playing again in which case i may ask for science-y help
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1223 (isolation #18) » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

hey guys i want to get the age of empires legacy pack. seeing as it's on sale. Problem is i have no car to get a wallet code. If one of you could gift it to me i'd be eternally grateful. And i'd gift you something equal or send you a wallet code on tuesday. PM me if you can. Please and thank you.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1225 (isolation #19) » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:02 am

Post by theaceofspades »

sadly. it was too late
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1309 (isolation #20) » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:47 am

Post by theaceofspades »

i bought Shadow yesterday. And in my first 10 minutes had a gang of like 50 orcs chasing me that included 3 named ones. I died, predictably.

But now im a lot better! it's hecka fun.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1313 (isolation #21) » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:09 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

In post 1311, Oman wrote:
In post 1309, theaceofspades wrote:i bought Shadow yesterday. And in my first 10 minutes had a gang of like 50 orcs chasing me that included 3 named ones. I died, predictably.

But now im a lot better! it's hecka fun.

The first time I died was the first time it sold me, when he got promoted to captain. That and after I drained one then he ran away, his skin was bone white and every time we met he would talk about my shellfire.

Actually felt really alive, which is rare in games that talk of consequence and open world.

same. random orc get's a name and fancy armor. And now i really want to kill him. But first i must become not crappy at this game. Totally epic.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1316 (isolation #22) » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:43 am

Post by theaceofspades »

i want a key :(
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1372 (isolation #23) » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:20 am

Post by theaceofspades »

I have a DS gathering dust. I want to remedy this. I got it unexpectedly for free a long time ago, and i can't be fussed to do any research. What should i get?
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1393 (isolation #24) » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:46 am

Post by theaceofspades »

In post 1373, bv310 wrote:DS or 3DS?

it has an i at the end....?
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1403 (isolation #25) » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

In post 1394, Parama wrote:DSi is normal DS then, essentially.

ah ok. so chevre's recommendations are what i should look at? cool. thanks then!
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1416 (isolation #26) » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

In post 1407, Chevre wrote:theace my recommendations are probably niche as usual and you might want to get others opinions :P

also wow at such division on Dragon Age

as the only one with recommendations here you are in first place by default!
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1418 (isolation #27) » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:26 am

Post by theaceofspades »

DS games for me to waste more of my time playing
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1447 (isolation #28) » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

I thank you all for the recommendations. I will look into them
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1586 (isolation #29) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:36 am

Post by theaceofspades »

In post 1548, LlamaFluff wrote:Anyone else been playing around with the Halo 5 Beta? This week its AR + Magnus loadout locked for those who don't like playing BRs.

Its decent enough, still get the feeling that they are adding new things to make it not be the same old game, but I miss Halo 2 and 3 still where it was very pure basic BR type play.

i've been playing it a lot. BRs are up now which is a plus for me. I had misgivings about clamber but really it just seems to be a simpler crouch jump. I also like thruster pack more than i though i would. Move speed seems perfect again. and no AAs. I'm happy. As a guy who's not really been fully captured by a game since H3 i'm happy. Oh and the hydra is ridiculous with hover.

Downside. I think kill times are too fast. just slightly, at least with the AR. But at least the sniper rifle feels right again.

Breakout is like speedball. Hella fun, and really kind of stupid.
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1588 (isolation #30) » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:43 am

Post by theaceofspades »

agreed on all points.

I haven't actually noticed much team creating based on rank at all. Seems fairly random. Though it's possible i'm just not yet good at picking out stacks.

A goodness. H3 lone wolves ranked. i feel nostalgic and i'm not even 30.

Breakout fills my speedball fix now that i'm too poor to actually play it. First day i had a bunch of glitches where it dropped me outside the map for no apparent reason. So that was weird.

I've now taken a policy of never taking the BR, simply because people don't know how to play around it. They either grab it and sit way in the back till it's 3 on 1. or they rush face first and die. NOw i just go for the risking run through the middle plays. Way better success rate. And if you take it they expect you to play one of those ways. Sigh. I need to get a group together again. Interested?

I think it's necessary to resign myself to the fact that Matchmaking will never be good again. Never played anything that did it as well as 3. Now i'm just a sucker for the proper gameplay
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1631 (isolation #31) » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:09 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

my ranking comment is based on several games in a row where it's me, and 3 people who have 0 games played in the list, against a bronze and 3 onyx. Idk where that comes from
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1654 (isolation #32) » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:18 am

Post by theaceofspades »

the beta has ended :(. also. why does the rocket launcher look like godzilla's back?
V/LA weekends
theaceofspades
theaceofspades
Goon
theaceofspades
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1710 (isolation #33) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:42 pm

Post by theaceofspades »

did not like HR. played about an hour and quit. My dad finished it. Watching him i don't particularly regret not playing it.
V/LA weekends

Return to “The Arcade”