Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:55 am

Post by Vi »

What your analysis doesn't consider is mafiascum's market share. It's my understanding that Mafia is continuing to spread throughout the Internet, but as a byproduct of that, that means that they're not playing it
here
. It used to be that people tried to play Mafia offsite, and then were redirected here because that's where their moderator learned it. Now there are mega-forums with established Mafia populations who don't
need
to hold this site and its wiki up as examples of how to play. If we knew how many people were actively playing Mafia here versus other large sites and large Mafia populations, and learning what they're doing differently or what pool of potential players they're drawing from, etc. One interesting side note is that it's not very easy to get a Mafia population started - many attempts on non-dedicated boards fizzle after a few games, or don't get larger than a handful of people.

Following from that, I'm curious to know how and how much the post-forum generation plays Mafia. It's not really a tumblr/Twitter kind of game, though it does work in chat rooms (what? chat rooms?! that is
so
AOL) and it does work face-to-face (see: board games thriving). If our site population is squeezed between old people who no longer have the time to play and/or can't deal with the accelerating meta (e.g. me) and young people who wouldn't join the forum to start with, then etc.

I don't think that trying to accommodate different playstyles with unique games per queue will work. Doing so assumes a critical mass of people per playstyle who would play games specifically because it caters to them, rather than just playing a one-off as a novelty. Between the ISO feature, Private Topics, and our ability to have 100 games running at once, we're pretty far ahead of almost every other site in re: being able to host Mafia games; so I don't think it's that we're incapable of hosting the world's Mafia population.

MBF's flash was outdated years ago; no one seems to see it but me. <_< I know that we no longer have the only Mafia wiki out there, and that it's not necessarily the dominant Mafia wiki in some circles. It's my understanding that our Mafia wiki hasn't been updated all that much since the last time I burned days of my life on it in 2010, but it's not like a whole lot has changed anyway except our own site's policy (which outsiders wouldn't care much about). This just ties back to my first point - that mafiascum no longer provides exclusive access to Mafia. Even if our wiki were made of Internet gold bricks, A) the only people who are interested in our wiki are people who are already playing Mafia, and B) those people have more options than just
us
if they want a non-amateur Mafia experience. Competition, etc.

I do like the second half of your advertising post, though that
also
ties into market research. The best way to find out where Mafia's future is is to go find some young people who don't play, get it going face-to-face, and then see how they'd continue playing it later with their friends. Since it doesn't fit the dominant media of today, chances are the answer will be "face-to-face", and forums may not even be thought of. If that's the case, well, best enjoy this place now.

Side note: I
specialty forums. You can do so much more with them because you have so many dedicated fans in one place, and there's an audience for creative things in that specialty. So this whole thing makes me :|
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #53 (isolation #1) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 22, wgeurts wrote:Once resorting and updating info like "Games Played" is out the way I can hunt for people to make articles on meta now, update and discuss role balance and all that stuff.
These priorities seem reversed. :?

@automation: Would I be mistaken in saying that EpicMafia has that to a significant degree? responding to the "no other site has that" comment. I'm also skeptical about how automated signups would be useful. Getting into a game immediately would be cool, but the result is still a game that takes weeks. If the pacing of our games is a problem - which in an era of pick-up-and-play game phone apps may be the case - then it's going to help get people in the door but won't help retention.

The entire "this web site looks like it sucks" discussion bores me tbqh. However, I do think that making mafBlack the default skin is a good idea. The less we can look like we're using forum defaults, the better.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #57 (isolation #2) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:34 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 55, xRECKONERx wrote:EpicMafia is automated to run quick chat based games. I'm talking automation that tracks games you're in, let's the mod designate what factions won, tracks statistics, provides a summary of what alignments or roles you draw most often, success rates as various alignments or roles, etc
I agree that would be interesting, but unless it looks exceptionally shiny I don't think that's going to get new people in the door. The people who care about that sort of thing are generally well-established (and create vanity pages on the wiki) and aren't likely to quit because it's
not
there. Like, if you had a 100% win rate or only ever drew Town once that would be something really cool that you could show your friends, but statistically speaking most people aren't going to get that.

and I'm sorry if the style conversation bores you, but we are a website and this discussion is about how to become more appealing to users.
I'd snark back, but admittedly what I said was not just gauche but probably undervalues the "first impression" factor as well. Sorry.

chamber wrote:I don't think dismissing any idea's yet is a good idea. I do think we may want to sub-segment discussion though. Let wiki people talk about wiki priorities and design people talk about site design.
Less "dismissing" and more "prioritizing". Please don't get me wrong, most if not all of the things presented here would add value, but for answering how to attract and retain newbies, they're not equally effective.

*Search results (should already be maxed out or close to it)
*Innovative outreach projects - apps and chats, for instance (market research goes in here somewhere)
*Site image/layout (first impressions)
*Retention improvements (geared toward newbies)
*Wiki (no longer the outreach tool it was)
*Back-end automation (geared toward established players/mods)
is my guess for how I'd prioritize things.

Selling Mafia merch to pay for upgrades is an interesting idea. I'd be curious to see how that would work based on our previous sales of T-shirts, etc.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”