Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #1850 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:34 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 1849, BBmolla wrote:Got Coup, Sheriff of Nottingham, and Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

I love Coup, it's the perfect balance of simple and tactical.

Haven't tried Sheriff yet.

Betrayal on first playthrough was kind of rough, as I'd only played it once and the people I was playing with hadn't played at all. But I think it's a game that gets better after you've played it a couple times. I was the traitor, and my banshee got wrecked in two rounds due to luck unfortunately.

Betrayal needs the advice I gave about Tales. Get drunk, play it like a story game, have fun.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1851 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:37 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1849, BBmolla wrote:Got Coup, Sheriff of Nottingham, and Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

I love Coup, it's the perfect balance of simple and tactical.

Haven't tried Sheriff yet.

Betrayal on first playthrough was kind of rough, as I'd only played it once and the people I was playing with hadn't played at all. But I think it's a game that gets better after you've played it a couple times. I was the traitor, and my banshee got wrecked in two rounds due to luck unfortunately.

I hated Coup when I played it. It felt like it was more complicated than it was trying to be.

Betrayal is fun, but nowhere near balanced. You have to go into it for the experience, not for tight mechanics.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1852 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:38 am

Post by diginova »

Also make sure you're playing the newer version of Betrayal. The errata for the first edition is longer than the rulebook.
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1853 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Cousin decided to host a game night for Christmas. Had a little trepidation, since most games in this family are Monopoly, but I brought over my stash, got them hooked on Catan. Should be a good start on classing up the joint.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1854 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:08 pm

Post by Oman »

Got
Cards Against Humanity
and
Masquerade
for Christmas. Loved Coup so hoping masquerade is good fun.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1855 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Post by diginova »

Go Ticket or Small World next if they loved Catan.
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1856 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:27 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 1854, Oman wrote:Got
Cards Against Humanity
and
Masquerade
for Christmas. Loved Coup so hoping masquerade is good fun.

It's definitely fun when drunk. It's a lot more chaotic than coup because invariably people forget things quickly or aren't sure of the switch they made.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1857 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:58 am

Post by Faraday »

(I do prefer Coup though)
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #1858 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:39 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 1838, Mr. Flay wrote:Got for my birthday last month. We've now played twice... it's pretty enjoyable, but
good gods does it take forever
for a relatively simple game. 2400+ 'stories' in the book, each one with multiple options that vary based on your skills or treasures or statuses... this thing REALLY wants to be a video game. Without all the number crunching and page flipping, it would probably take an hour. As it stands, a 3p game took us about 2 1/2 hours (while learning it) and a 5p game took almost 3 1/2 hours. Doesn't scale well. Only other real complaint is that the player tokens are much too large for the board, obscuring your travel routes/city name/etc.

I love Tales, but to me it is strictly a 2 or 3 player game, because of the time thing. I'd usually expect it to last around 1.5 hours when you are familiar with it. Also (you may already do this) I would always start heading towards the correct page before they roll the fudge die.

And I know what you mean about the feeling that some of the page-searching could be automated, but at the same time, I think that might take away some of the magic of knowing how many different encounters you could possibly have. Also a large part of the fun is in reading them out loud to each other, and the allure of knowing that if you'd had the Robe of Honour of the Magic Bridle or Storytelling or Wisdom, then your last adventure might have gone differently.

Also my house rule is that if Drink is ever an option in the reaction matrix then you have to take it.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #1859 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:05 am

Post by BBmolla »

In post 1851, hasdgfas wrote:I hated Coup when I played it. It felt like it was more complicated than it was trying to be.

I actually think it's incredibly elegant. It takes about a game to teach people, but afterwards it makes sense to them. Played that and Resistance with family, both went over very well.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1860 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:40 am

Post by Patrick »

Very easy to learn, not so easy to play well. Elegant is the word.
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #1861 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:32 am

Post by BBmolla »

I tell the truth too much unfortunately.

I feel like one can pretty easily claim to have a duke early on and get away with it.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #1862 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:46 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Immediately establish a meta of semi-randomly calling out first-turn taxers. It's fun.
Coup
is the balls. (I'd like to try the expansion but not compatible with our homebrew set! Also, I've heard good things about Coup 1945 or whatever it's called... will report back when I have a chance to play.)

No new physical games this Christmas but I've spent a lot of today playing a shit-ton of
Galaxy Trucker
on the iPad and it's a BRILLIANT conversion. Also working my way through some others but can already recommend
Ascension
Star Realms
Ticket to Ride
and
Hive
on iOS.
#greenshirtthursdays
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1863 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Ascension on iOS, CDB? Yaw and I both have it as well. (I have it on Steam, but there's cross-platform play). We should get you added to that circle.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1864 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:09 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I've got Ascension on iPad, too.

Need to try Galaxy Trucker, but I've heard nothing but marvelous things.
green shirt thursdays
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1865 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've got ticket to ride on Steam, and would be interested in Galaxy Trucker if it's cross platform.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1866 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:09 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

finally got to play some of my Christmas haul last night:

Iota:
Okay, this game is just...
wow
. It's a tiny game and it's deceptively easy to explain/understand, but my god I could almost feel my brain heating up from how hard it was having to work. The colors and shapes and numbers were all swirling around... wow. It feels like a super genius version of Scrabble. Playing this game is like learning to speak a different language in how your brain has to process and view the board and line up plays. I don't think this will get a TON of play but it will probably get some of the, "waiting around for people to show up" play.

Sushi Go!:
The drafting mechanic is so simple... this is basically 7 Wonders for babies. Not that it's a bad thing at all -- it just didn't feel like there was a whole lot to it. Granted, maybe things become a little more evident in future playthroughs (like how many nagiri cards you should take on average) but the fact that it doesn't really evolve over its three rounds makes me a little sad. If they even through in a few big score cards near the end based on your first two rounds/sets, I think it'd work. But it's quick and painless to setup and play, which means it'll probably see a ton of "downtime between games while people mingle and smoke" play at our house.

Suburubia:
Ho. Lee. Fuck. This game. This fucking game. First off, WOW it takes way longer to complete than I originally thought it would. It took us about 2.5 hours to play, with a quick 5 minute smoke break in the middle. But that first playthrough was like constant revelation after revelation. I can see how deeply strategic this game is... and the way it takes the drafting mechanic from Smallworld and re-appropriates it here is absolutely beautiful. What a gorgeous game, by the way... it's so well designed. It's a game where the theme/flavor is equally as strong as the mechanics, and I fucking LOVED it. While waiting for my turn, I'd just read through the different tiles and chuckle at how clever some of the flavor -> mechanics translations were. The last round, when we were in the C tiles, everyone was jittery and nervous, waiting for that 1 More Turn tile to flip. And when it did... man, everyone went into a panic on the last turn. And man, the reveal of the secret goals at the end was fucking great! I sort of wish you had more than one secret goal to go for, a la Keyflower, because only having the one feels a little bit like... the game is decided before final scoring. But this was great, and the mechanics were great, and while it took a little bit too long (compared to Keyflower, which takes like an hour tops) I think part of that might've been us not knowing the tiles and having to read them all over and over again.

Oh yeah and the speedbump mechanic... holy shit, that is GENIUS! Not only does it stop games from becoming snowball runaway victories, but it forces an interesting balancing mechanic in your strategies. I accidentally (seriously, without trying) kept getting reputation gains in the early game, so eventually my reputation was at +6 while everyone else had +1 or 0, which meant I was hitting tons of speedbumps. Eventually I had to buy a tile and place it STRATEGICALLY for the negative effect to bump down my reputation so I could build up a little bit of income.

Just... what a brilliant fucking game.

Sheriff of Nottingham arrives next week.
green shirt thursdays
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1867 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:38 am

Post by Faraday »

Imperial Settlers
: So yeah, this is fun. I played the Barbarians, my friend played the Romans. The factions play super different, it seems, so that's cool. It does seem rather dependant on what cards you draw, but that's no different than any card draw and I think there's plenty of ways to mitigate it by trying to draw more cards. We played a few rules wrong, nothing major but it feels like it'll be easier for us to do more next time. So yeah, that's encouraging.

Also played a few games of 7 wonders, 3 player. Very fun, had only played it a few times before this, but it's relatively simple to pick up and my brother and his friend grasped it pretty quickly. Can't wait to try it out with a few more players.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1868 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:49 am

Post by Chevre »

Yeah. Sushi Go! Was literally in my Amazon Cart at one point but I didn't commit because it seemed like such a simple implementation of the drafting mechanic, and I was like, why go backwards from 7 wonders?
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1869 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:23 am

Post by Faraday »

Oh, also got the Guardians of The Galaxy expansion for Marvel: Legendary. Can't wait to try it. Thanos!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1870 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:25 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 1868, Chevre wrote:Yeah. Sushi Go! Was literally in my Amazon Cart at one point but I didn't commit because it seemed like such a simple implementation of the drafting mechanic, and I was like, why go backwards from 7 wonders?

Yeah, that's my feeling, as well. Though, it is much quicker than 7 Wonders (like 15 minutes), and it's easier to get everything out quickly and get going. No removing cards based on number of players, no special ages to distribute, and it's a lot less complicated.
green shirt thursdays
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1871 (ISO) » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:09 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 1869, Faraday wrote:Oh, also got the Guardians of The Galaxy expansion for Marvel: Legendary. Can't wait to try it. Thanos!

ahhhh we need this

also, Villains
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1872 (ISO) » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:57 am

Post by chamber »

In post 1866, xRECKONERx wrote:Suburubia: Ho. Lee. Fuck. This game. This fucking game. First off, WOW it takes way longer to complete than I originally thought it would. It took us about 2.5 hours to play, with a quick 5 minute smoke break in the middle. But that first playthrough was like constant revelation after revelation. I can see how deeply strategic this game is... and the way it takes the drafting mechanic from Smallworld and re-appropriates it here is absolutely beautiful. What a gorgeous game, by the way... it's so well designed. It's a game where the theme/flavor is equally as strong as the mechanics, and I fucking LOVED it. While waiting for my turn, I'd just read through the different tiles and chuckle at how clever some of the flavor -> mechanics translations were. The last round, when we were in the C tiles, everyone was jittery and nervous, waiting for that 1 More Turn tile to flip. And when it did... man, everyone went into a panic on the last turn. And man, the reveal of the secret goals at the end was fucking great! I sort of wish you had more than one secret goal to go for, a la Keyflower, because only having the one feels a little bit like... the game is decided before final scoring. But this was great, and the mechanics were great, and while it took a little bit too long (compared to Keyflower, which takes like an hour tops) I think part of that might've been us not knowing the tiles and having to read them all over and over again.

Oh yeah and the speedbump mechanic... holy shit, that is GENIUS! Not only does it stop games from becoming snowball runaway victories, but it forces an interesting balancing mechanic in your strategies. I accidentally (seriously, without trying) kept getting reputation gains in the early game, so eventually my reputation was at +6 while everyone else had +1 or 0, which meant I was hitting tons of speedbumps. Eventually I had to buy a tile and place it STRATEGICALLY for the negative effect to bump down my reputation so I could build up a little bit of income.

It wont take that long to play through in the future, we can do a game in < an hour. It feels pretty railroady to me though once you play a couple games, the options you are given each turn feel incredibly small with how that extra cost can build up fast.
Taking a break from the site.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1873 (ISO) » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:15 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Have you played with the expansion?
green shirt thursdays
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1874 (ISO) » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:55 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 1873, xRECKONERx wrote:Have you played with the expansion?

I have, but not as many games.
Taking a break from the site.

Return to “The Arcade”