Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Phoenicks
Phoenicks
Goon
Phoenicks
Goon
Goon

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Post by Phoenicks »

In post 112, BBmolla wrote:
In post 111, Phoenicks wrote:Chat-based games are a Wild West. Standardizing them to match our ideas of Normal games would require tremendous debate.

?

How so it seems pretty straight forward. Just implement common forum mechanics into chat mafia. Obviously different times and such.

We implement common forum mechanics: the computer only ends phases on majority, implements normal roles as we know them; everyone agrees to NAR or some other universal night action resolution; we use the chat we have now with minor modifications; etc. etc. (Already, we're doing things differently from most F2F and many IRC players we'd want to attract.)

What happens when players disconnect? Do we punish the account, or inflict a waiting penalty, or assume a good faith wifi problem and do nothing?

Do we enable a private message or whisper system? Do we ban private messages in play and trust users not to cheat? Do we change the chat so that users can't privately message each other? If someone threatens me via PM on site, I can report the PM; how do we enforce our site rules on chat?

How do we make games? Do we have a queue, or do hosts make games to which players join, or can players join in private first and then join a game? Do hosts make setups and then post them, or is there a fixed list, or do players haggle about the setup while they're in sign-ups? ('Host' as in the first player in the room since the computer handles admin.)

Since forum games are kept on the wiki, do we need ranks for chat games? Do we treat them casually, without records? Is system more like IRC or epicmafia? Surely we don't keep logs of every chat game? How else do we incentivize proper play?

We'll all disagree. Someone (mith et al.) has to decide. All other chat mafia sites scaled poorly and attracted allcaps trolls and griefers. It would take great effort to make something that attracts new, quality users, or else isn't only an IRC for the players we already have.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Post by chamber »

Me and kison put the chat together in like a week. I don't have a strong attachment to it if there is a better option. I disagree with your solution being a better option. I'm not being biased by my work investment in my code because we considered the option before the code was written.

The bulk of the work required would be in things like a mafia bot, which would be needed independent of the platform.
Cosmetic changes aren't going to take a serious amount of work if that's where issues primarily lay with the current chat.
Taking a break from the site.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 125, Phoenicks wrote:Do we enable a private message or whisper system? Do we ban private messages in play and trust users not to cheat? Do we change the chat so that users can't privately message each other? If someone threatens me via PM on site, I can report the PM; how do we enforce our site rules on chat?

There is no automated process for this atm. Adding one is a reasonable suggestion. With that said all messages are logged so if someone ever says anything inappropriate to you, report it manually via PM to a discussion mod or admin.
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Post by Muffin »

In post 126, chamber wrote:Me and kison put the chat together in like a week. I don't have a strong attachment to it if there is a better option. I disagree with your solution being a better option. I'm not being biased by my work investment in my code because we considered the option before the code was written.

The bulk of the work required would be in things like a mafia bot, which would be needed independent of the platform.
Cosmetic changes aren't going to take a serious amount of work if that's where issues primarily lay with the current chat.

Assuming a mafia bot can't be found in some open source repository, I will help write one. The site chat needs more than cosmetic changes to be usable for mafia games IMHO.
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:04 pm

Post by Muffin »

In post 125, Phoenicks wrote:
In post 112, BBmolla wrote:
In post 111, Phoenicks wrote:Chat-based games are a Wild West. Standardizing them to match our ideas of Normal games would require tremendous debate.

?

How so it seems pretty straight forward. Just implement common forum mechanics into chat mafia. Obviously different times and such.

We implement common forum mechanics: the computer only ends phases on majority, implements normal roles as we know them; everyone agrees to NAR or some other universal night action resolution; we use the chat we have now with minor modifications; etc. etc. (Already, we're doing things differently from most F2F and many IRC players we'd want to attract.)

What happens when players disconnect? Do we punish the account, or inflict a waiting penalty, or assume a good faith wifi problem and do nothing?

Do we enable a private message or whisper system? Do we ban private messages in play and trust users not to cheat? Do we change the chat so that users can't privately message each other? If someone threatens me via PM on site, I can report the PM; how do we enforce our site rules on chat?

How do we make games? Do we have a queue, or do hosts make games to which players join, or can players join in private first and then join a game? Do hosts make setups and then post them, or is there a fixed list, or do players haggle about the setup while they're in sign-ups? ('Host' as in the first player in the room since the computer handles admin.)

Since forum games are kept on the wiki, do we need ranks for chat games? Do we treat them casually, without records? Is system more like IRC or epicmafia? Surely we don't keep logs of every chat game? How else do we incentivize proper play?

We'll all disagree. Someone (mith et al.) has to decide. All other chat mafia sites scaled poorly and attracted allcaps trolls and griefers. It would take great effort to make something that attracts new, quality users, or else isn't only an IRC for the players we already have.

Most of these seem like secondary concerns. If using IRC, anyone could run a game any way they wanted. All you need is channel operator status.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 128, Muffin wrote:The site chat needs more than cosmetic changes to be usable for mafia games IMHO.

Talk concretely about what it needs.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Post by Psyche »

we'd just need a full-screen option and a half-pane thing and a bot to run the games
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:49 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Merge the chatroom tab and the list of online tab imo.
Because that way we can keep track on who is in which mafia room without much effort.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Not exactly like this
but you get the idea.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Post by chamber »

I don't. How do you envision it working with additional windows? (where the games would presumably be played)
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Even with the design above it can work with how sitechat already works.
Minimized tabs shrink anyway, no?
Show
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:19 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Something like this.
Last edited by GuyInFreezer on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I HIGHLY doubt that site design as anything to do with this site going down hill but more advertising seems like a good idea.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Post by wgeurts »

Even better you could force access to the IRC through the forums or advertise the forums in the chat.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:16 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

In post 111, Phoenicks wrote:
In post 70, Shadoweh wrote:
It's funny that the Micro Queue is such an innovation here to be honest, because it plays out the way mafia is played everywhere else. Quick, small, not needing as much time investment. I look at joining a non-Micro game right now and wow, it would cut into my Christmas holiday. Who has time for that for a forum-game?

Agreed completely.

I think this stems from site expectations: long games are standard here. Mafiascum has the longest deadlines of anywhere I know. (This includes sites with games of 40+ players (~5 days) and role madness of 25+ (~24 hours).) Since games last weeks, they need to be well-modded, which takes more rigmarole. High demands require high standards.

I love our long deadlines. Without them, we'd rely less on logic, lying, and listening than on cops and doctors.

I don't think we agree at all actually. You say logic, lying and listening, I say apathy and a playerbase that votes and ends games because fuckit we've been playing forever let's just get it over with. Games do not last weeks. They last Months. What I should have said was if I look into joining a Large right now, it would cut into my plans for
Febuary
. In my personal and doubtlessly unpopular opinion I don't think a game day should be longer then 1 week, maximum. There is such a thing as just too damn long.
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:24 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Also if we're getting an irc server make sure a post # restriction (Mafia Goon status will be enough) so the spambot doesn't spam up the irc chat.
Show
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Post by Muffin »

In post 140, GuyInFreezer wrote:Also if we're getting an irc server make sure a post # restriction (Mafia Goon status will be enough) so the spambot doesn't spam up the irc chat.

Depending on which ircd is used you can require all registrations to be verified, restrict channels based on certain criteria, etc.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 141, Muffin wrote:
In post 140, GuyInFreezer wrote:Also if we're getting an irc server make sure a post # restriction (Mafia Goon status will be enough) so the spambot doesn't spam up the irc chat.

Depending on which ircd is used you can require all registrations to be verified, restrict channels based on certain criteria, etc.

He's assuming IRC access would be via forum accounts, which is an accurate assumption. He just also understands that sometimes spam bots get past our forum registration.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 139, Shadoweh wrote:In my personal and doubtlessly unpopular opinion I don't think a game day should be longer then 1 week, maximum.

It's ok for you to hold that opinion. I was just in a game with 8 day Days, and I felt I couldn't do anything in so little time. Making the game signup and creation system more flexible so that it can handle a wider variety of games is key to solving your issue I think. I'm the only one that's actually proposed any sort of change though, do you have any ideas?
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:51 pm

Post by Muffin »

In post 142, chamber wrote:

He's assuming IRC access would be via forum accounts, which is an accurate assumption. He just also understands that sometimes spam bots get past our forum registration.
Yes, I understood both his assumptions. Not sure what your point is.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Post by Katsuki »

In post 137, Nero Cain wrote:I HIGHLY doubt that site design as anything to do with this site going down hill but more advertising seems like a good idea.

^

IMO problem is the quality of games declining severely, but there's not much that can be done to fix that, mafia isn't a game where you can roll out a patch to fix meta.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:09 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 144, Muffin wrote:
In post 142, chamber wrote:

Yes, I understood both his assumptions. Not sure what your point is.

Because manual approval is just a really bad system at that point? There is a reason the forum isn't set to manual approval, it removes the responsiveness of the system, the very thing you should be looking to create with a chat community.
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Post by Muffin »

Ah, I see. My mistake. I wasn't suggesting manual approval, I see now I should have worded it more clearly.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:09 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Touching on newbie games, if you're really looking to appeal to a variety of users, the setup is probably less the problem than the fact that the deadline rules are uniform. Some people are maybe looking for phases that are a few days long, some maybe a week, some maybe more? Perhaps it's worthwhile to offer different deadline structures there?

I also think the setup should be simple enough that an IC can easily explain it, and on that thought, we shouldn't be frequently changing the setup as that's actually one of the things that can throw IC knowledge off. It kinda throws a curveball into explaining a setup flawlessly when the setup is new to you. I know personally in the F11 era I was never worried about screwing up in explaining that setup... when the setup was changed, that comfort was gone. I don't know if there's anyone else on the site that feels that way, maybe I'm the only one.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:44 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

In post 143, chamber wrote:
In post 139, Shadoweh wrote:In my personal and doubtlessly unpopular opinion I don't think a game day should be longer then 1 week, maximum.

It's ok for you to hold that opinion. I was just in a game with 8 day Days, and I felt I couldn't do anything in so little time. Making the game signup and creation system more flexible so that it can handle a wider variety of games is key to solving your issue I think. I'm the only one that's actually proposed any sort of change though, do you have any ideas?

From what I understand, the reason moderators here run longer games is because games have always been long here. I'm not sure changing how the queue system works would change what people think the base length of a game should be, rather then Mafiascum Official (tm) guidelines changing. Right now Newbies have to be run with two week deadlines, so the first experience in theory people have with this site is a month to two month long game. (with exceptions obviously for more likely to quickhammer..)

I am simply suggesting mods run shorter deadline games more often as a community. The good side of this is it seems deadlines do keep getting shorter here over time?
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir

Return to “Mafia Discussion”